flying with peanut allergy

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had to research this issue in the last couple of months. Wipes work quite well.

http://www.foodallergy.org/page/cleaning-methods

What does not work well for cleaning is a dry paper towel. Hand sanitizing gel also does not remove allergens.

Those chemical drenched wipes cause major breathing issues for others.

Yes, those chemical drenched wipes that are used to clean potential allergens may put another into an asthma attack. Unscented wipes are better and more considerate to those fellow passengers. As a PP posted, perhaps carrying a cloth in a ziploc bag and wetting it with soap and water would be even better.

Those chemical drenched wipes cause major breathing issues for others.

First of all, I think that you misinterpreted Dashzap's post. She was responding to Betty Rohrer who said wipes won't remove allergens. I concured and provided a link from FAAN.

What chemical in particular are you sensitive to? Bleach or is it something else like the fragrance? I ask because some people are saying that non-scented wipes are okay, but non-scented wipes have cleaning chemicals in them as well. What happens to you when you are around the chemical drenched wipes? I would like to be sensitive to those with these issues, but as the parent of a child who has a proven and severe anaphylactic food allergy (and asthmatic) that will cause her throat to swell and for her blood pressure to drop rapidly, I need to know who to sufficiently clean the area that she is sitting on an airplane. I'm happy to use unscented wipes as long as it is proven to remove allergens.

First of all, I think that you misinterpreted Dashzap's post. She was responding to Betty Rohrer who said wipes won't remove allergens. I concured and provided a link from FAAN.

What chemical in particular are you sensitive to? Bleach or is it something else like the fragrance? I ask because some people are saying that non-scented wipes are okay, but non-scented wipes have cleaning chemicals in them as well. What happens to you when you are around the chemical drenched wipes? I would like to be sensitive to those with these issues, but as the parent of a child who has a proven and severe anaphylactic food allergy (and asthmatic) that will cause her throat to swell and for her blood pressure to drop rapidly, I need to know who to sufficiently clean the area that she is sitting on an airplane. I'm happy to use unscented wipes as long as it is proven to remove allergens.

Bleach and fragrance. Both cause life threatening breathing issues. And just to clarify it is not as simple as being "sensitive" to something. You would not say your child is "sensitive" to peanuts would you? No, your child reacts. So do we and many more like us. Throat swells, unable to breath, contact reactions, hives etc.

Bleach and fragrance. Both cause life threatening breathing issues. And just to clarify it is not as simple as being "sensitive" to something. You would not say your child is "sensitive" to peanuts would you? No, your child reacts. So do we and many more like us. Throat swells, unable to breath, contact reactions, hives etc.

My child isn't anything to peanuts, but she does have a very severe, anaphylactic allergy to another food. Her test levels are off the charts (and have been since she was first tested at 7 months old) and she had an anaphylactic reaction recently that was believed to have occurred as a result of using shared math tools in her classroom. She is extremely "sensitive" and needs to have her seat and tray table wiped down sufficiently.

I didn't mean to minimize your child's reaction, but you didn't state that your child had an allergy (and it still isn't clear if that is the case from your post above). Saying he/she was sensitive was not intended in any negative way. My allergic child is very sensitive to certain foods (she also has pretty bad asthma, so I understand where you are coming from if that is your concern).

I still want to know what I can use to clean my child's seat while being sensitive (;)) to the issues that others have. What do you clean your house with? Is there a certain product that airlines and restaurants use that cleans/disinfects that are less toxic to people with allergies to cleaning chemicals. I know they have a Sani-Hands for Kids. I have no idea what is in it, but would that be better for me to bring on a plane? I need something, and water will not remove allergens.

My child isn't anything to peanuts, but she does have a very severe, anaphylactic allergy to another food. Her test levels are off the charts (and have been since she was first tested at 7 months old) and she had an anaphylactic reaction recently that was believed to have occurred as a result of using shared math tools in her classroom. She is extremely "sensitive" and needs to have her seat and tray table wiped down sufficiently.

I didn't mean to minimize your child's reaction, but you didn't state that your child had an allergy (and it still isn't clear if that is the case from your post above). Saying he/she was sensitive was not intended in any negative way. My allergic child is very sensitive to certain foods (she also has pretty bad asthma, so I understand where you are coming from if that is your concern).

I still want to know what I can use to clean my child's seat while being sensitive (;)) to the issues that others have. What do you clean your house with? Is there a certain product that airlines and restaurants use that cleans/disinfects that are less toxic to people with allergies to cleaning chemicals. I know they have a Sani-Hands for Kids. I have no idea what is in it, but would that be better for me to bring on a plane? I need something, and water will not remove allergens.

Sorry, I used "peanuts" as a generic allergy-I don't know your families specific allergies.

As far as cleaning, we use baking soda or all natural cleaners. Seventh Generation makes some good products (and they have wipes). I don't know about Sani hands-I wonder if that is the one Sue mentioned. It looks like Sani Hands is "green" based (renewable anyway). Greenworks is also another "natural" line of cleaners. Green(unscented) is usually ok for most.

Sorry, I used "peanuts" as a generic allergy-I don't know your families specific allergies.

As far as cleaning, we use baking soda or all natural cleaners. Seventh Generation makes some good products (and they have wipes). I don't know about Sani hands-I wonder if that is the one Sue mentioned. It looks like Sani Hands is "green" based (renewable anyway). Greenworks is also another "natural" line of cleaners. Green(unscented) is usually ok for most.

Thank you! I love the Seventh Generation products. I'll take a closer look and see if they or the Greenworks are effective at removing allergens.

Before I had a child with food allergies, I didn't think much about any of these issues. I really appreciate being able to learn about issues like your family's chemical sensitivities (I don't mean that negatively!!!!!), so I can make changes to our practices and hopefully not negatively impact another person's travels.

Thank you! I love the Seventh Generation products. I'll take a closer look and see if they or the Greenworks are effective at removing allergens.

Before I had a child with food allergies, I didn't think much about any of these issues. I really appreciate being able to learn about issues like your family's chemical sensitivities (I don't mean that negatively!!!!!), so I can make changes to our practices and hopefully not negatively impact another person's travels.

Believe me I really appreciate when someone wants to listen/help! Thank you!

amarberry, thank you understanding others allergies. what bother me is what seems to be the thinking of some parents " i will keep my child safe, you just deal with it" i want you child to travel safe but i also need to travel safe. for my grandson, peanut allerg, we use a soapy cloth then replace on ziploc bag.

amarberry, thank you understanding others allergies. what bother me is what seems to be the thinking of some parents " i will keep my child safe, you just deal with it" i want you child to travel safe but i also need to travel safe. for my grandson, peanut allerg, we use a soapy cloth then replace on ziploc bag.

THis is exactly what I was going to recommend. You bring a clean cloth from home. Go to the restroom prior to the boarding and load up the cloth with hot/soapy water and place in ziploc bag. You then wipe down tray table and seat with said cloth and put the cloth back in the ziploc bag. Personally, I would throw it away after as it may have potential allergens in it. Don't forget to bring as many cloths as flights. One thing I didn't think about is that if you wipe down the tray tables etc...what do you do as far as hand rails and door knobs at WDW? I would think those could have potential allergens as well.

THis is exactly what I was going to recommend. You bring a clean cloth from home. Go to the restroom prior to the boarding and load up the cloth with hot/soapy water and place in ziploc bag. You then wipe down tray table and seat with said cloth and put the cloth back in the ziploc bag. Personally, I would throw it away after as it may have potential allergens in it. Don't forget to bring as many cloths as flights. One thing I didn't think about is that if you wipe down the tray tables etc...what do you do as far as hand rails and door knobs at WDW? I would think those could have potential allergens as well.

The difference between allergic reactions on an airplane versus on ground was discussed extensively in the thread on the transportation boards. Of course there is always a risk of contact exposure on any commonly touched surface. The risk on ground, like the risk on an airplane, is minimal. My daughter has lived with a severe allergy for almost 8 years before recently having a reaction that was most likely caused by touching something that had egg residue and then putting her hand in her mouth (which of course she shouldn't do, but she is 7).

However, the difference is that on ground an EMT can reach you in a matter of minutes. In the air, that is not going to happen. That is why severe allergy sufferers have a hyper state of vigilance when on an airplane. Epipens only by you time to get emergency treatment.

As for the soapy rag, I suppose that is an option, but aren't there chemicals and fragrances in the soap at the airport? Would something like the Seventh Generation wipes be preferable?

The difference between allergic reactions on an airplane versus on ground was discussed extensively in the thread on the transportation boards. Of course there is always a risk of contact exposure on any commonly touched surface. The risk on ground, like the risk on an airplane, is minimal. My daughter has lived with a severe allergy for almost 8 years before recently having a reaction that was most likely caused by touching something that had egg residue and then putting her hand in her mouth (which of course she shouldn't do, but she is 7).

However, the difference is that on ground an EMT can reach you in a matter of minutes. In the air, that is not going to happen. That is why severe allergy sufferers have a hyper state of vigilance when on an airplane. Epipens only by you time to get emergency treatment.

As for the soapy rag, I suppose that is an option, but aren't there chemicals and fragrances in the soap at the airport? Would something like the Seventh Generation wipes be preferable?

Personally, I would not suggest the soap in airports. I know some have gone to very harsh scents and chemicals. I have not encountered "unscented" airport bathroom soap.

I have not read in detail every response here, but wanted to give the OP the details of how we do it. DD6 is peanut and tree nut allergic. We have flown 3 times, all on JetBlue.

1) Call airline and let them know about FA. They will likely let you know their "procedure".

2) I pack in our carry on

two plastic bags (for tying up and throwing out our trash)
wipes to wipe down the area
paper towels to dry it off
Table Toppers - these are plastic "sheets" that stick to the tray table. After cleaning the tray table I put one on and put a clean paper towel in between that and the seat back. They are for toddlers, but I use them to cover the tray.
Epi Pens/Benadryl.

I bring 4-6 epis...in case of malfunction or delayed time in an emergency landing.

I don't have DD sit on a towel.

I don't let her use the airline pillow/blanket.

3) Tell gate agent when you arrive about allergy and request to preboard

4) Preboard and tell flight attendant about allergy.

5) clean area and check for stray nuts

6) I have DD wear long pants/sleeves

7) I pack lots of Wet Ones hand wipes. She will either wash her hands or use a wipe before eating anything.

8) Flight attendant might make an announcement that they won't serve nut products, they might just create a buffer (one row ahead and behind), they might forget to do anyhing at all... we've had all three. For us the good thing is 3 of us fly together so we usually fill the row. DD sits by the window (wipe down the window, shade, wall).

9) I am nervous the entire flight and glad when we land. I constantly remind her not to put her hands near her mouth, unless they have been cleaned off.

10) I always thank the flight attendants if they make the announcement and create the buffer to let them know I appreciate it.

That's interesting about the reactions to chemical wipes. I think I used "Method" wipes last time, I'll have to consider the new info I learned here. You learn something new all the time!

Best of luck, I know it is stressful!

It would just be common courtesy to help another human being out so they don't get extremely ill or die during a flight. What goes around comes around and there's no denying that!

This topic comes up several times a month on every internet discussion board which has anything to do with flying. There's really nothing new to add, except that your freedoms end where mine begin. You don't have a right to travel by airplane. If your allergies are that severe, then don't fly. Yes, people should be considerate of those with allergies and those with allergies should be considerate of everyone else, however your allergies don't trump other people's needs.

(Honestly, I don't even like peanuts).
So a child who needs to fly across the country to go to a grandparents funeral should be denied because someone wants to eat peanuts on a flight? They should drive?!? There are thousands of food choices and only one life per person. I would think that most human beings would be respectful enough to help a fellow human being out so that they don't get extremely ill or die during a flight. Peanuts to those that have the life threatening allergy are like guns to you and your loved ones. It's sad, but it's true. Compassion goes a long way in all circumstances.

the problems with scents can be just as severe as peanut. ask my former employer when i could not catch my breath. had to be taken out by EMTs. both sides have to think about others, no one is above the other. prefer to drive but had to fly on 2 MAW trips.

So a child who needs to fly across the country to go to a grandparents funeral should be denied because someone wants to eat peanuts on a flight? They should drive?!? There are thousands of food choices and only one life per person. I would think that most human beings would be respectful enough to help a fellow human being out so that they don't get extremely ill or die during a flight. Peanuts to those that have the life threatening allergy are like guns to you and your loved ones. It's sad, but it's true. Compassion goes a long way in all circumstances.

If a person's allergy really is bad enough that one other person on the flight eating a food could kill them, they can ask and usually the other person will be nice about it. But that is a risk to be taken when you put yourself in an enclosed space with other people. What happens when your peanut free snack is life threatening to somebody else? It could just as easily be a severe allergy to milk, eggs, scent, etc. Severe allergies are NOT limited to peanut. How about if somebody with a specific allergy or asthma requested that you couldn't wear deodorant or perfume? Or that you couldn't have milk products? Is that going too far? They have the right to fly too. Their life is more important than your shampooing that day.
Most peanut allergies are not anywhere near severe enough that it is reasonable to demand nobody on the plane can have any. Compassion is a two way street, as noted in the previous pages there are cases where a person's needed accommodation is to HAVE peanuts. The second person's accommodation to not have them is a contradiction... every time there are two people, there is more than one side to consider.

I am going to close his thread again.
It was reported on to continue a debate, rather than to offer useful information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter