flying with peanut allergy

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone have any experience on any flights with a peanut allergy.....i always go southwest but with my daughter having a peanut allergy im trying to find out what is the best airline to go with....she has never been on the plane with me.....

I fly with a peanut allergic son on Southwest (just took a flight Sunday as a matter of fact). Southwest will skip serving peanuts on your flight if you give them advance notice. The alternate snack sometimes is a "may contain". The planes will have stray peanuts on the floor etc. from other flights, which isn't a problem for us as he doesn't lick the carpet :rotfl:. If your daughter is very little, bring lots of wipes to wipe down as many surfaces as possible. Bring extra meds, including extra epi-pens (what if one is defective and you are at 30,000 feet).

My son has only reacted from what he has eaten, so Southwest has worked fine for us.

]I almost always travel with a bag of nuts in my purse. Why? Because I have hypoglycemia[/B]. There are very few easily portable, high-protein snacks. Having peanuts with me allows me to relax and know that if I start to get hypoglycemic I can handle it.

Airborne reactions to peanuts are rare and occur only if a large amount of peanut residue enters the air. This theoretically could happen if everyone on a plane opened their bags of nuts at the same time. Touching a surface contaminated with nut residue could cause a reaction if the child then puts his hands in his mouth.

Anyone travelling with a child with such severe allergies that another person eating peanuts near them would cause anaphylaxis shouldn't fly. In fact, I can't imagine how they go anywhere at all, least of all Disney, where children undoubtedly leave residue all over everything, including handrails, etc. Many of the restaurants in Disney serve peanut butter. Such severe sensitivites are rare, but parents are so scared by the possibility of a reaction that they understandably go overboard, in some cases.

On the other hand, I can see why parents who have experienced severe allergies in their children are hypervigilant. Airplanes have become one of the main arenas of the "peanut wars" due their traditionally serving peanuts--a portable, high-protein snack--on flights and the fact that the plane is an enclosed space. Hyper-allergenic kids go lots of other places where nuts are available without the hysteria of peanut contamination. What about the supermarket? Mine has loose nuts you bag yourself. The movie theater? The school lunchroom issue has become crazy in some school districts and it's insane to think that anyone but the allergic child would be isolated. If I were the parent of a child who had to sit by himself because he had a peanut butter sandwich the fur would fly!

Airlines take the best approach by not offering peanuts as a snack. The time they spend cleaning the planes between passenger loads obviously isn't adequate to eliminate all peanut residue from a seat, but some cleaning products trigger my asthma. Who has "more" rights in this situation? I would not eat nuts if I were seated next to a child with life-threatening allergies just because of the risk of getting residue on the seat that she might pick up on her hands. I certainly wouldn't take them out of my purse and throw them away, though! But if a child has that severe a reaction, I think the burden is on the parents to isolate the child by putting her by the window or away from people as much as possible on the plane.

Bolded mine. This is my point. I agree with you totally. Some people seem to think their "rights" are more important than someone else's. A PP put it well something to the fact of, your rights end where mine begin.

A PP said they would ask the surrounding passengers not to consume nuts. What if one of the surrounding passengers was sensitive to the wipes; would you not use those? Genuine curiosity.

I also agree the burden is on the parents.

Bolded mine. This is my point. I agree with you totally. Some people seem to think their "rights" are more important than someone else's. A PP put it well something to the fact of, your rights end where mine begin.

A PP said they would ask the surrounding passengers not to consume nuts. What if one of the surrounding passengers was sensitive to the wipes; would you not use those? Genuine curiosity.

I also agree the burden is on the parents.

In my experience-they go ahead and use the wipes. The interesting thing is according to the research I have read, soap and water work better than the chemical dripping wipes for cleaning up peanut residue.

In that case of the two allergies, the airline usually does it's best to meet both needs. They will create a "buffer" of several rows for each person. Usually this meets both needs. The problem comes in when extreme parents make unreasonable demands(on either side).

I have not read this entire thread...I've just gone through a very similar one over on the Theme Parks board.
To anyone flying with a peanut allergy.....let the airline know before you get there. Then, once you get to the gate area, let them know again. Then, you should be able to preboard, and clean down the immediate area. I would also recommend bringing a sheet or large towel that will cover the seat and arm rests....that way, if you miss something it won't be a huge issue. Be extra diligent about the tray table area..that gets plain nasty.

I hear all the time from people who feel their rights are being taken away if they are asked to refrain from eating peanut butter on a flight. And in all reality??? It doesn't happen very often. The majority of parents that face this issue daily already know what to do when flying. These parents aren't going to depend on the other passengers to keep their kids safe. But man...a little compassion goes a long way.

Asking is not the same as demanding. Asking is not unreasonable. I repeat, I am entitled to ask and you are entitled to say no.

It's clear you don't have any personal experience with food allergy or your responses wouldn't be so flip. I sincerely hope that you don't encounter this kind of negativity with your life's struggles.

I hope the moderator shuts this thread down. I'm beginning to lose faith.

:tink: DVCDawn

I hope this thread does not get shut down. Not only does it have great information in it. It also shows how controversial flying with an allergy is. And I say allergy, because it's not all about peanuts.

Do I think you're being rude in asking someone to NOT eat their peanuts? No. I simply think you are being a mom and looking out for a child. Trying to protect and doing the parent thing that you parents do (no, I am not a parent:))

Do I think you might be unreasonable? Yes. Your child lives in a world where there are nuts. Everywhere they go. Are you going to keep them from a concert hall? Or ask the people around you to not eat them? In school settings their whole life....high school and college/university? Make classmates stop eating nuts? In movie theatres. The list is endless. Because the peanut is everywhere.

The best thing that a parent can do, is make sure she is careful and smart and prepared. AND, if by someone eating a nut 2 seats over is going to create an anaphylatic reaction, then you might want to rethink flying. If just the 'smell' of a peanut can do that, I wouldn't want to be in a tin can how many thousand feet in the air?

And, if people with allergies get to ask others to not eat the food that causes the allergic reaction, anyone flying with my sister in law, wouldn't be eating snacks on the plane.

I will ask people to refrain from eating the following then:
fruit including: apples, strawberries, raspberries, cherries, grapes, pears, kiwi, mango, grapefruit, coconut, lime
veggies including: carrots, radishes, sweet potatos, beans
no chips because she can't have the oils that the chips are baked in
no trail mix because the contain raisins (most brands)
and no sunflower seeds.....

so, Im not sure what you might eat on the plane when travelling on the same flight as her.

Oh. And please don't clean the seats with any chemical cleaning product. As she is allergic to those as well.

But. She won't ask you to not eat that stuff. She knows the world doesn't revolve around her. She knows that people need to eat. As does she. She knows that she has to be careful what she eats. What she touches. She has to wipe surfaces down. She has to carry her medication with her ALL the time. She lives. She flies. She won't inconvenience someone else just because she is inconvenienced. Her mom taught her how to live with it.

this is not related to peanuts, but is related to someone’s needs and demands.
last trip, I had been shunted off to my usual waiting spot in one of the lines.. don't ask me which one, I just remember I had to get out of the chair and stand in one of those marked off areas before actually getting onto the line that opened up by the ride seats. Family in front of me.. Mom, dad, 2 smaller kids were sent to the first 'section' and we (DH and I ) were instructed to stand in the adjacent one. well this woman threw a complete and TOTAL fit swearing that I damn well better NOT stand in the section the CASTMEMBER TOLD ME to stand in because her child had a compromised immune system and couldn't be exposed to germs.

"Uhm Lady? you are at Walt Disney World. the place is CRAWLING with people who have colds and allergies and questionable hygiene habits riding in rides that are not wiped down after every run through.

she YELLED at the CM accusing him of endangering her child's life. I am ON Immunosuppresive therapy. bet my immune system was no more fragile than his was. If your kid is that susceptible was bringing him to Disney the most intelligent choice as a responsible parent? without a filter/mask? I got the dirtiest looks from her since I refused to move.. after all, I was where I was told to be( and by that time a third group was in the final section anyway)

it's people like her that make it less likely that anyone else would be inclined to be reasonable/considerate/compassionate.

your issue..whatever it may ne.. DOES NOT trump anyone else's

For those who say no one should eat peanuts, you don't know what their medical issues are. Treating a insulin reaction is no less important than your child's peanut allergy and if the person has a candy bar that happens to have peanuts in it they will eat it. Self preservation!. They are not going to let themselves go into insulin shock and end up having to be removed from the flight by EMTs.
As to people and parents of children with peanut allergies do tend to go overboard at times. School must be peanut free. Give me a break. They are going to have to learn how to deal with places serve peanuts and the younger they learn to deal with the ins and outs the better.

Lest you think I don't understand, my oldest daughter is allergic to peanuts, mango, shellfish and milk. My second daughter is only allergic to mango and I am allergic to all beef based dairy, shellfish and mango as well as having diabetes. We deal with these on a daily basis and it isn't easy but we also do not ask others to deny themselves things we are allergic to around us. And trust me, if I am having an insulin reaction I will eat whatever I have with me to stop it whether it contains peanuts or not. Normally I use a tube of icing gel but with all the limitations on products flying I would probably take a candy bar on a flight or a bag of shelled peanuts.

I'm so happy to see all the reasonable allergy sufferers posting here too.

Unfortunately, nut allergies happen to collide with one of the most portable sources of protein. Diabetic/hypogycemics (way more common than peanut allergies) and even just energetic kids need a source of protein every few hours to stay healthy. There aren't too many low-sugar protein options that people actually like to eat and don't need refrigeration. It's a total bummer that it happens to be a more widespread and severe allergy than most, but both sides have a right to their comfort and safety. I would totally go a little hungry to keep a kid with allergies near me safer, but I can't say I'd feel the same if it was the only healthy thing available to my child.

Having the airline not serve peanuts, being allowed to pre-board to clean and making a few-row barrier of non-peanut eating seems to have covered all the actual NEEDS of an allergy sufferer. If a parent is still worried, shouldn't it be on them to take additional precautions, to affect their comfort and enjoyment of the flight? A mask and gloves could eliminate all worry. Why is it that the whole plane should be inconvenienced and made to not eat PB&J sandwiches so one or two people don't have to wear a mask?

Peanuts are going to happen everywhere. Isn't it better for kids to learn how to modify their own behavior to keep themselves safe than to live in a world where it is done for them? Aren't they going to be on their own one day and need to know how to avoid these problems? Actually, I think that a lot about some of the parenting I witness these days, allergy-related or not.

For those with children with severe allergies, I can understand why you're so worked up. I can't imagine watching my kid turn blue. It would give me PTSD for years just thinking about it. I'm glad your daughter is ok and really do have sympathy for what you went through, but I don’t think it is reasonable to ask a whole flight to change their behavior. I know, just from having to see my kid in the NICU, how traumatic that kind of thing can be.

I have not read this entire thread...I've just gone through a very similar one over on the Theme Parks board.
To anyone flying with a peanut allergy.....let the airline know before you get there. Then, once you get to the gate area, let them know again. Then, you should be able to preboard, and clean down the immediate area. I would also recommend bringing a sheet or large towel that will cover the seat and arm rests....that way, if you miss something it won't be a huge issue. Be extra diligent about the tray table area..that gets plain nasty.

I hear all the time from people who feel their rights are being taken away if they are asked to refrain from eating peanut butter on a flight. And in all reality??? It doesn't happen very often. The majority of parents that face this issue daily already know what to do when flying. These parents aren't going to depend on the other passengers to keep their kids safe. But man...a little compassion goes a long way.

I really think most people on the thread are compassionate and would be in a situation in which, say, they were on a plane seated by a severely allergic person.

If someone boards and says 'I know I'm in the row in front of you but believe it or not if you eat peanuts, the airborne peanut molecules could cause me to have a reaction, it's that severe,' most people would probably either simply say 'no problem,' or say 'oh, my kid only eats pbj and that's all we have - maybe the flight attendant could move you or us to the other end of the plane?' That'd seem a reasonable, compassionate, understandable exchange to me.

The issue people have is the 'my child is allergic thus not only should no peanuts be served (which can make sense if the person is so allergic that airborne or contact molecules could cause a reaction)' turns into they would hope every person on the flight, no matter where, would refrain from eating peanuts, even if it's not airborne.

Two separate people mentioned seeing a peanut or piece of peanut on the floor and being bothered, one crying and panicking over it. That's what gets peoples' eyes rolling and makes them want to give up the dialogue, I think.

As someone noted, what is your kid going to do, lick the carpet? If it's a child so young as for that to be possible, then throw your coat down or request a fresh blanket to put over the floor. In all other cases, it's not going to leap off the floor into your kid's mouth. Yes, it's scary but there has to be a level of reality involved.

Here's where I stand on this whole thing...and I have posted on these types of threads many times.

I think there are issues on both sides. I don't think those who do not have a severe food allergy will ever be able to understand what we deal with on a regular basis especially when travelling and I think many people these days in general lack consideration for others and it happens to be very prevalent in regards to this topic.

However, I do think there are people with allergies who have unrealistic expectations. However, what is unrealistic seems to differ from person to person. The way I travel is based on recommendations form my allergist and form my experiences.

I am anaphylaxis to peanuts. I am also extremely sensitive to the smell of peanuts. I also have severe asthma which gets much worse when flying so I have to take that into consideration as well.

The big issue for me when flying is that if an airline serves peanuts and most of the plane opens those bags of peanuts around the same time, the airborne particles can send me into an asthma attack and allergic reaction. A few people throughout the plane eating peanuts or peanut butter is not an issue...its when its the entire plane because it is a confined space.

If I am flying SWA, I let them know that I have a peanut dust allergy. They do not serve peanuts on that flight. On SWA and every other airline I fly (usually Jetblue or Virgin America) I also pre board and get the chance to wipe down my seat and tray table (and don't start with the chemical wipes....I have very severe asthma and chemical allergies....the ones I use have no frangrence to them...they were recommended by both my pulmonologist and allergist). However, I have NEVER had them make an announcement about passengers not being able to eat what they bring on board and I would never expect that. BUT, that being said, if I am sitting next to someone who takes out peanuts or a PB sandwich mid flight, I would definitley say something. I've never had that happen yet....but we'll see what happens when I fly in Spetember....

I also take my own precautions. I rarely eat on flights. Even cross country flights. If I do eat, it is something that I don't have to use a tray table for because even if I wipe it off, you never know. I also carry enough epipens to last at least an hour (each one only lasts about 10 minutes and I usually travel with about 8 of them).

I don't expect everywhere to be peanut free (even though there are sometimes that I wish peanuts did not exist...I usually wish that for a few weeks after a reaction....but I also sometimes have the same wish sometimes about eggs, shellfish, broccoli, ginger and thyme....all things I am allergic to) but I would hope to get some compassion and consideration from my fellow passengers.

I try to be considerate to others because this is MY allergy, not anyone else's...but I would also hope that people would try and understand my situation and be considerate to me as well. I know the risks that I take when I fly (or really...when I go anywhere) but I did not ask for this life and its not fair to say that I should not be able to travel. I don't demand (or request) anything that does not already exist. But if the accomodations are available to me, I will take them. I learned very quickly that accomodations are available for a reason and that there is nothing wrong with requesting them if necessary.

Its a 2 way street and the extremes on both sides need to chill out and learn some consideration and compassion for others.

Oh...and parents, if you let your child eat a peanut butter sandwich on a plane PLEASE wipe there hands and face before you let them run up and down the aisles touching everything!!! I'm not saying dont let them eat it...just be considerate about it! Yes, that did happen on our last flight.

if a person has such sever allergies that being in a confined space puts them at risk THEN DON'T FLY. take the train. drive. whatever. do not assume that your right to a safe environment means you are allowed to tell others what they can and cannot eat.

But the thing is, sometimes flying is the only option. I'm going to England this year, from Canada. I work. Taking a boat is not an option, as it takes too long to get there. Can't walk, drive or take the train from Canada to Heathrow.

I have severe food allergies and while I would like a safe environment and can request one, I would never tell anyone what they could or could not eat. What I would request is that people at least have some compassion/empathy.

However, I have NEVER had them make an announcement about passengers not being able to eat what they bring on board and I would never expect that. BUT, that being said, if I am sitting next to someone who takes out peanuts or a PB sandwich mid flight, I would definitley say something. I've never had that happen yet....but we'll see what happens when I fly in Spetember....

What would you say though? "Don't eat that!"? Do you have food that you can offer them instead? Are you going to pay for them to buy a snack (assuming that the flight even has something for sale)? I have my own allergies and can rarely eat food offered on flights, so even that wouldn't help me.

I know that you think you are being considerate by not having them make an announcement, but letting people know if the issue when they are still in the airport is actually the only way that some people (like me) even have a chance of finding other food. Although that still brings into the issue - are you going to pay for the food that they now have to purchase? Many/most people who bring food do so to save money by avoiding buying food in the airport or on the airplane.

Now, I avoid bringing peanut butter (or other nut products with me). However, not everyone thinks of it (before someone mentioned it to me, peanuts were my snack of choice for plane trips).

I'm not trying to attack you (really!), I'm just pointing out complications that you may not have thought of.

You may notice that some of your posts got deleted or edited.

That is because this thread, like most of those about peanut allergies, usually get rather heated.
That is because, like many issues, there are many sides to the issue.
In many cases, what one person considered the best solution to their problem prevents someone else from being able to use what they consider the best solution to their problem.

No one is trying to be selfish or rude or demanding (hurtful words I deleted). They are trying to deal with their own situation as well as they believe they can.
They may not be aware of other sides of the discussion because they may not have thought about them before.
A question was asked, "if you are not allergic to peanuts, why would you read this thread?"

Many people have said why - they may not be allergic, but they have some other situation that make peanuts or peanut allergies important to them.

Some situations include:
1) someone with diabetes who uses peanuts as an easy to carry source of protein that doesn't need refrigeration and can be carried thru security without any special handling because it is not a liquid. They are interested in keeping their blood sugar level and not having any problems 30,000 feet into the air.

2) someone who is autistic and eats very few foods (for some reason, peanut butter is quite popular among many people with autism). Their family members are interested in keeping them calm during the flight, without having any meltdowns due to hunger or not getting a food they are expecting to eat.

3) someone who has reactions to chemical wipes and is afraid of have a reaction in flight from some product used by someone cleaning their area to get rid of peanut residue. They are interested in not having any medical problems 30,000 feet in the air.

All of these people might be very interested in a thread about peanut allergies without being allergic themselves.

Then, you have the people who maybe never even heard of peanut allergies and just happened to bring something with peanuts along because peanuts are easy to carry and not a storage problem.
Some are like my father in law on one flight. He was hungry and wanted a little something for the next leg of is flight. He went to the vending machine and saw a Salted Nut Roll. He hadn't had one in years, so he bought one to eat on the flight.
He had never heard of peanut allergies until the flight attendant announced that they would be serving pretzels, not peanuts and asked that passengers with peanuts not eat them. My FIL never brought peanuts on a flight again because he figured that he might not be able to eat them.

Most people will be like that - polite and not eat their peanuts if requested. There may be some who refuse, but the majority won't.

I do think these discussions are important.
It is thru discussions like these that people with peanut allergies find out what actually happens, that a peanut free flight may not be totally free if peanuts, that they may find spilled peanuts on the floor of the plane and that people who have peanuts on the flight may have reasons why they have them.

People who don't know anything about peanut allergies will find out some things they didn't know.

I do not have any personal experience with peanut allergy - I have experience as a school nurse dealing with children with peanut allergies. My son in law has anaphylactic allergy to almonds - not as difficult to deal with as peanuts because almonds are not as pervasively common as peanuts are (but still a serious allergy if he eats any almonds or gets any near his mouth - who would expect hand cream to be made with almond. )

I am interested in keeping polite discussion going.

What would you say though? "Don't eat that!"? Do you have food that you can offer them instead? Are you going to pay for them to buy a snack (assuming that the flight even has something for sale)? I have my own allergies and can rarely eat food offered on flights, so even that wouldn't help me.

I know that you think you are being considerate by not having them make an announcement, but letting people know if the issue when they are still in the airport is actually the only way that some people (like me) even have a chance of finding other food. Although that still brings into the issue - are you going to pay for the food that they now have to purchase? Many/most people who bring food do so to save money by avoiding buying food in the airport or on the airplane.

Now, I avoid bringing peanut butter (or other nut products with me). However, not everyone thinks of it (before someone mentioned it to me, peanuts were my snack of choice for plane trips).

I'm not trying to attack you (really!), I'm just pointing out complications that you may not have thought of.

I always have food with me. I could offer something else to them. If they are selling snacks on board, yes I would offer to buy them something else.

Sue thank you for what you said is your post as someone with scent allergery, a lot of parents of peanut allergery child want the bestfor their child but at same time have to also think of others. i remember one mother thanking me for letting her know about unscented wipes, she never thought about as a problem for someone else. i have a grandson with peanut allergery, and from what we learned with him, it takes soap and water not wipes to make safe for him. wipes just seem to move it around not clean it. just something else to think about.

I don't think it takes the whole 'well, you'll have to procure me other food' thing, though if you're sitting next to someone with a really serious peanut allergy and giving them the choice of you eating something that may give them a reaction or giving you $ for a replacement sandwich or whatever, I'd wager most people will happily toss their wallets at you.

You could, however, just move someplace else to eat a nut-based thing, if the flight wasn't full, or if it was, ask the flight attendant if they could find someone who'd be willing to swap seats for a small period of time or for the rest of the flight. Likely someone on the plane will be understanding and swap.

i have a grandson with peanut allergery, and from what we learned with him, it takes soap and water not wipes to make safe for him. wipes just seem to move it around not clean it.

I went to a conference a few years ago where a Mt Sinai Hospital Pediatric Allergist Dr. Scott Sicherer spoke about this issue. He said their studies showed that for removing allergens washing with soap and water is best, wipes are second best because they remove at least some of the allergen, and alcohol gel is fairly useless.

Can you imagine the flight attendant's face when I show up with a bucket and scrub brush to prep a seat? ;)

We're lucky DS hasn't reacted to immeasurably small exposures. My heart goes out to those who do.

At the same conference a college-aged young woman spoke about her experiences traveling overseas with severe food allergies. She packed several epis and never ate anything on any flight, not even food she packed. She felt the risk wasn't worth it.

She also said something uplifting to parents of those with allergic little kids: that allergic kids have no trouble saying no to drugs, because they have had to say no to pressure from peers and well-meaning-but-under-informed adults their whole lives. :cheer2:

I went to a conference a few years ago where a Mt Sinai Hospital Pediatric Allergist Dr. Scott Sicherer spoke about this issue. He said their studies showed that for removing allergens washing with soap and water is best, wipes are second best because they remove at least some of the allergen, and alcohol gel is fairly useless.

Can you imagine the flight attendant's face when I show up with a bucket and scrub brush to prep a seat? ;)

We're lucky DS hasn't reacted to immeasurably small exposures. My heart goes out to those who do.

At the same conference a college-aged young woman spoke about her experiences traveling overseas with severe food allergies. She packed several epis and never ate anything on any flight, not even food she packed. She felt the risk wasn't worth it.

She also said something uplifting to parents of those with allergic little kids: that allergic kids have no trouble saying no to drugs, because they have had to say no to pressure from peers and well-meaning-but-under-informed adults their whole lives. :cheer2:

I'm sorry, but I think this is a bit on the silly side. No one suggested anyone show up with with a "bucket and scrub brush". But what would be so hard about bringing a pre moisted(unscented soaped) wash cloth to wipe the area?. You are still keeping your child safe and you are not causing an issue for anyone else.

:

We've had to research this issue in the last couple of months. Wipes work quite well.

http://www.foodallergy.org/page/cleaning-methods

What does not work well for cleaning is a dry paper towel. Hand sanitizing gel also does not remove allergens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter