• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flight tickets- I made a big mistake

officerjudyhopps

Mouseketeer
long story short- I changed the flight and didn’t reLize we were going to get hit will $400 in change fees. $600 later, we have new flights from SNA to PHL (originally LAX to PHL).

So my question for y’all is this: we paid about $1000 for two back or the plane tickets and First class is only $400 more dollars. Should I pay and bump up?

(We don’t have much money so the fact that I just wasted $600 is killing me. But at the same time, first class would be nice for a cross country trip. We’ve never sat first class and we’ve never flew home from California).

Thoughts? What would you do?

If the change fees were not clearly explained to you I would call back and ask that the change fees be refunded or at least applied toward that first class upgrade.

If they refuse and you really were caught off guard I would dispute the change fee with my CC company.

As for the upgrade, it may or may not be for you, I tend to fly first but really only on points, I've paid cash to upgrade at check in but my price tends to be a bit lower than $200 pp for a cross country trip

Last edited:
If the change fees were not clearly explained to you I would call back and ask that the change fees be refunded or at least applied toward that first class upgrade.

If they refuse and you really were caught off guard I would upgrade to first and dispute the change fee with my CC company.

Well the website said I would get a refund so assuming I’d get a refund and apply the old money to the new tickets. Like I’d only pay a difference of $200ish. They’re not giving me a refund after speaking to many levels of management. I have a complaint via standard mail to their customer relations. Hopefully a letter in the mail will get me more than email.

long story short- I changed the flight and didn’t reLize we were going to get hit will $400 in change fees. $600 later, we have new flights from SNA to PHL (originally LAX to PHL).

So my question for y’all is this: we paid about $1000 for two back or the plane tickets and First class is only $400 more dollars. Should I pay and bump up?

(We don’t have much money so the fact that I just wasted $600 is killing me. But at the same time, first class would be nice for a cross country trip. We’ve never sat first class and we’ve never flew home from California).

So the new flights were $200 more than the old ($400 in change fees + $200 = $600)?

Change fees have been around a LONG time for airlines (except for Southwest and Alaska). I'm sure it's somewhere listed in the T&C of your tickets, so I don't think pleading ignorance will work.

As far as FC... does the airline offer an "Enhanced Economy" or something similar? That gets you added leg room, early boarding, and possibly free alcohol.
Also, how long is the flight?
Is it connecting or direct?

I'm guessing that's a 3-4 hour flight. If money is tight, I would not go all the way to FC. I might spring for the enchanced economy though. However, if it's two two hour flights, I wouldn't. I'm cheap that way. lol

Last edited:

If you don't have much money, why would you consider paying out more money just to fly first class?

Wasting $600 is killing you so why would you even want to spend more for the plane trip? Just wondering?

Regardless if change fees have been around for a long time, they should warn you of the exact charge to change and make you confirm before the change takes place. Not everyone is a seasoned traveller. If they did not explain it to you prior to the change, I would dispute it.

I would have just flown out of LAX. I like John Wayne Airport and everything, but I wouldn't have considered it worth $400-600.
I know, right? That change would be worth exactly $0.00 to me. Getting back and forth to Anaheim from LAX takes about an hour and about $30 on a shuttle - I agree with the OP that the situation is a big mistake.

Ugh. I tend to spring for first class because I like it. However, if money is tight, I don't see how it would be "worth it." You get a bigger seat, a meal (depends on airline and time of day though), free booze. But, it's NOT a $200 meal and you'd be hard pressed to drink THAT much booze. LOL. If money is not a worry, then sure, it's enjoyable and more relaxing. Otherwise not.

Most airlines have change fees, or you pay the difference in the price of the flights, and you've learned an expensive lesson. That being said, after taking an additional $600 financial hit, I would never consider adding another $400 to fly first class.

We usually fly United because our airport is a big hub. Up until recently, I didn’t realize there were airlines that didn’t charge these fees. I always book online and it’s clearly stated.

I thought it was a law or regulation that you have 24 hours to cancel a flight without penalty. Have you looked into that?

Regardless if change fees have been around for a long time, they should warn you of the exact charge to change and make you confirm before the change takes place. Not everyone is a seasoned traveller. If they did not explain it to you prior to the change, I would dispute it.
As I mentioned, I can all but guarantee it's in the T&C for a ticket. Just because someone doesn't read the fine print doesn't mean they're not obligated to do what's in there.

I thought it was a law or regulation that you have 24 hours to cancel a flight without penalty. Have you looked into that?
How would that help? They'd still be out the $400 change fee AND not have a flight. Now, maybe you can find a cheaper flight, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

We always fly economy from Philadelphia to Orlando and first class from Philadelphia to Los Angeles. For a long trip it makes all the difference in the world!

As I mentioned, I can all but guarantee it's in the T&C for a ticket. Just because someone doesn't read the fine print doesn't mean they're not obligated to do what's in there.

How would that help? They'd still be out the $400 change fee AND not have a flight. Now, maybe you can find a cheaper flight, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Because he would have his original flight back? (Not sure the reg applies to changes or not though?). Or he could get a new cheaper flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter