Flight tickets- I made a big mistake

Because he would have his original flight back? (Not sure the reg applies to changes or not though?). Or he could get a new cheaper flight.
I don't know that he would OR that he'd be guaranteed to find a cheaper flight.

I thought it was a law or regulation that you have 24 hours to cancel a flight without penalty. Have you looked into that?

That would only be on their original ticket (Orange County-Philly), not on the rebooked one.

Because he would have his original flight back? (Not sure the reg applies to changes or not though?). Or he could get a new cheaper flight.
It doesn't work that way. Once you give up that original flight, it gone. The airline would now be selling those seats at the current price.

The thing I'm not getting is once they were told there would be a change fee and price increase, why didn't they say they'd stay with the original ticket?

Personally, I would upgrade. It's a kinda "once in a lifetime" thing (if you travel on the cheap normally), on a cross-country flight. If you can afford it as a one time thing, totally do it.

We've had the fortune of getting fairly decent deals on first class a couple times. It was worth the meal and the t.v. + 2 free checked bags each. Would we do it again? Probably not, just because the thrill has worn off and we try to budget for other things (like taking more frequent vacations). But then again, we haven't done flights longer than 3 or so hours.

BTW...we were shocked at how simple LAX was. Everyone makes it out to be some huge hassle and that they absolutely hate it and they would never travel through it again. Security was a breeze, getting from/to the terminals was easy. We thought we were getting away with something with house simple it was. Granted, we didn't have checked luggage that trip so it may have been different.

Personally, I would upgrade. It's a kinda "once in a lifetime" thing (if you travel on the cheap normally), on a cross-country flight. If you can afford it as a one time thing, totally do it.

We've had the fortune of getting fairly decent deals on first class a couple times. It was worth the meal and the t.v. + 2 free checked bags each. Would we do it again? Probably not, just because the thrill has worn off and we try to budget for other things (like taking more frequent vacations). But then again, we haven't done flights longer than 3 or so hours.

BTW...we were shocked at how simple LAX was. Everyone makes it out to be some huge hassle and that they absolutely hate it and they would never travel through it again. Security was a breeze, getting from/to the terminals was easy. We thought we were getting away with something with house simple it was. Granted, we didn't have checked luggage that trip so it may have been different.
I've arrived at several different terminals and each of them had the baggage claim on the ground floor right next to the doors exiting out to the street/transportation islands. Easy as can be. And quicker baggage service than many smaller airports we've flown into but I suppose that could vary. The OP didn't really say why she wanted to change the flights from LAX to SNA but I hope it wasn't because some erroneous information had her feeling intimidated.

I've arrived at several different terminals and each of them had the baggage claim on the ground floor right next to the doors exiting out to the street/transportation islands. Easy as can be. And quicker baggage service than many smaller airports we've flown into but I suppose that could vary. The OP didn't really say why she wanted to change the flights from LAX to SNA but I hope it wasn't because some erroneous information had her feeling intimidated.

The biggest problem with LAX is dealing with connections between terminals. I heard they're looking to install a people mover system. I've used the one at SFO, and that's not that bad. Seattle has a pretty good one that has to be used if it's at one of the "island" terminals. Why LAX took so long I don't get.

The thing I'm not getting is once they were told there would be a change fee and price increase, why didn't they say they'd stay with the original ticket?
This is what I was getting at. I don't know if they made the change online or with a phone rep, but either way, they should not have just charged their card $400. Normally the change is not official until that charge has been paid, so there should have been some kind of warning. Whether they have rules or not, they should never just charge someone's card $400 without first warning them whether verbally or by a do you accept these terms type of link online. So at that point I would have hit or said no and voila you are back to your original reservation. But I guess the OP accepted the terms.

This is what I was getting at. I don't know if they made the change online or with a phone rep, but either way, they should not have just charged their card $400. Normally the change is not official until that charge has been paid, so there should have been some kind of warning. Whether they have rules or not, they should never just charge someone's card $400 without first warning them whether verbally or by a do you accept these terms type of link online. So at that point I would have hit or said no and voila you are back to your original reservation. But I guess the OP accepted the terms.
Is there an actual additional charge just for the change fee though? Let's say the original flights were $300pp (not unreasonable). The new flights were $400pp. When you go to accept the new flights, you're charged $300pp ($300 - $200 change fee = $100 refund. $400 - $100 = $300).

Multiply that by two people and they paid $800 for the original flights, had $400 in change fees, and paid $600 for the difference between the original and new flights.

So what the OP probably saw as an extra $100pp expense (difference in price between old & new tickets) actually cost them $300pp.

It's very possible (I've never done a flight change like this), they were just billed the $600 and some itemized list showed them where the money was going. OP just didn't look at it.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with LAX is dealing with connections between terminals. I heard they're looking to install a people mover system. I've used the one at SFO, and that's not that bad. Seattle has a pretty good one that has to be used if it's at one of the "island" terminals. Why LAX took so long I don't get.
Granted, I've never connected through LAX - always straight in and straight out, so changing terminals is not something I've experienced. :confused3 That could be stressful I guess (I've done it at many other airports) but the OP wasn't going to be connecting either. I really don't understand what motivated making the change in the first place. I'm sorry for their situation, which IMO is now irredeemable as the change fees are legit, but her stating she doesn't have much money makes it seem like utter nonsense to now spend more upgrading to first-class.

SNA to PHL is a 4ish hour flight I do believe. That means you're essentially paying $100 an hour to sit in first class. It would not be worth it to me on a shorter flight like that.

SNA to PHL is a 4ish hour flight I do believe. That means you're essentially paying $100 an hour to sit in first class. It would not be worth it to me on a shorter flight like that.
Actually $50/hour. $400 for two people would be $200 each. $200 for a 4 hour flight would be $50/hour/person.

I agree, not worth it to me. Upgrading to "Enhanced Economy" might be though. I think the most I've paid was $100 for a four hour flight.

Actually $50/hour. $400 for two people would be $200 each. $200 for a 4 hour flight would be $50/hour/person.

I agree, not worth it to me. Upgrading to "Enhanced Economy" might be though. I think the most I've paid was $100 for a four hour flight.

Yep... $100/hour for two people or $50/hour per person... same difference lol

I agree that enhanced economy/economy plus might be a good option, but also agree with PPs that since OP has already spent above their budget on these flights due to the error, it makes more sense to stick with the peasants in coach! LOL!

Update: I called (for fun) to make the change and the agent said “well after looking at the current prices, first class will be an additional $487 per person to make the change.” She further explained that it’s $287 ticket difference plus $200 change fees- which is funny because the first agent said bumping up to first class means no change fees. So try to understand that one.

My complaint is on its way to American Airlines so I’ll hear back soon. Hopefully. Maybe a physical letter on someone’s desk will get me some answers.

Someone asked why we changed. Long story short, we changed our flight to better fit in with our ride pick up.

For a domestic flight, I probably wouldn’t upgrade. We travel to the States from the U.K. and so for the right price would seriously consider upgrading to business/ first class, just for the fact that the seats fold down into beds, which is invaluable on an overnight flight. For a flight lasting only a few hours, I don’t really think I’d bother, unless I had a lot of money to spare.

If I was kicking myself for spending more money than I wanted the last thing I would do is go speading more money for something that is not a necessity. Sorry OP on this I'd say chalk it up to a life lesson on change fees OR risk going into debt or sacrificing something else to make up the difference should you opt to upgrade. It's not a risk I would be willing to personally take but that's just my opinion.

Update: I called (for fun) to make the change and the agent said “well after looking at the current prices, first class will be an additional $487 per person to make the change.” She further explained that it’s $287 ticket difference plus $200 change fees- which is funny because the first agent said bumping up to first class means no change fees. So try to understand that one.

My complaint is on its way to American Airlines so I’ll hear back soon. Hopefully. Maybe a physical letter on someone’s desk will get me some answers.

Someone asked why we changed. Long story short, we changed our flight to better fit in with our ride pick up.
So did you end up booking the first class seats?

I tried to change, it said $400 to change & $175 credit. Awesome. Yet the website went bonkers and wouldn't let me complete the transaction. So I thought. It directed me to call airlines. Well I called them and it was $1,600 total in change fees that was charged on my credit card and only $44 credit. I changed everything back to the original booking, no fees. We're now driving 4 hours to the airport.

Last edited:
American Airlines? That money is gone. I absolutely refuse to fly them, I've had them lie to me without skipping a beat on the phone and in person multiple times, they nearly left stranded in Spain in December, if you're not traveling on business on a ticket booked through a corporate contract they do not care about you in any way. So yes, I completely believe they didn't tell OP about the fees, and I completely believe they refuse to compensate for it, and the fact is, unless you're willing to get a lawyer, you'll never get the money back, even though you should be entitled to it by them not mentioning it. Frankly, they don't care if you refund through your credit card, you won't fly, tough on you. I have a friend who uses them for work travel, and then personal travel with all the miles he earns for work, and there is a marked difference in his experience depending on if he booked on the work account or not. It's disgusting.

Matt

No airline flies nonstop from Orange County to Philadelphia. If the OP is using American, he/she will be changing planes in Chicago, Dallas/Ft.Worth, or Phoenix. To me, still not worth the cost of the upgrade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter