Fish Extender Gift Feedback

lovewdwfun

Mouseketeer
I am not crafty and we'll be doing FE exchanges on our upcoming cruises.

One idea I had is to buy pillowcases in bulk and give everyone a pillowcase with a Sharpie for autographs. Is this a good idea? I don't see it listed on many of the suggestions, so I am wondering if it would not be something people would like. I was thinking about doing this for a Western Caribbean cruise.

We are also doing an Alaska cruise. I stumbled upon an adorable idea for giving people hot chocolate mix-in kits - plastic bags of mini marshmallows, peanut butter chips, etc. The only issue is I would have to put them in plastic bags myself. I love this idea, but I'm inclined to not do it because I think a lot of people would not accept food that was opened from a stranger. Thoughts?

Alternately, I could get Dollar Tree Disney items. I really have no idea how much people spend per person/cabin and I don't want to be cheap.

I think those are great ideas. The autograph ✍ thing I know my girls would enjoy just add a lil note to it so they know what it for. Also the hot cocoa for Alaska cruise is perfect. Normally ppl spend a few dollars I think max wa $5 ( from what I’ve heard.) but solely up to the giving person after all it’s the thought that counts.

Another, maybe overly ambitious, idea would be a Disney Cruise apples to apples game. Before my kids could read, I printed out Apples to Apples type cards on card stock with pictures so they could play. I could do this with pictures and Disney Cruise theme. Would anyone play this or is it a waste? The ink might be really expensive, but it could be fun.
Are you thinking Apples to Apples or more of a concentration type game? Apples to Apples involves a lot more than just picture cards. It's a creative idea, but I'm not sure what you're thinking. For us it's not the best game for a couple, 3, 4 people. We got a "yacht-sea" game someone put together once. It was great!
I personally would not use the pillowcase idea, but I guess many people would.

I should think anything that is not candy would be appreciated. I think the pilliwcase is good.

Are you thinking Apples to Apples or more of a concentration type game? Apples to Apples involves a lot more than just picture cards. It's a creative idea, but I'm not sure what you're thinking. For us it's not the best game for a couple, 3, 4 people. We got a "yacht-sea" game someone put together once. It was great!
I personally would not use the pillowcase idea, but I guess many people would.

That’s a good point that a lot of families have 2 people!

I agree that most people would not eat opened food for hot chocolate mix-ins. I would think cabins with only adults wouldn't want to stand in line for autographs. The game sounds interesting, but I'm not familiar with Apples to Apples so don't know how difficult it would be to do.

Another, maybe overly ambitious, idea would be a Disney Cruise apples to apples game. Before my kids could read, I printed out Apples to Apples type cards on card stock with pictures so they could play. I could do this with pictures and Disney Cruise theme. Would anyone play this or is it a waste? The ink might be really expensive, but it could be fun.
That's very creative and would be a lovely gift. That could be very nice for a rainy afternoon or for the flight/drive back home.

There is no one gift that is going to be just right for everyone on your list. Know that going in, and just give something nice that you would think was a nice gift (whether or not it happened to be perfect for you) if you found it in your fish extender. Use the golden rule.

Some people love getting food/sweets in their FEs. Personally, I dislike it as I'm already stuffed from all of the food on the cruise, I'm always trying to cut down on sweets, and my son can't eat gluten, which makes many of those gifts instant "you can see it but not touch it" type items for both of us. But I still appreciate the thought.

Give from your heart and that's all that's required.

Out of everything you mentioned, I would vote for the pillowcases. However, my teens may get them signed but that is not something my husband or I would do.

We would not eat opened food.

If you Google FE gifts there are tons and tons of ideas out there!! Some inexpensive gifts that I would enjoy receiving are book marks, luggage tags, and magnets.

Good luck!

I’m a cruising virgin but the pillowcase idea sounds awesome! I want to participate now! You could check if similar pricing but there are fabric pens too. I looked into it a while ago and I thought they were similar in price to sharpies.

I enjoyed a little first aid kit with wipes, safety pins, bandages, some people put in a serving size pre-pack of ibuprofen or Tylenol. Some people worry about the basic packs but with our group we had several people mentioned the took them on an excursion and needed them for one reason or another. So our group had over 80 people, it was nice!
That is for anyone looking for ideas. We’ve been given pillow cases before they are wonderful. They had a blank end for names and cartoon area.

Last edited:
The pillowcases sounds awesome.

Hot chocolate - I'm a germaphobe. Our local grocer has small bags of marshmallows for about $1 each. I think they are Camp Fire brand. Hershey kisses and peppermint are great add-ins for cocoa.

I don't know the rules but I don't think you can take snacks or food stored in a sandwich bag on the ship. I thought all food brought on had to be in original packaging? I'd also be uncomfortable letting my kids eat something from a sandwich bag. Good luck, this is the first time we are participating in an exchange and I was concerned about gifts as well. I ended up getting a few small things that could be used while on the ship and, since our cruise is SWDAS, I found a case of Star Wars character PEZ dispensers that I'm going to let my kids deliver.

I don't know the rules but I don't think you can take snacks or food stored in a sandwich bag on the ship. I thought all food brought on had to be in original packaging? I'd also be uncomfortable letting my kids eat something from a sandwich bag. Good luck, this is the first time we are participating in an exchange and I was concerned about gifts as well. I ended up getting a few small things that could be used while on the ship and, since our cruise is SWDAS, I found a case of Star Wars character PEZ dispensers that I'm going to let my kids deliver.
Where can you buy Pez by the case? Costco?

I am not crafty and we'll be doing FE exchanges on our upcoming cruises.

One idea I had is to buy pillowcases in bulk and give everyone a pillowcase with a Sharpie for autographs. Is this a good idea? I don't see it listed on many of the suggestions, so I am wondering if it would not be something people would like. I was thinking about doing this for a Western Caribbean cruise.

We are also doing an Alaska cruise. I stumbled upon an adorable idea for giving people hot chocolate mix-in kits - plastic bags of mini marshmallows, peanut butter chips, etc. The only issue is I would have to put them in plastic bags myself. I love this idea, but I'm inclined to not do it because I think a lot of people would not accept food that was opened from a stranger. Thoughts?

Alternately, I could get Dollar Tree Disney items. I really have no idea how much people spend per person/cabin and I don't want to be cheap.

I like the pillowcase and sharpie idea.... that is something I would like to get in my fish extender. :)

For kids dollar tree has glow in the dark wands, butterflies, flowers and swords. Particularly the swords for pirate night. They have Disney compressed wash clothes, bags that look like strawberries until opened up. Small dry write boards with magnet on back.

We have received many creative things.. sticky notes, magnets, ornaments, stickers, scrapbook pages, local snacks or candy from your hometown/state, pens, CD with Caribbean or Disney music..all of these things personalized in some way. Wonderful memories

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter