First week of Paradise Pier and Main Street Closures

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by SOCALMouseMommy, Jan 10, 2018.

1. SOCALMouseMommy

SOCALMouseMommy DIS Veteran

IMG_7387.JPG I went with my almost-3-year-old son today for the first time since we were blacked out for the holidays. This is the first week of all the closures and working being done in both parks. I shared some photos in another thread but here are some more:

Main Street (hub compelely blocked off)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    poptart90, Linkura, Gisele and 3 others like this.
  2. SOCALMouseMommy

IMG_7400.JPG Paradise Pier

Note that you can no longer walked all the way through this area (say from California Screamin to Goofy's Sky School). If you want to access the carousel and TSMM, you go left over the bridge (past the Cove Bar, which is closed). If you want Silly Symphony Swings, Jumping Jellyfish and GSS, as well as Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta, you stay to the right, past Little Mermaid. The line for TSMM comes out along a wall past the carousel and back up the bridge.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. SOCALMouseMommy

IMG_7399.JPG This shows the line and the wall.

kyrkea333 likes this.
  5. SOCALMouseMommy

IMG_7398.JPG Sorry the photo is not great, the lighting was bright.

kyrkea333 likes this.
  6. sherilaine

sherilaine DIS Veteran

The Paradise Pier looks like it's way less of an eyesore than main street so far at least...thanks for the pictures - I hope people keep adding as things change over the next few months.

Gisele likes this.
  7. SOCALMouseMommy

I don't mean to sound negative but it looks worse in real life. Once you walk past the empty Cove Bar and pass the boarded up ice cream stand, it's just walls and a non-functional CS. The only thing over there is TSMM, one store (Toy story), the carousel and the bathroom. No food, no snacks, no drink stands, nothing. There isn't really much space over there, especially with the TSMM line snaking past the carousel and up the bridge. It's pretty desolate. I didn't make it over to the Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta side so I can't speak to how that is.

8. smartlabelprint

smartlabelprint DIS Veteran

Thanks for updating us!

Gisele likes this.
  9. az4boys

az4boys DIS Veteran

Has there been any indication on how long the main street construction will take? It does look like they are doing it in phases with the hub first. It definitely obstructs the view of the castle.

Gisele likes this.
  10. 22Tink

22Tink DIS Veteran

Thanks for the pictures!

Gisele likes this.
  11. Winnowill

Winnowill DIS Veteran

Wow. Thanks for the pix. I am SO GLAD we decided to postpone our March trip till late June!

Gisele likes this.
  12. sherilaine

sherilaine DIS Veteran

Our very first trip was when they were renovating DCA and building Carsland. We had no idea how silly it was all boarded up as it was and still had a fabulous time. I agree it likely looks awful but at least Toy Story didn't have to shut down and at least all the other rides around are open. I never bought anything there anyway but it was fun to walk through. This will be our 5th trip in 6 years - and coming from Canada that's pretty good I'd say - and we've never seen the Pier or Mainstreet in such shape - so I guess you can't win them all. I'd hate to be there over Spring Break though as it will still be packed with much less space for people to travel.

TheZue likes this.
  13. Disney Dudette

Disney Dudette Mouseketeer

How long is the main st construction supposed to be taking place? That looks awful. Edited to say sorry, I just realized a previous poster already asked! :)

14. starshine514

starshine514 DIS Veteran

Ugh! Reminds me of all that construction back in 2011.

15. cruisehopeful

cruisehopeful Wishing I was taking a nap on a ship.

The pictures give me claustrophobia.

GatorChris and Gisele like this.
  16. gsrieff

gsrieff Mouseketeer

26755100_1755354091176106_972995045_n.jpg

I was able to grab a picture of some imagineers discussing the CS tracks before the walls went up on this side! The other side, where the ride loads, was already walled. I could have sat and watched them for awhile, but my group had no interest lol

17. 22Tink

22Tink DIS Veteran

Me too, it definitely looks less than magical. I'm glad we aren't going till later this year.

Gisele likes this.
  18. pblack

pblack Mouseketeer

Thanks for the pics! Now I know what to be prepared for when we go next weekend.

Gisele likes this.
  19. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

I imagine it will be done by the time all the new Pixar fireworks stuff begins in April. They said "late winter" which implies March at some point.

Disney Dudette likes this.
  20. monorailrabbit

monorailrabbit Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

So, dumb question, can you still get in front of the castle/partners for photos? or is this what we have to look at to see the castle? i had no idea this eye sore was going to be there. we arrive Monday.

Gisele likes this.
  21. Federalist45

Federalist45 Earning My Ears

You can still stand in front of the Castle. They've turned the hub into a roundabout.

Gisele and monorailrabbit like this.