First week of May is so slow

We've been in the parks since Sun and I would say it's busier than last year at this time. AK was mobbed yesterday AM with EE at 45 mins by 10:30. Admittedly it was an EMH morning but still. There were some brief afternoon storms and the place totally cleared out after that.

We wil be there Thursday. Hoping for low crowds, but if resort availability is any indication (values all booked up), it probably won't happen. Maybe after the Wishes finale and Mother's Day weekend it will die down until Memorial Day weekend...

Cheer/Dance competitions will be going on for 3 weekends in a row starting with this past weekend. I know that at least one of those weekends they did a complete buyout of the All Stars. They will also have a good % of the rooms at CSR-LOTS of athletes are coming in.

Add in the last Wishes and Pandora previews and I think it could possibly set up a "perfect storm" situation where it's packed. I'm hopeful I'm way wrong, but preparing for it just in case.

Our very first trip to WDW was this week (love seeing all the FB memories popping up!) and it was fantastic.

Cheer/Dance competitions will be going on for 3 weekends in a row starting with this past weekend. I know that at least one of those weekends they did a complete buyout of the All Stars. They will also have a good % of the rooms at CSR-LOTS of athletes are coming in.

Add in the last Wishes and Pandora previews and I think it could possibly set up a "perfect storm" situation where it's packed. I'm hopeful I'm way wrong, but preparing for it just in case.

Yes- I know a bunch of people that headed down today for the Summit cheer competition this weekend.

I saw pictures on FB this morning and MK was pretty empty. Just now I looked at wait times and many are under 20 mins. I wish I could go this week!

Well, we have been here since 4/25, and I wouldn't exactly call the first week of May 'slow'. Don't know where you saw the picture from, but at some given times you can see some vacant stretches. Also, very few rides or wait times are at 20 min. for long. 'Early' mornings partially, but the MK has been very busy.

True, compared with summer, there are less people here, but was very surprised at how many people have been here for Wishes - granted, it will soon be gone! My favorite fireworks at MK 'ever'!

Plenty hot here though!! Sounds like what little slower time it has been is changing with this week end on.

Last edited:
I saw a video this morning of someone on the people mover and as it went over Tomorrowland, there were like only 10 people strolling around. I have not ever seen it this empty.

May have caught it right after a hard shower (otherwise very dry here). I was there and it was 'not' that light, must have caught it after people sought shelter! It's not heavy crowds here - except at MK - but not super light either. The lightning and thunder kept people inside for a little while. The People Mover's entry 'rolling' walkway was not working, so kept some people from wanting to 'walk' up!!

I feel like you can't judge anything by Value resorts being all booked up. I feel like that happens more often than not. Like, back in January, when I was trying to book a 10 day vacation for a room at the All Stars Music, much of late April or early May was completely booked and I kept trying different variations and there was nothing. But I had my heart set on All Stars Music after having a really wonderful split stay for a day there last year and preferring it to Pop Century. Other All Stars and Pop were available but I really wanted Music.

Anyway, I had to book a little later than I wanted but I luckily was finally able to book mid to late May (16-25) for my trip. I just knew I wanted to avoid going to Disney after Memorial Day, so luckily I got in under the wire for my trip and got it at the All Stars.

The Cheer crowds arrived at POR today. It feels really different already, so we will see what happens at the buses, mealtimes, etc.

TP predicted a 3 for MK today. So. Not. A. Three. I would say it was very similar to our non-Easter week spring break trip from a couple years ago. Not insane but definitely well attended. The word is out on May, people. :rolleyes1

TP predicted a 3 for MK today. So. Not. A. Three. I would say it was very similar to our non-Easter week spring break trip from a couple years ago. Not insane but definitely well attended. The word is out on May, people. :rolleyes1

MK was definitely not a 3 today, and it wasn't a 4 on Tuesday either. Plenty of crowds here this week unless your in the parks within the first or last hour of the day.

The Cheer crowds arrived at POR today. It feels really different already, so we will see what happens at the buses, mealtimes, etc.

They've been in the parks all week. We saw a couple of groups doing lifts at Epcot on Tues. My kids thought it was awesome. The mom in me could only think 'not over the concrete!'

I'll be there May 13-120 and I really hope it's still kind of slow. we usually go the following week (the week before memorial Day) and it's not too bad, but no slow.

Cheer competitions at ESPN started the last week in April with Cheerleading Worlds and is followed by the first two weekends in May with a competition called the Summit. Lots of cheerleaders will be around and most teams only had the option if booking in a Value! Competitions are on weekends so mid-week may be lighter as packages were for four nights mostly Thurs-Monday...we are arriving for a very unplanned trip because of cheer on May 11th! We are excited and a bit overwhelmed. I'm a Disney planner and I can't plan much with this one because of Cheer.

Having been in Disney during these events in the past I can say I know the groups of kids with bows can be a lot at times. But as the mom of one now I can only hope people embrace the magic. The 1,881 teams that are at the competitions in May earned their invitation beating out 12,000 other teams. A little bit of magic and a lot of hard work gets a team there! I'm in no way excusing or defending poorly behaved children if anyone has expierenced that. I am just saying if you see them please know that they have worked incredibly hard to be there!

And Princesswithablaster...I agree 100%. We do not let our girls stunt on concrete. That's an invitation for ruining a magical expierence!

Cheer competitions at ESPN started the last week in April with Cheerleading Worlds and is followed by the first two weekends in May with a competition called the Summit. Lots of cheerleaders will be around and most teams only had the option if booking in a Value! Competitions are on weekends so mid-week may be lighter as packages were for four nights mostly Thurs-Monday...we are arriving for a very unplanned trip because of cheer on May 11th! We are excited and a bit overwhelmed. I'm a Disney planner and I can't plan much with this one because of Cheer.
!

Thea101, which of the Cheerleading Competitions is the most crowded? The one last week of April (Worlds?), 1st weekend of May (Summit) or 2nd weekend of May (D2)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter