First trip to DL and I'm totally lost on hotels

Stayed at BWPPI years ago and it was a nice stay, it's been remodeled since then, but it certainly is about the closest you can get and I think meets your other criteria (I didn't check prices, but it is usually in the $200/night range I believe). I just don't care for their pool area, it's clean, it's just not enhanced in any way, its a pool surrounded by concrete, I don't know if that is important to you or not.

Also stayed at Stovall's twice and really enjoyed it, beautiful pool area and the included breakfast is one of the better ones in my opinion, I have nothing but good things to say about them, but as other posters said it is a longer walk (it's about 15 minutes), although a pleasant one, and while you can't walk through the GCH anymore (at least at park opening) as also shared you can still return from DD or the Parks that way...it's especially convenient if leaving CA and use the entrance/exit into the GCH located next to GRR. The other thing this end of Katella offers is you can use the monorail to enter the park. Once you're past the monorail turnstile you're in the park and you'll be let out in Tomorrowland. I don't believe the monorail opens before the park does though, so keep that in mind if you are trying to rope drop or have Magic Morning. The really nice thing we found about this option is that the line to enter DD was never more than a minute or two and we never encountered a line to enter the monorail, this was pre-Star Wars though, but I think I've read it is still less congested down at this spot than Harbor which often has a wait to get through security and then again to enter the parks.

We've also stayed at CCI and likewise I can't say enough good things about it, this is one of the favorite hotels of Disney guests everywhere, very highly rated on hotel rating sites. The walk is shorter than Stovall's and there is a free dedicated shuttle which we didn't use most of the time, but it is nice to have as an option especially at the end of a long tiring day. Good luck! I don't think you can go wrong with any of these three.

Last edited:
I just stayed at the Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn and it was great. I highly recommend it. It's an older hotel, but nicely renovated, clean, and has an AMAZING breakfast included.

I'll be returning, that's for sure. It's between Denny's and Tony Roma's on Harbor; a 5 minute walk to the esplanade.

Me and my best friend are planning a trip Aug 20-24. Doing 3 days of parks with hopper and maxpass. However I can't for the life of me figure out which hotel to stay at. We want to go as cheap as possible without staying in a run down, disgusting hotel. We don't need anything fancy, just something clean, and secure. Can anyone point me in the right direction? We'd like to stay under $200/ night if possible, however if we can't get somewhere clean and secure for that, we'll be willing to pay more. Thanks in advance!

-Tera
Candy Cane Inn is under $200 for your dates. It's 2 long blocks from the entry to Disneyland. It's my new favorite hotel when going to disney.

Thanks everyone! This was extremely helpful! These are the 3 we are considering. Stovall's, Desert Inn, and Candy Cane Inn. Although Desert Inn seems the most dated, it seems like it would be the fastest to walk? It looks like it is on the other side of S. Harbor Drive. Is there a somewhere to cross close by to get to the main entrance or am I looking at the map totally wrong?

All three of those properties fall under the category of "run down." For a similar price, there's oodles of nicer properties nearby. Of course, if being within a short walking distance is important to you, than those properties would be among the better budget choices. Sometimes it's helpful to clarify what you're looking for in your accommodations, to get the best recommendation :).

Thanks everyone! This was extremely helpful! These are the 3 we are considering. Stovall's, Desert Inn, and Candy Cane Inn. Although Desert Inn seems the most dated, it seems like it would be the fastest to walk? It looks like it is on the other side of S. Harbor Drive. Is there a somewhere to cross close by to get to the main entrance or am I looking at the map totally wrong?

All three of those properties fall under the category of "run down." For a similar price, there's oodles of nicer properties nearby. Of course, if being within a short walking distance is important to you, than those properties would be among the better budget choices. Sometimes it's helpful to clarify what you're looking for in your accommodations, to get the best recommendation :).
I STRONGLY disagree that CCI is run down. The outside grounds, pool area and breakfast area are immaculate and well kept. The rooms are nothing special IMO. Adequate. Not run down. Not great. Adequate.

:wizard:

Last edited:
Me and my best friend are planning a trip Aug 20-24. Doing 3 days of parks with hopper and maxpass. However I can't for the life of me figure out which hotel to stay at. We want to go as cheap as possible without staying in a run down, disgusting hotel. We don't need anything fancy, just something clean, and secure. Can anyone point me in the right direction? We'd like to stay under $200/ night if possible, however if we can't get somewhere clean and secure for that, we'll be willing to pay more. Thanks in advance!

-Tera
The middle of December, I booked the Desert Inn & Suites - deluxe room for $89/night.
It's not fancy but it is close, safe and clean.

I STRONLY disagree that CCI is run down. The outside grounds, pool area and breakfast area are immaculate and well kept. The rooms are nothing special IMO. Adequate. Not run down. Not great. Adequate.

Agree ^^^^^ Candy Cane Inn is a Motel but a very nice one! The staff is also very friendly.
I'll also add that I'm more of a hotel girl but have no issues staying at Candy Cane Inn. I'm in the park not spending tons of time in my room.

Can anyone tell me the difference in room categories at CCI? Is the standard room adequate for 2 adults for 3 nights?

Can anyone tell me the difference in room categories at CCI? Is the standard room adequate for 2 adults for 3 nights?
One thing to note is the there is no elevator and I think(not 100%) the "cheaper" rooms are on the 2nd floor. So if you want to be on the 1st floor I would call them. Also if you are a pass holder, in the military or have AAA card type in Dis in the promo code for a little bit of a discount.

I STRONLY disagree that CCI is run down. The outside grounds, pool area and breakfast area are immaculate and well kept. The rooms are nothing special IMO. Adequate. Not run down. Not great. Adequate.

I stayed there in May 2018, and the accommodations were comparable to the Travelodge up Harbor Blvd - pretty run down IMO. My room didn't have the faux wood floors, so perhaps it wasn't renovated then.

Run down?!? I've never stayed at Desert Inn, so can't speak to that property, but the OP in my opinion clarified exactly what they were looking for and mentioned a few hotels. They did not seem to be searching for a high end/on-site Disney property or similar, but requested people's thoughts and experiences in order to make an educated choice for a decent, clean and centrally located place to stay for their trip. I don't believe anyone here has touted these properties as upscale, but to say they are "run down" is innaccurate based on personal experience and the reviews of many on this board and other travel boards. Even the Four Seasons gets a poor review here and there. We all know you can't please everyone all the time and the word "nicer" is certainly subjective. That being said are there other hotels that would serve the OP's purposes also? Most certainly! But I completely disagree that the hotels mentioned are "run down."

And to the poster that asked if a standard room at the CCI was adequate for 2 adults? I assume adequate might mean enough space? We were a family of four and it was fine for us because we're not in the room often. Was it spacious? No, but for two I think there is enough space.

Hilton has many hotels in the area for under $200 a night. They are not across the street, but when we stay offsite we stay Hilton Anaheim and just drive.

We love CCI. Definitely not "run down". The cobblestone parking lot, flowers and plants everywhere, comfortable beds, decent breakfast (but not full hot--wish they had a waffle maker, scrambled eggss and sausage but no), clean and well-maintained pool, etc, make it our go-to for trips. We'll be staying there 4 times this year. Rooms are nothing to write home about, but are clean and safe. :)

Our new favorite is Camelot Inn and Suites (renovated room)...very close, clean, and the renovated rooms are great!

I STRONGLY disagree that CCI is run down. The outside grounds, pool area and breakfast area are immaculate and well kept. The rooms are nothing special IMO. Adequate. Not run down. Not great. Adequate.

Agree that the CCI is not "run down." It is a very well maintained property. It is what I would call quaint and charming, not modern or fashionable/trendy. The owners and staff take very good care of the grounds and of their customers.

The Premium Rooms are the largest rooms, have laminate floors, a small fridge and a microwave, a DVD player (free rentals at the front desk), an amenities basket and bath robes, free breakfast delivered to the room every day, etc. We find the Premium Rooms to be more than adequate for 2 adults. If DH needs room to work, the Premium Rooms are fine.

OP: I notice you have WDW experience, in which case you might find this thread helpful: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.

Run down? I certainly wish I had the means to consider basic, perhaps dated or small, but certainly clean, close proximity motels, "run down".

There is a serious difference between a place being basic or with basic amenities, and being "run down". Are there nicer places than those three? Certainly. But that doesn't mean those three are "run down".

Candy Cane Inn is a really nice old hotel with a shuttle service, and free parking. I have stayed there twice and had no issues.

I've stayed at Quality Inn & Suites Anaheim At The Park everytime I've gone out there. It's small, looks a little run down, but the staff and location had me going back. It's an easy five to ten minute walk.

I go between the Del Sol and the Desert Inn usually. This time around we're trying the Tropicana because we got a good rate for it.

I believe you'll find a decent place to lay your head and elevate your feet (ha) at night at any of the places along S. Harbor. They're close, they're clean, they're affordable to your budget. If you don't mind taking the bus, try the Clarion at the Convention Center. It's kitty-corner to the Toy Story lot and much less expensive than those on S. Harbor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter