Loved your report!
Also a fan of the auto train. We live in Lancaster. Great way to get to FL.
OT: I’ll be in Philly in 2 weeks. Center city. Best cheesesteak?
If you have time on your side, go to Angelo’s in the Italian market. Best cheesesteaks and pizza you’ll probably ever have. And I seriously mean it when I say get both. Split them if you have people with you or just treat yourself to both. You’ll have to wait, but you won’t regret it.

If you’re stuck to center city, then try Cleavers. If you’re in old city, then try Oh Brother Philly.

100% agree. We’ll probably rent a car for the next few years because of young kids/car seats, so SSR’s location really won’t affect my family should we stay there in the near future. For other families though, it most definitely could be a negative.
Didn't you say you rented a car? If so it's free parking at all the parks if you go ,as well as ADR's.I'm glad youze had a great trip! ,,,,Welcome Home.
P.S. If you drive over to Congress Park it's a very quick walk over to DS.

If you have time on your side, go to Angelo’s in the Italian market. Best cheesesteaks and pizza you’ll probably ever have. And I seriously mean it when I say get both. Split them if you have people with you or just treat yourself to both. You’ll have to wait, but you won’t regret it.

If you’re stuck to center city, then try Cleavers. If you’re in old city, then try Oh Brother Philly.
Just remember if you go to Angelo's which I agree with OP it's a cash only pizzeria, also the chicken steak is nothing to sneeze at either.

I'm glad you didn't mention the two tourist traps! Fellow Disney dad of two little ones in south Philly and just read your original trip report. Glad you enjoyed SSR, it's one of my home resorts! We stayed in a 2BR there for our first DVC trip for our daughter's 1st birthday. Absolutely love the feel of that resort, it's like a secluded part of WDW when you need that break from the crowds. Go birds!

I'm glad you didn't mention the two tourist traps! Fellow Disney dad of two little ones in south Philly and just read your original trip report. Glad you enjoyed SSR, it's one of my home resorts! We stayed in a 2BR there for our first DVC trip for our daughter's 1st birthday. Absolutely love the feel of that resort, it's like a secluded part of WDW when you need that break from the crowds. Go birds!
Throw in Jim's on South St. and you have the holy trinity of tourist traps......

We always enjoy our stays at SSR. Artist Pallette is one of my favorite quick service places. I love that they have more "home-style" meals to choose from, rather than just burgers and chicken sandwiches. I could also eat their breakfast croissant every day! I was just there a couple of weeks ago for a non-park trip, so just looking for a relaxing resort. SSR delivers on that! I love just walking around the grounds.

Just came back from a Disney trip last week - stayed in the Treehouse Villas. Also, we stayed in the Congress park buildings this past January. Both visits were perfect as were the rooms. Like many others who have posted, don't really understand the hate this resort gets, but that's ok because there are rooms available at some pretty decent times of the year - so great for me and easy on the points!

I agree the transportation may not be ideal, but we drive to WDW and rideshare everywhere anyway. Observationally, the busses appear to run like clockwork and the few folks I spoke with seemed ok with the arrangement. The sprawling nature of the complex will certainly not be to everyone's taste, but I found the grounds relaxing and picturesque. As mentioned, I think the staff here is top-notch maybe only rivaled by the flagship GF resort.

One last thought, since I golf, I like hanging out for a cocktail or two by the pro-shop and they have some pretty decent merchandise - often they are running sales (yes, I said sales on Disney merch) - last week it was buy one and get a second for 50% off - this was on Adidas and Peter Millar Polos along with other brands - 2 Polos and 4 hats later - I was pretty happy to have stopped by.
I love their Pro Shop!!!!

We scheduled in October for the Epcot F&W and DH didn't want a split stay so I moved us from BC/SSR to SSR. Now I'm not sure I'll be able to get him to do more than 1 park day. We love Raglan Road and the Boathouse dock. LOL

We own at Copper Creek and have yet to stay there. Our last two trips we stayed at SSR. Last year we never went to a park. We love it at SSR with its the easy access to Disney Springs. Last year before and after our cruise we spent every day visiting/eating at other resorts and then spent our evenings at Disney Springs. We used the bus often to get to other resorts and never had an issue.

Tip on The Boathouse piece. Use OpenTable. Disney doesn't have very many of their reservation slots. It's typically wide open on OpenTable.
We’ve had very good luck using OpenTable for Boathouse too. One of our favorite restaurants.

I'm glad your last minute trip worked out so smoothly! Hmm...as a DVC owner, maybe I should be stalking these rental sites for last minute deals when I'm out of points!

Re the iced coffee. I hear you. I would like a GOOD cooool coffee drink in the afternoon that is not 700 calories. But, I am actually not sure it exists......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter