Fingerprint or scan of 3-9 year olds at WDW

PBB

Mouseketeer
just saw on Fox News that Disney is requiring children ages 3-9 to be finger printed or scanned to prevent fraud. They did not say if it was all tickets or just Annual Passes...........

makes sense to me, I have often thought that it was strange that they didn't since it would be so easy to use your kids ticket for someone else. My kids insist on getting their finger scanned every time anyway, if we tried to push them through without scanning they would lose their minds

It really only make sense for annual passes. Unless you have Dad take 2 kids into the parks and Mom keeps the other two by the pool and then they switch. The tickets expire in a couple of weeks

But I think this will really slow things down. How many adults have trouble scanning, now it will be 10 times worst.

We were at WDW in December 2015 with grandchildren ages 7. 5. 3 and all 3 were required to have their fingerprint read and there were less issues with the kids than with the adults. All 3 thought it was cool but we have nerds and techies for kids and grandkids...LOL.

We've been here all week with APs, and both my girls 6 and 5, have had to do this. I took a couple times, but they know what to do now without issue.

We were at WDW in December 2015 with grandchildren ages 7. 5. 3 and all 3 were required to have their fingerprint read and there were less issues with the kids than with the adults. All 3 thought it was cool but we have nerds and techies for kids and grandkids...LOL.

glad to hear it worked well ... I was a bit worried about how well the system would work as I understand those readers have can have a tough time with reading kids fingerprints as they aren't as strong as adults

Still wonder what will happen with a kid who has sensory issues - but guess that can happen with adults as well

What I was told when asked (relatives coming in after Thanksgiving and a sensory sensitive nephew ) is that it's all kids, not just pass holders. If the child can't handle the scan, then they can have their picture attached.
As always with things told by a CM, YMMV.

just saw on Fox News that Disney is requiring children ages 3-9 to be finger printed or scanned to prevent fraud. They did not say if it was all tickets or just Annual Passes...........

That raises the very interesting question (to me) of whether the use of WDW tickets by someone other than the original named person is actually "fraud" in the legal sense. Breach of contract no doubt and grounds for denial of entry and cancellation of the ticket ... but but it's arguably not provable as fraud in a criminal court. I doubt for example that in spite of many thousands of breaches of these terms there has ever been a single change of fraud laid or even threatened, let alone proved. The use of well-defined legal term which has serious consequences in a type of case that is and would never result in charges and conviction is rather sloppy and careless. Fear mongering in other words.

It would be interesting to know if Fox inserted the word "fraud" or if they got it from a Disney press release.

Saw it happening for all tickets yesterday at AK turnstile.

glad to hear it worked well ... I was a bit worried about how well the system would work as I understand those readers have can have a tough time with reading kids fingerprints as they aren't as strong as adults

Still wonder what will happen with a kid who has sensory issues - but guess that can happen with adults as well

I can tell you from personal experience, my son's ticket has his picture attached to it to bypass the fingerprint scanner.

I'm glad it went well for some of you, but that was not our case. We were there last week and it was fairly frustrating. It took about 3-4 times longer to get into each park. Every time my 5 year old did it, it failed (blue circle) they would have to reset it and (multiple times) and then call over for support and an additional cast member with a different device would scan her magic band and then it would work. Every Cast Member I asked about it was (professionally) not a fan.

Thankfully, the crowds were very low, but come summer, security check could actually be faster than getting into the parks!

I can tell you from personal experience, my son's ticket has his picture attached to it to bypass the fingerprint scanner.

Is that an AP thing? Never heard that as an option. Even the podcast team was questioning how this would be handles

My 8 year old daughter had her fingerprint scanned when we went to WDW last March.

I have to disagree with you. It is available to all ticket holders and works just like the GAP does. We had to bypass my mother's ticket and hers is not an AP.
Yes I found this out after I posted this. It is available for everyone.

It's for all tickets.

I think it would be fine IF you can get the CHILD to do it and make sure they do it properly and use the same finger etc...

But what is happening is Disney is allowing parents to use THEIR finger scan for the child.

This is a terrible thing to do in my opinion.

What if mom scanned her finger for DD and then dad wanted to take DD to another park while mom took DS for a nap?
How does DD get into the next park?

Also I hate to say it but there are a lot of people out there that just plain old don't have the brain to do it.
I was second in line to a family at HS where a child tapped her magic band and put her finger on the scanner and it didn't work THREE times.
Finally mom was like oh yeah I scanned my finger.
So instead of having her DD scan her band again and mom using her finger she scanned her own band and used her finger.
After that the CM asked them to step aside to allow other guests to enter while they figured out which band to scan and which finger to scan.

People should stop using the term fingerprint for this. It is not because they can't legally do that. It is a finger geometry scan, essentially finger shape and is considerably less unique than a fingerprint.

I was at Disney a few days ago. My family has annual passes, and the my boys (ages 3 and 7) were required to do finger scans. My boys are rather energetic and could not keep their finger still. They would try but ultimately could never get Mickey to turn green. The cast member recommended using my finder print instead. This method worked much better and was less frustrating for myself and everyone standing behind us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter