Finding nemo observation deck

tenneycjt

DIS Veteran
Has anyone tried this alternate experiance, Im not sure if my mom will be able to navigate the stairs this time, i do love this attraction and am wondering what others think without actually going in the subs

My friend prefers it over the submarine attraction. (I prefer the submarine attraction.) It'll be nice because you can sit as a group (if you want) with your mom and enjoy.

I’ve been on it, it’s definitely less crowded, colder, and overall easier to experience. You can also leave at anytime. You see the same show, but obviously not as immersive.

Be prepared to share the room with another party if both groups are small. That can be a bit awkward if the other group isn't very friendly.

I found that it was more comfortable, but it wasn't the same experience. The "sub" was a more immersive experience, while the alternative viewing was more like watching a video of the ride. The room is nicely themed and they try to make it seem like you're still in the "story." I would try it once if you like Nemo.

Honestly, I think both have pros and cons, but if she can't do the stairs, it is a great alternative.

Honestly, I think both have pros and cons, but if she can't do the stairs, it is a great alternative.

Agree. I gladly trade off the "experience" for the peace of mind when Grandma is with us. I worry so much about her on those slippery, steep stairs. And the alternative viewing room was such a great help when youngest was going through a fear-of-the-dark phase. He loved Nemo, but for a while there, the subs freaked him out no end.

Agree. I gladly trade off the "experience" for the peace of mind when Grandma is with us. I worry so much about her on those slippery, steep stairs. And the alternative viewing room was such a great help when youngest was going through a fear-of-the-dark phase. He loved Nemo, but for a while there, the subs freaked him out no end.
I don't blame you, I have issues with the stairs at times. I personally find the observation area much more comfortable, but as others have said there are trade offs.

I don't know if it is still allowed, but years ago I had a niece or nephew asleep in a stroller and I went in to see the alternate show while the rest of the party was on another ride.

I love the submarines, but overall I don't think it is worth the wait.

Following along having never done the alternate viewing. The last time I rode the regular subs, those stairs (and sub itself)seemed steeper, dark, and danker, too. I am not a big Nemo fan (I preferred the original 20,000 leagues version)so that could add in to the disappointment. Plus, we were seated right at the end squished by a wall. I have wondered about sometime giving it another try but through the alternate viewing. One quick question about the viewing room, is it a louder experience? (thinking like a regular movie theater at times)? I don't do well with that type of surround sound loudness. Thanks everyone :)

I don't remember it being particularly loud -- not any louder than the subs themselves. The kids weren't bothered or upset by it. It was nice being in an airier room -- certainly made breathing a lot easier! And I always bring ear plugs in my bag for any time at DLR when I need a noise buffer -- they really help! (And a big hug for you, friend -- glad to see you posting here!)

Last edited:
I’ve done it several times and have never had to share. The last time I was alone just me. Much more enjoyable than being squished in the submarine. Plus I have mild claustrophobia so that doesn’t work well with the subs.

I assume its just a video right? The alternate area doesn't actually move through the attraction?

I assume its just a video right? The alternate area doesn't actually move through the attraction?
Correct. You go into a room themed like the sub workers/divers lockers (complete with “hidden” Disney stuff viewable inside them). There’s a large screen in the middle that is themed like a viewport that opens up & shows you a video of the ride from the perspective of being in the sub. I’m super claustrophobic so I do it either with my group or on my own. Bonus, I almost never have to wait at all & at most I've waited 10 minutes (while my friends were in line for over an hour to do the real version). Extra bonus- AC & it doesn’t smell nasty like the actual subs do.

One extra question. Do you wait in the regular line and once at the end tell the CM you would like to do the movie instead of the actual sub or is there a separate line? Thanks :)

I definately want to do this, Is it a live feed from the sub or a video?
It is a video.

One extra question. Do you wait in the regular line and once at the end tell the CM you would like to do the movie instead of the actual sub or is there a separate line? Thanks :)
No. there is a separate "line." I put "line" in quotes because I have never had to wait, I asked to use the observation deck and was immediately let in.

Thanks so much, Disneychrista. So when I would get to Nemo, I should just tell the CM I would like to use the observation deck. They will direct me where to wait or go? I am planning to go to DL in early May and will have to check it out. I will report back :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter