• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Final Payment Due Saturday! To pay or not to pay?

Spork24

Mr. Blue Bird on my shoulder
My family ( 3 generations) are set to go on the Wonder to Alaska in July. Final payment is still due this Saturday if Disney doesn't come to their senses and give us a delayed final payment date.

Unfortunately we have already missed the date which we would get our deposit back, but I am seriously considering backing out. Everyone still wants to go, but final payment for 3 cabins for a weeks cruise to Alaska is a very significant amount of money. I just don't think its prudent to pay them any more money with the summers travel conditions so unknown at this time.

I hate to lose out on the deposit but paying more money now feels like chasing pennies with dimes.

Anyone else in a similar situation? I would love to hear your thoughts?

I think DCL will extend their temporary cancellation policy past May, if need be. I don’t know how much money you are out with that. I thought it was none, though you have to rebook.

Unfortunately we have already missed the date which we would get our deposit back
Are you concierge? I didn't think DCL cancellation penalties begin until after the PIF date except for concierge deposits which are always non-refundable. But if you are concierge, you should be able to push the date out, to avoid losing the deposit - and keep pushing it further if needed.

IF DCL extends the temporary policy -- which I think is a very strong possibility -- you could end up with full credit for a future cruise (or 3). Would that be acceptable for you? Many seem be to struggling to reschedule within a year, so if you don't think you could use the credits (3 credits, one for each stateroom), and don't feel comfortable cruising, I would cut my loses sooner rather than later.

Enjoy your cruise!

Are you concierge? I didn't think DCL cancellation penalties begin until after the PIF date except for concierge deposits which are always non-refundable. But if you are concierge, you should be able to push the date out, to avoid losing the deposit - and keep pushing it further if needed.

I have the same question. I had to cancel a previous DCL cruise a while back and we were told we would get the deposit back all the way up until PIF day, and I've been working under the same assumption for this summer's cruise.

If your PIF date is this Saturday and you don't pay the remaining balance your cruise will cancel and you will get your deposits back. You don't even need to call them to cancel, it cancels automatically.

If your PIF date is this Saturday and you don't pay the remaining balance your cruise will cancel and you will get your deposits back. You don't even need to call them to cancel, it cancels automatically.

Yes so I believe you are correct. I thought disney had changed their policy as the email I got from my travel agent (the one that shares ownership with this site) said I was not eligible for a refund of deposit. I am not concierge so I should be able to get my deposit back.

Is this new? It used to be if you didn't change dates or PIF by due date, you lost your deposit. This actually happened to my BIL/SIL.

I'd consider cancelling, I've read that Canada is thinking of 'delaying' cruise ship season which could throw a wrench into everything.

Is this new? It used to be if you didn't change dates or PIF by due date, you lost your deposit. This actually happened to my BIL/SIL.
Hmmmm.....a friend of mine forgot to pay by PIF and I swear she got her deposit back :scratchin Sorry, hope I'm not giving wrong info!

I'd consider cancelling, I've read that Canada is thinking of 'delaying' cruise ship season which could throw a wrench into everything.
Today the Port of Seattle announced it was cancelling the first two cruises which are in early April. I know Disney sails out of Vancouver, but I wouldn't be surprised if the port of Vancouver followed suit as our cruise season starts in early April as well.

Yes so I believe you are correct. I thought disney had changed their policy as the email I got from my travel agent (the one that shares ownership with this site) said I was not eligible for a refund of deposit. I am not concierge so I should be able to get my deposit back.

Sometimes travel agents have their own cancellation fees on top of Disney's policies. You might want to check that out. I always ask if there are additional cancellation fees on top of Disney's. Otherwise, it's better to book with Disney direct.

If that happens, then it’s DCL that cancels on us, not us canceling on them... so we’d get our money back even after PIF right? I mean, not a refund but a credit.

Today the Port of Seattle announced it was cancelling the first two cruises which are in early April. I know Disney sails out of Vancouver, but I wouldn't be surprised if the port of Vancouver followed suit as our cruise season starts in early April as well.

If your planning on going, buy cancel for any reason trip insurance before your PIF. Otherwise you are relying on Disney to cancel for you to get your whole money back.

We have an Alaska cruise set for June and although I'm already passed PIF I'm waiting to see what happens. I'm really hoping, of course, things will have calmed down by then. I guess I would call Disney and see if they can extend?

This is just me, but in the face of potential disaster, preserve capital and bunker down. If I could go back to our PIF, I would kneel and thank the Gods, sacrifice a chicken, or whatever to be able to cancel before our PIF.

At this point in time, don't pay in full...so you can get some refund... Just skip this coming cruise in my honest opinion, and save for a future trip. It's not worth the hassle to later be stuck somewhere on a ship, 14 day quarantine, not being able to dock at certain ports, miss work/school etc... I think the best thing to do is social distancing keep the COVID-19 at bay.

I would read the policy carefully before purchasing. I’ve heard that “cancel for any reason” doesn’t always work on things that could have been foreseen. At this point, one can’t really claim coronavirus is “unforeseen”.

If your planning on going, buy cancel for any reason trip insurance before your PIF. Otherwise you are relying on Disney to cancel for you to get your whole money back.

My family ( 3 generations) are set to go on the Wonder to Alaska in July. Final payment is still due this Saturday if Disney doesn't come to their senses and give us a delayed final payment date.

Unfortunately we have already missed the date which we would get our deposit back, but I am seriously considering backing out. Everyone still wants to go, but final payment for 3 cabins for a weeks cruise to Alaska is a very significant amount of money. I just don't think its prudent to pay them any more money with the summers travel conditions so unknown at this time.

I hate to lose out on the deposit but paying more money now feels like chasing pennies with dimes.

Anyone else in a similar situation? I would love to hear your thoughts?

Confused.....if your PIF date is this Saturday how are you already losing your deposit? If you are incorrect about losing your deposit then FYI you MUST officially cancel your cruise in order to get your deposit back. Do not just let it go because if you do then you will definitely lose your deposit. Call and cancel before your PIF date.

My friend thought you could just let the clock run out and not pay the balance and they would get their deposit back...nope. They got an email that the reservation canceled but that they also lost their deposit. When they called Disney they were told they had to officially cancel the reservation before PIF to get their deposit back. This just happened about 10 days ago. Not a happy camper.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter