• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Figment Popcorn Bucket Insanity

Which comes back to - manufacture enough! If there wasn't a resale market, people wouldn't need to game the system to purchase more. Who would pay inflated e-bay prices when you could get it at the (less inflated) list price?
Or you could take away people's APs of all who resell them.

Disney collectible popcorn bucket sales should move online. Do it on shopdisney.com, limit it to one per transaction, for a limited time or purchase with purchase deal. If people are willing to pay resellers $200, Disney needs to raise their prices.

Online sales open ups the market to all collectors, not just those in central Florida who can bring their family members with them to stand in line for 5 hours, each person get 2 and resell on eBay. Get this mess out of the parks and give the CMs a break.

That's negative publicity (maybe?) and a lot more effort, compared to just manufacturing enough in the first place.
While it would take effort, apparently they have revoked some people's APs. I don't think it's negative publicity as mush punishing those who who resell Disney items.

While it would take effort, apparently they have revoked some people's APs. I don't think it's negative publicity as mush punishing those who who resell Disney items.
I agree, but you know that people spin their own tales of woe, even if they're in the wrong.

Manufacturing enough also has the direct benefit of selling more = more profit!

Can someone tell me why people are waiting so long for a popcorn bucket? Does it have special features?

There are ebay listings for DRAWINGS of the bucket that are getting bids! Pretty crazy stuff.
It's possible someone might want original artwork inspired by the popcorn bucket, but I think it's more likely that some of these sellers are counting on buyers not reading the description carefully and think they are getting a bucket and not just a drawing.

I've seen lots of listings on eBay over the years for photographs of various collectible items and I always think those are targeting careless bidders who think they're bidding on the actual collectible and not just a 4"x6" photo of it.

Last edited:
Just read on the Disney food blog, the buckets sold out yesterday afternoon.
They don't know when or if more will come in

I can never understand so much animosity toward someone that follows the rules, buys an item and then resells it. I mean, we are talking about a limited time limited quantity item that is only available at a single location in the world. If someone is breaking the rules somehow, say has a friend that works for Disney and manages to slide a few hundred out the back door-or is belligerent and tries to force the CM to break the limit rules-sure that’s a different story. But someone pays for tickets, waits in line, purchases two per person with a paid ticket…there simply is nothing evil or wrong by offering the item up for sale. People who miss it will be frustrated, sure, but owning something acquired fairly that other people in the world were not in position to get and are willing to pay extra for…there is just no reason for so much animosity.

sure Disney could offer them up for sale online but then there is a lot more to consider. One, it’s no longer a refillable popcorn bucket at all (or even a popcorn bucket at all, as honestly it’s totally impractical for serving popcorn in) as the vast majority of people buying won’t arrive until after it’s no longer eligible for refills. Two, resellers will have bots buy them all immediately if limited in quantity. Three, they won’t be available for people at the parks at all-not much of a solution in that. Finally, if they have enough supply for the whole world to buy every time they make a new design, it just become mass produced garbage-the whole value of this is it is limited and hard to get and exclusive. It isn’t a necessary item like diabetes medication or even a practical item, it is literally impractical and only desirable because some people think it’s cute and hard to get. There is no scenario where something can be both hard to get, exclusive, collectible and people who buy it won’t be offered more than they paid for it, unless Disney marks up prices to match worldwide demand. Is that really what we want though? Do we really want Disney to charge every guest at the park the absolute maximum amount that someone in the world is willing to pay?

As for me, if I am at the parks and I see something that is hard to get and will help me pay for the trip, I think of it as a great discount on a Disney gift card and buy however many Disney will let me buy- hard limit of two per person ime. I am not about to leave money on the table, so if that makes me an evil person, so be it.

Last edited:
I can never understand so much animosity toward someone that follows the rules, buys an item and then resells it. I mean, we are talking about a limited time limited quantity item that is only available at a single location in the world. If someone is breaking the rules somehow, say has a friend that works for Disney and manages to slide a few hundred out the back door-or is belligerent and tries to force the CM to break the limit rules-sure that’s a different story. But someone pays for tickets, waits in line, purchases two per person with a paid ticket…there simply is nothing evil or wrong by offering the item up for sale. People who miss it will be frustrated, sure, but owning something acquired fairly that other people in the world were not in position to get and are willing to pay extra for…there is just no reason for so much animosity.

sure Disney could offer them up for sale online but then there is a lot more to consider. One, it’s no longer a refillable popcorn bucket at all (or even a popcorn bucket at all, as honestly it’s totally impractical for serving popcorn in) as the vast majority of people buying won’t arrive until after it’s no longer eligible for refills. Two, resellers will have bots buy them all immediately if limited in quantity. Three, they won’t be available for people at the parks at all-not much of a solution in that. Finally, if they have enough supply for the whole world to buy every time they make a new design, it just become mass produced garbage-the whole value of this is it is limited and hard to get and exclusive. It isn’t a necessary item like diabetes medication or even a practical item, it is literally impractical and only desirable because some people think it’s cute and hard to get. There is no scenario where something can be both hard to get, exclusive, collectible and people who buy it won’t be offered more than they paid for it, unless Disney marks up prices to match worldwide demand. Is that really what we want though? Do we really want Disney to charge every guest at the park the absolute maximum amount that someone in the world is willing to pay?

As for me, if I am at the parks and I see something that is hard to get and will help me pay for the trip, I think of it as a great discount on a Disney gift card and buy however many Disney will let me buy- hard limit of two per person ime. I am not about to leave money on the table, so if that makes me an evil person, so be it.
The issue is that, when you see people walking around with 20 of them, they are abusing the 2 per person rule somehow.

It's possible someone might want original artwork inspired by the popcorn bucket, but I think it's more likely that some of these sellers are counting on buyers not reading the description carefully and think they are getting a bucket and not just a drawing.
Maybe, or it's people with dummy accounts that bid on their own listings, which is a common issue on ebay.

The issue is that, when you see people walking around with 20 of them, they are abusing the 2 per person rule somehow.

I would agree if a single person purchased 20. I haven’t seen pictures of people with more than 6 myself, However it seems reasonable to conclude that these people had families and each person purchased two. It was probably somebody like myself who forced his wife and kids to buy two each-true (I would have if I had been there, though I would not have waited 6.5 hrs) but at the end of the day Disney did charge for each of those people to enter. Now, it might make sense-for Disney to change the policies to a per group in certain cases like this-but that is hard to enforce and as I said, they did charge for each ticket. Regardless that isn’t the policy, so as long as Disney is allowing two per guest, and each guest is waiting in line and making an honest purchase, being frustrated at families of 10 people buying 20 buckets makes sense, but such vitriol toward them isn’t reasonable, imo.

Maybe, or it's people with dummy accounts that bid on their own listings, which is a common issue on ebay.
Yea, I have read of people who have % off discounts that have groups of friends that basically rip off eBay by using multiple accounts to pretend to sell and get % back. Would never risk my account doing something like that, nor want to, but some people do that stuff.

Yea, I have read of people who have % off discounts that have groups of friends that basically rip off eBay by using multiple accounts to pretend to sell and get % back. Would never risk my account doing something like that, nor want to, but some people do that stuff.
There's websites that pay people to set up accounts to inflate prices, give positive feedback, and make dummy purchases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter