February 2017 Wish Lifestyle / Weight Challenge: Beat the Sugar Rush and Earn Your Hero Medal!

Yesterdays WhooHoo

Last December I decided I will push harder in the gym. I made it hard for myself, I got really hungry and tired and went into a mode when I am trying to walk more to catch up with my eating and get even hungrier...

Last March when I joined the forums I felt I need to give up dieting mentality and focus on long term habits and consistency with my eating. I went over MFP history and I figured on and off plans really don't work for me!

I always assumed at some point I will start working out harder in the gym again. I thought that's what I am supposed to do. That's how you get stronger and fitter and healthier, by pushing as hard as you can. I felt if I don't feel drained after workout, I have done it wrong. It wasn't priority last year and I did great until I made it priority again.

I just had really good thing about what I want vs what I am currently getting by pushing that hard
What I want - to be healthy, to have energy to do things I love with people I love
What I get - sit in pain, cranky, tired, unable to find energy to go out for a cycle with my son
I assumed in the past that eventually I will be able to get much stronger and the soreness, tiredness and hunger will reduce but it didn't. It never got me anywhere. I tried enough times to know it just doesn't work for me.

I guess, I had to have another failed attempt to have a really good think and decide to change how I view working out. I woke up feeling happy and relieved yesterday. I cut down my strength training workout plans for 3 times weekly under 30 minutes, cut the sets, reps, weight. Some strength training is important for healthy aging. But I am ready to let go of old patterns/beliefs that don't serve me and start viewing working out in more gentle way.

Apart from this I will still do my yoga, walks and swim. But I am done trying to constantly up weights, or lift as heavy as I can every time I am in the gym. I actually enjoyed pushing really hard in the gym, I get buzz out of it but I don't enjoy the impact it have on my energy, mood and hunger for days after. One of the bloggers made comment - "NOT making my arms so pointlessly sore I can't shampoo my hair". Big line. I don't see the point of training in way to make me feel like crying if I have to climb few stairs... And I tried it before, it didn't get easier if I just persist.

As relieved I was last year leaving on and off diets behind me, I feel the same about the way I exercise now. I guess little sad letting go of a vision of supper strong me! At least in the gym sense, I can totally be super strong person in life. I am 38. I can't do stupid stuff anymore. I can't do the same things again and expect different result. I need to do things to support the life I want to live, making myself pointlessly sore isn't it.

What about that for a long WhooHoo?

haha. Sorry.

February 15 - It's WooHoo Wednesday

It's a dance party, not group aerobics.

All right folks. It's that time again... time to celebrate and share your big
accomplishment for the week. No celebration is too big or small
and it can be workout, life, Disney, etc related. Nothing is
off limits. Time to brag and share your success!

Day late here, but my woohoo for this week is my healing burn! Still a lot of redness and some crusty scabs at my hairline (sounds great, doesn't it?), but overall it looks so much better! I went back to look at the photos I've been taking along the way and wow.... it was really bad!

And another woohoo.... an unexpected generous gift of money from my parents for Valentine's day. It couldn't have come at a better time! Will try to replace the money taken from the emergency fund to make the most recent tuition payment and use some to pay the ONE bill hanging over my head (it's not a huge number.... but we don't have ANY other debt other than the mortgage... because debt makes me nutty!). My Mom and Dad would like us to come visit them in Florida next winter, so I will put the rest away for that.

I also posted a few things for sale on some FB yard sale groups to help boost the tiny paychecks that this snow is creating and sold two items almost immediately.... and one of them was for a good return (bought for $4... sold for $25).

Good Thursday morning all! I've been keeping up with the reading here and "liking" so many of your romantic stories and woohoo Wednesday posts! But I haven't had much time to reply.... until now! I was supposed to work today and we have a 2 hour delay due to snow.... but because of the delay a workshop was cancelled and as such apparently I'm no longer needed. So while the paycheck is taking YET another hit, I'll say a little woohoo for an unexpected day off!

Since I am the one NOT working today and DH has to head out to Massachusetts for a meeting, I guess I will need to be the "snow removal person" today! But of course, it has started snowing again, so I'll have to wait a while.

Off to get some laundry done!.............P

Good morning! Yesterday I didn't get a chance to work out. I had an eye doctor appointment after work and then on the way home it was snowing and the roads were really bad. Bad enough that my husband didn't take the kids to PSR. If he says they are bad they must be really bad. I decided to go home instead of working out and the roads being even worse after I got done. I still got a decent amount of steps but I don't know how many. I deactivated my old fit bit after it hit 10,000. I hit that by 1 yesterday. It was so wrong though. I am sure I was some where around 7,000 steps.

The eye doctor appointment went as I thought. I do have the same eye issue as my daughter. She has a few more though. We both have convergence issues. Basically our eyes do not like teaming up with each other to see. You get a lot of double and blurred vision. I have noticed seeing at night driving is really bad for me. The doctor thinks this is related to this issue. I now have to get glasses with a prism in them. This will help my eyes to work together without having to strain them too much. Hopefully this will cut down on the amount of headaches I get. This is a big symptom of CI. I also have to do vision therapy at home. My daughter and I are doing it together. I know understand why she fought to do them over the summer. They are not easy. One good thing that came out of this appointment is that my eyes have stayed the same now for the 3rd year. The strength of my glasses did not change I just need the prism.

Dinner last night was the chocolate cover strawberries my kids did not eat. They would have been gross by this afternoon. The strawberries were already getting mushy last night. I am not looking forward to getting on the scale this week. I am sure it will be a not so great number. The chocolate is now out of the house so I will be back to normal eating today.

As always, wonderful insight, @HappyGrape! I'm at the tired, sore, and cranky part of my journey, hoping it will get easier. For me, I need to keep pushing since this is my first try at getting strong--- like ever. But after a while, I can totally see how being able to wash my hair and take stairs without wincing at every step is totally more important over all.

Day late here, but my woohoo for this week is my healing burn! Still a lot of redness and some crusty scabs at my hairline (sounds great, doesn't it?), but overall it looks so much better! I went back to look at the photos I've been taking along the way and wow.... it was really bad!

Glad to hear you're getting better! What an awful burn that was!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had a revelation y'all-- I have been struggling to get into the "Orange zone" (between 84 - 90% max heart rate) in my work outs last month like crazy. The general structure of the class is either weights and rowing first or cardio first and then you switch. I was choosing the cardio group first every time because I was thinking about it as a warm up to the strength part and also I was fresher and could go harder. Two classes ago, I was late and had to be in weights first group. I was bummed at first, but afterwards I was shocked to see I had doubled my Orange time.

So last night, I tried it again to see if it was just a fluke. And I beat my last class by three more minutes! I mean I was seriously going to talk to the people if it didn't get better this month--- like I was thinking my heart rate monitor is messed up or either my heart meds aren't allowing for me to get in the zone. Nope-- my body just wants to do it the other way around. I'm so excited about figuring this out. I will try to mix it up from time to time to see, but I'm so relieved to have found what works for now!

February 16 - Let's talk about... villains.
giphy.gif

Surprise. Spoilers :P
Every good story has a villain in it - and while Ralph is the "bad guy" of his video game, he's actually a good guy deep down. The actual bad guy is King Candy aka: Turbo (SPOILERS!) and he's the one responsible for Vanellope's glitching and most of the activity for the second half.

We're approaching our second half of the challenge. Can you believe it? Instead of focusing on your villains, let's just talk about Disney villains... because we love ourselves and will not let the bad guys (or thoughts) ruin our progress.

Question of the Day:
Let's talk Disney villains. Who is your favorite and why?
Do you have a least favorite villain?

I haven't seen a lot of Disney films, I know, kind of strange isn't it? Of the recent ones I've seen live-action Cinderella and Brave. Going back to the "classics" I can't think of any of the evils that I relate to, but for character interactions in the parks I get a kick out of the Step Sisters, oh and my guy Gaston. I think I've mentioned how watching his meet-and-greet was the highlight of my last trip.

I ended up crawling in to bed at about 8pm last night... the Rolfing work I had done really wiped me out, in a good way. And I slept thru the night, which doesn't always happen when hitting the hay that early... feeling pretty good today, so that's a nice improvement. Don't have any pans for the holiday weekend yet, but starting to think about it, and about trying to get out somewhere for a walk, if it isn't too wet. We've been having so much rain, this morning they were saying of the month stopped today it would be one of the wettest February's on record, that the mud slides are starting to happen, so hopefully it'll dry out for a couple days.

Now that I'm pretty much planning on going to WDW in November, I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do and cruising the other DisBoards, and wouldn't you know it the Disney-in-Spring gene is starting to wake up: good thing I have a beach trip coming up next week, to hopefully take my mind off of it.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Surprise. Spoilers :P
Every good story has a villain in it - and while Ralph is the "bad guy" of his video game, he's actually a good guy deep down. The actual bad guy is King Candy aka: Turbo (SPOILERS!) and he's the one responsible for Vanellope's glitching and most of the activity for the second half.

We're approaching our second half of the challenge. Can you believe it? Instead of focusing on your villains, let's just talk about Disney villains... because we love ourselves and will not let the bad guys (or thoughts) ruin our progress.

Question of the Day:

Hmmm....... These questions have been hard this month. I am not sure I like any villains. I think I will have to say Maleficent but the one in the live action version that just came out a few years ago. But I am not 100% sure she was a real villain in that movie. I watch WWE and I am the same way with them. If they are portrayed as a bad guy I don't like them. If a good guy switches to a bad guy I no longer like them.

++++++++++++

So I am having a bit of a bummed day. My brother, who is almost 34, was born with a heart condition know as Transposition of the Great Vessels. Basically his heart did not pump blood like it should. He had open heart surgery as a baby and has been doing great ever since. We are all very aware that he won't live as long as us and that at some point he will need a pace maker. I think my sister and I knew most of this before he knew. He found out when he was 18 that he may not out live our parents. My mom and step dad never told him about the life expectancy because you never know what will happen. The doctor told him and then he spiraled out of control with drinking until he had my nephew. Ok back to why I am bummed. My mom told me last night that he has to have the pace maker now. He was going to a doctor that from the sounds of it was really bad. His insurance changed at work and now he gets to go back to the doctor he likes. She did a full work up and had to wear a heart monitor for a day or so. My mom said that at times his heart rate went down to 29. It is not an emergency right now but he needs to get one soon. My brother is working on getting is scheduled. My brother has yet to tell anyone but my step dad (his dad) about it and we think he has only told him because my step dad is his boss.

I know he will be fine and i know this is good for him. Other family members who have this have not lived as long and I had a boyfriend who's brother has it and had a pace maker by 18. It is a shock that he has been able to go this long without it. It has just brought up the feelings that he is not the normal healthy person I think. I haven't forgetting that he has this issue but you just don't really think about it until you have too.

I am so sorry piglet. When my husband was in the hospital few years ago we were shocked how quickly patients with pace maker were in and out of the hospital. Doctors commented that out of all treatment biggest advances in recent years are in heart surgeries. I hope everything goes very uneventful and he get it sorted soon

I am so sorry piglet. When my husband was in the hospital few years ago we were shocked how quickly patients with pace maker were in and out of the hospital. Doctors commented that out of all treatment biggest advances in recent years are in heart surgeries. I hope everything goes very uneventful and he get it sorted soon

Thank you. When i had my kids the heart doctor told me that the surgery that they do for his condition is a lot different and they now don't have to have pace makers. This gs have really advanced in a,short time. My mom's cousin had the same thing but they didn't have the surgery then and she died really young. It is really amazing how things have improved

21 minutes of exercise today consisting of 16 minutes of walking and 5 minutes of toning.

My favorite Villan would have to be Horace and Jasper the way that they try to be bad but they are so bad at being bad you almost think that deep down they are good. Are they really bad or are they just trapped in a bad situation with Cruella.

As always, wonderful insight, @HappyGrape! I'm at the tired, sore, and cranky part of my journey, hoping it will get easier. For me, I need to keep pushing since this is my first try at getting strong--- like ever. But after a while, I can totally see how being able to wash my hair and take stairs without wincing at every step is totally more important over all.

Glad to hear you're getting better! What an awful burn that was!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had a revelation y'all-- I have been struggling to get into the "Orange zone" (between 84 - 90% max heart rate) in my work outs last month like crazy. The general structure of the class is either weights and rowing first or cardio first and then you switch. I was choosing the cardio group first every time because I was thinking about it as a warm up to the strength part and also I was fresher and could go harder. Two classes ago, I was late and had to be in weights first group. I was bummed at first, but afterwards I was shocked to see I had doubled my Orange time.

So last night, I tried it again to see if it was just a fluke. And I beat my last class by three more minutes! I mean I was seriously going to talk to the people if it didn't get better this month--- like I was thinking my heart rate monitor is messed up or either my heart meds aren't allowing for me to get in the zone. Nope-- my body just wants to do it the other way around. I'm so excited about figuring this out. I will try to mix it up from time to time to see, but I'm so relieved to have found what works for now!

YUP.... washing your hair without wincing is the goal!! :)

Glad to hear you figured out how to get into that orange zone! You are right.... it does sound counter intuitive, but you finally nailed it!

Question of the Day:

Favorite..... in thinking about who I like to MEET in the parks, it seems I am all about the QUEENS! Evil Queen (from Snow White) and the Queen of Hearts are two that I enjoy meeting.... also love meeting GASTON. Haven't had the chance to meet Lady Tremaine or the step-sisters, but it is on my bucket list! Mother Gothel.... OMG! Love her! My kids and I were totally cracking up the first time we saw the movie, when she was smoothing her wrinkles in the mirror. I do that ALL THE TIME! I would love to make myself a Mother Gothel costume... but I'd have to wear a wig because I'm blonde.

Least favorite??? Hmmmmm.... not a big fan of Wreck-It Ralph and that king is just weird and freaky!

Hey friends... HAPPY FRIDAY!!! Not making much progress this month toward my goal, but at least I haven't gained. I think having many, many snow days here at home has definitely impacted my activity. But no excuses, right?!

It appears that I have yet ANOTHER day off today! I am not scheduled to work at school today and haven't been called. I do have some groceries in the fridge, so I think I will do a bit of batch cooking..... some split pea soup and some southwest black bean quinoa stew maybe.... and definitely some curried chicken.

Okay.... my morning shift is over and my banana and coffee are gone.... time to move on to real breakfast soon! TTYL.........P

Favourite villains - in our house its Darth Vader - Then for me its got to be the Evil Queen from Snow White BUT not the one in the original animated movie - I like Julie Roberts as her in Mirror Mirror and also Regina in Once Upon A Time.

I think it's a about balance about how much to do and still enjoy yourself. As if you aren't eventually you will stop doing it. But when you start there is element of pushing yourself as if you are inactive, you won't have much energy. On this lower level of activity without trying I still did average of 13500 steps a daily, 3 solid lifting sessions including this as bench presses, shoulder presses, squats. But stick to barbell or 20 kg squats and 3 sets by 10 reps, compared to 35kg to failure. I also did yoga class and went for a swim twice.

I think some pushing is good and important of course, but not every single time and not up to a level you don't have energy outside the gym.

Favourite villains - in our house its Darth Vader - Then for me its got to be the Evil Queen from Snow White BUT not the one in the original animated movie - I like Julie Roberts as her in Mirror Mirror and also Regina in Once Upon A Time.

I do really like Regina too. I can't wait for Once to be back on. Only about 2 weeks to go.

Free talk Friday!

We've had a couple days break in the rain now, very much appreciated. It looks like Saturday will also be mostly dry, so if I'm going to get outside that's going to be the best choice. Sunday I'm taking the ferry over to Bainbridge Island with my Sister, to go to a cute yarn shop there and then if it isn't too rainy we'll drive over to Pt Townsend, a cool Victorian fishing town, for lunch. I just wanted to do something outside of the normal weekend routine. Monday will be clean house/get ready for the week day.

Hope all have a wonderful weekend. :)

Last edited:
I got a 16 minute walk in for Friday with 26 laps done. Afterwards I had a nice long soak in the tub and then spent some time with my husband so I did not get on the computer until now.
Not much going on here. 12 year old went to play with her cousin for a while yesterday and then came home slightly later. Cousin had an emergency volleyball practice ( 8th grade). This means that there is one of a few situations going on with the team. 1 there is a player who has a parent complaining that they are not getting a certain amount of playing time. 2. There is a player on the team that the coach wants to quite and is hoping that doing this will force the issue. 3. The coach is just plan disorganized Whatever the reason it makes it difficult for those girls to have a life outside of volleyball, school, and homework right now and is outright unfair for the girls who don't have someone who can drive them to an "emergency practice"
9 year old spent the day outright refusing to do as told and openly disobeying house rules including to her dad. At least DH was home yesterday to help with her little attitude.

Today (Saturday) We have a 4-H rabbit workshop followed by an hour break during which we are going to go to the MATE show and get something to eat on the fairgrounds ( meeting is on the grounds as well but in another building). We have Quality Assurance for both girls after the break. Plan is to spend some time checking out thrift shops and even pawn shops for a lamp for part of the living room as mine died. (It was interesting doing my nails last night with just a penlight).

Hello all,
Yesterday was DS party and I have sore muscles - can only be from my joining in riding down the waterslides lol - which of course also included several trips up the stairs - the day was also balanced with relaxing swimming and laying by the pool with a good book - so I was a little surprised by the body aches this morning! I was in bed by 8.30pm last night and woke up at 8.30am this morning - we have nothing for breakfast, the house is a mess, it is hot already ..... hmmm I seem to be on a negative roll lol. Soooo that means I need to shower, dress, head out to the shops and do some shopping as well as getting DS16 to work for 12pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter