fast pass line and the GAP

David.g

Earning My Ears
Hi all

I have used the guest Assistance Pass on our last two trips to Disney only to get seating for the parades as I have problems standing too long.

my question is I have seen on various message boards people saying that you can use the GAP to go down the fast pass line on some rides is this true?? :confused3

Thanks
David

First of all, you are referring to a Guest Assistance Card, not a pass.

I don't know if you are asking about Walt Disney World or DisneyLand. A couple of years ago DL changed their pass to the basic standards at WDW. One of the concepts WDW used and now DL also uses is that for stamina or mobility problems they suggest use of a wheelchair or ECV. The purpose of a GAC is not to generally reduce wait times.

Almost all WDW attractions are "mainstreamed" where a wc or ECV will go through the line just like anyone else. There are some situations where the GAC will be given a stamp which will allow use of the FP lines without having gotten a FP, but that is only where the problem is not just stamina or mobility.

It actually says on the card that it is not meant to shorten or eliminate waits in line. The text on the card also suggests using Fastpass (the regular way) if you want to shorten your wait in line.
The GACs are not all the same; there are individual messages stamped on the GAC based on the needs of the person the GAC is issued to. Very few GACs allow use of the fastpass line, and even those that do, ask that the GAC be used sparingly and Fastpass used if possible.
And as Cheshire Figment mentioned, the recommendation for stamina or endurance concerns is to use a wheelchair or ecv. That makes a lot of common sense, since the time and distance spent in line are a very small amount of the time spent in the park. And, since almost all the lines are accessible, most wheelchair/ecv users don't need a GAC.

My daughter has a mild form of autism and has meltdowns when waiting on line...We went one and she got so out of control she scratched my face to the point it bled. We almost never came back to DW. But, a friend whose daughter is also Autistic told us about the GAC. I have gotten it the 3 times we have gone. I just tell the CM at guest relations she has problem with crowds and lines. And they give us a the GAC, with nothing specific written and we use it on the fast pass line.
If not for the GAC we may never have come back with her or the rest of my family. I really appreciate WD for doing this. And allowing my daughter and other kids the fun of Disney. :)

We haven't been to DisneyWorld for 5 years, and are planning a trip at the end of this month. My son is diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome and, although there are times he is perfectly fine, there are others (usually without warning) where he can have something closely resembling a panic attack. It usually has something to do with extremely loud noise, thunderstorms, etc. During our last trip to Disney, he panicked during a thunderstorm and we ducked into Palio's restaurant, where the waiter was very kind to him.

I hadn't even considered a GAC until reading some of the posts today, here and elsewhere. I've been experiencing a good amount of anxiety over whether he'll be able to handle the crowds, the lines, etc. I think just knowing that if he was having a bad day, problems could be avoided, would make a trip so much more enjoyable for all of us.

My question is, since the trip is coming up so quickly and I won't be able to get a doctor's note before leaving, is it appropriate or adequate to bring an IEP with me that includes his diagnosis (from the school psychologist, as well as his psychiatrist)? I'm nervous about even asking for a GAC.

Just go to Guest Services in any of the parks and talk to the CM there about your sons problems and needs. The diagnosis is not really that important because people with the same diagnosis can have very different needs. The GAC is not given based on diagnosis at all (for example, there is not a "list" of appropriate diagnosis for a GAC); the GAC is given based on needs.
Afew other things
- think of the GAC like an insurance card, not necessarily needed or used all the time, but there for when you need it.
- even on the same attraction, the GAC is not handled the same each time. Exactly what happens depends on how busy it is, how many other people with special needs are there at the time and staffing.
- if you/your child needs a lot of consistency in what will happen, getting Fastpasses will give the most consistency. You don't have to be present to get a fastpass, you can send one member of your party ahead with all the park passes to get fastpasses. When you report back to the ride at your fastpass return time, your wait will be 15 minutes or less.

Thank you, Sue. An insurance card is exactly how I would think of the GAC...I could even see us not having to use it at all. I think I'll bring the IEP just so they can see (if they need to) what his special needs are, etc. At school, for example, he uses an alternate entrance so that he isn't "squeezed" by the crowd entering the main entrance. So, an alternate entrance to a ride or show would probably help tremendously.

Can you explain you child's needs? That is all you need to do to get a GAC. You don't need a doctor's note or his IEP. In fact the castmember prefer you do not give this to them. Simply my child is autistic, he is unable to tolerate crowds in line, the possibility of strangers touching him, He needs to wait in a quieter area, out of the sun, whatever you know he needs to make the trip easier for him.

An example. I am hard of hearing and use a power wheelchair for mobility and I am often in the parks without a caregiver. My needs are captioning or interpreting as well as access with my wheelchair. If no captioning then I need to be close to the speaker which means sitting in the front and frequently wheelchair are placed in the back so they have to modify that. Also due to the limited battery power of the wheelcahir and the schedule for interpreted shows I can't always run back and forth to get fastpasses. (If husband is with me we get fastpasses as he can run and get them) My card indicates that I am to be seated near to the front and that I can use alternate entrances if needed. It also is written that I can transfer to a seat if needed.
Do I use it a lot. Not really. Maybe for 1 or 2 rides in a day if that. It is a back-up when castmembers aren't understanding that more than the wheelchair needs to be accommodated.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions, Talking Hands! (BTW, my degree is in Deaf Education and I taught sign language for several years :-)

I can certainly describe my son's needs, and he can express them pretty well himself. I've talked to him tonight and explained how this could help if needed (he especially likes the idea of a "quiet room" if overstimulated). He's not the kind of kid who likes to be singled out or catered to and I was afraid he would stand there next to me and tell the person he didn't need any help. :sad2:

I'll probably bring the IEP along, just in case someone asks for something (someone elsewhere mentioned the need of a doctor's note).

I so hope this works. It would alleviate so much anxiety and fear in my son, and in me!

Because of HIPPA they cannot ask for a doctor's note.
With my aids in (too hot to wear at Disney) I am an interpreter. Right now for my church only but am taking my QAST again in Sept. Hope I pass this time. I am not a good test taker. Better one on one with people.

Good luck to you! I don't know if I could ever pass such a test.

The point about HIPPA makes sense...I hadn't thought of that.

liamfan said:
Good luck to you! I don't know if I could ever pass such a test.

The point about HIPPA makes sense...I hadn't thought of that.

My son has Asperger's too. You won't need any documentation, you'll just need to be able to explain what his needs are. Besides, do you really want to have to bring a copy of his IEP along? That's a big packet if it is anything like the one my son's IEP team has put together for him! :sunny:

Have a great trip!

Thank you, Barb! Yep, the IEP is a good sized pack of paper...I'd rather not have to carry it with me, but if I had to, I would. I'm encouraged by others' experiences. We've been talking to our son about it today and he agrees it's a good idea.

We've sort of subconsciously adjusted what we do accordingly, without realizing what we're doing (if that makes sense). E.g., leaving early before fireworks begin; staying inside if it looks like there could be a thunderstorm; making sure to avoid rides with surprise explosions, etc. But when I start to really think about it, I realize that there is a lot we're missing because of trying to avoid lines and possibly 'crushing' crowds of people (crushing being a totally relative term). My son has reported feeling 'squeezed' if desks are too close together in a classroom.

We talked tonight about one of the reasons my son really loves the characters at WDW. Their expressions never change...there is no chance of misinterpreting them!

liamfan said:
Thank you, Barb!

You're welcome!

We've sort of subconsciously adjusted what we do accordingly, without realizing what we're doing (if that makes sense). E.g., leaving early before fireworks begin; staying inside if it looks like there could be a thunderstorm; making sure to avoid rides with surprise explosions, etc. But when I start to really think about it, I realize that there is a lot we're missing because of trying to avoid lines and possibly 'crushing' crowds of people (crushing being a totally relative term). My son has reported feeling 'squeezed' if desks are too close together in a classroom.

One thing that has worked wonders for us is to have him use ear plugs and to let him have control of them. He wears them in some rides, if he's afraid there might be unexpected loud noises and he always wears them during fireworks/illuminations.

We talked tonight about one of the reasons my son really loves the characters at WDW. Their expressions never change...there is no chance of misinterpreting them!

That makes perfect sense!

Talking Hands said:
Because of HIPPA they cannot ask for a doctor's note.
Some people have reported that CMs have told them that, but HIPPA has to do with health care facilities and other people (Health Care Workers not disclosing information about you unless there is a medical need and you have given permission or the information is given because of continuation of care that you have already agreed to. You can disclose information to anyone you choose to - so if you want to stand in the Pharmacy and scream out your name and what your prescription is for, you have a perfect right. But, the Pharmacist is only able to communicate about it to certain people/agencies (your doctor, the insurance that is paying for it, you).
In the case of WDW, it's the ADA that says they can't force you to prove your disability. If you choose to show them something, they can look at it, but often don't because in most cases it,s not terribly helpful because it talks about daignosis, not needs.

Another thing to keep in mind is that even if the GAC says "a quieter place", a particular attraction may not have that. One of the best ways to avoid long lines (even during busy times) is to get to the park when it first opens. You ca go on most of the rides with very short waits.

My husband has a colostomy and I was wondering if we should get a GAC. I am worried that when we are in line and he has to empty his bag. If we have the GAC would he be able to leave the line (we would still be in line) and then rejoin us when he returns?

bigmac5 said:
My husband has a colostomy and I was wondering if we should get a GAC. I am worried that when we are in line and he has to empty his bag. If we have the GAC would he be able to leave the line (we would still be in line) and then rejoin us when he returns?

He really shouldn't need one. One of my best friends has an ileostomy, and has to empty her bag regularly. She does so immediately after each meal, and then again as needed, but can time her meals and entrances into longer queues with no problem.

There was recently a long thread about this on this board, you might want to find and read it. Lots of helpful info.

Anne

As ducklite said, he should probably be on a schedule so that he will be able to predict and plan to some extent.
You don't have to get a GAC the first day of the trip. If he's been there a few days, he can always go to Guest Services and say, "I've been having a problem with .............."

David.g said:
my question is I have seen on various message boards people saying that you can use the GAP to go down the fast pass line on some rides is this true??
The GAP is not supposed to give you privileges associated with fast passes when you don't have fast passes but,

1. Occasionally a CM goofs and lets you on a ride sooner than the GAP is supposed to provide (once in awhile the CM goofs the other way and sends you on a wild goose chase or makes your wait even longer than that in the standby line).

2. Sometimes the only path for a wheelchair user to get to a ride is the fast pass line.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter