• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fantasmic Wheelchair Seeting

Disney Bumfords

Mouseketeer
Where is the waiting line for wheelchair seating for Fantasmic? Do you need to arrive as early as everyone else does?

Also - where is the seating and how hard is it to get out afterwards.

Thanks for your help!!

When I went I sat smack in the middle on the top. From what I saw, the handicapped seating was the row behind the very top row all the way around. Does that make sense?

For goodness sakes, YES, get there early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I arrived 1.5 hours before the show and I was SOOO glad I did.

Disney Bumfords said:
Where is the waiting line for wheelchair seating for Fantasmic?

If you are participating in the Fantasmic Dinner package, you show your slip of paper to a WDW Castmember at the large, wooden gates located to the left of the gas station where the stroller, wheelchair, and scooter rental building is near the entrance to MGM.

Then you follow the path behind the buildings until you reach someother WDW Castmembers and they point you to the path up a hill to the top of the Fantasmic Theater. They will direct you into a space at the top behind the top metal bleacher seats, filling them up from about the right-center to the far right side of the Fantasmic Theater. There are about two rows of bleachers for any guests to sit in front of you.

The rest of the Fantasmic package walkers fill up the metal bleachers all the way down to the first row.

If you don't reserve a dinner at a restaurant for the Fantasmic Theater like the majority of people then you will enter the large walkway entrance between the Tower of Terror entrance and bathrooms on your left and the other theater on your right where the Beauty and the Beast show is located.

I usually stay against the wall on the right side of the wide entrance path. Most strollers and scooters and wheelchairs hug the wall on the right side all the way to the top of the Fantasmic Theater where the WDW Castmembers direct that all of the strollers be parked and left outside of the theater. If you can get out of your wheelchair, you can leave your wheelchair parked there also and walk in with the rest of the walkers and sit down as low as you can as they direct you to your seating.

WDW Castmembers like to fill up each section starting near the right of center, where the Fantasmic package people sit, all the way over to the far left side of the theater. After all of the seats are filled, they have standing room only in special areas all the way in the back and they don't allow anyone to stand behind the wheelchairs or the path behind them. The standing room only area is a slightly tiered area in the special back section.

If you are going to stay in your wheelchair, or scooter, then at the top of the theater, just past the last parked stroller, and on the right side...a WDW Castmember will direct two to six wheelchairs with guests in a row to line up side by side behind the very top metal bleacher, starting from the right, center, all of the way to the left side of the Fantasmic theater. Guests also have about two rows of bleachers to sit in front of you.

If you get there early whether you are a walker or a wheelchair, they will start sitting you in the center of the theater going all the way to the left.

Disney Bumfords said:
Do you need to arrive as early as everyone else does?

Oh, yes. If you want to be near the center, but all of the spaces are good views to see the Fantasmic show. I would just be concerned if the park was full of people and everyone was going to watch the show at the same time.

Otherwise, I try to get there about forty five minutes before the show starts.

Disney Bumfords said:
Also - where is the seating and how hard is it to get out afterwards.

The wheelchair seating is located at the top where everyone enters the theater. The metal bleacher seats go down toward the water to the front row. The wheelchair area is located from the right to the left side of the theater. But they direct you where to roll your wheelchair to try use the space economically. So that everyone can have a place to roll into.

I have seen wheelchairs in the standing room only area and that would be a hard place to see everything as people walked in front of your going to the rest rooms or getting food and souvenirs.

Can you tell that I had to much coffee last night at work...lol.

There is also some wheelchair seating in the front on the left handside. There is a ramp down on the far left.

As was mentioned, there are a few seats in the front row, but you may (very likely will) get wet if you sit there. The "movies" during the show are projected onto a screen made of water mist. If the wind is blowing toward the stage, you don't get very wet. But, if it is blowing toward the audience, you will have a light mist/rain effect on you during a large portion of the show.

The main seating for people with wheelchairs/ecvs/special needs is across the back row of seating in the amphitheater. There is space in the 2 rows right ahead of the back row for the rest of your party.
It's best to arrive 1.5 hours ahead. That sounds much worse than it is. They actually start letting people into the amphitheater about 1.5 hours ahead of the show start time. So, most of your waiting time will actually be while sitting in your seats. There are bathrooms (including a companion restroom), a snack bar and CMs walking around selling popcorn. There is music playing and the wait in general doesn't really seem anywhere near as long as it is.
If there are a lot of people with special needs attending that night, you will be glad you got there early. The latest we ever arrived was 15 minutes before "showtime" and we ended up with vey good seats, so there must not have been many people with special needs that night.

Hi, I have a few questions. First, my Mother is in a wheelchair, and we're going to be a party of 5 (Daddy and 3 grown daughters). Can we sit together? Also, if we are on the Fantasmic package, is there set aside area for handicap seating? And do we get to enter the area prior to the regular doors opening up?

Thanks so much - we're going for Super Soaps Weekend in November. We understand it will be very crowded at MGM, and are having a hard time finding much info about what accomodations we can get for our Mom.

KC :sunny:

KCMiller said:
Hi, I have a few questions. First, my Mother is in a wheelchair, and we're going to be a party of 5 (Daddy and 3 grown daughters). Can we sit together? Also, if we are on the Fantasmic package, is there set aside area for handicap seating? And do we get to enter the area prior to the regular doors opening up?

Thanks so much - we're going for Super Soaps Weekend in November. We understand it will be very crowded at MGM, and are having a hard time finding much info about what accomodations we can get for our Mom.

YES you will all be able to set together. With the package, like the others said, you will be on the right side. Just go to the doors near the front gate at the time they tell you and you will be directed back.
You might want to call and get the package as soon as you can.

KCMiller said:

What sorts of accomidations are you needing info about?

You should mention that one of your party will have a wheelchair when you make your arrangements for the Fantasmic Dinner Package. There is quite a bit of wheelchair seating, but you want to make sure they know you will need it.
The back 2 rows of benches in the whole theater are reserved for special needs parties. There is a row of parking area directly behind the back row for people traveling in wheelchairs or ecvs to park. The rest of their party sits in the 2 rows right in front of those parking spots. The far right section of seating is reserved for the dinner package guests. It's set up the same as the other sections though.

Thanks very much - that's just what we needed to know!

Have a great day, and wish me luck calling tomorrow morning!

I'm reading through and I still have questions. What if the child in the w/c can not be left alone? Is there seating with a w/c? There will be 5 of us. I assume maybe I can sit with him and the rest find a seat? Thanks for your help.

Donnask8pro said:
I'm reading through and I still have questions. What if the child in the w/c can not be left alone? Is there seating with a w/c? There will be 5 of us. I assume maybe I can sit with him and the rest find a seat? Thanks for your help.
They have mostly empty space in the back row for wheelchairs to park, but intersperced with the empty spaces, there are some seats too. So someone who needs a member of their party to sit next to them won't have a problem. Just let the CM know when they are showing you to your seats that someone needs to sit next to your child. The rest of your party can sit in the row right in front of the wheelchair.

SueM in MN said:
They have mostly empty space in the back row for wheelchairs to park, but intersperced with the empty spaces, there are some seats too. So someone who needs a member of their party to sit next to them won't have a problem.

When we went to Fantasmic in April the handicapped seating had changed a bit from our previous trips. The very back row was only seating for wheelchairs, ECVs, etc. Family & friends were seated in front of those of us in wheelchairs & ECVs. There were no seats to the left & right of the wheelchairs & ECVs. My thought at the time was the change was done to accomodate more wheelchairs & ECVs.

Has anyone seen the seating area since April?

JudithM said:
When we went to Fantasmic in April the handicapped seating had changed a bit from our previous trips. The very back row was only seating for wheelchairs, ECVs, etc. Family & friends were seated in front of those of us in wheelchairs & ECVs. There were no seats to the left & right of the wheelchairs & ECVs. My thought at the time was the change was done to accomodate more wheelchairs & ECVs.

We had no issues sitting next to the special needs stroller in the top row and we needed 4 seats. I think we wound up sitting one on each side of the stroller and two in front of the stroller to ensure that the shrimp in the stroller could see ;)

JudithM said:

We were there in late March. There were not that many seats, but they did still have some seats because there are some people who have to have someone sitting next to them.
An alternative for a child would be to lift him/her out of the wheelchair and have the child either sit on the bench or be held on the bench by the aduls. We've done that in the past, but DD is too big to do that now.

SueM in MN said:
We were there in late March. There were not that many seats, but they did still have some seats because there are some people who have to have someone sitting next to them.
An alternative for a child would be to lift him/her out of the wheelchair and have the child either sit on the bench or be held on the bench by the aduls. We've done that in the past, but DD is too big to do that now.

The benches dont have backs to them though- big factor for people with back problems or limited balance.

JudithM said:

That is a problem. Companion seating next to the wheelchair is required by ADA:
see section 4.33.3

http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/html/adaag.htm

"4.33.3*Placement of Wheelchair Locations. Wheelchair areas shall be an integral part of any fixed seating plan and shall be provided so as to provide people with physical disabilities a choice of admission prices and lines of sight comparable to those for members of the general public. They shall adjoin an accessible route that also serves as a means of egress in case of emergency.
>>>>>At least one companion fixed seat shall be provided next to each wheelchair seating area.<<<<<
When the seating capacity exceeds 300, wheelchair spaces shall be provided in more than one location. Readily removable seats may be installed in wheelchair spaces when the spaces are not required to accommodate wheelchair users"

I travel to WDW with my daughter and it really wouldn't be right to have the 2 of us be forced to sit in different rows. It's also not right to force the wheelchair users to all sit alone. I understand having to split up your party into one next to you and the rest in front of you but this situation is not right.

Forevryoung said:
The benches dont have backs to them though- big factor for people with back problems or limited balance.
That is true. My DD doesn't have good balance for sitting on those kinds of benches, but she can do it with sitting close to DH and I and with an arm around her.
Also, I don't know if I can explain this, but you can pull the wheelchair up so that the footrests touch the back of the bench. Then have the other people sit on the bench with the wheelchair between them. That way, you are close enough to your child that they can see and touch you. If you sit a little bit sideways, leaning in toward the wheelchair, you can be quite close and still see the person in the wheelchair.

BillSears said:
I travel to WDW with my daughter and it really wouldn't be right to have the 2 of us be forced to sit in different rows. It's also not right to force the wheelchair users to all sit alone. I understand having to split up your party into one next to you and the rest in front of you but this situation is not right.

As I said, I was there in June and there were plenty of seats next to the wheelchair spaces for us to sit. I think this was about needing a bunch (4 or 5) seats in addition to the wheelchair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter