family old disney pics found

disneyworldsk

DIS Veteran
My FIL passed in September and my DH is going through his things. He took out of storage his 35 mm slides of over fifty years worth. Many of them are disney world and land vacations which we are going to have put on digital format. Sneaking a peek at some of them, many are from 1970's/1980's magic kingdom and epcot. Many are of relics from the past , the old original gondolas (!), characters I am not familiar with walking around, scenic areas and many of the castle and main st. I can't wait to see all of them from all the slides. It's like opening a lost treasure chest as a disney fan!

My FIL passed in September and my DH is going through his things. He took out of storage his 35 mm slides of over fifty years worth. Many of them are disney world and land vacations which we are going to have put on digital format. Sneaking a peek at some of them, many are from 1970's/1980's magic kingdom and epcot. Many are of relics from the past , the old original gondolas (!), characters I am not familiar with walking around, scenic areas and many of the castle and main st. I can't wait to see all of them from all the slides. It's like opening a lost treasure chest as a disney fan!

That really will be a treasure trove, and I'm sure nice for your DH to be able to look back on family memories like that! I'm kind of in a similar situation...my dad passed away this past summer, and he was a lifelong amateur photographer - also 35mm slides! For my grandmother's 90 birthday about 20 years ago, we went through them to make an album for her - we went through and numbered and organized every single one of them, then he scanned the ones he wanted to use for the album. I have all the scanned ones, but all of the rest we never quite got around to digitizing! Among them are the slides from our family's only week-long, airplane trip we ever took, to WDW in 1978. I really want to see these pictures! My sister took on the task of digitizing them - I am patiently waiting, lol!

I hope you are able to post some here!

Okay my wknd project was counting every slide (which included annual disney trips to ca and fl) from the early 1950's thru 1990's on slides . After the 1990's my FIL used computer to load his pics. He was an amateur photographer. And the number of slides were.....over 6,000!!!! Please ask your sister Floating Bear how she will be digitilizing them. Should I do it at home manually or way too expensive for a company to do?! I am overwhelmed by the amount. I am also conflicted because looking them over many, many of them are of scenery/background (plants, scenery, buildings, architecture) from every trip they ever took. any advice would be appreciated, thanks

I'm sorry about your FIL's passing. What a blessing to find those wonderful memories. I'm sure a lot of people on this board would love to see some of them.

Okay my wknd project was counting every slide (which included annual disney trips to ca and fl) from the early 1950's thru 1990's on slides . After the 1990's my FIL used computer to load his pics. He was an amateur photographer. And the number of slides were.....over 6,000!!!! Please ask your sister Floating Bear how she will be digitilizing them. Should I do it at home manually or way too expensive for a company to do?! I am overwhelmed by the amount. I am also conflicted because looking them over many, many of them are of scenery/background (plants, scenery, buildings, architecture) from every trip they ever took. any advice would be appreciated, thanks
I don't know much about the process of digitizing slides, but my grandfather used to take slides too and a few years back, my aunt bought a slide converter because she wanted to organize all the slides and pictures for my grandma's 80th birthday. I've never used it and I don't know how it works, but she made a lovely slide show for the party (on her computer, ironically), investing in one of those would probably be cheaper than paying a company to do it.

yes, thank you. researching now online for a flat scanner converter. will take months i guess and i'm not so techy....long project ahead but looking forward to seeing disney in the early 70's!!

OP, you might consider purchasing something like this. I found this one on Amazon for $49. Well worth the money if you have a lot of slides to convert. What an amazing scrapbook project this could be!

61xWOsvtRrL._SL1500_.jpg

yes, spent some time today looking these up on amazon. converters. not crazy expensive, will take lots of time, can put it on the computer from sd card, portable. but will take so much time! and to be honest , i'm wondering why it's on me when it's my dh 's family and he has four other siblings!!! how did i get this project in my lap exactly?!!!

yes, spent some time today looking these up on amazon. converters. not crazy expensive, will take lots of time, can put it on the computer from sd card, portable. but will take so much time! and to be honest , i'm wondering why it's on me when it's my dh 's family and he has four other siblings!!! how did i get this project in my lap exactly?!!!

While I haven’t posted here until today, I did subscribe to this thread the moment I saw your post last week. As of today, five people have responded to your OP, but I’d be willing to bet there are a whole bunch more (like me!) watching with an eager anticipation. I, for one, am hoping very much that you find the time and energy to see it through.

To be fair, this does sound like a time-consuming project you’re facing. But I do think it has the potential to offer a huge return. What a gift it would be to your DH and his four siblings! Not to mention the countless people here that I’m sure would enjoy any photos you choose to share! You can do it! We’re counting on you!

(no pressure...:))

update! I am knee-deep in slides now. the project is going very well and I did purchase a slide scanner to manually put in slides and record onto a memory card into the computer into folders. I am getting the hang of the project and now it's smooth and efficient. Lots of disney slides from every year so far since 1973 I think i've gone back that far in the disney pics. Both land and world trips. Most of the slides he took, my fil, were of : epcot world pavilion architecture, the entire line up for the electrical parade, a few day parades with characters, some main st. ones with empty streets(!), the sky lift ride (is that its name?), i see one shot far away of the mickey musical revue show, country bear show, not many of family members in the shots though. some. there were some jungle cruise/skipper pics and I sent them to my neice who is a jc skipper, she liked the old costumes! so mostly every year once or twice a trip to disney in ca or fl (mostly fl) since so far 1973 thru late 80's. funny, in my opinion? , not much has changed! just a bit updated really. and less greenery/open space.
as for the other slides, they are other trips and family. so far i am involved in 1970's thru the 90's but they go back into the 50's which i haven't organized yet. some trips seem boring to me, the family pics i love to view, some things revolt me (i am against animal shows of any kind - sorry pete!) so there are many orca seaworld shows, dolphin shows, circus animal acts and one or two worse. but i am sliding them thru ....
thanks for listening!

Between the frequency of the trips, the fact they encompass both east and west coasts, the era of the trips and what sounds like detailed and varied subject matter your FIL chose, you really have a treasure trove on your hands that a lot of Disney parks fans would be jealous of. Add in all of the other destinations, family occasions, etc. and this is an irreplaceable heirloom for the whole family. Be sure to think about the possibility of creating special books or something to pass onto your own children so the legacy (and all your hard work to preserve it) continues.

i love this special books idea. like on shutterfly, the hardbooks, i can choose the highlights. a huge highlight last night was i found my husband playing with legos at a super young age (fiveish). He is an adult lego builder and was very excited to see these photos he framed them immediately last night (about three of them) and put them in his hobby area where he builds his legos. too cute.
re. disney, i now found bicentennial parade pics. early 70's. and one picture of the outside pavilion i guess from the 1964 worlds fair in nyc of disney (sleeping beauty's castle and characters). wish there were more worlds fair ones from that pavilion. i have one which is good.

ok i am done! over 6000 slides converted to digital. i did not change or enhance them, just scanned each one. 1953 to 1996. I did a good job, they're all organized on a timeline and in computer albums and labeled. even names are labeled. i enjoyed some pics and some i did not. I guess i was disappointed with the feedback. dh appreciated them but he invited his siblings over this wknd to show them and they said no they had dinner reservations that day. MIL is in from west coast, never saw the slides, said no as she is going with them to dinner too. i invited them all day, brunch, lunch, anytime, the answer was no and not even a thank you for the project as they had no idea i was working on it by myself. so that was a bust. i guess they're not interested. but it was for dh and i wanted to c the disney pics so i achieved my goal without hiring anyone. so goal accomplished!

ok i am done! over 6000 slides converted to digital. i did not change or enhance them, just scanned each one. 1953 to 1996. I did a good job, they're all organized on a timeline and in computer albums and labeled. even names are labeled. i enjoyed some pics and some i did not. I guess i was disappointed with the feedback. dh appreciated them but he invited his siblings over this wknd to show them and they said no they had dinner reservations that day. MIL is in from west coast, never saw the slides, said no as she is going with them to dinner too. i invited them all day, brunch, lunch, anytime, the answer was no and not even a thank you for the project as they had no idea i was working on it by myself. so that was a bust. i guess they're not interested. but it was for dh and i wanted to c the disney pics so i achieved my goal without hiring anyone. so goal accomplished!
As a person who also scanned/converted thousands of slides to digital, I can appreciate what you did & it breaks my heart to hear of the family's lack of enthusiasm. What a treasure you have!!! What a shame others don't appreciate that. But, you savor & enjoy each one & just ignore the poor treatment you've had. You deserve a big celebratory cake for what you did! :) Can't wait to see what you'd like to share with us!

I was just going to post pics that I have from my first wdw in 82, not very many and of poor quality really. But it would be fun to create a thread where anyone could post their 'vintage' wdw pics. I would love to see other peoples pics from long ago.

I would love to see other peoples pics from long ago.

There is a post on the dis that is my absolute favorite. It is called something like things you no longer see in Disney pr something like that and its fabulous.

I only see the thread pop up once or twice a year but it is priceless. Its my favorite on the dis.

Wow! My father also has slides, but he didn't take all that many pictures. I know that somewhere in their house there are slides from our first Disney World trip in January, 1972. I'll need to go look when I'm there for Easter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter