Family of 5 - AoA Suite vs GF

ShadowRegent

Earning My Ears
We're a family of 5 with young children (<2, 5, and 6) and are torn between a suite at Art of Animation and a standard room at the Grand Floridian. The price difference is around $100 per night to stay at the Grand Floridian which seems worth it to upgrade from a value resort to deluxe, but there's obviously less room. Has anyone done 5 in a standard room at the Grand Floridian?

I'd do the suite no exception.
AoA is a value but doesn't feel like one. We like the food court and pool, but you'll also have your own space at AoA.

We're a family of 5 with young children (<2, 5, and 6) and are torn between a suite at Art of Animation and a standard room at the Grand Floridian. The price difference is around $100 per night to stay at the Grand Floridian which seems worth it to upgrade from a value resort to deluxe, but there's obviously less room. Has anyone done 5 in a standard room at the Grand Floridian?
With children that young, I would want to be close to the MK. I would choose the GF.

GF no question. The standard rooms at GF are quite spacious and the resort is gorgeous. Tons of great restaurants, monorail to MK and a zero entry pool and splash pad for the kids. We've stayed at both and AoA was the loudest resort I've ever encountered and the food court was absolute chaos. If you would like extra space, you might even want to consider a 1-bedroom villa at any of the deluxes. With a 1-bedroom villa, you would also get a full kitchen and washer/dryer.

GF no question. The standard rooms at GF are quite spacious and the resort is gorgeous. Tons of great restaurants, monorail to MK and a zero entry pool and splash pad for the kids. We've stayed at both and AoA was the loudest resort I've ever encountered and the food court was absolute chaos. If you would like extra space, you might even want to consider a 1-bedroom villa at any of the deluxes. With a 1-bedroom villa, you would also get a full kitchen and washer/dryer.

A 1 bedroom villa at a monorail resort is a bit out of our price range, unfortunately!

I have stayed at both and I like both. AoA is over the top Disney with character theming literally everywhere. I didn't find it to be overly loud or crowded (I stayed there in late June after school let out). We loved walking through the different areas of the resort and seeing all the character statues around, particularly in the Cars section. They make for great photo opps. The GF has AoA beat hands down in dining. AoA has no table service restaurants and the GF has several, plus on site character dining and easy access to dining at the other monorail resorts. The GF beds also beat the AoA beds in comfort level. Your kids are still young so I think you could easily manage 5 in a standard room. They are both great resorts and I recommend trying both at some point. If you don't plan to do dining at the GF and will do all your meals in the parks then it loses some of the value add IMO. Being on the monorail feels like such a godsend when you don't have to collapse a stroller to get on a bus. I think it's all about what you want for this particular trip. Will you miss being served by a waiter at the pool? Will you be frustrated with firm beds on the squeaky side? If you will use all the amenities at the GF, then stay there. If not, go and enjoy the incredible whimsy at AoA!

I've never done GF, but our family loved AoA (family of 5, ages 5, 13 and 15). The buses exceeded our expectations and they will soon have the gondolas. Food court was great, theming was great. The pool was very popular but, IMHO, was a drawback. We couldn't find an open deck chair and it doesn't have a slide. What we loved most of all was the separate bedroom and second bathroom. Your kids are a little younger so maybe not as big of a deal, but we have now discovered those are necessities.

When I had children that were napping age, it was miserable all sharing one room. Now that mine are past that stage (my youngest is 6) it's not so bad. With one under 2, I would choose AoA for the separate bedroom. Sitting in silence, unable to turn the T.V. on while your kid naps is not fun!

A 1 bedroom villa at a monorail resort is a bit out of our price range, unfortunately!

Consider pricing out a 1-bedroom at Copper Creek and/or Boulder Ridge (both located at WL). Not on the monorail, but only a boat ride to MK. Both gorgeous, deluxe resorts. With a discount, it may come close to a standard at GF.

We are also a family of 5 and find that having the separate bedroom and 2 bathrooms really makes for a more comfortable trip. We just stayed at AOA in November and enjoyed it; it's definitely great for young families.

However, if I had the chance to stay at GF, it was within my budget, and my kids were still young like yours, I would do it. It's beautiful and the location can't be beat. Staying there is on my bucket list for sure!

Are they good sleepers? Could you & your DH sit on the balcony while they are sleeping? Yes to any of these I would go GF. For the ease to MK. How many nights? Could you use the extra savings for something to make the trip extra fun, Park hoppers, Dessert party? then I would go AoA.

Kae

Are they good sleepers? Could you & your DH sit on the balcony while they are sleeping? Yes to any of these I would go GF. For the ease to MK. How many nights? Could you use the extra savings for something to make the trip extra fun, Park hoppers, Dessert party? then I would go AoA.

Kae

They are fairly good sleepers and we will be there for 7 nights. The difference in price matters, but I don't think it will make a big difference in what we're able to do on the trip. We'll also be celebrating our anniversary which had us leaning towards GF a little bit. Our biggest worry is that it could be a long week if space is tight.

They are fairly good sleepers and we will be there for 7 nights. The difference in price matters, but I don't think it will make a big difference in what we're able to do on the trip. We'll also be celebrating our anniversary which had us leaning towards GF a little bit. Our biggest worry is that it could be a long week if space is tight.

I think your kids would love Aoa as much as GF and you would love the extra space. Food Courts at Values have way more choices than food courts at the Deluxes plus you would have a microwave for quick Breakfasts. Tim the Tracker did a good review of all the family Suites at AoA. That $700 could be put towards your next trip. :flower3:

Never having been to either, I would choose GF for you. Your children are still so young, so you would fit in a large room at a deluxe no problem. When they are older is when space would start to get too tight. $700 more for a week does not seem bad when talking about the GF. Save AoA suites for when they are bigger and you really need the space. I say splurge on GF, especially since celebrating an anniversary!

I would choose GF but your kids would love AoA. It's such a great place for kids.

We're a family of 5 and have stayed at AOA, Poly(CL), CR, and YC(CL). Also POR. It's unanimous that we prefer one room at a deluxe. The amount of room was nice at AOA but we stayed there when my kids were younger and the food court was a hassle for us. We couldn't take advantage of the variety because we had to stay with the kids. That meant no one really got what the wanted to eat. The bays are much better when the people are old enough to go and order what they like. Our kids MUCH prefer TS, and so did we as a result. They think CL is the bomb, too.
You know your family and what will work. Ours will sacrifice a separate bedroom for the resort amenities, unless we do a split stay. CR is our favorite and I can almost guarantee that GF would rank up there, as well.
Everyone is different and you know your family. Would you rather have a server when eating at the resort? Do you want kid-centric water areas? What parks will you frequent the most? Will your little kids sleep apart from you in a strange environment?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter