Fake screaming?

I'm crotchety and my kids are very susceptible to the whole "everyone screaming" thing. I think, if I were in a situation with fake screaming, I'd say something, LOUDLY about how I have PTSD and screaming just triggers me off... as well as "please stop - you're unnesissarily(sp, sorry) scaring my kids" because I'm a total mama-bear when it comes to people upsetting my ADHD/High Anxiety kid.

I've been purposely putting myself and the family into large crowd situations this summer so we're accustomed to it when we go in October.

Oh yes, I've been stuck on a few rides with the screaming teenage girls. It's always girls.
TOT, Haunted Mansion, Indy, Pirates on the waterfall. It's awful for sure.
You'd be surprised at how loud and shrill a group of teenage boys can scream!! It's especially lovely in the preshow room on ToT. Not always girls....

You'd be surprised at how loud and shrill a group of teenage boys can scream!! It's especially lovely in the preshow room on ToT. Not always girls....
Yeah, one time in that room there was a lone screamer that happened to be a teenage boy. Several people, including some in his own group, immediately told him to shut up. He did. It was pretty funny.

Yes, I had this happen last at WDW on Space Mountain. The two pre-teen girls talked about doing it while in line behind my son and I. I politely pulled the mom card and asked them not to. They went full bore. I had a raging migraine by the end of it. They even told their mom that they did it as they met her outside and all had a good laugh. My husband almost went ballistic when he heard the mom say "I hope her eardrums are bleeding".

Unfortunately cast members can't do much. They were nice enough to get me a quiet area to sit in where there wasn't much traffic and hang out while I waited on the pain meds to kick in. I don't really know what they could have done anyway that would have done any good for me or in many other people's situations.

Yes, what we experienced would have been severely traumatizing for anyone with PTSD. It honestly felt like they thought it was funny to ruin the experience for everyone. Once that door closed it was non- stop beyond top of the lungs screaming insanity for the entire ride.

It's really too bad kids today think this is funny. They possessed super human screaming powers.

I suppose all anyone can do is let guest relations know and if there are enough complaints they'll find a way to monitor rides better. That or carry a bag of gravel to throw back at them as self defense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I had this happen last at WDW on Space Mountain. The two pre-teen girls talked about doing it while in line behind my son and I. I politely pulled the mom card and asked them not to. They went full bore. I had a raging migraine by the end of it. They even told their mom that they did it as they met her outside and all had a good laugh. My husband almost went ballistic when he heard the mom say "I hope her eardrums are bleeding".

Unfortunately, some of these awful kids are taught by their awful parents. Completely disrespectful and rude. It is so sad that parents encourage this type of behavior.

I've always heard fake screamers on various rides but I'll take that over people talking throughout the entire ride like Pirates, Jungle Cruise and others.

Alright, so I probably shouldn't share this...but... We were there back in June and some girls next to our HM dune buggy started screaming non-stop. It was freaking out my 4yo. Well, it just so happened that my F-I-L had bought one of those Disney fan sprays (worth every penny on a hot day) and I had it in my hands for the ride. When we turned sideways, I sorta sprayed at them a few times. The screaming continued but it changed. They were completely befuddled at where the mist was coming from, like it was part of the ride or something. It was a mean and bad thing to do, I know, but they did stop screaming as much and it made me get a good chuckle.

Alright, so I probably shouldn't share this...but... We were there back in June and some girls next to our HM dune buggy started screaming non-stop. It was freaking out my 4yo. Well, it just so happened that my F-I-L had bought one of those Disney fan sprays (worth every penny on a hot day) and I had it in my hands for the ride. When we turned sideways, I sorta sprayed at them a few times. The screaming continued but it changed. They were completely befuddled at where the mist was coming from, like it was part of the ride or something. It was a mean and bad thing to do, I know, but they did stop screaming as much and it made me get a good chuckle.
Don't get me started on those #$%# spray bottles! Some chick (nicest word I can think of right now) walked past me on my scooter and sprayed me straight in the face with one of those things. On purpose! Then walked off laughing about it! I did not enjoy that, nor did I find any humor it in whatsoever.

They can remove the screamers from the park.
They won't. You can't legislate kindness and empathy. The willingness to behave (in the parks or elsewhere) in ways that not ruin the joy of others for the sake on one's own amusement is not something that comes naturally but has to be taught. The 5-year-old screamer about which one of the previous posters (who seemed to have no problems with it and no inclination of teaching her daughter otherwise) could turn into yet another self-centered, uncontrollingly screaming teenager, unless she is taught otherwise. Empathy underlies the ability to understand and respect the needs of others, wisely balancing them with one's own. Maybe this child would understand, if she'd be asked how she would feel if somebody were to be screaming into her ears. Would she like that? If not, can she figure out how to be more kind and respectful to other guests instead of just getting lost in her own screaming. If she can't, then maybe she is a bit too young for that ride and could wait until she's older and has learned a little more self-control?

That's one thing that doesn't happen at WDW. Finally, something bad to point out about the 'locals park'. The teens get bored riding the attractions over and over, and start creating fun for themselves, and is incredibly annoying for the rest of us.

Yep. Grew up in Pittsburgh and I remember doing this at Kennywood with my friends. We'd ridden the coasters hundreds of times and did things to make them more interesting. At least I never car hopped, lots of teenagers did that on the coasters when I was a teen. Teenagers are dumb.

Yep. Grew up in Pittsburgh and I remember doing this at Kennywood with my friends. We'd ridden the coasters hundreds of times and did things to make them more interesting. At least I never car hopped, lots of teenagers did that on the coasters when I was a teen. Teenagers are dumb.
We had season passes to Hershey Park and went (almost) every day. This kind of behavior never even crossed my mind. But, then, I was raised to be respectful of others and would never been allowed to go back to the park had I behaved so poorly.

We had season passes to Hershey Park and went (almost) every day. This kind of behavior never even crossed my mind. But, then, I was raised to be respectful of others and would never been allowed to go back to the park had I behaved so poorly.

OK : )

I don't get it personally..the issue I mean. Theme parks are full of people with different reactions and personalities. I do recognize some people have issues with sensory situations , heck I have social anxiety and dislike kids but I love Disneyland. With that said , I do fake scream often in the HM room. It's part of having fun but I don't do it overly so , just how others are having fun.

I also scream loud of ToT , BTMRR , Splash and Screamin. Those are real for me because all my life I hated fast rides so for me . the ability to scream helps my fear.
I'm courteous to others and would never do it to antagonize anyone but I'm also not going to stop and think if every action may offend or bother someone , it's just too much.

The high shrieking girlie scream is not tolerated in our home.
When my DGD began that around the age of 5, we sat down and had a little chat.
I explained a scream like that wasn't to be done unless there was a real reason for it.

She let out a couple more antagonizing scream for no reason. We sat down for another chat...
Blah.... Blah... Blah..... I'm sure it was in one ear and out the other until......
I told her if she did it one more time, I'd call her dad and she'd be going home.

Those type of screams have been nicknamed "Go Home Screams".

Geemo

What's "gross" about screaming or not screaming on a scary attraction?

Well if you actually read my post you would see that I said it was gross that we noticed that no one was doing the fake screams in the stretching room. It is gross because it means that people have fake screamed every other time we have been on HM, which is too many times to count. My children shouldn't notice something like that. HM isn't scary to most adults. There's no need to scream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter