Everything Virtual Queue - Please Read Posts 1 and 2

My friend is going to a conference this week at one of the Disney Springs hotels. She and some colleagues got one of the 4:00 pm to close tickets for Epcot one day. Will they be able to try to get a virtual queue through the 7:00 am drop? For either of the free virtual queue or by paid ILL? I’m an AP holder and have never looked into this. I reviewed a lot of Disboards information and didn’t see this issue addressed.
Thanks for any help.
As long as they have a park reservation for Epcot on that day they will be eligible to try for a VQ at 7AM. The part I don't know about is, do they qualify yto book a park reservation with this type of ticket? (This is a new scenario that has not been reported on this thread.

Confirmed conference tickets require park reservations too.

@Sandi, If your friends try for a VQ at 7AM, can you please report back their experience?)

BUT, If they are not successful getting a VQ at 7AM (or ticket does not require/allow them to book a park reservation), they will not be eligible to try again until they have tapped into the park at 4PM or later and quite likely by then the VQ will be full for the day.
That is a good question. Calling Disney is always the best answer.
I would think that they would be able to purchase a ILL because they have valid ticket media and presumably made a park reservation.

VQ is tricky, because you can't pick a return time. I would assume that they 'could' get in the VQ, but most likely, their time slot will be called prior to 4:00 and they wont be able to ride it while taking those spots away from others.
Return times are not enforced (to date) for GotG. Once a VQ BG is called, a guest can return anytime from then until close. This is the same for ILL$. (This is not the case for normal LL return times secured via G+ for any ride other than GotG.)

Last edited:
As long as they have a park reservation for Epcot on that day they will be eligible to try for a VQ at 7AM. The part I don't know about is, do they qualify to book a park reservation with this type of ticket? (This is a new scenario that has not been reported on this thread. @Sandi, If your friends try for a VQ at 7AM, can you please report back their experience?)

BUT, If they are not successful getting a VQ at 7AM (or ticket does not require/allow them to book a park reservation), they will not be eligible to try again until they have tapped into the park at 4PM or later and quite likely by then the VQ will be full for the day.

Return times are not enforced (to date) for GotG. Once a VQ BG is called, a guest can return anytime from then until close. This is the same for ILL$. (This is not the case for normal LL return times secured via G+ for any ride other than GotG.)
Wouldn't they HAVE to book a park reservation? How else do they get in?

Wouldn't they HAVE to book a park reservation? How else do they get in?
I think I remember reading some scenarios where conference tickets that are for a specific day, specific time and specific park do not require park reservations (as they're already kinda accounted for) BUT it's only through things I've read here and didn't take specific notes so, nothing concrete.

Have investigated and found our park reservations are needed for conference tickets too. Will update my posts.

Last edited:

She definitely has a park reservation for November 4. She showed me her app and I tried showing her how to get to the boarding group selections. I saw that she is “good to go” on November 4. What’s going to trip her up is the whole getting on at 6:59:58 and clicking straight away. It sounds ludicrous to people who don’t know.

I will definitely report back if she gives it a go! Thanks

Is it still slightly "easier" to get the 1pm VQ? We will be in the air during the 7am VQ on our first day, which is also our first Epcot day. If we set alarms and have multiple phones going in the park and take the 1pm VQ seriously, are we likely to get it? We do have a second Epcot day where we will be available at 7am (and 1pm) but we'd like to ride it both days if possible.

Thanks.

Is it still slightly "easier" to get the 1pm VQ? We will be in the air during the 7am VQ on our first day, which is also our first Epcot day. If we set alarms and have multiple phones going in the park and take the 1pm VQ seriously, are we likely to get it? We do have a second Epcot day where we will be available at 7am (and 1pm) but we'd like to ride it both days if possible.

Thanks.
Yes, 1:00 tends to be less busy and since you'll already be in the park by 1PM, hopefully that works out. How long the 1:00 drop lasts really depends on how busy the park is each day.

My whole trip plans are being built around Cosmic Rewind. I'm of course weighing the pros and cons of various hotels, including off-property, but I think I'm seeing one big conclusion and want to check whether my assumptions are correct. Note, this is a trip of 4 people, and I'm targeting Tue Jan 17, the day after MLK, or maybe the 18th—hopefully lower traffic than the holiday itself, but still elevated.

Conclusion: If CR is important to me... and I'm only in the parks for a single park-hopping day... and I still want to make the most of that day... then I'd better stay at a Disney hotel.

How I got there:
  • Assumption: If I'm not at a Disney hotel, I don't have a hope of ILL. They're gone by 7:01, and I can't buy until park opening.
  • Without ILL, my only option is virtual queue. (But, even more scary, I've seen rumors about CR leaving vq, in which case I'm looking at standby, and definitely standing in line for a long time, maybe hours?)
  • Assumption: To book virtual queue at the 7am drop, I must have a park reservation for Epcot.
  • If I do that and get a morning time, cool. I start the park-hopping day at Epcot, ride CR, and go on my merry way and park-hop at 2pm. But...
  • Assumption: The morning vq books up so fast that I might not get a morning slot.
  • Then my fallback is the 1pm drop. But to participate in that, everyone in my party has to have already tapped into Epcot. And that means that we haven't spent the morning in any other park... and the screenshots here show booking at 1 and getting an estimated return time of 6:30. Once park-hopping opens at 2, I would have only 4.5 hours to do any other parks before coming back. Or even if I play chicken by waiting a few minutes to book and getting a later return time... the point is, I've already sacrificed the first half my day to Epcot—without riding CR during that time, and will still return to it in the second half of the day. I love Epcot and all, but our party isn't really excited about any other ride there (even Ratatouille), and I'd like to visit all my favorites at the other parks.
So I guess it hinges on: What are the odds of getting a morning virtual-queue time?

I'm trying to bring this trip in under budget, and that means cutting the tickets down to one park-hopping day (plus AH at HS), and staying at Pop Century to get the 7am ILL. If it turns out that I could just use vq and stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for a similar price... and have 3 beds and 2 baths... then I know I have some in the party that would prefer the space.

My whole trip plans are being built around Cosmic Rewind. I'm of course weighing the pros and cons of various hotels, including off-property, but I think I'm seeing one big conclusion and want to check whether my assumptions are correct. Note, this is a trip of 4 people, and I'm targeting Tue Jan 17, the day after MLK, or maybe the 18th—hopefully lower traffic than the holiday itself, but still elevated.

Conclusion: If CR is important to me... and I'm only in the parks for a single park-hopping day... and I still want to make the most of that day... then I'd better stay at a Disney hotel.

How I got there:
  • Assumption: If I'm not at a Disney hotel, I don't have a hope of ILL. They're gone by 7:01, and I can't buy until park opening.
  • Without ILL, my only option is virtual queue. (But, even more scary, I've seen rumors about CR leaving vq, in which case I'm looking at standby, and definitely standing in line for a long time, maybe hours?)
  • Assumption: To book virtual queue at the 7am drop, I must have a park reservation for Epcot.
  • If I do that and get a morning time, cool. I start the park-hopping day at Epcot, ride CR, and go on my merry way and park-hop at 2pm. But...
  • Assumption: The morning vq books up so fast that I might not get a morning slot.
  • Then my fallback is the 1pm drop. But to participate in that, everyone in my party has to have already tapped into Epcot. And that means that we haven't spent the morning in any other park... and the screenshots here show booking at 1 and getting an estimated return time of 6:30. Once park-hopping opens at 2, I would have only 4.5 hours to do any other parks before coming back. Or even if I play chicken by waiting a few minutes to book and getting a later return time... the point is, I've already sacrificed the first half my day to Epcot—without riding CR during that time, and will still return to it in the second half of the day. I love Epcot and all, but our party isn't really excited about any other ride there (even Ratatouille), and I'd like to visit all my favorites at the other parks.
So I guess it hinges on: What are the odds of getting a morning virtual-queue time?

I'm trying to bring this trip in under budget, and that means cutting the tickets down to one park-hopping day (plus AH at HS), and staying at Pop Century to get the 7am ILL. If it turns out that I could just use vq and stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for a similar price... and have 3 beds and 2 baths... then I know I have some in the party that would prefer the space.

It’s 12:11pm and you can currently buy ILL for GoG with a return time of 4:25. This has been the pattern for a while now so I wouldn’t assume you can’t get ILL off site. I too have heard the rumors of a standby line but not sure how much truth there is. Doubt they will do it before the holidays are over but who knows after that.

How I got there:

Your assumptions are off
for ILL it is incorrect. it lasts hours
7am VQ is the one that goes fast. Anyone with a park reservation can try for this at 7am no matter what. Where you stay is irrelevant
the return time of your VQ is also irrelevant to some degree. You can’t enter before it’s called but you can enter anytime after, up till park close. At least until further notice.
you are correct about the 1pm drop
at this point there is no stand by. Until one is announced by Disney I’d assume nothing changing

Last edited:
Your assumption about ILL is incorrect. it lasts hours
Well shucks, I guess I should have checked https://www.thrill-data.com/waits/a...galaxycosmicrewind/lightninglane/2022/11/03/8 before posting! If I'm reading that graph correctly, in the last week ILL never sold out before park opening; and on most days, a reservation made at 8:30 could get a return time before 2 pm. (On the outlier, 10/29, I'll bet it went down...) On the lucky day of yesterday, the return time at 8:30 was 10 minutes later!

So that changes things. I'll gladly pay ca $75 for having a secured time and being able to plan around it.

Okay. I am planning on doing a virtual Qeue for our group of 4. There is a chance that our young son will chicken out and not want to go. If that happens, can I go with my Daughter and then have my wife go and take my daughter using my son's magic band for a second ride?

Okay. I am planning on doing a virtual Qeue for our group of 4. There is a chance that our young son will chicken out and not want to go. If that happens, can I go with my Daughter and then have my wife go and take my daughter using my son's magic band for a second ride?
Yes, you can use someone else's band to ride, as long as that person has entered the park
DGD rode using DH's band during our trip when he ended up not feeling well on one of our park days. He came to the park but didn't want to ride. So she rode twice

Well shucks, I guess I should have checked https://www.thrill-data.com/waits/a...galaxycosmicrewind/lightninglane/2022/11/03/8 before posting! If I'm reading that graph correctly, in the last week ILL never sold out before park opening; and on most days, a reservation made at 8:30 could get a return time before 2 pm. (On the outlier, 10/29, I'll bet it went down...) On the lucky day of yesterday, the return time at 8:30 was 10 minutes later!

So that changes things. I'll gladly pay ca $75 for having a secured time and being able to plan around it.
The good news is, you can, if you want, get up at 6:55ish, try for the VQ, see what BG you get. You'll have an estimate of what your return time will be even before you go to buy an ILL time. In the few hours between getting your BG and the time you can buy ILL, you should have an even better idea of the BG return time, if the BG hasn't already been called by then. You may even decide you won't need an ILL. Or decide you'd like a 2nd ride and buy it too. But, I wouldn't pass on trying for a VQ, unless getting up at 6:55 am is a real issue.

You don't need to do that at all. Disney hasn't been enforcing return times for boarding groups. You can show up whenever you are able. As long as your BG has been called, you can return at anytime that day.
I understood that you can’t show up BEFORE your boarding group time, but you can after. That isn’t an issue for @randumb0, but I wanted to put this out there. Has your experience been different?

I understood that you can’t show up BEFORE your boarding group time, but you can after. That isn’t an issue for @randumb0, but I wanted to put this out there. Has your experience been different?
No problem arriving late after your BG is called. Have fun!!

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I've looked in a couple of threads and can't find out.

Is there a limit on party size when getting a Boarding Group? We have a big family trip in December and there are 12 of us. Will I be able to add everyone to the group?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter