• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everyone (Adults) Going Through Metal Detectors in the Mahic Kingdom Today

First, this was NOT done on purpose or to see if I could get away with it.It was an oversight on my part.

At Christmas, on our 5th day in the parks at DHS, security noticed my pepper spray. I felt foolish because I hadn't even thought about it and they happily disposed of it for me.

They switch up the procedures so you don't know what you're walking into.
I personally prefer it when I get to bypass security. I like the random people going through instead

Agreed - I know for a fact that I'm not going to stir up trouble. But those random people..... :-)

I would feel a lot safer with this but what about people with medical implants? Would they do pat-downs? For some reason that just doesn't seem very Disney like to me.

When we were there a few weeks ago, we went through only about half the time.

As far as bag checks, it was quite obvious that some security people checked more thoroughly than others. Sometimes they would give my wife's bag nothing more than a cursory check and others they would carefully check every little thing.

When we were there in December, we stayed at the GF, so we were bag-checked and went through a metal detector every time before we boarded the monorail at the resort. Makes it smooth getting into MK, as you bypass the bag-check and security there and go right to the tapstiles.

We entered Epcot twice on that trip, once we went through metal detector, once we were waved around.

At Hollywood Studios (only went once) we went through the metal detector. I remember because they asked my parents about anything that the detector could interfere with and found out Mom has a pacemaker. They didn't let her go through and instead wanded her. I don't know why theirs would be more of a risk than the others. She went through the one at the GF many, many times.

I honestly can't remember at Animal Kingdom.

FWIW: We learned the joys of going bagless into the parks that trip. So liberating!

:eek: Who's searching rooms :confused:

You're right, it's more of a room entry policy and not explicitly a room search policy. I don't think they're going to be conducting room searches unless there is a reasonable suspicion. That would be pointless.

In reality, I've stayed at many major hotels with a policy that they had to check in the room once per day, even if you had the tag hung up outside your door. They just didn't make it as explicit as Disney does.

So I do wonder for the people who prefer the metal detectors - on a day when they're not putting everyone through a metal detector, is this then in the back of your head all day? Are you in line for a ride, or sitting at lunch, or waiting for a parade to start, thinking that someone might start shooting up the place?

I wasn’t a poster who said they preferred everyone go through the metal detectors but my .02 is no, I’ll never live in fear. I’m more of a “meh, whatever happens happens” kind of girl. My odds of getting killed in my car on my way to work are much better than getting shot up at WDW.
Maybe it’s the chill (pun intended) Canadian blood in me but I simply don’t sweat the bag check or metal detectors. They just don’t impact my day enough for me to give them a second thought. It is what it is. :-)

I would feel a lot safer with this but what about people with medical implants? Would they do pat-downs? For some reason that just doesn't seem very Disney like to me.
I have a pacemaker and when I’m picked to go through the metal detector, I have to wait for a female pat down sometimes, and sometimes they wand everything but the site of my pacemaker.

YEAH!!! Until they do everyone it’s a joke. More times than I can count no bag folks completely bypass metal detectors while I got searched and scanned. I’ve complained to security and they told me “We agree and think we should scan everyone, please write to Disney.”

Epcot this week two days everyone “14 and older” were scanned. MK also scanned everyone on Sunday.

We agree amongst our group we feel much safer at Universal. They are efficient, do it right and EVERYONE is scanned and they X-ray our bags without putting their hands all through it.

DS to Disneyland Paris ... all bags went through scanner machines at each entry point for their DTD, which he had to go through to get to his hotel or the parks. He felt VERY safe. So Disney does do high end security at other locations.

This quote gives great details of DLP, maybe they should bring it over here.

Or they could do what they do at Disneyland Paris. When you pull up to the resort, the security guard actually inspects the vehicle & looks in the trunk. Only after looking up our reservation, does he open the gate.
Then once we pulled up to the front of the hotel, there's a large tent set up with metal detectors, xray and the whole bit outside. Not random; it's required for everyone walking through the front door. ALL luggage, bags, etc. goes through the xray, like we're at the airport. We go inside and all have to stop again just inside the door to get wand-checked so we stop and spread em like a starfish and then go to check in.
This all happens again on our way to the parks. It's a much smaller property there and our hotel (Newport Bay Club) is an easy walk from the back of the resort to get to the parks, through their mini version of Disney Springs but before we can even get to it, we go through metal detectors, empty pockets, xray bags, etc. After 3 days of this, we were so used it, it didn't even seem weird.
I have to admit, I felt pretty safe there; much safer than in Paris despite a very heavily armed police presence.

Either do it right, or don't do it at all. Random checks are silly. We went to WDW a few weeks after our DLP trip. Ds17 laughed at the security theater at MK's gate saying "Is this supposed to make me feel safe? The don't even check a quarter of the people entering." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I prefer that everyone go through the metal detectors.

In 2016, they selected people randomly, and I got picked every single time.

I don’t have any problem going through metal detectors, but I was offended that I was chosen every time. I don’t look like any kind of troublemaker. I’m a maternal looking woman in her 50s who dresses conservatively. I don’t have a wild hairdo, tatoos or body piercings, so why I was chosen at every entrance, I have no idea.

I remember the first weekend they initiated the metal detectors I was randomly picked. (I always get picked by TSA as well).

I was so excited. I went up to security and thanked her. I told her that I love new experiences at Disney. She high-fived me and we went on with our day.

You are on vacation - they are not. Be kind.......

I prefer that everyone go through the metal detectors.

In 2016, they selected people randomly, and I got picked every single time.

I don’t have any problem going through metal detectors, but I was offended that I was chosen every time. I don’t look like any kind of troublemaker. I’m a maternal looking woman in her 50s who dresses conservatively. I don’t have a wild hairdo, tatoos or body piercings, so why I was chosen at every entrance, I have no idea.

This is why you got picked - blending in is suspicious. Where are your Mickey Ears, your Cinderella T-shirt and Minnie Vans? The quieter the mouse the more dangerous they are.

PS I have since day one gotten picked almost every time, family joke. I think I need to jazz up my look.

This is why you got picked - blending in is suspicious. Where are your Mickey Ears, your Cinderella T-shirt and Minnie Vans? The quieter the mouse the more dangerous they are.

PS I have since day one gotten picked almost every time, family joke. I think I need to jazz up my look.

Bingo.

It's similar to how my step-grandmother from Texas was much more likely to be stopped when driving her RV than if her son or my uncle was driving (my grandfather had alzheimers and could no longer drive) because it is not uncommon for older women to be used as smugglers because "no one will suspect you". Her words, not mine.

I think it's fine. It's the time we live in now. Something is always happening somewhere it seems. Going through and bag checks don't delay my day ever. if it helps just once it's worth it. different times anymore.

Been at the parks three days now and I've not been through a detector once. The detector/security area is the largest bottleneck in the park. If someone wanted to cause mayhem, THAT is the place to do it. Not inside the park itself.

I love the way they do it at Universal and wish Disney would just adopt that structure. It's always well staffed and seamless - takes mere seconds for a full screen for everyone.

The way they choose people for the metal detector is so odd; if they aren't going to scan everyone, I prefer it stay "odd" so that someone can't map out how to get around it.

(I've only been pulled 1x in recent months and it was the 1x I made eye contact with a security guard pulling people LOL)

I don’t mind going though metal detectors unless they are so sensitive that my underwire bra sets them off. That happened at the Statue of Liberty and it was pretty embarrasssing. They have a super sensitive one. Even small necklaces with tiny chains set them off. Literally every bit of metal did. Those took forever to get through. I get the extra security there tho. I hope Disney ones aren’t that sensitive or I will be going bra shopping before the next trip lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter