• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everybody Wants to be a WISH Cat (or dog, or goose, etc...) - October 2016 WISH Challenge

We'll be there Oct. 22-26 - maybe we'll bump into each other!

Did you decide what parks on what days are you doing?

We are arriving late on 22nd
23 HS
24 AK
25 MK
26 Millennia Mall & Epcot

Have few more things to do as doing the car hire check in, changing currency, MNSSHP for DS. The guys refused to look into what they need for holiday ahead and there is no summer stock in the shops anymore so if they need something they will have to wait and get it there but at least their shoes are ok

I am so excited!!! We are going this month! :rockband:

Did you decide what parks on what days are you doing?

We are arriving late on 22nd
23 HS
24 AK
25 MK
26 Millennia Mall & Epcot

Have few more things to do as doing the car hire check in, changing currency, MNSSHP for DS. The guys refused to look into what they need for holiday ahead and there is no summer stock in the shops anymore so if they need something they will have to wait and get it there but at least their shoes are ok

I am so excited!!! We are going this month! :rockband:

We'll be at the Halloween party on the 23rd, EPCOT for our 1 year anniversary on the 24th, and AK on the 25th. I think we're going to Disney Springs and maybe some of the different resorts after we get in on the 22nd. We're driving 14 hours from Memphis so we'll leave late on the 21st and drive overnight.

There has been research done on this since 1933 that shows that people who keep their goals and intentions to themselves are more likely to achieve them. Something about the way our brain processes "saying" something can misconstrue it into thinking we have already "done" it. However, if you do speak of it, it's important to be careful to phrase it in a way that doesn't give your brain the satisfaction of fooling itself into thinking it's already succeeded!

How interesting - its kind of like when you make a wish and your not supposed to not tell anyone or it won't come true!

Hello everyone,

I am Sam, 43 years old, joining in from Australia - I am a solo mum to 3 kids DS15, DS12, & DD12. I work full time. I have neglected myself for a lot of years - I have been on emotional journey and tend to comfort eat and live a pretty sedentary life. This year I have started to try and get more active - there are things I enjoy about it when I do it but it does not come automatically to me yet and it still is quite an effort to get it happening. I went to the doctors this week and they weighed me in at 90kg which is about 198.4 pounds - if I went and jumped on my own scales they are tending to show higher at a bit over 92kg which is around 202 pounds - so obviously I am going with the Doctors weight :rotfl:. But seriously either way it is way too big that I should be - I don't feel good in myself (actually I don't even feel like myself!), lately I have really been noticing how big my stomach feels - it has been feeling bloated and uncomfortable lately, I hate the way clothes look on me and I hate looking (really looking) in the mirror, my blood pressure is creeping up and I am at a higher risk of type 2 diabetes as my Dad developed it later in life. As much as I say I want to change, there is something holding me back and I am not sure if I am just not expecting enough from myself or if it is more related to emotions/mental health. I have been thinking hard about my goal for this month as last month my activity goal didn't get too far (but I am letting that go lol - for those of you who joined me last month and will know what I am talking about). I would love to end the month knowing I am definitely under that 90kg number - it would be awesome to be in the 80s working my way down. I am due to re-start paddling on the river next Friday with some friends so I am hoping that kick starts my activity again.

Goal: To have a month with no take-away food - by take-away I mean McDonalds, KFC, Hungry Jacks (the Aussie version of Burger King), Dominos etc - we easily fall into eating this type of food on nights we are busy and I have either been disorganised and not had food planned/in the house or I am too tired to cook a meal.

How am I going to achieve it? As we are headed into summer sport has finished for my kids so our typical 'take away' night is gone. I am going to need to pre-cook some simple meals that can go in the freezer, have some back up noodles in the cupboard and think of toasted sandwiches as alternatives. There are no birthdays this month or any celebrations that should derail this really. I am going to say that I can eat out - at more of a sit down restaurant style place a couple of times - I know I won't overdo this as it costs extra to eat at these places compared to a drive thru! This will also make it more of a nice family outing when we do this. I am going to visit a new dietician - so hopefully that will help with ideas and motivation. I will have a check in with my Doctor just before the end of the month to weigh in and check my blood pressure. I am going to chat with all of you on here!

What might derail me? ME, the kids (they won't like the idea of a month without it :rotfl2: - but that might be a good thing also), getting tired, a desire for some take-out!

I track calories and I went over some old weigh in records on MFP few months ago and I found out that vacations are a problem for me. That I have gone trough few up and down cycles, down pre vacation, up post vacation and during. I made changes on how I dealt with weight loss, and I made a very successful practice trip to Spain this May on how can I enjoy myself without overeating and plan to do the same this month. Little nervous about it!

This seems to be a common issue for some of us on here. But knowing your habits and patterns is the first step to fixing them. That's amazing that you were able to fix it on your Spain trip. Disney should be just as successful! :teeth:

Goal: To have a month with no take-away food - by take-away I mean McDonalds, KFC, Hungry Jacks (the Aussie version of Burger King), Dominos etc - we easily fall into eating this type of food on nights we are busy and I have either been disorganised and not had food planned/in the house or I am too tired to cook a meal

That's an awesome goal! (Something I struggle with myself too....) It's crazy how that stuff can throw you off track. Even if you go back to eating right, it starts those awful cravings!

Okay I must be in a funny mood - as I read back those first 3 words of my intro - Dr Seuss jumped in my head I AM SAM, SAM I AM :rotfl2: clearly I need to get ready for bed o_O

:rotfl:

I am Melanie a SAHM with 5 kids ranging from 9 years to 21 months. I live in Florida and for the past year have taken up running. I am currently training for the Goofy Challenge(half marathon followed by the full) in January. Since I started running I have lost 23 lbs and hope to lose 38 more.

My goal this month is to be within 10g of my protein goal everyday.

I am going to achieve it by tracking my eating on MFP (just started using it again), and choosing foods that are higher in protein even if I don't really like them (eggs :crazy2:)

Some problems that could derail me are meeting my protein goal while staying in my calorie goal could be tricky. I am going to have to choose wisely and probably going to have to cut out treats. That is going to be a problem since I am a sugar addict!

I am Melanie a SAHM with 5 kids ranging from 9 years to 21 months. I live in Florida and for the past year have taken up running. I am currently training for the Goofy Challenge(half marathon followed by the full) in January. Since I started running I have lost 23 lbs and hope to lose 38 more.

My goal this month is to be within 10g of my protein goal everyday.

I am going to achieve it by tracking my eating on MFP (just started using it again), and choosing foods that are higher in protein even if I don't really like them (eggs :crazy2:)

Some problems that could derail me are meeting my protein goal while staying in my calorie goal could be tricky. I am going to have to choose wisely and probably going to have to cut out treats. That is going to be a problem since I am a sugar addict!

Check this recipe collection, you may find things that appeal. Some are so high in protein - the guy that wrote it is book author, body builder, trainer and most recipes are rich on protein

http://www.burnthefatfeedthemuscle.com/downloads/muscle-feeding-recipes.pdf

I do the turkey wramble without the wrap and is mine is usually about 250 calories with 40g of protein!

I used to think bodybuilders overestimate the benefits in eating a lot of protein but when my husband had to go through so many surgeries in short time all the doctors insisted he eat very high protein to help recovery

Yesterday was the final of the tennis club my husband joined this February. I had emotional moment - he won in male doubles category! August 2015 he struggled crossing the street and he needed my help and year on he won a tennis tournament! There was dinner event with awards in a yacht club. I think I looked good, I wore the dress I bought myself as a reward end of July and it needs little fitting now as it's big. One more reason I want to settle at some weight as I can't be buying clothes and not having clothes that fit all the time. There were many women and men in their 60's looking fantastic. It's clear that their tennis hobby helps aging well. It has been very positive for DH to go back to a sports he loves, he is different man now and I am very proud of him.

It was a good night, I drank sparkling water for the night. I took burger without the bun, bbq chicken ribs and loaded my plate with salads. Skipped the 4 huge cakes they had!

I bought costume for DS for MNSSHP. Yey, I don't have to look for one in US. Last time we spend half day looking for costume, not great use of holiday time. I did Alamo skip the counter. I have to organise API, buy currency and sort clothes out but we are pretty much ready

I am fighting with sore throat for a week and it seem I am not winning today. I will go to the shop this morning and try to rest while doing my weekly cook ahead for the week.

calories I finished even yesterday, which is good on day I have meal out.

Have a healthy day all

In some ways this month is my real challenge! We are going to WDW on 22nd of October for 2 weeks. I hope I can manage to practice moderation and don't undo all the hard work I did last 6 months, as I have done in the past

This is my challenge for October as well - we leave Friday for a quick vakay. One day at HS to enjoy Club Villain and two days of Universal and HHN! I am not even going to blink at whatever they serve for Club Villain but unlike every other vacation I am going to watch it the rest of the time and for once actually pack work out clothes and find the gym! Pretty sure Pop doesn't have one but we are going from there to two other hotels so I will find one!

I hopped back on the wagon hardcore at the end of July at 201.8. None of my summer shorts fit! Now I'm at 185.0 and most things fit again YAY! I actually enjoyed packing yesterday...

So my main goal for October is to not overdo it in Florida and then stay with the trainer program and continue to stay DAILY under my calorie goal on MFP.

Happy October everyone!

I'm Josh - I'm 41 years old and a Special Education teacher in Central Illinois. I've been married for 15 years and have two wonderful children.

I think I started with these threads back in February and they've been great. I started my weight loss journey at the beginning of January at 320 lbs and have lost 122 lbs in 2016. Now, I find myself in more of a "maintenance mode". While the BMI might still have me at "overweight", I really can't imagine losing too much more. I guess ideally I would like to get down to around 185, I would be perfectly happy to stay where I am.

With my weight loss, I've also lost a great deal of muscle/strength which I'm going to start focusing on. I have a lot of loose skin which I need to address. Hopefully strength training will help that. My time is limited during the football season, so I'm trying to work in either push-ups or sit-ups daily. Once football season is over, I'm hoping to ramp it up a bit more.

This month I'll be running my first half marathon. I actually ran my last long practice run today where I ran the full 13.1 miles for the first time and was pretty pleased with my time. I know the path today was much flatter than it will be in two weeks, but after today's time I almost feel like I'll be playing with house money in two weeks.

Looking forward to another great month and thanks to @Lady Marie for hosting. Loved the pic of you and your husband on instagram this weekend! If anyone is interested - you can find me @jholman34.

First of all.... I'm here, I'm here! Did anyone save me a seat? Sorry it took me until mid-afternoon on the 2nd to jump in! I attended a Grad School open house in Boston with DD yesterday and it pretty much consumed the entire day.

Weekend Question: October 1 & 2
So there are two sides to today's topic. First, I know it's tradition to discuss our goals and our plans of how to get there. BUT I was listening to a TED talk the other day that got me thinking.

There has been research done on this since 1933 that shows that people who keep their goals and intentions to themselves are more likely to achieve them. Something about the way our brain processes "saying" something can misconstrue it into thinking we have already "done" it. However, if you do speak of it, it's important to be careful to phrase it in a way that doesn't give your brain the satisfaction of fooling itself into thinking it's already succeeded!

Anyway, it was pretty interesting. You can read or listen to the snippet of the TED talk here:
https://www.ted.com/talks/derek_sivers_keep_your_goals_to_yourself/transcript?language=en

So that said, if you want to try this month and keep it to yourself this month, that's fine by me! Just keep tracking your percentages to report :-)

But onto convention:

latest

So I know I teased with Aristocats and am already taking you out of their universe, but it's still cat adjacent, right?!

In The Lion King, one of the first songs we hear is from Simba singing how he Just Can't Wait to be King. This is a huge tradition in musicals and musical theater. Often, the main character starts out by telling the audience what the show is about and what their journey will be by singing their "I Wish" song. (Think Belle- "I want adventure in the great wide somewhere," Pocahontas- "Just around the riverbend," etc, etc).

So let's hear your I Wish song-- well, statement....

What are your goals for this month? What are your plans to get there? What obstacles can you already see up ahead? How do you plan to over come those obstacles in your way?

My goal is to get back to my pre-California weight (2.4 lb away).... that puts me firmly under my WW goal and back to my "happy place" on the scale. Plans to get there.... get back to tracking 100% (I've been lax, due to being busy, etc.... but NO EXCUSES!) and get a better handle on the snacking and snacking PORTIONS. I am overcoming obstacles (being busy) by planning ahead.... I've already made two breakfasts and one lunch for this busy week ahead....... and dinners will be easy because DH will be gone... so I only have to worry about myself.... so PB2 and banana on a low carb flatbread, oatmeal, and things like that will suffice.

Hey friends! Isn't it so exciting to have a fresh new month ahead?! And as a kitty-lover, I adore this theme!! You all are SO creative!

I've been promising a few pictures from my California adventures, so I'm going to try and post those next..... but sometimes I run into trouble with my file sizes here on the Dis, so we shall see what happens!...............P

Hi everyone! I will respond and do the usual I introduction later - but I wanted to share some amazing news with you re: my exercise goals.

My life style change has focused on being more active and trying to get that sub-3 hour half marathon time through practice. I did it today at Rock n Roll San Jose! 2:59:15. I also got a 37:50 5k time.

With this in mind I need to rethink my goals and I'll post again when I am on my laptop. Looking forward to my next race with @Dr Gunnie in STL. I ran into @kirstie101 today on the course and she motivated me to keep moving.

Hi everyone! I will respond and do the usual I introduction later - but I wanted to share some amazing news with you re: my exercise goals.

My life style change has focused on being more active and trying to get that sub-3 hour half marathon time through practice. I did it today at Rock n Roll San Jose! 2:59:15. I also got a 37:50 5k time.

I was wondering how you were going! Congratulations that is awesome and very inspiring :jumping1:

Count me in !

By way of introduction - I'm 38, married to a great husband and we have a DD9 and a DD7. We have two dogs. No excuses, just didn't put my health anywhere near the priorities and overtime I just stared at photos and eventually said 'OMG - is that what I look like?' - Did Whole30 earlier this year - it was okay, made it through the 30 days - but did not feel like it was a lifestyle change I could maintain. I started the Love Diet by Connie Guttersen on August 29 and have lost 20 pounds. I've also been using MyFitnessPal daily tracking and using a fitbit to motivate to get moving. I signed up for the Dark Side 5K in April - which is something to look forward to. I have no delusions that I would run the 5K, but at least speedwalk without having a heart attack. :laughing:

Goal for October: Lose an additional 13 pounds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter