Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

I’ve used Uber for the last three or four trips and for the most part have been very satisfied with the service except for the last ride in October. Was so bad I gave him a one star rating and emailed Uber. I hope he was fired. He scared the hell out of me and I was in tears when we finally arrived at my destination.

If I use UberXL will I have a better chance of getting someone who is familiar with the area and speaks English or do I need to request Uber Select?

What will happen if I request a ride and refuse when they arrive because I don’t feel safe?

I’ve used Uber for the last three or four trips and for the most part have been very satisfied with the service except for the last ride in October. Was so bad I gave him a one star rating and emailed Uber. I hope he was fired. He scared the hell out of me and I was in tears when we finally arrived at my destination.

If I use UberXL will I have a better chance of getting someone who is familiar with the area and speaks English or do I need to request Uber Select?

What will happen if I request a ride and refuse when they arrive because I don’t feel safe?
No, not in my experience. I'm not sure why you would think that a change in service levels would make a difference anyway. It's an area with a large non-English speaking population. That's not really ever bothered us or impacted our trips. I've always been able to get the info of where I was going to the driver, even when it's been clear they spoke no English at all. Thankfully I never felt unsafe

I'm glad you've never been in the position where you felt unsafe. I never have either...until that ride. I don't know if a change in service levels would make a difference which is why I asked.

Thank you for 1-starring the driver. One bad rating will NOT get him fired, and generally one email complaint will not either (obviously, it depends on the nature of the complaint). But your response was perfect, and helps the entire rideshare community. You also will not be paired with that driver again.

The only other suggestion I would make in that particular situation is this: ANY time you feel unsafe in an Uber/Lyft ride, tell the driver to stop in a safe place and let you out. Cancel the ride, order another Uber, and complete your ride safely. Then immediately call or message Uber and tell them what happened. You won't be charged for the Expedition Everest Uber.

About Ratings: Rideshare ratings are rarely understood by riders, and even by many drivers. The natural inclination is to think of them like hotel ratings, or grades in school. A 5-star resort is really something special; an A is a really good grade.

But to drivers, a 5-star rating is an A -- and a 4-star rating is an F. If a driver's average rating stays below 4.6 (92%, and an A in school) for any length of time, they will be fired. A driver should be expected to provide certain things: a clean car, courtesy, and a safe ride from Point A to Point B. If they provide that, you should give them 5 stars.

Drivers are not expected to feed you, or water you, or entertain you -- although some will. The driver can't help it if you waited 10 minutes -- that's completely out of the driver's control. The driver can't fix traffic. If you're stuck in traffic, you're just stuck in traffic. Unless there is something clearly wrong with a ride, I always rate my drivers 5 stars.

I would also encourage everyone to take the few seconds and rate your drivers. Unfortunately, MOST riders do NOT rate their drivers because if they're completely satisfied with the ride, they often don't feel it's necessary to rate. (I have a very high rating, but only 44% of my riders have rated me.) All that does is skew the driver's average toward lower ratings -- most of which come from drunks or Pool riders. That is neither fair, nor accurate.

Riders also get rated. In fact, drivers are required to rate each rider in order to close out the ride and get paid -- so you get rated. If you have the latest update of the Uber rider app, you can see your rating by clicking the three menu bars in the upper left corner of the app.

No. In fact, you might even be more likely to get a non-English speaker. Most of those guys are full-time drivers, and they often drive the higher, better-paying platforms...especially in Orlando where the fares are abysmally low.

What you can do is to pre-schedule important or longer rides using Uzurv. You will be able to see a driver profile, and chat directly with the driver before making a committment to the ride. There is a small fee (currently $.99), and I would NOT use pre-scheduling for short rides. You also can't use it for airport pickups.

You might get charged a cancellation fee, but it will be immediately refunded as soon as you notify Uber why you canceled. NEVER get in any vehicle of any type if you don't feel safe.

uber drivers in orlando don't speak english??????????????????????????
Some don't.

I don't know what the percentage is in Orlando, but I get a lot of complaints from riders in Miami that their drivers didn't speak one word of English. I've even gotten that complaint from Spanish-speakers!

I actually don't think it's as bad as some think; I think a lot of the time, the driver just has a thick accent.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or all the question marks mean you are surprised by this and genuinely questioning it.

not sarcastic, actually asking (and shocked by it)

Some don't.

I don't know what the percentage is in Orlando, but I get a lot of complaints from riders in Miami that their drivers didn't speak one word of English. I've even gotten that complaint from Spanish-speakers!

I actually don't think it's as bad as some think; I think a lot of the time, the driver just has a thick accent.

if you can't speak the language how can you possibly be a good driver???
there are signs that are written in english.

so i guess i won't make my son and daughter in law take uber to universal....

this is a deal breaker for me.... there is no way you can be a decent driver if you can't read all the signs you encounter...

this is a deal breaker for me.... there is no way you can be a decent driver if you can't read all the signs you encounter...
My experience -- in a heavily Spanish-speaking city -- is that a lot of the time, the person who says "No Ingles" actually does speak some English. They just don't feel comfortable; they are self-conscious about their accent; they don't want to offend; etc.

And frankly, a driver doesn't really have to speak English. They have to know road signs and traffic laws to get a license, and they have GPS. They can set their GPS to Spanish if they really need to.

They may be less helpful with tourist information and other things that require detailed explanation, but the actual ride itself is not that complicated.

On the other hand, your son and DIL may enjoy rocking Salsa all the way to Universal!

And...they also have the option of pre-scheduling and pre-screening the driver.

Thank you for 1-starring the driver. One bad rating will NOT get him fired, and generally one email complaint will not either (obviously, it depends on the nature of the complaint). But your response was perfect, and helps the entire rideshare community. You also will not be paired with that driver again.

It's a relief to know that I would never see that driver again. Thank you for that info.

I always rate my drivers 5 stars.
I do the same.

No. In fact, you might even be more likely to get a non-English speaker. Most of those guys are full-time drivers, and they often drive the higher, better-paying platforms...especially in Orlando where the fares are abysmally low.
That makes sense. A full-time driver with a better vehicle is more likely to give a safe ride to ensure a 5 star rating.

What you can do is to pre-schedule important or longer rides using Uzurv.
Good to know if I ever need this service. I really only go a few miles to the Publix at Celebration or within Disney property.

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

My experience -- in a heavily Spanish-speaking city -- is that a lot of the time, the person who says "No Ingles" actually does speak some English. They just don't feel comfortable; they are self-conscious about their accent; they don't want to offend; etc.

And frankly, a driver doesn't really have to speak English. They have to know road signs and traffic laws to get a license, and they have GPS. They can set their GPS to Spanish if they really need to.

They may be less helpful with tourist information and other things that require detailed explanation, but the actual ride itself is not that complicated.

On the other hand, your son and DIL may enjoy rocking Salsa all the way to Universal!

And...they also have the option of pre-scheduling and pre-screening the driver.

DDIL is fluent in multiple languages, including spanish (her native language)...
doesn't mean she wants to be in a car with someone who can't read a sign that says 'danger, road out'

was this your uber driver?
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/uber-driver-involved-in-fatal-crash-in-traffic-court

not sarcastic, actually asking (and shocked by it)

Of course you can be. To think otherwise is quite frankly, ridiculous. Sorry, to be blunt but driving is one job that a non-English speaker can do perfectly well. I'd say that 90% of our drivers were not native English speakers and of those a fair number didn't speak English more than a handful of words. At no time did we have any issues getting to our destination safely.

I'm floored you are surprised. Have you been to Orlando? You do realize it has a very large Hispanic population, right? Though we've had drivers that spoke other languages, most have been Spanish speakers

Why would you call someone's opinion ridiculous because you don't agree? :(

My Uber driver could barely speak English, drove through a red light, pulled over on a busy highway TWICE, and raised his voice to me when I questioned him. He clearly had no idea where he was or how to safely drive. He did not seem to care that I was in tears thinking the worst and wondering if I was going to get out alive.
He was not Hispanic.

Why would you call someone's opinion ridiculous because you don't agree? :(

My Uber driver could barely speak English, drove through a red light, pulled over on a busy highway TWICE, and raised his voice to me when I questioned him. He clearly had no idea where he was or how to safely drive. He did not seem to care that I was in tears thinking the worst and wondering if I was going to get out alive.
He was not Hispanic.
Because I think it's ridiculous to think that because they don't speak English they can't drive. It has nothing to do with agreeing with me. It is a blanket thought that I believe to be a very ridiculous notion. We all know darn well there are thousands of horrible drivers that are native English speakers. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other

You still are calling someone ridiculous for their opinion. Please remember no one is calling you ridiculous for yours.

:rotfl2:No Robin! A tip is most certainly NOT included -- and never has been! That's a myth that was spread early in ridesharing history, and has persisted ever since.
OK. I misspoke. "Tipping is not included, nor is it expected or required." https://medium.com/uber-under-the-hood/our-approach-to-tipping-aa0074c0fddc In any case, you CANNOT tip in the app so I made sure I had a couple of dollars anyway.

If you are riding X in Orlando, your fare calculation is $.65 per mile plus about $.10 per minute. Your driver gets paid 75% of that -- nothing more.

Using the per-mile fare + time, your fare would have been a tiny bit less than $10. You probably had an Uber Upfront Pricing fare -- which is a bit more than regular -- but the driver would only have received $7.40. You can check for yourself using RideGuru.
Oh for Pete's sake, that's what I remembered off the top of my head. I just looked at my app and I paid exactly $9.55 at 7:36 AM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter