Ever walked out of the hair dresser in tears

It happened today.:worried: I have been growing my hair out for about 7 months. I have had a short pixie cut for about 25 years. It it super cute but I felt it was time to do something different plus my niece is getting married this month and I wanted to do something out of my box. I went in today to have it colored and then am going back Thursday for highlights. My hair dresser has been the same for 20 years. She knew what my goal was. She said she was just going to clean up the back. She took off two inches by the time she was done. I look like a boy with a bowl cut. I am really disappointed! Of course it will grow back but not in 2 weeks. I am to the point now that I think I’m going to have it all cut back off on Thursday.

Ever been disappointed with a cut?
Absolutely! Think that most of us has been there at least once. You mentioned that your hair dresser has been the same for 20 years. That is a LONG TIME! I would phone her definitely and see what she can do! Haircuts are typically expensive, you have an established relationship with her. Explain your disappointment in person. Absolutely GO BACK IN! GOOD LUCK, hope that it works out well!:goodvibes

Tears? No, but super upset, yes. I went to a well known salon for years for cuts, but decided to color my hair. This salon had multiple different levels of stylists, as well as separation of specialties, in other words, the color people were not the same people who would cut your hair. I asked for my light brown/ashy hair to be blonde/strawberry blonde/auburn. No problem I was told. Instead I ended up Ronald McDonald orange. Then I went back several times for the salon to correct the color to no avail (free). I ended up going to a different salon, on the recommendation of a friend, and the hairstylist ended up dying my hair back to the original boring brown and made me wait until the fried mess had grown out before she would consider recoloring it.

Yes, but not because of how my hair turned out. It was the salon that my boss / friend went to. I had never been there and she said it was great, so we made appointments at the same time. I wanted all-over color with highlights and a trim. I did not realize how expensive this place was (my bad). And when they told me it was well over $300 (before the tip), I was shocked. I didn't question it, because my boss was there with me. I just paid and went out to my car and cried. The color and cut was great, but I never went back.

Almost, last month. I always go in with dirty hair to get it colored as it works better for me, but I forgot that I had tried a brand new sunscreen spray on my hair part. Well, that spray did NOT react well with my low-lights and everywhere that the sunscreen was applied or had run down was neon orange, it looked like I was bleeding neon orange from the top of my head. Thankfully my hairdresser is a pro and she was committed to getting me to a normal human hair color before I left. I was there for well over four hours but finally multiple processes later and although my hair was darker than it has been in years it was at least a 'normal' color and didn't look like I was going to a rave.

I agree with the extensions. I saw an older woman who had a relatively short bob getting extensions in to make it thicker and a little longer. It was wonderful. My hair is too short for them, but I think extensions are a great add in expecially if you are trying to grow your hair out.

I went today and they said it was too short!:sad2:

I went today and they said it was too short!:sad2:
I’m sorry. I’ve had friends with really short hair get extensions while growing theirs out. Maybe you’ll be able to in a couple of months. I know that doesn’t help you with this wedding.

Always. With curly hair, after 40 years (I'm 50), I've finally found someone who can work with my hair. Part of my problem is that I tend to get it done, and then not get it cut again for 8+ months. I've been getting it cut every 8 weeks over the past year and it's amazing how much better it is.

But give it time. My mother-in-law says the difference between a bad haircut and a great one is about 2 weeks, and I've found that to be the case.

My sympathies, though.

ETA: I do believe you get what you pay for in terms of hair. DD and I used to do Great Clips. Now we use a salon (Mario Tricoci Crystal Lake for those of you in Chicagoland). Yes, it's an ungodly amount. But the difference in both of our cuts is leaps and bounds better than we used to get.

Last edited:
I’m sorry. I’ve had friends with really short hair get extensions while growing theirs out. Maybe you’ll be able to in a couple of months. I know that doesn’t help you with this wedding.

They said no, but I wonder if it was type they are. It may be easier with a different product. So while I was there I went ahead and got a new haircut. They took a little more length off but at least it looks better. All that growing out ruined in 30 minutes....unbelievable! I canceled my apt with my regular girl for highlights tomorrow and canceled for the day of the wedding about three weeks from now. This will be tough because she is a close friend. We will see.

I was talking to my DH about it and realized in 20 years she hasn’t taken any workshops, classes, etc... I think she knows what she knows and has not branched out to learn anything new. As a teacher, speech therapist I always took continuing ed, workshops, etc....you have to keep current in whatever you do IMO.

Sorry that the bad cut had to come right before a big event.

I cried once. Had hair down well below my shoulders and decided it was time for something new, wanted a bob around chin length. Went to a new expensive place because I was new in town and figured they would give me a good cut. I left with a wedge cut in back and it angled down to just below my ears in front. As she was cutting I kept saying, you know I want it chin length right? And her answer was "oh you're gonna love this" I should have walked away then. When she turned the chair around and held up a mirror for me to see the back of my head I couldn't even speak. I paid and left and I don't think I even said a word I was trying so hard not to cry in the shop. Had to sit in the car awhile and stop crying enough to drive home.

How can someone do that? Specifically give you a cut that you didn't ask for because they think it will look better than what you wanted? ugh

They said no, but I wonder if it was type they are. It may be easier with a different product. So while I was there I went ahead and got a new haircut. They took a little more length off but at least it looks better. All that growing out ruined in 30 minutes....unbelievable! I canceled my apt with my regular girl for highlights tomorrow and canceled for the day of the wedding about three weeks from now. This will be tough because she is a close friend. We will see.

I was talking to my DH about it and realized in 20 years she hasn’t taken any workshops, classes, etc... I think she knows what she knows and has not branched out to learn anything new. As a teacher, speech therapist I always took continuing ed, workshops, etc....you have to keep current in whatever you do IMO.
May I ask if you discussed it with her at all? As a customer you absolutely have the right to complain to management or whatever and have somebody else do your work but as a friend, if I were her, I'd really want to know about it so I could at least apologize. If you don't communicate with her, the resentment will weigh on you and there's no way you won't let it affect your relationship. Kind of unfair if she never learns why. (Again, these comments are based on you being friends - as a service provider she's not owed anything.)

May I ask if you discussed it with her at all? As a customer you absolutely have the right to complain to management or whatever and have somebody else do your work but as a friend, if I were her, I'd really want to know about it so I could at least apologize. If you don't communicate with her, the resentment will weigh on you and there's no way you won't let it affect your relationship. Kind of unfair if she never learns why. (Again, these comments are based on you being friends - as a service provider she's not owed anything.)

She works for herself in a Sola salon. Not sure if you have them there but they are rented out studios so it’s just her. She knew before I left, I was pretty upset. We talked about it in length and she suggested getting the extensions if possible; she doesn’t do those. She apologized to me today and we will see each other next weekend so we will probably broach it again. We will work through this I’m sure! We have been friends for 20 years so I certainly wouldn’t let this get in the way. I just have to figure out how to tell her I probably will continue to go somewhere else. This unfortunately is not the first time she has struggled with my hair. Honestly, it may be a relief for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter