Ever walked out of the hair dresser in tears

Sabeking

DIS Veteran
It happened today.:worried: I have been growing my hair out for about 7 months. I have had a short pixie cut for about 25 years. It it super cute but I felt it was time to do something different plus my niece is getting married this month and I wanted to do something out of my box. I went in today to have it colored and then am going back Thursday for highlights. My hair dresser has been the same for 20 years. She knew what my goal was. She said she was just going to clean up the back. She took off two inches by the time she was done. I look like a boy with a bowl cut. I am really disappointed! Of course it will grow back but not in 2 weeks. I am to the point now that I think I’m going to have it all cut back off on Thursday.

Ever been disappointed with a cut?

It happened today.:worried: I have been growing my hair out for about 7 months. I have had a short pixie cut for about 25 years. It it super cute but I felt it was time to do something different plus my niece is getting married this month and I wanted to do something out of my box. I went in today to have it colored and then am going back Thursday for highlights. My hair dresser has been the same for 20 years. She knew what my goal was. She said she was just going to clean up the back. She took off two inches by the time she was done. I look like a boy with a bowl cut. I am really disappointed! Of course it will grow back but not in 2 weeks. I am to the point now that I think I’m going to have it all cut back off on Thursday.

I've been disappointed with perms. They don't take in my hair so I only tried twice. Also, once while getting a perm,
I saw a woman go in for a cut with a nice haircut, and leave with a less flattering one. She acted happy, but I was thinking, really?

Yes. I made the mistake of going to a cheap hair cutting place and letting some random woman cut my hair. This woman apparently had no knowledge of curly hair because she cut these huge, dramatic layers into my hair! I walked out of there, went to a local woman who was recommended to me by a friend (crying the whole way), and she fixed it for me but I ended up with my hair as short as it's ever been (it was cut to just above my shoulders) in order to even out the layers. The bad haircut was especially depressing because I was being interviewed by the newspaper the next day, there was no way I was going to let them take a picture of that awful haircut to be immortalized for all time!

I’m sorry this happened to you. I once left a salon with purple hair. Not burgundy tinted but purple. It was supposed to be dark auburn. I was so angry I was in tears but didn’t trust the colorist to fix it. My husband and I laugh now but it really wasn’t funny at the time. Can you get hair extensions while growing your cut out?

I’m sorry this happened to you. I once left a salon with purple hair. Not burgundy tinted but purple. It was supposed to be dark auburn. I was so angry I was in tears but didn’t trust the colorist to fix it. My husband and I laugh now but it really wasn’t funny at the time. Can you get hair extensions while growing your cut out?

I doubt it because I think it’s probably too short. Any other time it would not have bothered me so bad but this wedding is black tie and I look just awful. I don’t know if she was talking too much or what but we are really close friends and I feel like I need to get someone else to salvage this.

I know your pain and have felt it.
Once walked out of a salon looking like a middle aged woman when I was in my twenties. Thank goodness the shop was in a department store so I was able to buy a scarf and slap it on my head.
Hoping the look will "grow" on you.

Never tears, but really irritated. I had had very good luck at Cost Cutters, but there is one woman that has been there forever and her work is very poor in comparison to the rest of the ladies that work there. The first time was a bad haircut. The second time I got a last minute dye job. I usually do my own hair, but decided to treat myself on my day off. I specifically told her I was going to lunch after. Hopped in the car, drove to the restaurant and happened to flip down the mirror and there was dye all over my face. Not just a little, but absolutely everywhere. I had to run home and scrub the dye off my skin before I could go out. I called and complained and they must have made her call me to apologize. Her apology was pretty insulting, basically blaming me for her poor work. I've never been back despite my next service being on the house. I pay twice as much now, but it's worth it not to have to see that woman ever again.

Never tears, but really irritated. I had had very good luck at Cost Cutters, but there is one woman that has been there forever and her work is very poor in comparison to the rest of the ladies that work there. The first time was a bad haircut. The second time I got a last minute dye job. I usually do my own hair, but decided to treat myself on my day off. I specifically told her I was going to lunch after. Hopped in the car, drove to the restaurant and happened to flip down the mirror and there was dye all over my face. Not just a little, but absolutely everywhere. I had to run home and scrub the dye off my skin before I could go out. I called and complained and they must have made her call me to apologize. Her apology was pretty insulting, basically blaming me for her poor work. I've never been back despite my next service being on the house. I pay twice as much now, but it's worth it not to have to see that woman ever again.
You should have demanded a refund. Yuck.

I doubt it because I think it’s probably too short. Any other time it would not have bothered me so bad but this wedding is black tie and I look just awful. I don’t know if she was talking too much or what but we are really close friends and I feel like I need to get someone else to salvage this.
You only need about four inches in length to work with. Ideally six but a good stylist can work with four. I don’t know how much you were left with. I would definitely try someone else if for no other reason than to avoid the awkwardness.

Can you post a picture? You can blur out your face. I have been there, done that, and had a formal event 2 weeks later and I was able to make it look nice. We might be able to help if you show us what it looks like now.

Yes. Similar to the OP, just before my brother's wedding. Lopsided. Shorter on one side than the other. Asymmetrical before that was a thing.

Two days before I got married, I went in to have my heavily highlighted hair refreshed, and my longtime stylist suggested I just go solid blond since I had so many highlights. Awesome idea, I thought! After 4 hours, I walked out of the salon with a bright peach base color and platinum highlights. It was very attractive, but unfortunately didn't go with my color scheme, lol. I ended up having to dye my hair back to my natural brown and look like a stranger on my wedding day. Although, I will say this, brown hair actually looked pretty good in my pictures.

Can you post a picture? You can blur out your face. I have been there, done that, and had a formal event 2 weeks later and I was able to make it look nice. We might be able to help if you show us what it looks like now.

It’s wet right now. I am letting it dry on its own to see how bad the damage is. I might try to post tomorrow. Of course I will have to get DIS help; been here since 2004 and still can’t figure out how to post a picture. My dd is really encouraging me to try and go get extensions. She says they can do miracles. Currently it it looks like a “ bob” right below the ears. It was around my chin before she destroyed it. How can I post a picture of what I was going for from a website?

It’s wet right now. I am letting it dry on its own to see how bad the damage is. I might try to post tomorrow. Of course I will have to get DIS help; been here since 2004 and still can’t figure out how to post a picture. My dd is really encouraging me to try and go get extensions. She says they can do miracles. Currently it it looks like a “ bob” right below the ears. It was around my chin before she destroyed it. How can I post a picture of what I was going for from a website?

Oh, that is not that bad! I had what looked like a bowl cut about an inch ABOVE my ears, with, basically shaved sides. I was able to make that work for a formal. You can simply take your hair and straighten it, then smooth it back and tuck behind your ears. To make it look elegant, part it off center and sweep across your forehead, leaving that side out, and tuck the other side behind your ear.

You can also find a fancy headband to help hold the hair back.

And, as someone who has grown out a pixie MANY times (I get hair ADD), what your stylist did was the correct way to shape the cut as it is growing out, otherwise you would end up looking like Carol Brady and her ski cap hair. I am again growing out my pixie and my hair is just below my ears but the back is starting to look all shaggy and mullet--y so in a couple weeks I will need to have it re shaped and I know I will lose some length. That's how it goes.

Been there My hair was quite long and I asked her to trim the back about an inch, and she suggested long layers so my hair wouldn't be so "heavy." I agreed. She cut my hair very short and hacked my hair into short layers. I didn't realize how short she was cutting it until she turned me around to face the mirror. After she finished drying, it really looked bad. My hair is naturally wavy so I like it long to weigh it down. When it's short, it springs up into wavy curls, which I hate. With the short layers, there was no way to straighten my hair or make it appear longer. I looked so foolish until it grew enough for me to put it up. I cringe when I think of how silly I looked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter