• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ever report a castmember for bad behavior?

Tara8595

DIS Veteran
I was at Animal Kingdom a couple of visits ago and there was a cast member in the bird sanctuary talking to another cast member on the guest path, saying something to the effect of, "...and I told her that it wasn't my job to take out her trash, and if she wanted it picked up, she'd have to do it herself...blah blah blah..." And I thought, you are ruining my facade!!! But I didn't do anything. And later thought, I really should have said something to someone.

With that in mind, on my last trip with 5 adult friends, we were pulling up into the Boardwalk valet parking turn-in, and a cast member valet ran a stop sign and speeding, cut in front of us making a left turn towards the BWI from the valet lot. It was like he was racing another valet who was ahead of us. He about scared us to death, and was driving a guest's car (I guess that's obvious...) I decided this was a safety issue, and we watched who had been driving the car, since we pulled in right behind him, and when we got out of our van, I walked up and checked his name badge, asked for the manager, and told him what this guy had done. He placated me, but didn't really seem sincerely concerned.

After that, even though I felt what he did was wrong, maybe it wasn't that big of a deal. Then I started thinking, I wonder if cast members ever get fired from guest complaints....

So, my question to you gentle readers, is have you ever reported a cast member? Or should you just ignore it and go about your vacation? Are you doing Disney a favor? Or are most managers/supervisors just annoyed to hear this type of feedback about a coworker?

What would Walt Do?

-Tara

I have been tempted to complain about bad attitudes and poor service. Not ever in Disney, however. What always crosses my mind first when faced with this situation is "What is Really wrong with that person?" " How difficult is their life ?" Not that this is an excuse for poor behavior, it's just that their poor behavior is usually relative to their life and present state of mind. People walk through life with many different issues and eveyone occassionally has a bad day. When I think about this, I never fail to count my blessings and hope for the best for the angered individual.

We tried to complain but couldn't find anyone qualified to take the comment. Everyone was passing the buck. What happened was that I was in a wheelchair on the platform for disabled guests in back of a preshow theater. Three very tall and large people pushed their way in and stood in front of an elderly couple one of whom was in a wheelchair. My husband complained to 2 CMs and specifically requested they ask these people to move to the regular area as they weren't with any of the disabled guests. The CMs ignored the request, and these people pushed their way through the wheelchairs and sat in the back by us. On our way out of the theater they rammed into my husband and chair sending us both into the wall. My arm which was on my arm rest was jammed into the corner of a railing and began bruising immediately.
If the CM had politely asked them to move to their area this would not have happened. Of course there was no one who would claim to be a supervisor, and we got sent place to place until we decided it was wasting our touring time and gave up. In no other place would the employees get away with being so uncaring or unhelpful in an instance like this. It was so uncharacteristic of CMs and a very disappointing experience.

When we were there last Novemeber we were getting on the tram back to the parking lot, I put my family on the tram turned to get the stroller and it took off without me. At the first stop my DH told the CM they left me behind. They CM found this very amusing. DH and I didnt. Then next day we returned to MK to complain. They were not helpful at all. When i got home I emailed Disney with my complaint. I felt this was very dangerous. What if only my children were on and one of us didnt make it before it took off. My children would have been alone. Disney did call me and told me they would look into it. Dont really know if they ever did. But they seemed a little more concerned then the CM at the parks. Michelle

I would have complained to the manager about the driving bit. And I would have been watching for it to occur again. If so, I would have asked for whoever's supervisor again. The trash, probably not.

I would have also complained about the people standing in the wrong place in the handicapped access area.

And DON"T even get me started on reckless driving of the tram. My hubby would have gone ballistic if that had happened to him, and probably would have been worse if I had been left behind. THat doesn't even get me going on what MY reaction would have been. I would have asked for the transportation manager then and there, and would have written a very direct letter stating how dangerous it was.

I know that experiences like we've had are not the norm, because I've been to Disney 7 times, and this was the only time I had a negative experience. I think they aren't there for you when something legitimately goes wrong. They're trained not to take responsibility and open Disney up for lawsuits which makes sense, but it should be tempered because their lack of action could also expose them to lawsuits.

The tram would've made me mad, too. They're supposed to be on the lookout for children separated by accident from their parents, not causing it.

The first time we took our DS to WDW he was 18mnths old, so when he napped in the stroller, we would go to shows etc, things my DS would not really have kept still for. I cant remember now exactly what ride we lined up for at MGM, but i do know strollers could be pushed on. When it came to our turm the CM said we could not take the stroller on, we had to wake our child. We had spoken to another CM earlier who told us to go on that particular ride 'because' we could take on our DS in the stroller! When we told this other CM what we had been told earlier, she was so rude and became angry when i questioned her on her manager etc. People were watching.
We went to get a drink & told the server what had happened. In a couple of minutes the park GM came over with a security guard to hear what had gone on. When i had told her what had been said and how we had been treated, she said she would take the matter seriously and compensated by giving us VIP passes for the whole day in that park!. It was great, every CM that day made us feel wonderful, special. That was the White Glove treatment all right! People were asking who we were!

Well ours was on the bus transportation or better known in our family as a "cow mover."

We had THE RUDEST driver EVER and it was on our first time there! She pulled up to the bus stop going over the curb making everyone freak out and scream on the bus. Big deal we thought..she just cut it too close. Not uh.....she drove like this everywhere, and she even slammed on the brakes each and every time. When we first got on the bus we had to stand and everyone around us told us to hold on...we thought it was kind of funny until they were right. She slammed so hard on the brakes that most everyone was screaming or yelling at her to stop it, and finally at Typhoon Lagoon she came over the loud speaker and screamed at all of us to keep on moving back, because after all how would we like if it we were left here. You know that place on the back door where you cant stand?!? She yelled at us to get down there.

I made a complaint but who knows whatever happened. Funny thing is when I returned home and wrote my trip report, someone who read it had been on the SAME bus!

I complained in Feb. My 13yr old daughter and her best friend were sent to meet me by my friend. They had to go the equivalent of a half block, but turned the wrong way. Finally when they realized that they were lost they asked a mom in the park if they could use her cell phone to call one of us and was told no. Then they went into the 100 yrs of magic sorcerer's gift shop and told the CM they were lost and asked to use the phone. He asked if she had any money, broke a $10 with $2 of change and the rest bills and pointed her toward the pay phone. You can't call a Louisiana cell phone from Orlando for $2!!!

I went to Guest Services to let them know that the girls were lost. They took all info. and asked me to wait for security. When security arrived (10 min later) I was told that there was no paging system and that they didn't close the park for lost teenagers but perhaps a security guard would see them. My friend was almost hysterical.

At first I was mad at the girls because I was scared and we were late for dinner reservations, but when I got to Epcot I complained. I think the CM in the gift shop was terrible for not helping them! If he had even listened to where we were supposed to meet them he could have explained that they were on the correct road but had just turned the wrong way.

13 may seem old, but we had two scared girls on our hands.

I am a CM and once one of my fellow CMs was heard using a very non disney word by a guest. The guest did say something to my manager. Later that CM was councelled for her bad language, she was not dismissed, but she did get in trouble and she left the company not too long after!

The only time we should have complained was when a bus driver smoked the whole trip.

I think WDW takes these things very seriously. They may not seem to respond to your complaints in front of you, but I'm sure the CM will hear about it at an appropriate time and place, as it should be. Everyone had a bad day and is entitled to a second chance, but I just don't repeat offenders staying on too long.

There are just too many people who would like to work at WDW for them to keep problem employees.

Danareed-
13 really doesn't sound too old to be afraid to me. I have two 13 year olds and they would both be terrified if they got lost at WDW or any place else for that matter. I would be freaking out too. I don't think that the park should have been so laid back about looking for them. I lost my DS3 (now 6) at Epcot in the place that has Body Wars a few years ago & told at least 2 CM's in my paniced state that he was gone and they did NOTHING! Didn't close the door , didn't help look, NOTHING! Luckily I found him....he was hiding. He had climbed inside one of the exhibits and was being quiet playing hide & seek. There was a woman who could clearly see him from where she was using the thingy he was in & I know she heard me & my DH, when he got off the ride, calling him and she too said NOTHNG.
I was so relieved to find him that I didn't think to complain until much later and then I just let it go, but since I've kicking myself for not finding out their policy on lost kids.

The best advice I can give, is remember this is their "job". I am sure not everyone loves their job all of the time. Little things tend to frustrate people if them do them day in and day out. I do also believe that some things are uncalled for (eg. smoking on the bus). Just maybe step back and look at the whole situation. I am not saying that people don't have a right to get angry, just looking at it the other way.

When I was there in 1997, we stopped in a MK restaurant to cool off a bit. It was very, very, very hot. My mother was real overheated. A CM came over and wanted to sweep under the table and asked my mother to move her feet. My mother who had just sat down told him he could sweep under the table when she left. Well I went outside right after that and the CM came out (on a break?) and started talking to another CM about my mother. I heard everything he said. I went up to him and said "you know you are talking about my mother." He said he was not, he was talking about another lady from another day. NOT. What a coincidence that this just happened. I wanted to complain but my mother said to let it go (even though she was angry also). Needless to say my parents have not gone back to Disney since then. It took me a few years to go back also. I would complain now. You are paying top dollar to be in that park. If it was not for the consumer in the park, the CM's would not have a job.

I should have but I didn't.My DS who was 3 at the time had fallen aslepp in his stroller.We were waiting on the bus to go back to DXL and I said to the cast member standing at the bus that I would wait on the next one as the bus that was there was standing room only.He told me to get my son out the stroller and hold him while standing on the bus.I refused.He is a big boy and very heavy.He said wake him up then and he can stand!!I was horrified and so were the people around me.
I stood back and asked those around me to go ahead if they wanted to stand.
The worst of it was that there was another bus at the side of the one already there.I told the CM that I was not happy with his attitude,he shrugged his shoulders at me.
In the three times I have been to WDW that was the one and only time a CM has upset me.

During our stay at POR last November my husband experienced a very unhappy/rude employee at the food court. He called & explained what had happened, he was promised a call back from the manager; we didn't get the call until 2 days later, he told us to stop by the restaurant for breakfast. We did, all he did was placate us with an apology & stick us with a breakfast bill that we would normally not have spent $ on... we mistakenly thought his invitation was for a "complimentary apology" meal.. it wasn't... I felt as if he could have cared less..just kept saying she was a displaced employee from the then closed POFQ.. So she should have been unhappy that she wasnt' laid off instead???

One of the reasons we decided to stay offsite this year at HIFS... if you are paying the price to stay on site there should be something to justify it.. no early entry.. the boats to DD were stopped at the time...the ONE time I decided to take the bus vs my car to WDW it ended up taking me 1 hour to get there!!

Still lovin' the magic though!!!

Christine

HIFS 10/02
POR 11/01

We've reported several CMs that provided us excellent guest service. One CM even recognized us on a repeat visit & thanked us because what we wrote was in his personnel file!

On the other hand we have also reported CMs who have not provided a magical experience. We may not see the results, but I felt confident that the CM would be spoken to.

I didn't acutally have to report the CM, because his luck was out and his manager witnessed the entire event!! Have you ever seen someone turn gray in front of you?? lol

I was in the Christmas store in Liberty Square with my dd then aged 2. I collect ornaments so was looking at some very nice, glass ornaments ?radko. My dd was next to me, looking at the ornaments but not touching them. A woman rear ended me with her double stroller causing me to drop 2 ornaments. They broke everywhere. A store CM stormed over and began to berate both myself and my dd (aged 2), for breaking store items, being irresponsible etc.. That I would have to pay. That I should not be allowed or my child allowed into nice stores. He was extremely rude, and attacked me personally. Over walks a CM dressed very nicely, she quitely says the bad CM's name and tells him to please leave the stage area quietely and meet her in an office. He turned quite gray, said but but and walked out. This wonderful manager CM said she saw the whole thing. Realised it was not my fault and was sooo apologetic over the entire episode. My dd was now crying and I had been very embarassed. Well she did not have to do it. I knew it was the other cm acting out, but she gave me a wonderful box set of glass ornaments. She even let me pick (princesses they are AWESOME), far more expensive than what I planned to buy (I told her this, but she said that they wanted me to have them). She also gave my dd a small stuffed Minnie Mouse ornament and a coupon for free ice cream. The CM I reported that day, the wonderful manager who saved the day and prevented me from shaking and fuming for the rest of my stay.

That is wonderful!! Wow - there are a few Tinkerbell items I'd gladly get berated by a CM for!!
Someone I workd with went a few years back with their then 4 yo DD... at the food area in the Contemporary, I believe, DD was having a bit of a meltdown when she ran her head right into the corner of a counter.. the CM's ran right over & were VERY concerned, getting ice, etc... Clearly it was dd's fault but when they returned to their room that evening there was a basket full of gifts with a note from the manager... How nice they thought! For the next THREE days there were stuffed animals, t-shirts, pins, etc... They finally called & said to STOP!!! DD was getting too SPOILED!!

Christine

We were in WDW this past March. We had written an important number down on a piece of paper & left it next to the bed on the night stand. After we came back to our room the next day (house keeping had been there) the paper was gone. We looked around for it but couldn't find it. So we called housekeeping to ask if there was someplace in the room they may have put it that we didnt think to look, or is we could speak to the person who cleaned our room & ask if they saw it. Well, the person on the phone proceeded to tell me that they probably threw it out & I was welcome to look in the dumpster for it. Needless to say, I was appalled. But-- we were in Disney world so we let it slide. On the last day of our stay-- our check out day-- we decided to go play a round of miniature golf over at blizzard beach. When we were done we waited for the bus. We were waiting for over 20 minutes & then we saw a security guard & asked him to please radio to the bus & have them come right away(after all we had to get back to check out & we had left ourselves enough time but the clock was ticking) After another 40 minutes-- YES 40!! We saw busses for EVERY OTHER resort come and go 2 or 3 times-- our bus still hadn't come. We saw the same security guard again & he actually drove us back to the resort because we had waited for so long. At this point we were FUMING! So we walked into the looby & asked to speak to the manager. We told her the whole bus story (& the fact that it wasnt the 1st time we waited for the bus) & the story about the housekeeping. All she did was weakly apologize & give us an address to write to when we got home. I really felt that she couldve handled it much better. I felt that many other managers in the same position would have done anything in their power to make the customer happy. We even told her that because of this incident we didnt think that we would return to the hotel. Still, just a weak apology & an address.
When we got home we recieved a post card in the mail asking us to go online & fill out a survey about the services at the hotel. I went online, & filled it out-- in complete detail- it took me over 45min. I left my email address & everything, figuring that someone would write back to at least apologize for all of the trouble. Nothing ever came. We still love WDW & we're going back but we're not going to stay at that resort & to tell you the truth we were really dissapointed, you know- you're there in the magic & then some rude behavior ruins it for you. So -- after all of my getting that off my chest, to answer your question-- Yes, we did report cast members, but to our knowledge nothing was done about it so I'm not sure that its even worth the aggrivation to go through it. Thanks for the opportunity to vent!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter