Epcot vs. Boardwalk advice needed

wnwardii

DIS Veteran
My friends and I will have one day in Epcot. We are eating at Askerhus for lunch. Since the DIS team gave the Flying Fish a rave review, I had booked an ADR for dinner that evening.

I should mention we are all on the Dining Plan. My friends are on Deluxe and I am on Premium. So I know that Flying Fish would be 2 TS for my friends.

My issue is that I know Flying Fish is a signature restaurant outside of the theme park and so we should be dressed a little nicer. Given that we will be in Epcot all day, I don't see us being able to go back to hotels to get changed. Unfortunately we won't know the whether for late October until we get closer to then. So trying to dress for a day at Epcot and somewhat nicer for dinner could be an issue.

The other thing I was concerned with was dealing with coming back into Epcot after walking to/from Boardwalk. Not a big deal, but time that needs to be factored. Where as if we stayed in Epcot, we could use that time to look at more things.

So I have been looking at various restaurant reviews and where I could get an ADR in Epcot World Showcase instead of going to the Flying Fish. Given what I have found, I could get an ADR for Marrakesh, Spice Road Table or even Chefs de France. I am leaning towards Marrakesh since I really have never spent much time at that Pavillion nor eaten there.

The reviews for all of these look good. Suggestions? I know that it ultimately is up to me, but thought I would at least see if people have comments about Marrakesh, Spice Road Table or Chefs de France.

Thanks!

I would still take the Flying Fish over any of the other choices. It is just outside the International Gateway and will not take any more of your time than the others. If the table service credits are the issue, I would opt for Chefs de France. We have always had consistently good meals there.

If the table service credits are the issue, I would opt for Chefs de France. We have always had consistently good meals there.

Thanks for the feedback. The TS credits isn't my main issue. It is more of the "dress code". I know that if you go to a signature restaurant in a theme park, there is a little more leeway on what people can wear. But with Flying Fish being at the Boardwalk, I was a little more concerned about that. I had thought about Chefs de France, since I love French food. But the times for there are not as good, either at 5:10 (5 minutes after a FP+ time slot in Norway) or at 7:50. Unless we can time it so we wouldn't have to move to see Illuminations I guess the 7:50 wouldn't be a bad option.

a little nicer.

I think the key here is "a little." Don't overthink it. Are you walking around in cut-offs and a muscle shirt with marijuana leaves on it? If not, you'll be okay with dress code. A clean polo and cargo shorts is just fine.

As the above poster mentioned, all you would need is a polo and bermuda. You may be able to wear jeans the whole day with a polo and be fine depending on the weather. The walk to and from the international gateway would be 5-10 minutes. I always stay at the Boardwalk, so I'm used to that walk. If you did want to stay in Epcot for dinner, I would suggest Chefs de France. That is one of my favorite restaurants in the World Showcase.

Between the 3 EP restaurants you've listed, I highly recommend Spice Road Table. We've eaten there several times and the food and drinks are excellent and the servers are SO nice. We just ate there on Aug. 29 and our server told us that he typically bartends and doesn't wait tables. He quickly picked up on the fact that my DH was interested in unique liquors from around the world and started bringing him different drinks to sample from Lebanon, Morocco, Greece, etc. (He didn't charge us for any of these samples!) He even made him his "signature" cocktail that wasn't on the menu. It was just a great, personal dining experience. It's also a lovely restaurant with a wonderful atmosphere. You can either sit inside or out on the terrace.

We aren't fans of Chefs. I found the food overly salty. And we've never had good experiences with the food at Marakkesh. If available, you may want to consider Monsieur Paul as well. The food and service are outstanding and you wouldn't have to walk all the way to the Boardwalk for that signature dining experience.

Don't overthink it. Are you walking around in cut-offs and a muscle shirt with marijuana leaves on it? If not, you'll be okay with dress code. A clean polo and cargo shorts is just fine.
Yeah, that is one problem I sometimes have - I over think things. I started laughing trying to think of myself walking around anywhere with cut-offs and a muscle shirt with marijuana on it. :rotfl2:Visions of the 70's and 80's come to mind real quickly.

As the above poster mentioned, all you would need is a polo and bermuda. You may be able to wear jeans the whole day with a polo and be fine depending on the weather.
I had already mentioned to my friends about wearing a shirt with a collar vs. a t-shirt. I have no problem walking around all day with a collared shirt. My friends and I are doing the California Grill the day before, but since I am staying at the Contemporary they could probably drop off a change of clothes if they needed to.

@DisneyWishes14 Thank you for the feedback on the restaurants. My last time at Chefs was probably in the late 90's. I recall liking it, but could not tell you what I had. I am sure that it has changed in over 15+ years. Monsieur Paul had availability around the same times as Chefs and I had thought about that as well. Appreciate it!

... My issue is that I know Flying Fish is a signature restaurant outside of the theme park and so we should be dressed a little nicer.
Thanks!

The newly remodeled Flying is definitely much more elegant than the previous design. Lot's of crystal fishes, white table cloth, dark ambiance, etc. Clearly Disney choose to step things up a notch on the fancy schmancy scale.

That being said, I don't believe they have a dress code, other than resort casual. I believe Disney's criteria for resort casual is, "if you can pay, we'll seat you!"

The Flying Fish has always been a great restaurant. The food (and wine selections) are as good, if not arguably better, as well as a tad bit fancier. Don't worry too much about how you look, as I'm sure there will be a guy with an I'm With Dopey shirt, cargo pants and flip-flops sitting (not far enough) away from you.

If you're interested, here's my review of the Flying Fish.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/the-all-new-flying-fish.3533437/

Honestly, under dress code t shirts are actually okay, so long as they're, like, tasteful-ish. Refer back to my post about Mary jane shirts. :rotfl2:

Resort casual works. If you're mostly clean, mostly sober (to start) and mostly in good taste, they'll seat you. Sure, the couple next to you may be on a date and be fancier, but that happens all over the world and everyone copes.

Don't worry. Whatever you're wearing, you'll feel like you're over-dressed. Any dress codes at sigs went out the window (thanks Dining Plan) a while ago. You're likely to see t-shirts, caps worn backwards, etc..

From experience at the Flying Fish, I can tell you that, if you're dressed in nice shorts and a polo shirt, with decent looking footwear, you will be more than welcome there. I think they frown on "wife beater" shirts and cut-off jeans, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter