Epcot Input Requested

glassslippergirl

DIS Veteran
When Disney announced an end to Illuminations, we decided to use 3-day passes we had on our account to start saying our good-byes. As DS6 doesn’t really live Epcot, we had planned to upgrade to PH and go to Epcot each night. But I couldn’t get to Orlando before today, and with the new pricing structure, upgrading to PH will be cost prohibitive. So we need a new plan. We can’t decide, so I’m seeking input on which day to reschedule for an Epcot day.

Here’s the current plan. We will be taking two weekend trips to use our 3 days:

Sat. 11/24 currently scheduled as MK day with FP for Splash, Thunder, and HM

Fri. 11/30 currently scheduled for DHS with FP for AS2, Star Tours, and ToT

Sat 12/1 currently scheduled for AK with FP for Navi, EE, and KS. There are EMH this day, and we will RD FoP.

FoP is DS’s favorite ride, so we are leaning against changing the AK day. So that leaves changing our MK day (which is the Sat. after Thanksgiving, but has a lot of fave rides for DS) or our DHS day (not our fave park, but we’ve not seen Toy Story land).

Thank you for your input.

ETA: upgrading or changing the tickets in any way will require bridging to the new ticket system, is ridiculously expensive, and not an option.

Last edited:
Wow. It is hard for me to change any of that, especially when we don’t care much for Epcot or illuminations. Families grow and I guess it’s more important to ask if saying goodby to illuminations is worth skipping another park entirely. I guess it depends how often you get there. HS will be a little more fun in a year when Star Wars land is open+TSL+mickeys runaway train is open. Plus DSwill be a year older and love the big rides like ToT and RnR more.

Since your purpose in using your passes is to visit Epcot and see Illuminations, you should of course do that and try to make the day in Epcot as enjoyable for your DS as possible. Perhaps visit some of his favorite characters, ride his favorite ride more than once, see Turtle talk, give him lots of time to play in the areas after the rides without rushing, have some favorite snacks, play a round of that Agent P adventure, etc. As to which park to skip this time, I assume you will be back again some time, so there is really no bad answer. Toy Story Land would be cool to see, but is small with only two new rides. If you would have a better time at Magic Kingdom I would go there. There is just a lot more to see and do there. If you have been many times and really want to see something new stick with DHS. Whatever you do you will have a great time and you can always catch the other park next time, perhaps after Star Wars land opens?

Are your tickets 3 single day passes or one 3-day pass? If the latter, don't you need to use them within a certain period of time? And if they are a 3 day, why don't you add a 4th day to get EP? If not an option, I would drop DHS. However, if you are into Christmas, then you might consider dropping AK as all the other parks have Christmas stuff available at them

Epcot is our kids least favorite park, so we are changing things up this time (we were going to skip Epcot till we found out the Spaceship Earth is going to be changed). We decided we'll snack our way through the World by getting a meal in each country to share. Plus they like pin trading and that's easy/fun to do in EP as well

Are your tickets 3 single day passes or one 3-day pass? If the latter, don't you need to use them within a certain period of time? And if they are a 3 day, why don't you add a 4th day to get EP? If not an option, I would drop DHS. However, if you are into Christmas, then you might consider dropping AK as all the other parks have Christmas stuff available at them

It sounds like tickets are the 14 day use ones before the new ticket structure, so they should be good since they will use within 8 days.

I think Saturday, 11/24, will be busy. I wouldn't change my MK day. I don't think you will be able to get decent FP replacements. AK is always busy now, especially Pandora. So, I definitely wouldn't modify that day. Since you have seen TSL at DHS, I would switch that day up to Epcot. Epcot is doing some special holiday food booths and holiday presentations in World Showcase at the time. We particularly like the holiday story tellers that they have in the countries.

EDIT: Misread. You have NOT seen TSL at DHS yet. How much do you guys really like Illuminations? I like it, but I can see a 6 year old preferring TSL way more.

It sounds like tickets are the 14 day use ones before the new ticket structure, so they should be good since they will use within 8 days.

They are FL resident 3-day tickets. They expire six months after first use or by Dec. 17, 2018. (They will be used up by 12/1.) If we change the tickets in any way, we have to bridge to the new system. In addition to the cost of adding PH or another day, we would only have 4 days to use our 3 park days— but we need 8 days to do this as we are making two weekend trips. To upgrade further to extend the expiration date is $89 per ticket, which is not going to happen. Thus, we need to make this choice. #firstworldproblems

Hmmm. Unless you need to see all of Illuminations, you can view the fireworks from the Boardwalk area. That way you could stay out of Epcot, use your 3 days as planned, but still experience at least the fireworks part of Illuminations.

I would drop DHS out of those choices and slide Epcot in on that day, UNLESS you want to see JBJB AND you have another chance to see Illuminations before it is retired.

If it were me, I'd ditch DHS because:
  1. It's my least favorite park of the four
  2. Toy Story Land doesn't look all that amazing to me, and it isn't going anywhere
  3. DHS won't be a "must do" for me until Galaxy's Edge opens anyway
But I'm not traveling with kids who might prefer Toy Story Land over IllumiNations, so that has to be a factor too.

You've already said that AK needs to remain as is, and with a 6-year old I wouldn't want to skip MK. So my vote would go to swapping Epcot for HS.

I would also skip DHS. It is still a half a park as far as I am concerned, and will continue to be so until Galaxy's Edge opens. No way I would skip MK, and you've already ruled out skipping AK (which I agree with, Pandora is lovely, and FOP is an amazing ride). Skip DHS, and spend one full day at Epcot. Enjoy seeing Illuminations before it is gone.

I'm probably the only person that would skip MK in favor of Epcot, but I'd do it every time, and some of our favorite rides are at HS, so I wouldn't skip that one either. With kids along that gets more complicated of course. I'd ask your son (assuming it's not a surprise) which one he'd rather do.

We are in a similar situation this November. Can only see 3 parks, so had to choose. We are going to skip HS and wait to see it until after GE has opened. Actually, we are probably looking forward to Epcot most of all out of the 3 other parks. Can't wait to see Illuminations with the special Holiday ending, enjoy the Candlelight processional and story tellers, etc. We have 6 kids aged 4-14, and they all love Epcot...never understand when people say that Epcot is boring for kids. We have found the complete opposite to be true!!

Have fun :)

If the only reason you want to go to Epcot is for Illuminations you should try just watching them from outside the park. There’s a nice veiw from the bridge outside International Gateway, you can take a boat from HS and watch from there?

Based on what you said, i would drop the HS day. You said its your least favorite park.
If you really want to see Illuminations, i wouldn't miss that just to see TSL.

Disney announced in September that Illuminations would end sometime in the second half of 2019, after summer. It will be replaced by a new show the next night.
There are 2 rumors going around. One, the final show that replaces illuminations starts then, the other that an interim show will be at EPCOT for about a year before the final show arrives. Not enough information out there to know what will happen.

I would skip HS and add EP. Toy Story land doesnt look that great and it appears you do not have a Slinky Dog FP. See Illuminations. In my opinion Disney will never have a show that great again, differant and wowing , yes. But not as good as Illuminations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter