Epcot Closings!

Dznefreek

DIS Veteran
Here is someting for the Rumor Board to ponder:

It seems the recent closing of Epcot due to an electrical fire was not as large a problem as WDW executives thought it would be. They thought the other parks would be overrun with guests, thus leading to the added hours and shows.

It seems they did not take into account the fact that people (traveling seniors) who were going to Epcot would not necessarily opt to visit "family" parks.

It seems the impact on the other 3; (MK, DAK, and MGM) was minimal and now something that has been talked about since 9/11 may come to pass. COMPLETELY closing Epcot several days a week. My guess would be Tuesday - Thursday.

When questioned as to why you would close the park with the second highest attendance in Florida it was stated that MGM is quickly closing in on Epcot's attendance figures and would soon pass it.

Other discussions included a discount ticket to just the countries in the evening and completely closing FW. The majority of the parks revenue comes from WSC, (food, alcoholic beverages, deserts, etc.)

Thoughts, comments. . . .

I think that would greatly anger lots of people, and certainly the people paying big bucks and DVC members staying at Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach, Beach Club Villas, and the Swan and Dolphin, most of them because they like being so close to EPCOT!

I have to say that I have heard some outlandish things on this board over the last several years but this one takes the cake. It is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life. Epcot makes a profit everyday it is open all year long to close it several days a week would cause the company to lose money for maintence and utilities for each day it is closed.

Boy, if they shut down that park during the week, it would really eliminate a lot of good food choices. I'd say that it is a little out there to expect disney will do something like this. Lots of lost profits would occur as a result of this!

I think it would also eliminate a lot of guests, period. Us included.
Well, the bright side. Look at all the money I would save. :)

COMPLETELY closing Epcot several days a week. My guess would be Tuesday - Thursday.

I'm sorry but
lol.gif
That's the funniest thing I've herd on these boards for a while. Thanks for the good laugh.

Remember: "Park Hours and attractions are subject to change without notice."

Yeah....and.......

Bull-oney.

They'd lose more money closing epcot than they would keeping epcot open - they make money off of the restaurants.

Big breath time people – you ain’t going to like the rest of this year.

This idea has been discussed several times in the past, well before 9/11. At the time Orlando thought that the huge negative publicity would have devastating impact on future bookings that would far outweigh any cost savings rotating closings would achieve.

In the aftermath of 9/11 the plans were again advanced and most people assumed they would be put in place. There are lots of rumors swirling about why it didn’t happen (most involve phone calls from a certain political family about “keeping things normal” in Florida). But while the fear of travel could not stop WDW – California Adventure and ABC can.

There are “rumors” that the attendance decline at California Adventure is now in the double digit range. The discounts have not helped, the concert series isn’t even attracting annual passholders, and the even the one day park hoppers are getting only marginal interest. The park itself is at the limit of operational cuts that can be taken without shutting it down for two or three days a week. The place is a serious drag on the earnings fo the entire Attractions division and something has to be done to keep the numbers going (and Studios-Paris isn't helping one dime either).

ABC is the anchor that’s dragging down the entire company. The network is the only one of the six networks to show a DECLINE in their pre-season ad buy. That “big ad sale” they touted early in the summer was a stunt for Wall Street. It turns out that the total package of air time was sold at about discount over the rates from last year. And about half the ad time sold was for ESPN, Lifetime and other Disney cable assets – not for ABC. With the very weak reception the fall schedule has been receiving, most people are now expecting very steep losses from ABC for the foreseeable future. Since Disney has always used the parks to bail out other divisions – guess who is told to dig even deeper in its pockets.

Okay – I hear the howls from the east already. “Why not shut down DCA and leave us alone!!” Simple logic – DCA is a one day visit. Shutting the place down saves costs, but then people don’t buy tickets for that day either. WDW, however, comes as a package deal. People have already bought their tickets and already have their hotel rooms. Disney still gets the money even if one of the parks is closed. And the people still have to eat. A closed park simple makes people fill up other restaurants that are going to be open anyway. So, a closed WDW park savings a ton of operating expense, but doesn’t loose that much revenue.

Besides from Disney’s point of view people will no doubt rationalize park closings as quickly as they have rationalized loss of early entry, early closings, and all the other cuts that have been made in the past. I’m sure that we’ll see postings that say “I don’t go all four parks in the same day so it won’t bother me – it just takes planning and people who think otherwise don’t love the Magic® like us good people do”. The Company assumes those loyal to the brand won’t mind, again. Still, many believe the constant nibbling at WDW has already done its damage. The current soft attendance has more to do with the perceived loss of value in a trip to WDW more than the economy or fear.

P.S. – On the history, Disneyland was closed Mondays & Tuesdays during the winters up until the mid 1980s. There are some days that it doesn’t pay to keep a theme park open which is why Walt looked to Florida and it’s promise of 365 day operation. And the original operating plan for EPCOT Center way back did envisage keeping World Showcase open later for dining and shopping. Why do you think the massive convention hotels were built right next door?

I could see Disney returning to the old DL tradition of closing on Mondays or something as a very last resort ... in DCA, though, not any park at WDW.

My family is planning to stay at BCV is 2004. I WAS planning on buying a length of stay pass for the sole reason that I would be walking distance to EPCOT and would like to go in and out of there as I please. If EPCOT is not going to be open for ONE HALF of my vacation I will just purchase my usual 4 or 5 hopper and use half of it and save the next half for the 2005 vacation.

One wonders how much $$$ Disney is losing by others opting out of the length of stay passes since the hours are cut so short. I know my family has discussed buying length of stayers for summer vacations when the crowds are larger but if you really don't have a minute to spare on "park days", you might as well tough it out for one day instead of spreading it out over several.

MY POINT BEING ('bout time) is: How is Disney MAKING money by cutting hours and now possibly closing EPCOT two to three days a week. Those passes aren't cheap!

...that those who are promulgating this particular rumor have not given one small hint of their sources.

Besides, we're quickly heading toward a season during which Epcot plays a huge role--i.e., Candlelight Processional, with its associated dinner packages.

I would be very, very surprised to find that this rumor has any credibility at all.

When rumors begin with "it seems," the first question to ask is: "It seems to whom?"

Just my two cents.

Joe

Originally posted by Josiah Harper
...that those who are promulgating this particular rumor have not given one small hint of their sources.

I am sure AV can defend himself, but his record on this board as far as the internal operations of the Disney Company go have have always been very accurate. He has sources the rest of us wish we had!

...to Another Voice--I enjoy reading his posts, and take them very seriously--his current response to this rumor is history-based, and does NOT refer to any current rumblings about an imminent Epcot closing.

Hence, my point that NO ONE has referenced any specific source of this outlandish rumor.

Joe

I agree with you 100%, Josiah Harper! :earsgirl:

Having "sources" is no guarantee for anything, and is more apt to possibly get that source into trouble. I certainly would not do that to myself or any of my friends. If this hours cut back happens, you will find out about it in a press release, but I don't think it will happen.

As far as DCA, please remember that EuroDisney was in the red for about its first 5 years. I personally liked DCA and so did my two teen DCs that I took with me. :D

JMHO, of course.

What scares me about AV's post is this.....

you ain’t going to like the rest of this year.

Such 'AV speak' does make me nervous and makes me think he is talking about more than just historical ideas.

However, will all due respect, even the great AV has to be wrong on occasion. Hopefully this is one.

While arguments can be made that it might make sense, I doubt it will happen. However, AV is right to an extent. Most of us would suck it up and plan around the closings. We have the AP's anyway. But would we buy an AP next year if it happened? Well, I never had to think about it before, so even just thinking about it is something Disney doesn't want. Even if we renew, there would be many who wouldn't. Such a change would surely knock everyone down a car - and that would be a strategic, long term mistake for WDW. While short term revenue wouldn't be affected, long term I think such a move would be a problem. If they made such a change I guarantee we will visit the Orlando competition - something we haven't done in 11 years of visiting the Orlando area.

Would Disney be allowed to shutdown the World Showcase,aren't these countries operated and staffed by the actual Country they represent ? Wouldn't that be like the owner of a shopping mall telling its stores they can be open if they want,but we're not going to unlock the enterances ? I just think this rumor is more then just a little far fetched. The trickle down affect of closing Epcot in the middle of the week would be disastrous.

Originally posted by Josiah Harper
...to Another Voice--I enjoy reading his posts, and take them very seriously--his current response to this rumor is history-based, and does NOT refer to any current rumblings about an imminent Epcot closing.

Hence, my point that NO ONE has referenced any specific source of this outlandish rumor.

Joe

The above is true about all Disney rumors. All we have to go on is company history (ie. they made decision A. last year, that means that B. decision might happen this year), and people who have inside sources. Until Disney makes an announcement then obviously this is all just speculation, but to completely rule it out because Disney has made an announcement is pretty silly.

Looking at AV's post, the cuts of the past year really lead to parks being closed on certain days. What more can they cut without closing down a park? Hours have been slashed, EE and E-Ride have been cut, and several rides now operate on reduced schedules. It would appear to me that if management continues their current course, this would be the next logical cut.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter