End of Magical Express

I don‘t believe for a second that Disney will leave us stranded in MCO. My best guess is that they will still collect and distribute luggage to resort, but direct guests to the high-speed rail being implemented in the next year. You would do the train ride to DS, then transit to resort-specific busses from there.

My best guess is that they will still collect and distribute luggage to resort,
I don't think they are doing that right now.
but direct guests to the high-speed rail being implemented in the next year.
No way will there be high-speed rail completed in the next year. They are still in the blue-sky planning stages for this.

Separate luggage delivery between airport and Disney's resorts was discontinued some months ago.

Apparently the benefits to Disney (such as retaining guests on property) have not proven good enough to keep the Magical Express service.

Or the arrangements with Mears and BAGS and the airport authority needed to extend the contract were too unfavorable to Disney.

The airport will see a big jump in vehicular traffic as busloads of guests are replaced with carloads of guests.

Mears has discontinued (or severely cut back) their well known hotel shuttles also although they still offer "towncars" and "limos".

Last edited:
I saw this coming a while ago. From a business perspective this was never done to be a nice perk for guests. It was a way to make it harder to leave property. In the age of ride share services even without a car it is very easy to get an Uber/Lyft off property. The whole business case for ME went out the window and I suspect the ROI calculations no longer made any sense.

I do think you'll eventually see a service to collect bags and take them to the resort because there is demand there but it will be a paid for service, not free.

In most cases, I try to believe Disney has a broader plan that I'm simply not privy to . . . . yet. That wasn't the case when they let Push go from Tomorrowland (RIP), but in most cases we walk away still happy with Disney. I'm positive they have all kinds of analysis and studies, but I can't help but wonder if we will see unintended impacts such as increased traffic as people rent or hire individual rides themselves, or as they take the opportunity to venture out to the other Orlando attractions. On the other hand, maybe it decentralizes the crowd as people do go to the other places, making the parks a little less crowded (not sure I've really talked myself into this comment).

Regardless, it seems to me Disney is less worried about "magic" than they are turning a dollar lately. The Magic Bands were "sold" to us as our new ticket and also an attractive souvenir, now we will pay for them. Replacing magic hours with a magic 30 minutes . . . . . nope.

I think most people would have absorbed a modest fee for MDE rather than see it go away; the convenience of knowing Disney had us in their magic bubble would have been worth it. There's gotta be more to this story.

In most cases, I try to believe Disney has a broader plan that I'm simply not privy to . . . . yet. That wasn't the case when they let Push go from Tomorrowland (RIP), but in most cases we walk away still happy with Disney. I'm positive they have all kinds of analysis and studies, but I can't help but wonder if we will see unintended impacts such as increased traffic as people rent or hire individual rides themselves, or as they take the opportunity to venture out to the other Orlando attractions. On the other hand, maybe it decentralizes the crowd as people do go to the other places, making the parks a little less crowded (not sure I've really talked myself into this comment).

Regardless, it seems to me Disney is less worried about "magic" than they are turning a dollar lately. The Magic Bands were "sold" to us as our new ticket and also an attractive souvenir, now we will pay for them. Replacing magic hours with a magic 30 minutes . . . . . nope.

I think most people would have absorbed a modest fee for MDE rather than see it go away; the convenience of knowing Disney had us in their magic bubble would have been worth it. There's gotta be more to this story.

I think you may see evening EMH replaced with hard ticket after hours access with limited availability similar to what they had at MK a few years ago.

I think you may see evening EMH replaced with hard ticket after hours access with limited availability similar to what they had at MK a few years ago.
I agree - and of COURSE - PAY EXTRA for it!

Hate to say it, but the jokes about pay toilets, and paying for toilet paper, and maybe even for fresh air to breathe are becoming less and less funny, and more and more believable, IMHO. And it makes me incredibly sad. :(
I said the same thing about flying years ago, when I used to love to fly. Now those times are distant memory for me. Flying became a chore to "get over with" instead of a fun part of the overall adventure.

The end of Magical Express makes me want to get to WDW in 2021 after all (IF and only if I ever get my vaccine). I feel like I need to see WDW once in my life and wanted to experience ME. I have kept putting it off because of crowds, expense, weather, etc. I came very close a few years ago but had a death in the family. We also came very close to making it this fall, but I felt the capacity was rising much too quickly and we canceled. And also there is the perpetual waiting for construction to be finished which is a delusion you just have to give up.

LOL, sometimes it stresses me out, like I need to go and get it over with to say I have done it and seen it. I enjoy DL very much and other Disney properties like Hilton Head, which I consider an absolutely beautiful resort.

Speaking as an outsider, things like Magical Express was a HUGE, HUGE draw. The cheapest flights to DL are out of LAX, and the traffic and rental cars out of there are STRESSFUL. I usually put down the extra coin to fly into Long Beach. Magical express was part of the luxury and immense value of a WDW vacation. It really is a blow to the whole facade of a Disney resort experience. It's a blow to the idea of a bubble. Like the whole luggage thing (which was already taken away), and then the idea of at bus waiting a the door of MCO was very appealing, it added significant value to the price tag.... anyways I gotta come and get my one and done in I guess in 2021.

Last edited:
So, Pete often talks on the Dis Unplugged about how Disney has sometimes responded to consumers and changed policies based on demand. Do you think there's something to be done about the plan to remove Magical Express? How do people go about telling Disney what they think about policies/plans/changes? What kinds of "protests" have worked in the past?

Yeah, I'm now boycotting Disney World because of this.
I don't have a license, or drive, due to medical reasons. So, renting a car is not an option for me.
I'm a solo traveller (for the foreseeable future), so it's not like I can rely on friends or family to do the driving.
I don't feel safe using a taxi/uber/lyft service, and I can't justify the cost for those, either.

One of the few remaining Disney World perks (for me) was the free transportation to/from the airport and around the resort area.
With the airport transportation being eliminated, and the whole "light rail" thing being years away from actually happening, I see no reason to return to that park.

Of course, as mentioned on the show, Disney keeps taking stuff away and not offering any substitutes, or any incentives in return. Those cutbacks already made another Disney World trip very unlikely for me. But this is the last straw for me. If they don't bring DME back, or offer some new, damn good transportation option(s) going forward, I won't be going back to Disney World. It's just not worth it, anymore.

I seriously hope they have a plan they just haven’t announced yet. It certainly feels like they don’t care when theytake something a way and no word they are even working on a replacement
Yeah, I'm now boycotting Disney World because of this.
I don't have a license, or drive, due to medical reasons. So, renting a car is not an option for me.
I'm a solo traveller (for the foreseeable future), so it's not like I can rely on friends or family to do the driving.
I don't feel safe using a taxi/uber/lyft service, and I can't justify the cost for those, either.

One of the few remaining Disney World perks (for me) was the free transportation to/from the airport and around the resort area.
With the airport transportation being eliminated, and the whole "light rail" thing being years away from actually happening, I see no reason to return to that park.

Of course, as mentioned on the show, Disney keeps taking stuff away and not offering any substitutes, or any incentives in return. Those cutbacks already made another Disney World trip very unlikely for me. But this is the last straw for me. If they don't bring DME back, or offer some new, damn good transportation option(s) going forward, I won't be going back to Disney World. It's just not worth it, anymore.
Mears has said they will continue so ideally you will still have a shuttle option simile to DME but it will cost $. I drink the Disney Koolaid so we like being on property, we trust Disney and pay more for them to take care of us. What I don’t like is now needing to rely on another company. It makes things more complicated and that’s just not a good guest experience.

I seriously hope they have a plan they just haven’t announced yet. It certainly feels like they don’t care when theytake something a way and no word they are even working on a replacement

They are announcing the cancellation a full year in advance. I don't think they know if and with what they will replace ME so they wouldn't have anything to announce at this point. If they do decide on a replacement I'm sure it will be announced at that time.

If there was a package for them to take care of the luggage and we could hop on the light rail to Disney Springs, I'd pay extra for that if I could get to my hotel in 45 mins. Plus it would introduce a lot of people to Disney Springs that might not otherwise consider it if they were whisked right to their hotel using Magical Express. As much as I love Disney, you know they'll find a way to make money of this change rather than allowing one of the other transportation providers to take a customer that was kind of already theirs. One question I would have is the branding/experience - Disney doesn't want their customers' first experience off the plane to be subpar.

Very disappointed about the end of this service! When we go, we travel with a family of seventeen. Waiting for luggage and finding transportation will be a bloody nightmare!
Remember that there was a time when Magical Express didn't exist, and we had to take Mears busses to the resorts. Then Disney partnered with Mears and gave the busses a fresh coat of paint. So now we're just returning to a time when ME wasn't there.

If there was a package for them to take care of the luggage and we could hop on the light rail to Disney Springs, I'd pay extra for that if I could get to my hotel in 45 mins. Plus it would introduce a lot of people to Disney Springs that might not otherwise consider it if they were whisked right to their hotel using Magical Express. As much as I love Disney, you know they'll find a way to make money of this change rather than allowing one of the other transportation providers to take a customer that was kind of already theirs. One question I would have is the branding/experience - Disney doesn't want their customers' first experience off the plane to be subpar.

I don't see how you could get to a resort in 45 mins. You would be subject to the schedule of the train which is probably only 1 or 2 an hour, then you have to get from the DS train station to the resort bus station, then wait for your resort bus, shuttle, etc. ..

I think more like 2 hours

I do agree in general though that if there is a luggage service that brings bags to your resort and then you just have to worry about getting yourself there (train, automobile, whatever) that would be a decent alternative

I don't know, every time we used the ME it was pure misery. It literally took 2-3 times longer to get to the resort than if we had just taken an uber or rented a car, and I wished EVERY time that we had just done that! I am truly baffled that people are saying that "the magic is gone" and things like that. For me, after visiting this fall I personally found it to be MORE magical and a BETTER experience. Sure there were some things that could have been better (more quick serve dining options open) but CM were wonderful (we literally go yearly or twice yearly for years and not once did we have a "special" moment with a CM before this fall) and it was pure heaven to not be packed like sardines all over the park. Wait times were low and we didn't miss FP at all. In the end, I look at it like this: they are a private company and can offer or NOT offer what they want. None of us are guaranteed or *deserve* any perks they CHOOSE to give. The cold hard reality is that a global pandemic has had an effect on their bottom line and they have to make choices. Filling parks with local Florida AP holders and vloggers who bring their own food and don't stay in their hotels doesn't pay the bills. If you are over your household budget you make cuts. They made cuts. Unfortunate but true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter