End of Magical Express

2D6F4D7C-39FE-49CB-B576-9C01EA42A412.jpeg
It’s hard not to further wonder why WDW doesn’t want you touching anything before you buy it. Quality has sharply declined.

I don't have a horse in this race as we stay off site, but I would point out that Magical Express has only existed since 2005. It's not like it's been around forever.

We used it once, when we flew in for the DIS 20th anniversary event a few years ago. We waited in line in the terminal for about 15 minutes. Then we boarded the bus and sat there for another 20 minutes waiting for more passengers. What a complete waste of our time. I would never do it again. I'd much rather grab an Uber.
That is true but we should also look at the price increase of Disney resorts from 2005-2021. People will now pay more for less.

Maybe it’s been at least partially buried in the cost of a room since the beginning.
That is true but we should also look at the price increase of Disney resorts from 2005-2021. People will now pay more for less.
Absolutely. The price of the rooms is insane but they've justified it with the perks that were included. Now they're chipping away at the perks but I'm sure the price won't get any lower.

Absolutely. The price of the rooms is insane but they've justified it with the perks that were included. Now they're chipping away at the perks but I'm sure the price won't get any lower.

yeah. I saw someone post some price estimates for uber and other transports from MCO and depending on size you need, if you need car seats, etc. you are looking at like $35-$100 each way. I am sure Disney won't be reducing their costs to stay on property by that amount people will now have to pay

For some that isn't a huge deal - if you are staying to pay at a Deluxe not a huge % increase. But for some that are barely able to swing a Value, have a few kids that need car seats, adding $100+ for transportation is not insignificant

I think those are the ones most impacted. And especially for those with small kids the DME was just so easy - now they need to worry about things like car seats and some people aren't comfortable with Uber, or now have to worry about renting a car and if you do now you have to pay for parking at the resorts.

I don't think it is any one thing that all of sudden totally puts a Disney trip off the table .. but when the costs are so high (moreso if staying on site), it starts to add up and erode the value for some (many?) people

and speaking personally, there is just so much negative going on everywhere and that I see/deal with on a daily basis, Disney is to be a positive thing for me, a break from that negativity. So when it seems like negative announcement after negative announcement - even if it is something that doesn't directly impact me - it just gets frustrating / lessens the "pull" to Disney for me

and speaking personally, there is just so much negative going on everywhere and that I see/deal with on a daily basis, Disney is to be a positive thing for me, a break from that negativity. So when it seems like negative announcement after negative announcement - even if it is something that doesn't directly impact me - it just gets frustrating / lessens the "pull" to Disney for me

It's understandable and since this thread is under the Dis Unplugged forum, I re-watched the team's inputs from Tuesday. I think the line, and I'm paraphrasing, that they keep doing things that we don't agree with but keep going back. From my standpoint, only the pandemic was going to stop us from going to the parks over the past year.

Personally for me, I have an elderly mother that lives about 20-30 minutes from us. For the past several years, I would take her onsite for her birthday. She'll hem and haw about the costs and then once onsite I always hear the same line "there's nothing like Disney". That validates my feelings as well. I don't let this temporary interruption stop my enthusiasm, rather it makes me yearn for more (plus I've never ridden RotR).

It's understandable and since this thread is under the Dis Unplugged forum, I re-watched the team's inputs from Tuesday. I think the line, and I'm paraphrasing, that they keep doing things that we don't agree with but keep going back. From my standpoint, only the pandemic was going to stop us from going to the parks over the past year.

Personally for me, I have an elderly mother that lives about 20-30 minutes from us. For the past several years, I would take her onsite for her birthday. She'll hem and haw about the costs and then once onsite I always hear the same line "there's nothing like Disney". That validates my feelings as well. I don't let this temporary interruption stop my enthusiasm, rather it makes me yearn for more (plus I've never ridden RotR).

It defintiely won't make we not want to go back or anything like that - though I do wonder how much of this is temporary vs what is permanent. Just the pull towards going back is lessened - not extinguished. We are cancelling our trip for late March but definitely not our one for the 50ths on Oct 1st. And things like DME going away (assuming there isn't a replacement) I think may have a big impact on people at the lower end of the price point with staying on property or staying off - not necessaryily not going at all

Who wrote that awful article on wdwinfo.com...terrible take on this situation

Yeha, I think emotions are pobably a bit high now - everyone is probably a bit on edge just due to [looks around] everything ... the reality is probably somwhere in the middle of the spectrum of takes. But that article that seems to imple who cares what DIsney does or takes away, just suck it up and go anyway and say thank you seems a bit much. For the prices they are charging it isn't unrealistic to question things

The article is what it is. Disney made it so much easier on me. I dont see anymore trips to Disney. Instead of getting $12,000 a year on our 2 a year trips ...they get nothing. Will still go to Florida but will avoid orlando completely. We will go to Tampa and ft. Lauderdale. No car rental but use uber. Lots of other things to see in Florida. I want to thank Disney for making this family decision so much easier. No trips to florida until I can fly and visit without a mask.

2023 is an ambitious goal for that line. Not everything for that line is approved yet and that would be really quick even without delays. Realistically if that line still happens we are looking at 2024-25.

I was thinking even later than that. Here in CA, we've been talking about the high speed train for 10+ years, allocated money for it, etc. Yeah, still not done...

I was thinking even later than that. Here in CA, we've been talking about the high speed train for 10+ years, allocated money for it, etc. Yeah, still not done...
Yep. Florida has been talking about it for ages and ages. It's not coming anytime soon.

Who wrote that awful article on wdwinfo.com...terrible take on this situation

I agree, the condescending tone of that article isn't going to change anyone views on this situation. While it is true that Magical Express only started in 2005, the article fails to mention that on-site parking used to be free at Disney hotels. Clearly the author is trying to rationalize the recent Disney changes.

It would have been a much better PR move if Disney was more humble in making the announced changes as 'suspending Magical Express to keep our business healthy during the pandemic...........so we may remain viable in the future'............(or other similar words). Using the rationale that preferences have changed or more people take online taxis doesn't change the fact it drives a cost increase for visitors.

I’d bet all the tea in China DME is getting chopped because it no longer gives TWDC any advantage. Visitors now quickly and cheaply Uber offsite for meals or shopping. There are cheap and easy grocery and shopping delivery services.
Guests are no longer ‘held’ in the bubble by MDE. So it’s no longer worth it for Disney to pretend that they’re trying to make that part of your trip ‘magical’.
BUT they also aren't giving any reason to want to stay in the bubble. Taking away DME and EMH makes no sense. Even if the slump happens after we are all mostly vaccinated, how are you going to entice people to come with no shows, no late-night activities for guests, now no simple transportation to the airport with the luxury of luggage pick up? If they are going to have hard ticket events with an entry at 4pm why would I waste a parking ticket for the morning? It's like they are thinking only about money and stocks and not at all about product and customer satisfaction.

BUT they also aren't giving any reason to want to stay in the bubble. Taking away DME and EMH makes no sense. Even if the slump happens after we are all mostly vaccinated, how are you going to entice people to come with no shows, no late-night activities for guests, now no simple transportation to the airport with the luxury of luggage pick up? If they are going to have hard ticket events with an entry at 4pm why would I waste a parking ticket for the morning? It's like they are thinking only about money and stocks and not at all about product and customer satisfaction.

What the pandemic most likely showed Disney was that families with kids don't know of a lot of alternatives to Disney.

What the pandemic most likely showed Disney was that families with kids don't know of a lot of alternatives to Disney.

Or at the very least Disney made a trip really easy for families and many have take advantage of it and gotten used to it and have come to expect that

Or at the very least Disney made a trip really easy for families and many have take advantage of it and gotten used to it and have come to expect that

I've never used this transport. My significant other didn't want to get trapped on property. But I can see the convenience for large families. But what's your alternative? This transport didn't exist when I visited as a kid in the 80s and 90s, so as an adult, it wasn't something I expected.

For me, I like G Adventures for some international travel. I don't have to worry about driving. But most of their trips aren't for families with kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter