Electrical Parade / Wishes Dessert Party

jenjen212

Just keep Swimming, Just keep Swimming...
Soo, i have been planning a trip to take my cousins on their verrry first trip to WDW, as a gift for graduating college. The whole trip was initially going to be a surprise, but they accidentally found out through one of their parents. Since then, I have been telling them little things here and there, but keeping a lot of stuff secret to still have a surprise for them.

One of them is to have reservations at the Wishes Dessert Party in Magic Kingdom. (http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2009/06/28/wishes-fireworks-dessert-party-photos/) I was able to call yesterday to find out that there was still availability for the night that we are going to be in MK, so I booked it.

The Dessert Party is scheduled for 9pm, as it starts one hour prior to Wishes, for reserved seating for the fireworks. But, I think that is the same time that the Electrical Parade starts. I have seen SpectroMagic and loved it, but never able to see the Electrical Parade.

Has anyone done the dessert party and was able to see the parade from the Terrace? Now, I'm re-thinking my reservations...

The Tomorrowland Terrace is not a very good parade-viewing location, I'm afraid.

If you want to see the parade, that would be better done at a performance that was when you were not
at the Dessert Party.

You will be at a distance of 180-220 feet (2/3 of a football field) from the parade,
with guests standing between you and the parade entries.
I've presented the areas (in blue) that are (somewhat) unobstructed by trees between the Noodle Station and the Hub area.
MK-Hub-BE-W_100509.jpg

Yea... I didn't think so. The map reminded me of everything.

If we had all seen the parade before, maybe I wouldn't feel conflicted like this. But, now, I don't know what to do. :confused3

What would you all do? Should I stay with my reservations (who knows how long they will offer it), or should I just forget it, use the money to get some of those tasty treats somewhere else, and be able to watch the parade too??

Help!

Spectromagic happened twice when I was there a few weeks ago, so maybe you'll be able to see Wishes at 10 pm, then watch the 11 pm parade from a better spot. That's how I'm hoping to do it next weekend.

What would you all do? Should I stay with my reservations (who knows how long they will offer it), or should I just forget it, use the money to get some of those tasty treats somewhere else, and be able to watch the parade too??

I'd try to see another performance of the parade, for sure.
Same or different night.
It runs every night of the Summer at least once, AFAIK.

OTOH, you can buy a LOT of dessert items for the cost of the
Dessert Party, ;)

so it's entirely up to you.

You'll have a blast, no matter what you decide! :wizard:

Spectromagic happened twice when I was there a few weeks ago, so maybe you'll be able to see Wishes at 10 pm, then watch the 11 pm parade from a better spot. That's how I'm hoping to do it next weekend.

ooooh, I am hoping that you are right! I know that they used to show Spectromagic twice in a night sometimes - once before the fireworks, and once afterwards. But, I wonder if they are going to do the same thing with the Electrical Parade?

We will be in MK on Aug 2, I couldn't find if they are showing it twice. But the park is listed to "close" at 11pm. Are you doing the Dessert Party next weekend?

ooooh, I am hoping that you are right! I know that they used to show Spectromagic twice in a night sometimes - once before the fireworks, and once afterwards. But, I wonder if they are going to do the same thing with the Electrical Parade?

We will be in MK on Aug 2, I couldn't find if they are showing it twice. But the park is listed to "close" at 11pm. Are you doing the Dessert Party next weekend?

I checked the calendar for you and it looks like there's only one parade on August 2nd. http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/hours/aug10.cfm?requesttimeout=1000

The dessert party starts at 9:10, so you could watch the parade from the closest point to the Terrace, then head over after the last float has passed. You'd still have 20-30 minutes of dessert eating before the fireworks start and you could just load up your plate as soon as you get here and eat during the fireworks.

I hope you find a way to do both!

just to let you know, you cannot eat and watch the fireworks at the same time. Due to the overhang of the terrace, you have to go to the railing to see them. The tables are just good for the eating portion of the 'party'.

I am in the same situation. We are only going to MK once during our visit and it appears MSEP is only running 1 time on July 10, so I am debating whether to cancel our dessert buffet ressies or just try to see as much of the parade as possible. Our actual reservation is for 9:00 PM so I am afraid to watch the parade first, then head over for fear they will give our table to another thinking we are a no show.

Has anyone had luck with checking into the Noodle Station, then having part of the party leave to view the parade then come back? Not sure what time the parade passes that area, as it has been a while since we sat in that part of MK for the parade.

TIA

Not sure what time the parade passes that area, as it has been a while since we sat in that part of MK for the parade.

If the parade steps off near the Fire Station at the head of Main Street at 9PM (and it will,) then the head of the parade will reach Casey's Corner and the Hub (near the Tomorrowland Terrace) at about 9:12-9:16 PM.
The end of the parade will reach that area about 9:35-9:40 PM.

A look at the Parade Route
MSEP and the 3 O'Clock Parade both start near the Firehouse and exit near Splash Mtn.
MVMCP and MNSSHP Parades both start near Spalsh Mtn. and exit near the Firehouse.

MK_ParadeRoute_092609.jpg

I am in the same situation. We are only going to MK once during our visit and it appears MSEP is only running 1 time on July 10, so I am debating whether to cancel our dessert buffet ressies or just try to see as much of the parade as possible. Our actual reservation is for 9:00 PM so I am afraid to watch the parade first, then head over for fear they will give our table to another thinking we are a no show.

Has anyone had luck with checking into the Noodle Station, then having part of the party leave to view the parade then come back? Not sure what time the parade passes that area, as it has been a while since we sat in that part of MK for the parade.

TIA

you can do that since they band you when you check in and you have to leave the area to get to the bathrooms anyway. All you have to do is show your band to get back in.

Just have the other members of your party get you some plates and drinks so that you do get some desserts.

If the parade steps off near the Fire Station at the head of Main Street at 9PM (and it will,) then the head of the parade will reach Casey's Corner and the Hub (near the Tomorrowland Terrace) at about 9:12-9:16 PM.
The end of the parade will reach that area about 9:35-9:40 PM.

A look at the Parade Route
MSEP and the 3 O'Clock Parade both start near the Firehouse and exit near Splash Mtn.
MVMCP and MNSSHP Parades both start near Spalsh Mtn. and exit near the Firehouse.

MK_ParadeRoute_092609.jpg

Thank you very much - this is the exact info I needed. Amy

I really hope that they do give the Electrical Parade twice when I am there.

I know that the calendar on disneyworld.com shows that this week in MK they are only doing the Electrical Parade once. But, on the SteveSoares site (which I was told is pretty accurate as they get the show times from the park), it shows that they are showing the Parade twice a night this week, except on Wednesdays - Once at 9pm and then at 11pm.

If they are doing that now, I hope they at least continue it til the beginning of August. Guess, I'm gonna have to patiently wait :surfweb: and see if I hear any different news closer to the dates of my trip.

Thanks again for the map! really helpful!!

you can do that since they band you when you check in and you have to leave the area to get to the bathrooms anyway. All you have to do is show your band to get back in.

Just have the other members of your party get you some plates and drinks so that you do get some desserts.

So far from what I've heard... the tables are assigned? and that they continuously bring out more desserts so that you don't have to worry about them running out?? I wonder if this is true... cuz then, maybe we could do what you say. If our table is assigned, then maybe no one could take our table? and then, we won't have to worry about there being no desserts left? (This is me... wishful thinking...)

have you been to the Dessert Party??

or should I just forget it, use the money to get some of those tasty treats somewhere else, and be able to watch the parade too??

Help!

A very good parade watching location with near some rather "tasty treats" is just over the bridge to Liberty Square at "Sleeply Hollow." I highly recommend the ice cream cookie sandwich, my wife prefers the mickey waffle with strawberries and whipped cream and my kids like the funnel cake.

http://allears.net/menu/menu_sh.htm

TIA

Yes, that is exactly what we did.
It sort of worked, but was not perfect.
We all checked in- whole party must be there-you can't pick up a wristband for one member of your party while he saves a parade-viewing spot.
So we all checked in, but then it was 8:45 and didn't have a spot for viewing, and we were near Main street. We just barely got a spot, it was actually pretty good, and watched the parade. I was pretty stressed as it went by, and toward the end of it, I started making my way back toward the Dessert Party, to make sure dessert was still there.

We got to the dessert party around 9:15. Tables were already assigned with your name, so being a little late had no effect on table location.
There was plenty of dessert- we were very well-fed!
THe exception was pistachio creme brulee, which they ran out of before we got there.

Yes, they replenished the desserts- they did it as quickly and frequently as humanly possible. However, the guests took the desserts off the buffet tables as if they were storing calories for the next year. Seriously, the CM's could barely keep up. My impression was that the guests were afraid that they would stop being replenished soon, and so they grabbed them as fast as they could. One table had whole serving platters full of desserts on their table which went uneaten. THis was last year, and I'm hoping that the whole panic-hoarding of desserts has passed, as guests begin trusting that there really is more dessert in the back.

So, anyway, we got to watch the parade, and eat dessert, too, but honestly, I found it stressful enough that I wouldn't do it that way again. So far, all of our trips have been during slower times when spectro was only showing twice a week. But, this year, we are going the week after you, and will take advantage of the more frequent MSEP showings. So we will plan one night to watch the parade from the curb, (and fireworks front and center) and one night to do the dessert party.

We enjoyed the dessert party, but honestly, if I had to choose between seeing MSEP and the party I would choose the parade.

So far from what I've heard... the tables are assigned? and that they continuously bring out more desserts so that you don't have to worry about them running out?? I wonder if this is true... cuz then, maybe we could do what you say. If our table is assigned, then maybe no one could take our table? and then, we won't have to worry about there being no desserts left? (This is me... wishful thinking...)

have you been to the Dessert Party??

yes the tables are assigned with your group name on them. We went on May 21st. The do continue to bring out desserts until right before Wishes starts (approx, we were done eating by then so I didn't time it or anything). What I did was just get a few plates of the stuff my kids would eat and didn't allow them up in the buffet area and then everyone picked from those plates. I didn't spend time observing other tables so I have no idea whether or not a lot of food went to waste and I only made 2 quick trips up to the buffet to get food for the kids so I'm not sure how much people were taking either. Anything we had leftover that portable, we just wrapped up in a napkin and took with us.

I'll be honest. It was an extremely large waste of money. I didn't get to see Wishes very well. I had to worry about the kids climbing up on the railing to see over it. With all the adults crowding the railing I had to bring a chair over for DS4 to stand on to see the fireworks. And feeling like I had to eat enough dessert to make it worth the price, esp when it was so hot and humid, didn't go over well with my stomach.

It was something I was determined to do once and now that we've done it, it's crossed off my list as done and never to do again. LOL

We could of gotten a heck of a lot of desserts and treats for the $120+ it cost for 6 people.

I am beginning to rethink my reservation. I really would like to see the parade and it is only being shown once on July 10, which is the only day we are going to the MK. We are staying at the Poly, so am thinking we are going to see the fireworks a lot. And as others have pointed out - we can get a lot of dessert for the money. Also, I am not even sure my youngest is not going to freak out as soon as the fireworks start.

I may have to call a family meeting to discuss our options tonight. Thanks for all of the insight on this thread.

hmmmmm... these are some of the things that I was worried about.

I am definitely rethinking this now, and not sure what to do - mainly because I am bringing two ppl with me that have never been to wdw before and are going to want to see these things. If I was going with other ppl that have seen the Electrical Parade or at least Spectromagic before and didn't mind missing it, then this decision would be a no brainer. :confused3

We were at Wishes on Monday May 17 and I have to say that we had an excellent night. We stood in line and got our bracelets and then walked back toward Main St to view the SpectroMagic parade. We have 2 children 8 and 6 and had NO trouble finding a spot to view the parade.

The desserts were replenished frequently, and there was no hoarding as mentioned about. Our kids sat on the railing to the left of the photopass photographer and had a PERFECT view of Wishes and got to see Tink close up.

We rated this as one of the best parts of our trip and will book it again without hesitation if they have it on our return trip in March 2011

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter