ECV charging in corridor

We were told the same by both bell services and housekeeping at the Pop. They preferred that we charge it outside the room on the covered walkway. I did it. I was 4 weeks out from a bad knee injury and had never needed an ECV before. I thought they were giving me the correct instruction. This trip it will go in my room at the Boardwalk.

I wonder why bell service would say that. I can understand housekeeping because they don't want the dirty tires making even more of a mess on the floors. I wish there was a better alternative. I also think it is easy for cast members to say to "just leave it outside" since they are not responsible if something happens.

I wonder why bell service would say that. I can understand housekeeping because they don't want the dirty tires making even more of a mess on the floors. I wish there was a better alternative. I also think it is easy for cast members to say to "just leave it outside" since they are not responsible if something happens.

I think that the CMs who say "just leave it outside" don't get the full (potential) ramifications of... leaving it outside. They probably do so thinking that they are being helpful.

Most people who do not have to use a mobility device, or do not have a loved one who does, never consider *anything* about them; they are a fact of life at WDW, but that's about it.

Regardless, Disney's own rules clearly state (as I posted before) that no one is to obstruct sidewalks, hallways, corridors, stairways or landings.

One additional thing I haven’t seen mentioned is that, especially in these times when we have to be extra-careful about spreading illness, I wouldn’t want everybody’s unattended kids putting their grubby, germy little hands and feet all over something I was going to be in close physical contact with all the next day. Getting it in the room is a hassle, but so is wiping the whole thing down with Lysol wipes every morning before use.

At some resorts (okw and all kidani I know for sure) if you push the door hard it will stay open, makes the process super easy.

At some resorts (okw and all kidani I know for sure) if you push the door hard it will stay open, makes the process super easy.

Thanks! I'll be at Kidani next trip, and I'll definitely try that

People kind of do that. I quest if no one complaint about it it’s ok. I would try to get a room not in a main hallway where all things get moved

I always travel with a small doorstop (the old fashioned rubber kind). It comes in handy to prop a door open, or help you feel more secure when you have an adjoining door They are small and weigh very little, fit into a carryon or suitcase.
I also travel with a small doorstop. Last trip I stayed 1 night in the Gran Destino tower and the door was a bit higher off the floor than usual. I purchased a new stop that fits in the crack by the hinges just in case I run into that problem again.

I’m here now at the Poly, and there are ECVs all up and down the hallway. No sweat if that is your thing. i also think it’d be fine inside the room, as they made space for ECV’s or strollers inside the Poly studio by the door.

From this page at Disney World's official website, under "Prohibited Activities":

View attachment 564651

I wish they would enforce this more. But I can see why housekeeping does not want to have to deal with it and say nothing. People are so crazy now that they will go on the attack. Maybe not enough people complain about it for them to feel like they need to enforce it. I would not trust leaving my personal belongings outside. I would worry to much that something would happen to it. I can easily see someone angry with an ECV being out there and vandalize it.

I wish they would enforce this more. But I can see why housekeeping does not want to have to deal with it and say nothing. People are so crazy now that they will go on the attack. Maybe not enough people complain about it for them to feel like they need to enforce it. I would not trust leaving my personal belongings outside. I would worry to much that something would happen to it. I can easily see someone angry with an ECV being out there and vandalize it.

Aside from it being against Disney's rules...

It also creates a lot of negative feelings toward ECV users/owners; there are already people who "hate" scooters at WDW, and wish they could be permanently banned - we don't need anything to help add to that perception.

We have discussed this here before - and it frustrates me to no end when someone comes along and says "Oh, it's OK BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE DID IT". That does NOT make it OK - that does not change Disney's own rules. Regardless of whether Disney enforces it at the Resorts or not (and maybe - just maybe if some of us will start complaining to Resort management when we see this behavior, it will help to get it stopped) it should not be encouraged.

The rule here on the DISBoards has historically and generally been that we don't encourage people do to things that go against Disney's stated, written rules.

/end rant /end soapbox

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter