Eating at Universal vs. Disney

littlejewel

Mouseketeer
I'm used to Disney's make-a-reservation-6-months-in-advance way of dining. But is Universal the same? If so, what popular restaurants should I look at getting a reservation for? We'll be there the week of December 16, if that makes any difference. As this is a last minute trip that wasn't anticipated, I'm not expecting to get all the popular reservations. Just trying to figure out a little game plan as I know absolutely nothing about Universal . . . Thanks for any advice! I. Am. So. Excited. to be at Universal during the holidays!!

You shouldn't have to make reservations for most places. If you want, you can make a reservation a day or two in advance. That being said, there are very few places that don't have walk-up seating during non-peak lunch hours (Mythos was the only one I needed a reservation for, and I was able to get next day easily).

Places in Citywalk can be busy at park closing time, but you should still be able to be seated pretty easily.

If you are staying at one of the deluxe onsite hotels, they also offer priority seating at most restaurants.

You can't book most places 6 months ahead. Like the pp said, you can make reservations a few days before. We booked Mythos two weeks before our trip because we could and had our choice of times.

I don't recommend trying to eat at City Walk at park closing time. The waits were all 45 mins to an hour when we made the mistake of doing that and that was not during a very busy time. But we didn't try the priority seating. If you do want to eat around park closing I'd recommend a reservation at one of the City Walk restaurants that takes them.

Congrats on your first Universal trip. You'll have lots of magic and fun! pixiedust:

We've never made a reservation at any Universal or City Walk restaurant. We are a party of 2 and do travel during slower times of year, but our longest wait has been maybe 30 minutes at Toothsome during dinner hour shortly after it opened. I do agree that the City Walk restaurants can get busy at park closing, but your wait would be like a normal restaurant at a busy hour. Its not like Disney where they accept reservations only and often turn away walk-ups. I don't think I've heard of a Universal restaurant not accepting walk-ups, because I think most of the business IS walk-ups.

If you're staying on-site at Universal, many of the restaurants offer priority seating if you don't have a reservation.

We'll be there at the same time. We always go during the first 3 weeks of December and have never needed reservations. It's a slow time.

We only ever reserve The Palm at HRH........

As for everything else, never make reservations.........we have used the perk of priority seating on occasion, but usually we’re fine. Never starved yet.

If you want to make reservations for Citywalk restaurants, there’s an app on Apple called Zomato. We used it a couple times on our September trip. We would check for a reservation a few hours before we planned to eat. It worked pretty good.

For the most part you will not need a reservation for restaurants on City Walk. I would suggest (if you want a specific time) to make a reservation for Mythos; it's well worth the cost for the quality of food you receive, and the themeing is nice. Our family loves it.

You can also order take out at many of the city walk restaurants. Last time, we got our meals to go at Bubba Gump's, and at them back at Cabana Bay by the fire pit. Then we roasted some marshmallows. Much less stressful than waiting for a table at park closing time.

During thanksgiving week, we walked up to confisco, cowfish, toothsome, and NBC with no wait. That is pretty magical!

I love not needing reservations at Universal compared to Disney. We will make same day reservations on Opentable if the restaurant allows, many are just walk up. Mythos is great inside the park. I went there for the first time on my last trip and loved it. If there is somewhere I really want to eat and they take reservations I'll make it a little in advance, but you don't need it like you do at Disney and they certainly don't book up like at Disney.

Hi guys. We will be staying at Hard Rock for the first time ever. How does hotel priority seating work? Do you just show your room key? I've never heard of this perk. We will be there at the busiest week (Christmas week), but I was encouraged by the above comment about low-stress during Thanksgiving week. Thanks!

Just show your room key.

It doesn't always work like anyone would think it should. A lot is going to depend on the size of your party. Just 2, probably no problem, but bigger parties need bigger tables.

Hi guys. We will be staying at Hard Rock for the first time ever. How does hotel priority seating work? Do you just show your room key? I've never heard of this perk. We will be there at the busiest week (Christmas week), but I was encouraged by the above comment about low-stress during Thanksgiving week. Thanks!

If your party is 4 or less you're probably in good shape. We had no luck with it as a party of 5 during a busy week.

We are a party of 8 on a Saturday evening. Was hoping for Mythos or Margarittaville, don't do evening reservations. Was able to get a dinner reservation after park closing at 8:30 for our party at Vivo. Want to eat in Citiwalk as afterwards, our oldest son and new DIL, our youngest DS and nephew, all ranging from 23 to 31 will hang out in Citiwalk,, Uber back, and DH and I, brother and sister in law will head back to our resort after Vivo. Have read good reviews, but not eaten here before. Have read that the bread is very good. Any particularly outstanding dishes? :confused:Thanks in advance.:goodvibes:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter