Earthquakes...

ShellyMouse

I love Baloo!!
yeah, im a worrier :eek:.... just wondering if any others worry about this when planning their trip to "earthquake country"? :rotfl2: ive never been to california, and while im soooo very excited about our trip, i cant get the possibilty of one out of my head!

please help me relax about this..... :lmao:

I visited SoCal in January for two weeks (cut down to one - but that's another story!) and I was a bit nervous myself, coming from Philadelphia. When I got to my friend's house, we went over earthquake safety, and I also read up on it online before I left. I was a bit apprehensive, but I didn't let it worry me the entire trip. Just brush up on a little knowledge and safety tips, and you should be fine! Besides, I was having so much fun at DL I eventually forgot about the threat!

Don't worry! I lived in Los Angeles (born and raised) for 15 years and only experienced a hand full of earthquakes; only one of them being a large one. So don't stress yourself, they don't happen that often and usually when they do they are small and no big deal.

I think it's important to keep in mind that the likelihood of a strong earthquake is miniscule. Even the big one that we had on Easter, which was a 7.1, caused no damage or injuries at DLR or even anywhere north of San Diego. I've lived in San Diego for 9.5 years and have felt several quakes, but never anything strong enough to knock things over or break anything.

That's not to say it can't happen at any time - it's just EXTREMELY unlikely.

And another thing - I was at DLR a couple of weeks ago when there was a 5.7 quake. I was walking down Main Street when it happened, and there were thousands of people standing around waiting for the fireworks to start. The only reason I knew that there was an earthquake was because my husband texted me from home to ask if I felt it. It didn't look like anyone at DL did, and I know I didn't!

I think it's important to keep in mind that the likelihood of a strong earthquake is miniscule. Even the big one that we had on Easter, which was a 7.1, caused no damage or injuries at DLR or even anywhere north of San Diego. I've lived in San Diego for 9.5 years and have felt several quakes, but never anything strong enough to knock things over or break anything.

That's not to say it can't happen at any time - it's just EXTREMELY unlikely.

Yes, I totally agree. I've lived in California my whole life (the past 14 years in southern california) and I've also never experienced a quake big enough to knock anything down. It is very unlikely you will feel any quake during your visit, let along a big one. But, it's probably a good idea, like PP did, to familiarize yourself with what to do during an earthquake just in case.

Born and raised in California and have to say REALLY don’t worry about it.

I get why you are worried. But more so than just us saying don’t worry about it. I work for a structural engineering company and know that the codes in place in California are some of the strictest in the world. Worst case scenario, there IS an earthquake, you will be fine as everything is built to withstand them here. The only thing that will happen is that some of the larger rides will be shut down for a short time to be checked for safety and then they will restart everything up like it was nothing.

Plus you have to go with the whole likelihood thing everyone else mentions. It is highly unlikely that one will occur. But if one does you are ok. :love: Hope this helps.

Enjoy your trip!

I've been to DL so many times in my life that I've lost count of how many times. We only experienced an earthquake once it was back in 1992 or 93, it was a little frightening I thought that my husband was shaking the bed but it was the earthquake! I immediately ran over to my ds who was in a crib acrossed the hotel room and took him into bed with us.

It was kinda scary since I'm an Arizonan, and we don't have training like CA residents do on how to protect yourselves in an earthquake. The tv on the dresser which was screwed down rocked back and forth and we looked out our window and the pool had big waves in it. We turned on the news and found out that it was a pretty big quake and felt aftershocks. We headed back to Arizona later that day I believe that DL was closed down for a while.

While it was scary we survived and still go to DL at least twice a year, so while there is a chance an earthquake could happen it's very unlikely. Going to DL is worth the small risk of an earthquake anytime! Plus the buildings in CA are built according to code for earthquakes. Don't worry and enjoy! :goodvibes

I'm another "born-and-raised" Southern Californian, and I lived between 30 minutes and 2 hours from DLR my entire life (30 years) until we moved out of state a few years ago (recently moved back, but to N. CA).

LOL, and even *I* am a tiny bit stressed about heading down for DLR next week, although I am much more concerned about earthquakes while we're on the road, as opposed to one happening while we're in the parks. So, NO, you are not the only one who worries a bit. And the truth is, I've been through dozens and dozens of earthquakes in my lifetime (one shook me out of bed when I was 14, lol), and am pretty accustomed to them. I've never experienced one while in DLR, though, and for 2 years we had AP's and visited about twice a week because we lived so close. So, out of 100+ visits to the parks, we've never ever felt an earthquake while there.

It's really not worth worrying about! Even if one occurred while you were at DLR, the likelihood that it would be a large one is SOOOOOOOO slim.

Think of it this way, Disneyland has been around for 55 years, and has NEVER been devastated by an earthquake. Sure, I realize that doesn't mean it will never happen, but the probability that it will occur while you are there is so low. Remember, most earthquakes are hardly felt, if felt at all.

You've received a lot of great advice, but I'll add my 2 cents: I've lived in N. California my whole life and have been through tons of earthquakes. First off they have to be really huge to cause any damage. If they do cause damage it is usually to old buildings that aren't up to code. It is highly unlikely that you'll be in any buildings like that during your trip. California puts a lot of energy into keeping buildings up to code.
That being being said look at the earthquake safety brochure that should be in your hotel. Planning for a quake in a hotel is just like thinking of what you'd do in case of a fire. Also we travel with a small flashlight in case we need it for any reason (looking under the bed for lost flip flops usually) . You can always bring one if it's easy for you to pack and it might make you feel better. IF there was a really big quake at night the power could go out, but highly doubt that will happen.
Enjoy your trip! I'm sure the only quake you'll feel will be the one on Big Thunder Mountain! :laughing:

yeah, im a worrier :eek:.... just wondering if any others worry about this when planning their trip to "earthquake country"? :rotfl2: ive never been to california, and while im soooo very excited about our trip, i cant get the possibilty of one out of my head!

please help me relax about this..... :lmao:

Your last trip to WDW was in Sept... Were you worried about a Hurricane? You are more likely to experience a Hurricane at WDW than an significant earthquake at DL...

ohh shelly .. it;s nothing it just feels like your in the "car" on indy! that's all.. earthqaukes are nothing..just suck it up and take your trip!! :lmao:

You've probably been through more blizzards than we've been through earthquakes. When I was a kid, a guy in my class had just moved from Oklahoma. One morning there was an earthquake around 5:30 strong enough to wake me up. Nothing fell on me so I went back to sleep. When I got to school, the new kid was completely freaked out. "We were eating breakfast and..." "What do you mean eating breakfast? It was 5:30? Are you crazy? Normal people don't get up that early."

I mentioned that rambling story because he was from Oklahoma and, when we asked about tordados, he said, "No big deal. You go to the basement. Hopefully your house is still there when you come out."

Pretty much every area has its own leaning towards one form of natural disaster or another. Unless it's some movie-level quake, the most annoying thing that will happen is they may close the rides to check for damage to the tracks.

Think of it this way - if an earthquake hits while you're in DL, it will be like an extra, unexpected bonus ride from Disney and you will be among a limited number of people to ever have ridden it. You could tell all your friends that you rode the DL Shake Rattle and Roll experience and survived. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Your last trip to WDW was in Sept... Were you worried about a Hurricane? You are more likely to experience a Hurricane at WDW than an significant earthquake at DL...

well, yes and no.....you know THOSE are coming, and you have time to get outta dodge!:rotfl2:

ohh shelly .. it;s nothing it just feels like your in the "car" on indy! that's all.. earthqaukes are nothing..just suck it up and take your trip!! :lmao:

hey funball....glad to see you back and givin me he@@....;)

You've probably been through more blizzards than we've been through earthquakes.

you know, weve only lived in colorado for almost 2 years. born and raised in michigan, so yes, i have seen many a blizzard....and they are not scary or out of the ordinary to me.....
ok, fine.....just like your earthquakes!:lmao:

im a control freak....you dont know when 1 is going to come...thats my problem, i dont like surprises! i will do the surprising....thank you very much!

Think of it this way - if an earthquake hits while you're in DL, it will be like an extra, unexpected bonus ride from Disney and you will be among a limited number of people to ever have ridden it. You could tell all your friends that you rode the DL Shake Rattle and Roll experience and survived. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

:thumbsup2:rotfl2::banana: ill be the coolest on the block, yes?

I have lived in So Cal, with in 30 mins from DL for over 32 years and have only been at DL during one earthquake. So the odds are pretty low. Disney will shut down rides to check things afterwards. But thats a safety think you want them to do.

If you are hearing about all the quakes by the Mexico boarder and that has got your scared. There have only been two that have been felt in the Disneyland area. Im use to them, so its easy for me to say not to worry. But I can say Disney is a pretty safe place to be. People will know what to do for what ever happens.

I hope you can relax and no worry(I know thats easier said then done). But you will have a great trip and make memories that will last a life time. :)

I've been in SoCal for almost 43 years - I am a SoCal girl - and earthquakes are NOT "nothing." They can cause tremendous damage for those who live right near the epicenter and sometimes beyond, and it should never be taken lightly. I know people who lost their home in a quake. I've gone through Sylmar...Whittier Narrows...Landers (huge)...Big Bear (very large)...and for the love of God, NORTHRIDGE (which was terrifying and traumatizing)!!!:scared1: There is a even a little Beverly Hills fault that is basically right underneath me, and when it erupts in a 1.0 quake every so often - we feel it sharply because it's right here! Imagine if it produced a 5.0 or something!:scared1:

The recent 7.1 that we had in Calexico/Mexicali was a BIG, big quake. That is nothing to sneeze at. It has now put all kinds of stress on faults north of it - closer to Orange County and closer to Los Angeles. Cal Tech revealed that fact on the news the other day. They are now trying to figure out exactly how much stress has been put on the faults. If you lived in the kind of building I live in, where the walls shake if someone closes a door on another floor, you would realize how scary some quakes can be (and yes, this building is up to code - it's just very thinly built!).

Anyway, I had to jump in here and add that in. I think people get a little too jaded living in SoCal sometimes, not thinking about other people who have suffered a lot of damage in quakes.

But ShellyMouse, the chances of a substantial quake happening while you are in Earthquake country or at DLR are very minimal. So I don't think you need to worry about that aspect at all.:goodvibes Quakes happen every day, all over the state, but they are usually so small that they are not felt. The significant ones - moderate or large - happen infrequently. Right now, we are in a period of high quake activity, which happens from time to time, according to Lucy at Cal Tech. We were in a period of high quake activity in the mid-'80s to early '90s, and then after Northridge :-)scared1::scared1:) everything quieted down for a while. It started to pick back up again last year or in 2008. But even during the periods of high quake activity, it is very unlikely you will be here at a time when a quake happens.

You can really count on hurricanes in the gulf coast happening every year more than you can count on a moderate or large quake happening.

I was at DLR on Easter when the 7.1 quake hit and I felt it. I was in the t-shirt store under Screamin' and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why the floor was moving when the ride car passed over head. Turns out it wasn't the ride! I did get dizzy and a little shaken up, but nothing fell off the shelves or anything. DH didn't even know there was a quake - he didn't know until he got to the front of the line and the cashier mentioned it. LOL

They close down EVERYTHING when there is a quake at DLR - not just the big rides. We thought we'd go over and do Muppets while they were getting the rides back up - but they are closed, too and one of the last things to open since they are considered low priority.

It made DCA VERY crowded with everyone who would normally be in a ride queue or in a show or restaurant out on the sidewalks and trying to get a place to sit down and chill.

It took about an hour or so for everything to be declared safe and to be up and running again. We headed for the Lego store in DTD and it seemed like there were a lot more people than usual there.

I am a Cali girl and grew up with earthquakes, but have lived in another state for years and we don't get many earthquakes here. It was more of an inconvenience than a scare for me since rides were closed and we had to find something else to do for a while.

Here is the thing. First off kudos to you for thinking about it because lets keep it real Southern Cal has had more frequent earthquakes this year( although small) than we have had in previous years. This year alone i've been in Disneyland when a 4 ish hit. But I live in Cali and i'm used to it. So that being said your main concern will probably others reactions. Those who never gave it a bit of thought. Those are the people who panic. As long as your family is aware and know all the the saftely plans you set for them you will be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter