DVCCorry's "La ho'omana'o" Trip to Aulani - May 17th - 26th LIVE

DVC_Corrys

DIS Veteran
Aloha!

I decided to try and create a trip report for our upcoming trip to Hawaii. This will be as live as I can possibly make it (depends on how much Kona Lager I have in a given day).

What better way to start then with the pre-trip information.

My DW and I planned a 9 day/night trip to Aulani for our 6th wedding anniversary. This is our second trip to the Aulani. We own at BLT and knew as soon as the rumors spread about Aulani that we would own. We made our purchase with our guide 4 days before sales began. I like to think of ourselves as FOUNDING Founding Members. Anyways, this was going to be just a couples trip leaving our 2 year old son at home with family. With that we booked our OV Studio.

That was the plan 7 months ago.

As time passed and the trip neared my DW was lamenting that she would miss our son and wanted to bring him for part of the trip. I am sure I would too, but how can you know unless leave him behind and find out? My argument for FaceTime was roundly ignored.

In case you didn't know you cannot let a 2 year old fly alone (I HAVE NO IDEA WHY) and they cannot travel in a kennel beneath the plane. UPS was also out of the question.

So, my wife came up with the plan to bring my DMIL (is that a proper board thing) who would come out with us for a few days with our son and then take him back so we could have some couple time. This plan was FULL PROOF according to my wife as my DFIL had no interest in going to Hawaii.

Well, when this FULL PROOF plan was brought to his attention he said "of course I want to go". So, the couples only anniversary now consisted of two couples and a 2 year old. OH, and a 5 month along baby girl in the womb. She travels free, is very quiet, and keeps a low profile so I don't mind.

Did I mention we have a studio?

I attempted to get a 1 bedroom for the time they would be with us but no luck, so studio. If anyone is in Aulani at the same time and wants some exchange tourists let me know.

Well, we are now all booked and all set. They will be joining us until Wednesday morning then be on their way back.

So, let's take a look at what we have on tap for the trip.

5/17 - Friday
- Fly to Hawaii (SEA-HNL)
- Drinks at the Alaska Airlines Boardroom
- Drinks on the plane

5/18 - Saturday
- Wake up in Paradise (repeat every day)
- Costco!!!!! (I love Costco)
- Waikolohe Valley
- Beach
- Monkeypod (really looking forward to this new restaurant)

5/19 - Sunday
- Aloha Market
- North Shore
- Dinner at JW Marriott

5/20 - Monday
- Waikolohe Valley
- Beach (North of Aulani) Snorkeling

5/21 - Tuesday
- Pearl Harbor
- Catamaran off Waikiki
- Dinner in Waikiki

5/22 - Wednesday
- Stretch out in my new, In-Law free, studio!
- Waikolohe Valley
- Beach (North of Aulani) Snorkeling

5/23 - Thursday
5/24 - Friday
5/25 - Saturday
- Nothing?
- Waikolohe Valley
- Beach (all over)

5/26 - Sunday
- Head home, questioning why I chose an 8:00am flight to save $100.00

As you can tell Wed - Sat we have NOTHING planned. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
I am looking for:
- Places to visit
- Places to snorkel
- Places to eat

So, that is where we are at now... I was hoping the thread would make the time fly by but it has only been an hour.

And, just to test my picture posting skills, here is a picture from our last trip in December 2011.

I will be there starting the 14th - hopefully we can say hi as well as participate in Dis Unplugged's live show

I will be there starting the 14th - hopefully we can say hi as well as participate in Dis Unplugged's live show

You will easily find me chasing a two year old.... everywhere!!

I didn't see any announcements on where the live show will be?

Looking forward to hearing more! We are hoping to have availability in February; waiting two months to be able to officially plan is going to kill me!:scared:

Watching this trip report too! Benji 2012 - we are also planning a trip in February and watching for the 7 month booking window!

Looking forward to hearing more! We are hoping to have availability in February; waiting two months to be able to officially plan is going to kill me!:scared:

We are waiting for a January booking to AKV after a 4 night on the Magic. I know the feeling.

I am excited to announce I will have a webcam set up from our balcony for sunsets and Aulani viewing LIVE. It will be up at random times and I will post the link.

I had too much caffeine last night so this was my latest brilliant idea.

Can't wait to read all about your trip! We arrive on May 26 for 2 weeks in a studio so we'll miss you. We have never been there...it's a very long trip but we are so excited! We will live through your report until we arrive!!:duck:

I am excited to announce I will have a webcam set up from our balcony for sunsets and Aulani viewing LIVE. It will be up at random times and I will post the link.

I had too much caffeine last night so this was my latest brilliant idea.

Are you there yet? Looking forward to the live cam.

Friday May 17th - Travel Day

Well, I am writing this from the Olelo room from Aulani!!! I just love this resort, so well done. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I now travel back, back, to the past. Friday...

I decided that the trip needed to start a day early so we booked a room near the airport and went Thursday night. Nothing much ado there but it was nice having late check out and a place for my son to take a nap before a 6 hour flight.

Our flight was at 5:30pm so we headed to the airport to check bags and get ready for the flight. I travel alot for work and have status with Alaska Air which makes travel a breeze. The biggest benefit seems to be free bags for everyone traveling in my group so between the 5 of us we checked 6 bags. I refuse to try and stuff everything in an overhead, it can be stressful.

I checked the flight loads before we left and there was no way we could get upgraded to first class. I figured since I have been on a hot streak with Alaska. I have gotten upgrades on 9 of my last 10 flights. POOR ME I KNOW.

We went to the Alaska Air Lounge for light dinner and drinks (not my pregnant wife, nor my In Laws who don't drink, just me...). I was sitting in the exit row and would not have to watch Caden (my poor, poor wife and MIL) so let's just say I tried to bring a fair share of drinks on with me so I didn't have to buy a bunch on the plane. The server in the lounge was very helpful!!!!

e0da9be8d3f7936e465c4da58985315a_zps361fcb8e.jpg

LOOK AT THE PLANES!!

The flight itself was fantastic, not bumpy at all. My poor wife and MIL had to deal with an infant who got scared during take off and would not cooperate for 6 hours. Let's just say my son is going to borrow my credit card and buy mommy as many spa treatments as she wants. She earned it.

ead600e9e865b701e28e45560c384cbe_zps8b22de0f.jpg

Not the best photo but it shows how much he did not enjoy take off. Don't tell the flight attendant I had my iPhone on before 10,000 feet.

e9526bfc1156d3badf5de6883d4f64a5_zpse2c7e52b.jpg

See you later Seattle

09bf26ae6fd832ebc67a03ee1c10b36f_zpsf0ba856a.jpg

This kinda worried me... looks really cool on an X-Wing but freaky on a Boeing 737....

17ac4df4cd7382ce4e7db6e50386bf27_zps33cd6b98.jpg

Sunsetting over the Pacific

So, after a long 6 hour flight and two terrible movies, we arrived. Before we arrive, let me say that Cloud Atlas was TERRIBLE. Maybe reading the book would help but from a film standpoint it was POINTLESS. Please feel free to comment and tell me how wrong I am! I just didn't get it. Also, I found Lincoln to be lackluster. I feel like the movie made Lincoln look weak helpless most of the time. My BIGGEST complaint is that his voice was wrong. Everyone knows Lincoln sounds like the version in Great Moments with Mr Lincoln at Disneyland. HELLO!!!!

So we landed!!!!! I love HNL, the outside walkways really say "Welcome to Hawaii". So does this sign:

3571beb079460749b19e0f0dc98f3d48_zps15d50eb2.jpg

Apparently I have trouble focusing, both in life and with cameras.

We grabbed our rental car and headed to Paradise. We got our room, studio on the 14th floor, facing the pool and ocean. It is great. I of course forgot to take photos and it was immediately destroyed with bags and other humans. One problem I have since I travel alone for work is my hotel routine and organization makes it difficult to add 4 other people. Oh well, I am at Aulani!!!

By the time we got to the room and had stuff in it was 11:00pm... for those of you keeping score that is 2:00am. What does a 2 year old look like when he has not slept and is running on Lord knows what????

0ae655805d48b3178355a233bff166d4_zpsf383bdcc.jpg

That's what he looks like.

We finally settled in and were in bed... cozy, cozy bed. Then my Father In Law started snoring... haha, only 4 more nights of that then peace and quite with just my wife.

ALOHA!!!!!!!!

Just watched some of the stream from yesterday. Looks awesome! We are checking in next Saturday. Can't wait to get back. We will be in a 1 Bdr Ocean View. I have requested a high floor. Keep the report coming. It is getting me excited!

Ooohhh, it looks wonderful! Although we won't be at Aulani for our first visit until February, we did stay in the Ko'Olina Marriott Vacation Club back in 2007, and can't wait to be back at the Lagoons. :beach:

Great thread! We just were at Aulani last month with our 10 mth old and 3 yr old. I feel your airplane pain!

Just watched some of the stream from yesterday. Looks awesome! We are checking in next Saturday. Can't wait to get back. We will be in a 1 Bdr Ocean View. I have requested a high floor. Keep the report coming. It is getting me excited!

Does it show you a recording of the old stream or did you watch live? I didn't take much time to go through features.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter