DVC Snobs

On our cruise there was a man standing outside one of the shops who had on a platinum lanier covered in pins. He told everyone who walked in what his status was and how much of a discount he got at the shop, then asked what their status was. He was given a wide berth.
Maybe (remote, but possible?) his intention was to offer others his discount if they shopped with and through him? I dunno. Sounds lonely.

It's funny as a Brit to read the American viewpoint on getting to be upper-class - here I don't think any level of income would really qualify you, it would probably require at least a second, if not third generation.

It's funny as a Brit to read the American viewpoint on getting to be upper-class - here I don't think any level of income would really qualify you, it would probably require at least a second, if not third generation.
I presume you're talking about status rather than wealth. In the US looking at millionaires (net worth $1M) most are first generation, most still work and a signifiant proportion are first generation US.

If you search for information on this issue there is no official designation. The range is dramatic but here's one quote I found.
President Obama said that the middle class is comprised of individuals who make less than $200,000 and couples who make less than $250,000.

In 2013, Congress quoted its own definition of a middle-class income during the fiscal cliff compromise. It said the middle class is anyone making less $400,000 or couples making less than $450,000.
If you use 2X the median income it's going to be much lower than these numbers.

I presume you're talking about status rather than wealth.
Correct - a very high income/level of wealth definitely moves you into upper-middle class, but to truly get to upper class you have to join an elite club whose parents, and probably their parents, went to the correct schools, know the right people etc. It implies a level of wealth (not least because those 'correct' schools are extremely expensive), but it isn't the defining factor here, at least in my humble plebeian opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter