DVC Reservations - Any Upgrades being Offered?

KovuLover

Mouseketeer
With all of the upgrades from non-DVC to DVC hotels because of the closures, has a DVC Member with a DVC reservation received word of any upgrades? Im just curious if anyone has had success asking for or being offered a better room view or room size. We are paying a premium in points to go during July which was a “peak season” so we could only do a standard view at AKL Kidani. Just curious if there’s been any rumblings of potential upgrades for us too!

I am currently at the Riviera (which would have been impossible to get into during normal times) in a standard view room. I am on the 5th floor and can see the Epcot "Golf Ball" from the balcony along with a view of the parking lot :).
I did "not" ask for an upgrade so do not know if they would have given one, but will tell you I got the best choice for a standard studio (high floor, middle of the resort). The resort itself is maybe 20% full. The pool chairs were empty, Topolino was a walk on, though they wanted you to have a reservation, Disney Springs is empty and any restaurant there is a walk on.
The bad: Unless you are driving, you have to take a bus from the resort to Springs and then from the Springs to another resort. They have stopped pool hopping, which really P***ed me off cause with everything else closed, and resorts at such a low capacity they could have allowed it with the same precautions as pools in resorts we are staying in. Not all restaurants are open and those that are have an extremely reduced menu. Everything closes at 10 (including Springs).
This was a relaxing getaway. The CM are still SUPER friendly and things are very clean. The CM are being very careful with the guests safety and sanitize common areas every couple of hours and I am sure also in between as needed.

I don’t know what they are considering currently, but I can tell you that a lot of people were asking for upgrades back in March when the parks closed and even the DVC resorts were incredibly empty for the last six days or so after the announcement. They did not give upgrades to DVC members, but I did hear of some complimentary room upgrades at the hotels from chatting with people that week. We asked at GF and BCV and were told no free upgrades for DVC.

They are not supposed to give upgrades to DVC due to the way the points system works as you are an owner and not a guest, entitled to what you own based on number of points.

Cash is different and Disney can move guests where ever they want.

Having said that, it is possible we will see people moved because they may want to spread people out so they can spread out cleaning and not have people check in and out the same day.

In that sense, I can see it happen during the first few months when things are not full.

We are going the first week they open so I guess we will find out! We don’t want to change resorts but it’s a little disheartening to know you paid for points and you’re using so many for a peak reservation in a standard view room and people are going from moderates to Savannah views for no extra cost. I get why they have to move them, I was just hoping for some DVC magic I guess!

I read today someone had a Jambo value room and were upgraded to Kidani savannah view. Closed resort situation.

I am currently at the Riviera (which would have been impossible to get into during normal times) in a standard view room. I am on the 5th floor and can see the Epcot "Golf Ball" from the balcony along with a view of the parking lot :).
I did "not" ask for an upgrade so do not know if they would have given one, but will tell you I got the best choice for a standard studio (high floor, middle of the resort). The resort itself is maybe 20% full. The pool chairs were empty, Topolino was a walk on, though they wanted you to have a reservation, Disney Springs is empty and any restaurant there is a walk on.
The bad: Unless you are driving, you have to take a bus from the resort to Springs and then from the Springs to another resort. They have stopped pool hopping, which really P***ed me off cause with everything else closed, and resorts at such a low capacity they could have allowed it with the same precautions as pools in resorts we are staying in. Not all restaurants are open and those that are have an extremely reduced menu. Everything closes at 10 (including Springs).
This was a relaxing getaway. The CM are still SUPER friendly and things are very clean. The CM are being very careful with the guests safety and sanitize common areas every couple of hours and I am sure also in between as needed.
Did you try to pool hop? Can you visit other resorts? How is a resort only vacation. We have reservations in July and can't decide to cancel or not. With all the park restrictions I am not sure it is worth AP renewal or use of our tickets.

At OKW now. No upgrades. Had quiet pool closest to our room to ourselves for a couple hours. Ate lunch with a reservation at Sanaa and looked even less crowded there.

Did you try to pool hop? Can you visit other resorts? How is a resort only vacation. We have reservations in July and can't decide to cancel or not. With all the park restrictions I am not sure it is worth AP renewal or use of our tickets.
Pool hopping is not permitted right now per the DVC member site.

I read today someone had a Jambo value room and were upgraded to Kidani savannah view. Closed resort situation.
Different situation Than an upgrade though. I saw value rooms avail on my trip in late July and was going to book, but except I really only like AKL and not Kidani.

We are going late July and weren’t sure if we were going to a resort only stay or activate APs. Since there are capacity restrictions and we were able to get park reservations for each day we decided to go for it.

I really wouldn’t expect a lot of upgrades while the resorts are so empty. I suspect Disney generally offers the upgrades during high capacity periods and when it works to their advantage so that they can accommodate additional bookings.

I mentioned this on another thread, but it makes sense here too. If I was going before 7/10, I would move to Jambo. They still have some Value studios available, and std studios are wide open. Worst case you end up back in a std studio for the same points if the values were not available for the days you need. The same applies to 1 BR reservations too.

Currently at Copper Creek. No upgrade. We got exactly what we reserved. Nice. No complaints. It has been a great stay.

I had a buddy rent a Jambo Value studio through Dave's for 7/3 two weeks ago. He checked in at 9:30 this morning and was moved to a Sav view studio in Kidani.

Thanks everyone! We cancelled our reservation so I won’t be able to report back.

I had a buddy rent a Jambo Value studio through Dave's for 7/3 two weeks ago. He checked in at 9:30 this morning and was moved to a Sav view studio in Kidani.
That wasn't an upgrade so much as Jambo is literally closed.

That wasn't an upgrade so much as Jambo is literally closed.
Yes and no, agreed Jambo is closed, so they had to get moved and there are no Value rooms in Kidani. But they ending up in a SAV view (not STD view) for the cost of a Value.

Yes and no, agreed Jambo is closed, so they had to get moved and there are no Value rooms in Kidani. But they ending up in a SAV view (not STD view) for the cost of a Value.
That's what most of the Value moves are getting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter