DVC Resell Buy, home resort suggestions...

Tymeece

Memphis Mouse
Hey, DIS family. I am a long time pod listner and sit in the background to discover answers. Thanks for the content. I think I am finally going to buy a DVC resell contract at somepoint in the next year. I have been to disney a ton, have had annual pass for a long time, live in TN, and have just never comitted. My question is around suggestions for those that are DVC members. Here is what I am looking for...I want to use my points primarily for me to stay during Marathon Race Weekend every year and potentially family trips. I would like to be at EPCOT resorts so Boardwalk stands out from a price standpoint. My question is should I go after a Boardwalk or something else that has a longer contract(Riveria, Bay Lake, Contemporary, etc...) I love staying over in this area but $10-$40 more a point I could get a contract for 20 more years. I know that I will use my points at least for the next 15-20 years for sure but I wouldn't have anyting after 20Years with Boardwalk. Other data: I was looking in the 270-300pt range. I know once a DVC memeber you always want more. Looking for thoughts and recomendations.

Thanks, funny you mentioned CCV. That is a high option of mine off of skyline/monorail transportation.

That 2042 expiration makes these decisions so tough. I bought my first contract in 2020 and like you, wanted to have a place to stay for RunDisney weekends, although we tend to do different races each year so a guaranteed week wasn't a draw for me. I had lurked for years before I made the plunge; the 'Rona lockdown just gave me so much time to dig in and really get serious. Initially, my thought was to get the cheapest points at a resort where I was wiling to be "stuck" if I wasn't able to move rooms at the 7 month window. At first that was Boulder Ridge (OKW and SSR were non-starters for me as I wasn't interested in being "stuck" at either). After a while (and a crazy 8 tab spredsheet of cost analysis) I changed my mind to the Poly. It's my favorite and the longer expiration made sense. Staying there is a points hog, BUT I have not had any issues moving those reservations to a cheaper resort at the 7 month mark (granted we're only talking 2 years of experience here, others might disagree). Personnally I LOVE the Boardwalk and still ponder adding on 50 points if a resale contract ever came up in my UY, but I just can't get on board with getting a big contract at a resort with 20 years left when there are so many great options with longer terms remaining.

Oh - and two months after I closed on my Poly contract, I stayed at OKW (on points I rented prior to purchasing my contact) and loved it.....so I added on 25 points direct at OKW (when points were about $155) and am in ROFR for another 25 OKW resale contract. Good cheap points and I now know I don't mind being "stuck" at OKW if need be.

Good luck!!!!!

Thank you so much for your great insight! Yes, the expiration is what gets me so I will probably end up somewhere else. People seem to love OKW. I am leaning more towards CCR or if I want to be close to EC area go for CBR or RR for the skyliner. My whole family comes some so having the option of something bigger pushes me away from Poly. Then again, I am sure the new tower will have it all. Walking through EC and even celebrating with a margarita is always on the plans after “long” race day. Aaaahhhh… I’ve just been preparing and I feel with where we are headed in the economy we may see dips in resell points again.

We are in our mid-forties. We love being able to walk to Epcot. While 2042 is coming up quickly in the grand scheme of things, it's still another 20 years away. We will be mid-60s by that point. To be morbid, my father died at 62 and mother-in-law died at 64. We would have to outlive them to outlive our contract. YOLO so we went with Beach Club. Boardwalk was a very close second but we found a Beach Club contract for Boardwalk price and went for it.

We are in our mid-forties. We love being able to walk to Epcot. While 2042 is coming up quickly in the grand scheme of things, it's still another 20 years away. We will be mid-60s by that point. To be morbid, my father died at 62 and mother-in-law died at 64. We would have to outlive them to outlive our contract. YOLO so we went with Beach Club. Boardwalk was a very close second but we found a Beach Club contract for Boardwalk price and went for it.
This was us, too. Similar age and thought process.... Even if I only get 19 awesome years out of BCV, it's still 19 awesome years.... We love the location and the offerings at the resort... And that RIV is only a skyliner ride away!

Thanks for your response. I pray that you outlive your contract and have to buy a new contract, ha! It is a tough decision. EPCOT area is my favorite but getting 20 more years at CCR for the same price is tough to turn down.

Hey, DIS family. I am a long time pod listner and sit in the background to discover answers. Thanks for the content. I think I am finally going to buy a DVC resell contract at somepoint in the next year. I have been to disney a ton, have had annual pass for a long time, live in TN, and have just never comitted. My question is around suggestions for those that are DVC members. Here is what I am looking for...I want to use my points primarily for me to stay during Marathon Race Weekend every year and potentially family trips. I would like to be at EPCOT resorts so Boardwalk stands out from a price standpoint. My question is should I go after a Boardwalk or something else that has a longer contract(Riveria, Bay Lake, Contemporary, etc...) I love staying over in this area but $10-$40 more a point I could get a contract for 20 more years. I know that I will use my points at least for the next 15-20 years for sure but I wouldn't have anyting after 20Years with Boardwalk. Other data: I was looking in the 270-300pt range. I know once a DVC memeber you always want more. Looking for thoughts and recomendations.

- The thing with contract length isn't about how long you're going to use it, it's about residual value. Assume you only plan on going for another 20 years. With a Boardwalk contract, come 2042, you just wipe your hands, you're done. With a Riviera contract (for example), you would still have a contract with 28 more years... Something you could sell for significant value. With inflation, you'd probably turn a "profit" on re-selling a 2060-2070 contract, 20 years from now.
-Marathon weekend is busy, you'll want to buy where you want to stay. If you want to stay at an Epcot resort, you have to buy the Epcot resort.
-Riviera re-sale will limit you to staying only at the Riviera. My family loves this resort, so it really wouldn't be a negative for us. But may be a negative for you. To me, it's a better "value" than Boardwalk, as you'll have significant remaining value 20 years from now. BUT, that value is meaningless if you don't want to stay there.
-With incentives, Riviera direct isn't that much more than Boardwalk re-sale. Would give you some perks (including potentially discounted AP, discounted dining), and would give you the freedom to use your points at all resorts. (But your home resort advantage is obviously still Riviera... options are limited to stay outside your home resort during high crowds like Marathon weekend).

Good insight! Yes, RR is amazing and I love it as an option. The rooms are beautiful. To your point having to stay there every time is the only piece not appealing for resell purchase and selling it after I use it for 20years may not have the same value as a CCR. I had already ruled out buying direct but you bring up a good point about having more freedom for other resorts if they are ever available.

Good insight! Yes, RR is amazing and I love it as an option. The rooms are beautiful. To your point having to stay there every time is the only piece not appealing for resell purchase and selling it after I use it for 20years may not have the same value as a CCR. I had already ruled out buying direct but you bring up a good point about having more freedom for other resorts if they are ever available.

I think there are a lot of us who do believe that those 2042 resorts will be new and blocked from resale down the road.

So, it could very well change the landscape for what people will get resale value when that happens as the number of resorts will most likely be less than now.

But, resale currently gives plenty of options now and as long as one is cool with no RIV and potentially VDH and Poly tower, then the savings are worth it especially if you are considering something like CCV.

I also think that many resale RIV buyers are people like me who have plenty of points to trade so having ones only good at RIV is not a big deal. We have 125 that are resale RIV which are easy to use up as we also have another 175 there direct, and 600 more between direct VGF and grandfathered SSR to trade when we need to!

Good luck!

I wouldn't worry about re-sale value in 20 years. Too many unknowable things, and by then there will be so many restrictions, it will matter a whole lot less. Sure, maybe CCV re-sale will be worth a few dollars more than RIV. Maybe CCV will keep 71% of it's purchase value and RIV will only keep 68% of it's purchase value. The differences aren't big enough to make a decision based on that.

I do believe what should consider the existence of re-sale value: a 2042 resort which will have no resale value in 20 years, vs a 2060+ resort that will have at least some re-sale value in 20 years.
BUT, I wouldn't start trying to figure out whether 1 resort may have slightly better or worse re-sale value than another. That's just way too unknowable 20 years in advance. Plus, the slight differences really shouldn't be a reason to choose against the place where you want to stay.

The challenge I see in the near term for the 2042 resorts such as BC/BW is that people buying now are buying to stay there. It will get harder to trade-in. BCV is already really tough. What is funny is when we first bought in 2016, we would have considered buying into BCV or BWV but now that there are 20 years left, we are a no and went CCV.

I wouldn't worry about re-sale value in 20 years. Too many unknowable things, and by then there will be so many restrictions, it will matter a whole lot less. Sure, maybe CCV re-sale will be worth a few dollars more than RIV. Maybe CCV will keep 71% of it's purchase value and RIV will only keep 68% of it's purchase value. The differences aren't big enough to make a decision based on that.

I do believe what should consider the existence of re-sale value: a 2042 resort which will have no resale value in 20 years, vs a 2060+ resort that will have at least some re-sale value in 20 years.
BUT, I wouldn't start trying to figure out whether 1 resort may have slightly better or worse re-sale value than another. That's just way too unknowable 20 years in advance. Plus, the slight differences really shouldn't be a reason to choose against the place where you want to stay.
I really want somewhere with different bedroom options for my home resort that is why I haven’t considered Poly. I haven’t seen it anywhere but with the new tower coming at the Poly is there any discussion of the tower being available as part of “home resort” for preexisting owners of Poly?

I really want somewhere with different bedroom options for my home resort that is why I haven’t considered Poly. I haven’t seen it anywhere but with the new tower coming at the Poly is there any discussion of the tower being available as part of “home resort” for preexisting owners of Poly?
No announcement yet from them as to what will happen. I personally think, based on the way things have played out, and the long term strategy of resale restrictions, it will be a new resort and not part of the current one.

If it is something that one wants to be able to stay at, until it’s known, I would assume the worst and that resale points bought now, even at Poly, won’t be eligible there…only direct points.

No announcement yet from them as to what will happen. I personally think, based on the way things have played out, and the long term strategy of resale restrictions, it will be a new resort and not part of the current one.

If it is something that one wants to be able to stay at, until it’s known, I would assume the worst and that resale points bought now, even at Poly, won’t be eligible there…only direct points.

As Sandi said... we don't know. I actually think it will be part of the same home resort, meaning all Poly owners will get 11 month booking in the tower. This will help relieve some of the point congestion caused by the bungalows. And since it is a 2064 resort, it has plenty of remaining years to just mix it in with the existing association.

But we really don't know. My advice for anyone really contemplating Poly -- wait 1-2 years for more clarity. And when the new points are released, there may be good incentives really making direct into a good value compared to current re-sale.

I would consider Poly/BLT. They are on the monorail to Epcot, ideal marathon transportation. Poly DVC is right on the TTC so a straight shot. BW/BC actually have to bus anyway because they’re on the wrong side.

There’s a lot of poly/BLT on the resale market right now and deals to be had.

But with 300 points maybe you are planning 1BR instead? I would have completely different ideas if that is your plan.

And if you plan to hold for decades, I would consider VGF direct, depending on how you feel about the general direction of Disney.

I also think a Yacht Club cheap flip is possible after Poly2, so 5+ years down the line. It has aging rooms with bad views that will have to be flipped anyway. You could buy resale and trade in BW/BC for that or whatever in 5 years. You don’t have to run the clock out if you love BW/BC. I don’t view any resale purchase as a huge commitment, and you can reconsider down the line if something seems like it would work better.

I would consider Poly/BLT. They are on the monorail to Epcot, ideal marathon transportation. Poly DVC is right on the TTC so a straight shot. BW/BC actually have to bus anyway because they’re on the wrong side.

There’s a lot of poly/BLT on the resale market right now and deals to be had.

But with 300 points maybe you are planning 1BR instead? I would have completely different ideas if that is your plan.

And if you plan to hold for decades, I would consider VGF direct, depending on how you feel about the general direction of Disney.

I also think a Yacht Club cheap flip is possible after Poly2, so 5+ years down the line. It has aging rooms with bad views that will have to be flipped anyway. You could buy resale and trade in BW/BC for that or whatever in 5 years. You don’t have to run the clock out if you love BW/BC. I don’t view any resale purchase as a huge commitment, and you can reconsider down the line if something seems like it would work better.
For marathons it would probably would be 1 BR or studio but any other usage with my family would be 1BR and/or 2 BR that is why I am not really considering Poly. One of my kids has special needs and Poly doesn’t really give us the space we want/need. I do love the idea of monorail access. I’ve gone down the rabbit whole of VGF but when you start getting into 1/2BR it’s huge points compared to BLT/CCV. BLT is definitely an option.

For marathons it would probably would be 1 BR or studio but any other usage with my family would be 1BR and/or 2 BR that is why I am not really considering Poly. One of my kids has special needs and Poly doesn’t really give us the space we want/need. I do love the idea of monorail access. I’ve gone down the rabbit whole of VGF but when you start getting into 1/2BR it’s huge points compared to BLT/CCV. BLT is definitely an option.
I stayed at CCV with a wheelchair user and thought it was non-ideal. There are two kinds of boats to MK, and the smaller ones aren't accessible. I'd consider BLT far superior in transportation.

For 1BR, you can buy whatever you want if you buy enough points. 7 months out is NY day and you could walk a whole week at BW right now. You don't need BW priority to book that. BC is tougher, but not impossible.

I'd consider BLT as sleep around points, actually. There's a lot for sale, you should be able to get a deal.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter