• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC resale and direct Disney purchase question

AKiapos

Earning My Ears
So I want to get join my family in getting a DVC membership, but I’m not too keen on the riviera prices for the amount of points I want to get (~250). So I’m looking at buying resale at Old Key West for stays, but I know you lose all kinds of perks buying resale. Does anyone know resources I can look at to see how many points I need to buy direct from Disney to maintain those perks and discount while also buying resale for the actual resort stays? Thank you in advance

Last edited:
And understand that you do not just have a "perks" issue. A Riviera resale purchaser can use the resale points to reserve Riviera but not any other DVC resorts. Riviera has developed an 11-month issue. An owner can reserve starting at 8 a.m. eastern at 11-months out from arrival date. There are times of the year now, particularly during the fall season, but also sometimes during the rest of the year that a Riviera owner is unable to book a Tower studio, or a standard studio or 2BR lock-off, even if he goes online right at 8 a.m. at 11-months out because they fill extremely fast. Thus, if you buy with the plan to usually get a one of those types of rooms, you can be severely disappointed, including because you cannot use those points to reserve any other DVC Resort at 7-months out.

So I want to get join my family in getting a DVC membership, but I’m not too keen on the riviera prices for the amount of points I want to get (~250). So I’m looking at buy resale, but I know you lose all kinds of perks buying resale. Does anyone know resources I can look at to see how many points I need to buy direct from Disney to maintain those perks and discount while also buying resale for the actual resort stays? Thank you in advance

OP, you might get answers that go beyond the specific question you were asking. When you get those replies, I don't think it was clear whether you were thinking of buying a resale contract for Riviera or thinking of buying a resale contract for a different resort. Also, I'm not sure if you know exactly what the perks and discounts are - many people think the perks and discounts aren't enough to make someone want to buy direct from Disney. But, as I said, that was not what you asked.

If you really want a blue card to take advantage of any perks that might be offered, then I would buy the smallest contract allowed to gain that card. I would then get a resale for the same resort for the same use year.
Any perks currently being offered, are not guaranteed. They could announce tomorrow that there will be no more perks for DVC members. So don't buy expecting perks. Buy because the numbers make sense for how your family will vacation at Disney.

Just to add, all owners and their households are eligible for the card.

Whatever contract you buy direct to get the card needs to continue to be owned as that is what carries the benefit, not the owner.

Very important to do a lot of research into buying resale at RIV. Make sure you understand how this resale will be different from buying one of the other ones.

People can let me know if I am missing something:

There is always a chance they remove or add things to this list. Direct perks are paid out of the profits DVC pulls in from contract sales at which point they negotiate discounts or "free" things to offer.

Direct "Perks" Requires 125 Points Direct

Direct "Unrestricted Points" requirement on the point when being used
  • Option to use that point at all past and future resorts

Restrictions on resale points when being used
  • Riviera points can only be used at Riviera
  • Future resorts likely can only be used at only that specific resort
  • Prior resorts can trade within their 14 resort group until resorts expire (first resorts expire in 2042 BWV, BCV, BRV, HHI, VB)
Things open to everyone
  • Booking your home resort
  • Free resort parking
  • Inclusive "hotel" benefits - previously Magic Bands or Magical Express until Jan 1 2022 or FP+/Dining early booking windows
  • Top of the World Lounge - currently closed due to COVID19
  • Tables in Wonderland - annual cost to get additional food discounts currently not being offered based on COVID19

I would say TOTW and TIW are 2 perks that could.go as well...dont count on them.

And the Epcot Lounge. That lasts only until Disney finally redevelop that area.

It's also worth knowing that Member Cruises are at a premium rate above and beyond the premium rate typically charged by DCL. As perks go, it's not any kind of discount. The Member Cruises usually take place in off-seasons for the ship/destination, but are priced at ultra-premium rates.

Thank you all for your responses. I realize my original question wasn’t worded properly so I edited it to reflect that I would only be buying riviera because it’s the only available currently that isn’t so expensive in order to retain perks. But I plan on buying at OKW resale for the stays of a 1/2BR for at least 10 days each twice a year.

Thank you all for your responses. I realize my original question wasn’t worded properly so I edited it to reflect that I would only be buying riviera because it’s the only available currently that isn’t so expensive in order to retain perks. But I plan on buying at OKW resale for the stays of a 1/2BR for at least 10 days each twice a year.
Isn't the direct price of OKW still lower than the direct price of Riviera after current discounts? You could buy 125 OKW points direct for the perks and then buy enough additional resale points at OKW to cover your planned stays. Keep in mind that not only are OKW points less expensive, they go farther, too, because of the difference in points charts between OKW and RIV.

Isn't the direct price of OKW still lower than the direct price of Riviera after current discounts? You could buy 125 OKW points direct for the perks and then buy enough additional resale points at OKW to cover your planned stays. Keep in mind that not only are OKW points less expensive, they go farther, too, because of the difference in points charts between OKW and RIV.
I checked today with an agent and it was 165

Buying a direct contract for the "perks" may not make financial sense.
Add in buying contracts at two resorts to do it, and the resulting issues in booking what you want in home resort, and it starts to make even less sense. RIV and OKW cannot be used together until 7 months.

I would take multiple steps back and evaluate why it is important to have perks. Unless APs come back and you are a power user of the discount, the financials are pretty bad. It's the only perk worth legit money, and could change radically on return of APs.

I would only be buying riviera because it’s the only available currently that isn’t so expensive in order to retain perks.
It sounds like you think this saves you money. OKW direct is $165. RIV is $195, and a minimum contract isn't getting incentives right now (or maybe ever) - you have to buy 150+ direct to get incentive, and at 150 you get an incentive of $5 per point, bringing the cost to $190pp for a resort you aren't intending to use home resort for.

A 125-pointer at RIV costs $24,375 plus closing.
125 points direct from OKW is $20,625 plus closing.
You can get 150 points resale at OKW around $15,750 or so, which is already a $5k savings and more points.

And because you are looking at needing more points resale anyway, it is worth noting that a 250-pointer at OKW can be had for $95-98pp, which represents another thousand plus in savings on that first 150.

The Gold is only available to FL and DVC, but the typical AP discount is roughly $100-150. So you'd need to buy 35 to "make up" the financial difference on that RIV contract vs. OKW direct, and more than that to make up resale differences. How many years would that take, for a not-guaranteed perk?

You can get most of the dining discounts via other means, so I am ignoring them. TOTWL is open to resale. The Epcot Lounge is not a permanent feature, and DVC has never added lounges in other parks and have had time if they wanted to. Every other perk is the opportunity to pay for something.

Maybe it's emotional. Some people want a blue card for the emotion. But own that and know that savings are harder to make work with math.

RIV is nice if that's where you want to land. If it is, great, buy it. But don't buy it because "perks."

Buying a direct contract for the "perks" may not make financial sense.
Add in buying contracts at two resorts to do it, and the resulting issues in booking what you want in home resort, and it starts to make even less sense. RIV and OKW cannot be used together until 7 months.

I would take multiple steps back and evaluate why it is important to have perks. Unless APs come back and you are a power user of the discount, the financials are pretty bad. It's the only perk worth legit money, and could change radically on return of APs.

It sounds like you think this saves you money. OKW direct is $165. RIV is $195, and a minimum contract isn't getting incentives right now (or maybe ever) - you have to buy 150+ direct to get incentive, and at 150 you get an incentive of $5 per point, bringing the cost to $190pp for a resort you aren't intending to use home resort for.

A 125-pointer at RIV costs $24,375 plus closing.
125 points direct from OKW is $20,625 plus closing.
You can get 150 points resale at OKW around $15,750 or so, which is already a $5k savings and more points.

And because you are looking at needing more points resale anyway, it is worth noting that a 250-pointer at OKW can be had for $95-98pp, which represents another thousand plus in savings on that first 150.

The Gold is only available to FL and DVC, but the typical AP discount is roughly $100-150. So you'd need to buy 35 to "make up" the financial difference on that RIV contract vs. OKW direct, and more than that to make up resale differences. How many years would that take, for a not-guaranteed perk?

You can get most of the dining discounts via other means, so I am ignoring them. TOTWL is open to resale. The Epcot Lounge is not a permanent feature, and DVC has never added lounges in other parks and have had time if they wanted to. Every other perk is the opportunity to pay for something.

Maybe it's emotional. Some people want a blue card for the emotion. But own that and know that savings are harder to make work with math.

RIV is nice if that's where you want to land. If it is, great, buy it. But don't buy it because "perks."
I was just talking with a resale agent about a hybrid option and looking at “Sold out properties” at OKW for 165/point or other legacy resorts with resale points going around 89/point. I’m mostly looking for the AP and TIW at a minimum to go with my future DVC purchase, as well as getting into EMH and AHP

EMH and AHP
If you mean the DVC after hours events, those have been cancelled and may never return.

EMH was available to all resort guests but has been wildly neutered now to a mere half hour. It is not DVC exclusive, and direct/resale has no bearing.

If you mean the DVC after hours events, those have been cancelled and may never return.

EMH was available to all resort guests but has been wildly neutered now to a mere half hour. It is not DVC exclusive, and direct/resale has no bearing.
I hope the after hours party returns. I loved those nights. But that’s good to know about the EMH

I hope the after hours party returns. I loved those nights. But that’s good to know about the EMH
Even when they had after hours parties, there was no guarantee that you would be able to get a ticket. Some of those went fast.

Even when they had after hours parties, there was no guarantee that you would be able to get a ticket. Some of those went fast.
Or that it would coincide with your trip. They were not always announced 11+ months out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter