DVC rental site question but don't know where to post

Sorry, I am not sure where to post this question but when I went to the DVC forums they seem very strict and organized which is great but don't want to post a question there if not allowed. If this needs to be there then by all means, move it.

After booking a room for next fall at Poly, we decided to shop around and try to find a cheaper price but still be able to stay there since it's on our bucket list. Since it seems Poly rooms are booking fast in the fall, I'm assuming there won't be any discounts that come up.

I was about to pull the trigger on David's DVC but then found DVC-rental and was able to put in a request to see availability without committing and without a down payment. I've heard of others using David's with a good outcome but never heard of DVC-rental. Is this place legit? They actually had availability for Poly for our dates.
The price to rent DVC is about $1800 cheaper. Is there a catch? Why don't people do this all the time. What will we miss out on in the planning stages and in the actual vacation if we rent DVC?

Thanks for the help!
I've used both. I think DVC rental can be slightly more expensive but not significantly (like $0.50-$1/point).

While both companies have the same DVC inventory, they have different owners so different amounts of points available before the 7 month mark. The only places I had issues were for Poly or Copper Creek, but I found an individual renter who has points.

It's also worth mentioning that when you book Polynesian DVC, you get a second washroom in your studio with a shower (in addition to the tub in the other bathroom).

The bathrooms in deluxe studios at poly are also just better in general.

As for why more people don't rent points when it can save money - there are several reasons:
First, many people don't know about renting points, although it is becoming more popular. Plus, if Disney has a hefty enough discount it doesn't always pencil out that renting points is cheaper.
Second, there is some risk as it is a private transaction and Disney will not get involved if there are issues - going through a broker like Davids or others lessens that risk since they've vetted their owners presumably and David's at least will guarantee your money back if something goes wrong. There is a slight risk - the something that could go wrong is the owner fails to pay their maintenance fees or loan and DVC cancels their bookings (that happened a few years ago and the rental brokers either refunded the renters or found them alternate DVC accommodations.) The owner has complete control of the reservation and could cancel or change it - I'm checking in tomorrow using my own points, but if I wanted I could go online right now and cancel my trip. I've never heard of that happening w/ points from any of the brokers. Along those lines I have read of con artists posing as owners and ripping unsuspecting renters off - but that is a concern w/ private party rentals more than the brokers and the stickies in the DVC section have suggestions for how to protect yourself from scammers.
Third, there are differences, the no housekeeping except on day 4 of stays of 8 nights or longer has been mentioned (but you can pay for extra housekeeping days and for extra sets of towels if you like.) Check in is not until 4 pm (although as w/ all Disney on site accommodations if your villa is ready earlier you'll be able to get into it earlier.) The popular DVC resorts are basically 100% booked, thus if you were hoping for a certain location or view and get something else you can't ask the front desk to change you as there's no where else to move you to usually. Plus if you request a move and you get it after you've been to your villa you'll be charged a moving fee. There's also basically 0% chance of being pixie dusted an upgrade. The studio bedding configuration of 1 queen bed plus a pull out sofa doesn't suit everyone, some prefer to have a room w/ 2 queen beds.
Fourth, to get a popular resort at a popular time you need to find, or the broker needs to have, an owner who owns at your preferred resort around 11 months before check in - that doesn't always happen, most buy their DVC points to use on their own vacations, thus there may not be availability for the resort you want when you want it.
Fifth, to really take advantage of DVC you have to be a planner - to be willing to commit and in some cases pay 100% for your villa price around 11 months before you arrive - some simply can't pay that lump sum up front or they begin planning their vacation too close to arrival for there to be any availability at their resort of choice.

We've used David's 3 times and have had no issues. Here's the thing about availability. If DVC-Rental has inventory, so does David's. All rental brokers have access to the same rooms--whatever the DVC inventory availability is. I would say there are two main disadvantages to renting points: 1) if you have to cancel, you're basically out of luck if you don't purchase insurance, and 2) you don't control the reservation--meaning you have to go though David's (or whoever) if you want to add dining plan, etc. That being said, it will save you a TON of money over a cash reservation for the same room.

They have access to the same rooms but they may not have members to book those rooms. Between 7 and 11 months, they have to have a member who owns at your requested resort. One may have a member available to rent, one may not.

As for why more people don't rent points when it can save money - there are several reasons:
First, many people don't know about renting points, although it is becoming more popular. Plus, if Disney has a hefty enough discount it doesn't always pencil out that renting points is cheaper.
Second, there is some risk as it is a private transaction and Disney will not get involved if there are issues - going through a broker like Davids or others lessens that risk since they've vetted their owners presumably and David's at least will guarantee your money back if something goes wrong. There is a slight risk - the something that could go wrong is the owner fails to pay their maintenance fees or loan and DVC cancels their bookings (that happened a few years ago and the rental brokers either refunded the renters or found them alternate DVC accommodations.) The owner has complete control of the reservation and could cancel or change it - I'm checking in tomorrow using my own points, but if I wanted I could go online right now and cancel my trip. I've never heard of that happening w/ points from any of the brokers. Along those lines I have read of con artists posing as owners and ripping unsuspecting renters off - but that is a concern w/ private party rentals more than the brokers and the stickies in the DVC section have suggestions for how to protect yourself from scammers.
Third, there are differences, the no housekeeping except on day 4 of stays of 8 nights or longer has been mentioned (but you can pay for extra housekeeping days and for extra sets of towels if you like.) Check in is not until 4 pm (although as w/ all Disney on site accommodations if your villa is ready earlier you'll be able to get into it earlier.) The popular DVC resorts are basically 100% booked, thus if you were hoping for a certain location or view and get something else you can't ask the front desk to change you as there's no where else to move you to usually. Plus if you request a move and you get it after you've been to your villa you'll be charged a moving fee. There's also basically 0% chance of being pixie dusted an upgrade. The studio bedding configuration of 1 queen bed plus a pull out sofa doesn't suit everyone, some prefer to have a room w/ 2 queen beds.
Fourth, to get a popular resort at a popular time you need to find, or the broker needs to have, an owner who owns at your preferred resort around 11 months before check in - that doesn't always happen, most buy their DVC points to use on their own vacations, thus there may not be availability for the resort you want when you want it.
Fifth, to really take advantage of DVC you have to be a planner - to be willing to commit and in some cases pay 100% for your villa price around 11 months before you arrive - some simply can't pay that lump sum up front or they begin planning their vacation too close to arrival for there to be any availability at their resort of choice.
This is a great help. I will only use a broker like David's not someone on the site. I am a huge planner and always book our vacations a year out. We don't mind the second queen being a sofa at all.
Thank you for your thorough explanation.

Does everyone think Poly is a good choice? I only wish AKL was closer to everything .What a beautiful resort but we felt secluded there.
I'm kind of bummed Poly doesn't have an arcade or playground. We wanted to spend more time at the resort this vacation.
I absolutely love the WL theming but DH wants to be on the monorail this year. I do not like the theme of BLT. I'm debating on looking into VGF but Poly has been on my bucket list and this is the year to try it. I keep saying "I" because Dh really doesn't have a preference and it's my 40th we are celebrating so he wants me to choose.

So do you suggest staying poly? Did you like it over bcv?

I'd say poly becuase you're going in September. Typically Poly is significantly more points than Beach Club, but September has such good rates that you should take advantage of it. It's also great theming for kids. Both pools are great. The boats and monorails are also great additions.

I'd say poly becuase you're going in September. Typically Poly is significantly more points than Beach Club, but September has such good rates that you should take advantage of it. It's also great theming for kids. Both pools are great. The boats and monorails are also great additions.
I definitely suggest BCV, especially since it is for September. Epcot Food & Wine Festival will be going on. The BCV location, at any time of the year- but especially during F & W, can not be underestimated.

I have rented 4 times right from here, really good results for us and we saved a good amount of money! The only thing that makes me a little nervous is if you had to cancel it is more difficult. We never did and I would do it rent again. I found the members here on the Dis were very easy to work with and fair.

Are we talking about DVC Rental Store of DVC Rental? Sorry, I'm confused lol :P. We've used the DVC Rental Store after my hubby sold his points & they were terrific to work with!

Pretty sure all DVC resorts have a community hall (the room to which you are referring :))

Nope. Beach Club Villas doesn't. I don't remember seeing one at Wilderness Lodge, although I wasn't looking for it.

I definitely suggest BCV, especially since it is for September. Epcot Food & Wine Festival will be going on. The BCV location, at any time of the year- but especially during F & W, can not be underestimated.

That's such a good point, I didn't even consider that. (And we stayed at Beach Club last september for Food & Wine........)

We’ve done food and wine enough times to not really care. I think because our little one is so much fun at this age we will be more focused on magic kingdom this time around. I also don’t have a huge Disney feeling when I stayed at bc. Maybe it’s because we are from New England. When I was young there were only the monorail resorts and we stayed at CR every year and every time we visited poly I always said I will stay there one year. Now at almost 40 I think the time has come. I know I asked about suggestions on other resorts but now that I am typing this out I guess I already made my mind up. Though I’m curious about VGF. I like their mini water park area for the kids.

Are we talking about DVC Rental Store of DVC Rental? Sorry, I'm confused lol :P. We've used the DVC Rental Store after my hubby sold his points & they were terrific to work with!
This is the email they sent me a request from.
dvc-rental.com> I'm assuming it's not the rental store. Are there actually two with such similar names?

This is the email they sent me a request from.
dvc-rental.com> I'm assuming it's not the rental store. Are there actually two with such similar names?

There sure are! We've used DVC Rental Store (love them) but now you've introduced me to dvc-rental as well. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter