DVC rental site question but don't know where to post

monica9

DIS Veteran
Sorry, I am not sure where to post this question but when I went to the DVC forums they seem very strict and organized which is great but don't want to post a question there if not allowed. If this needs to be there then by all means, move it.

After booking a room for next fall at Poly, we decided to shop around and try to find a cheaper price but still be able to stay there since it's on our bucket list. Since it seems Poly rooms are booking fast in the fall, I'm assuming there won't be any discounts that come up.

I was about to pull the trigger on David's DVC but then found DVC-rental and was able to put in a request to see availability without committing and without a down payment. I've heard of others using David's with a good outcome but never heard of DVC-rental. Is this place legit? They actually had availability for Poly for our dates.
The price to rent DVC is about $1800 cheaper. Is there a catch? Why don't people do this all the time. What will we miss out on in the planning stages and in the actual vacation if we rent DVC?

Thanks for the help!

Sorry, I am not sure where to post this question but when I went to the DVC forums they seem very strict and organized which is great but don't want to post a question there if not allowed. If this needs to be there then by all means, move it.

After booking a room for next fall at Poly, we decided to shop around and try to find a cheaper price but still be able to stay there since it's on our bucket list. Since it seems Poly rooms are booking fast in the fall, I'm assuming there won't be any discounts that come up.

I was about to pull the trigger on David's DVC but then found DVC-rental and was able to put in a request to see availability without committing and without a down payment. I've heard of others using David's with a good outcome but never heard of DVC-rental. Is this place legit? They actually had availability for Poly for our dates.
The price to rent DVC is about $1800 cheaper. Is there a catch? Why don't people do this all the time. What will we miss out on in the planning stages and in the actual vacation if we rent DVC?

Thanks for the help!
I have tried davids but they never had what i wanted for my dates. I got the deposit back right away.

I don't do DVC mainly because I do straight room res so I have up to 5 days prior to cancel or change the party.

For my family things are always changing. It just hasn't been the best option for us.

Although for savings I could see it as advantage if our situation ever changes.

Thanks for the help!

If you are speaking about DVC Rental Store, I have used them many times and never had an issue. There are no "catches". Be sure to read the contract and understand it--you cannot cancel once booked, etc. With DVC Rental Store, your deposit is paid when you have them put the search out not when they determine availability. It may take a few weeks or longer to secure a renter for your resort. Again, just read the FAQs on the page and there is also a FB page that is sponsored by that company.

The DVC board on the DIS is primarily for those who are members, but others do post. If you go to the DVC Rent/Trade board, there are good stickies about renting point. There are also DIS members who frequently rent their own points at a lesser rate than offered by David's or DVC Rental Store. Again, read the stickies on that page which provide great advice when renting DVC points. Frankly, there are horror stories out there, but very few considering the number of rentals made. Good luck!

We've used David's 3 times and have had no issues. Here's the thing about availability. If DVC-Rental has inventory, so does David's. All rental brokers have access to the same rooms--whatever the DVC inventory availability is. I would say there are two main disadvantages to renting points: 1) if you have to cancel, you're basically out of luck if you don't purchase insurance, and 2) you don't control the reservation--meaning you have to go though David's (or whoever) if you want to add dining plan, etc. That being said, it will save you a TON of money over a cash reservation for the same room.

I have tried davids but they never had what i wanted for my dates. I got the deposit back right away.

I don't do DVC mainly because I do straight room res so I have up to 5 days prior to cancel or change the party.

For my family things are always changing. It just hasn't been the best option for us.

Although for savings I could see it as advantage if our situation ever changes.[/QUOTE
Makes sense for your family. Not being able to switch dates gets me nervous too.

If you are speaking about DVC Rental Store, I have used them many times and never had an issue. There are no "catches". Be sure to read the contract and understand it--you cannot cancel once booked, etc. With DVC Rental Store, your deposit is paid when you have them put the search out not when they determine availability. It may take a few weeks or longer to secure a renter for your resort. Again, just read the FAQs on the page and there is also a FB page that is sponsored by that company.

The DVC board on the DIS is primarily for those who are members, but others do post. If you go to the DVC Rent/Trade board, there are good stickies about renting point. There are also DIS members who frequently rent their own points at a lesser rate than offered by David's or DVC Rental Store. Again, read the stickies on that page which provide great advice when renting DVC points. Frankly, there are horror stories out there, but very few considering the number of rentals made. Good luck!
Good to know about the few weeks it might take.

We've used David's 3 times and have had no issues. Here's the thing about availability. If DVC-Rental has inventory, so does David's. All rental brokers have access to the same rooms--whatever the DVC inventory availability is. I would say there are two main disadvantages to renting points: 1) if you have to cancel, you're basically out of luck if you don't purchase insurance, and 2) you don't control the reservation--meaning you have to go though David's (or whoever) if you want to add dining plan, etc. That being said, it will save you a TON of money over a cash reservation for the same room.
That's good that they have the same inventory access. Not being able to cancel is a huge concern but then again we've been going to Disney quite often for the past 8 years and never needed to. I bet insurance will STILL save us money in the end! Part of the fun for me is planning a year out and booking my own ADR's and Fast passes. The one time I used a travel agent she took a shower before calling disney the morning of our ADR's and I didn't get one of the restaurants. I wanted to scream! Since we have been there enough, at this point I don't care where we eat and which fast passes we get. We've done it all so I won't be as upset. But it will be wonderful to save $1500!

Thanks for the help!

DVC-Rental (dvc-rental.com) is different from the DVC Rental Store (dvcrentalstore.com).

Personally, I used David's a couple of times and they were great to deal with....the only 'problem' that I found was that it was a slippery slope from renting to buying lol

You actually can still control fastpasses, ADRs, etc. David's or DVC Rental will give you a reservation number once your reservation is confirmed. You link that to your MDE account and then can do all our reserving. It's only the dining plan that you have to go through the original renter for. Also, if you have a specific room request, the owner would have to do that piece for you as well. Otherwise, you can do all the same things you'd be able to do otherwise. And the cost of insurance shouldn't be more than a couple hundred dollars max, depending on number of guests, length of stay, etc. Also, I'm a DVC member, so have access to check inventory. If you've got specific dates planned already, I can take a look and tell you if what you want is available.

ADVC Point renal is a signed contract. You need to read the stickies mentioned earlier and understand what you are commuting to.
A 7 night reservation on points will not have Mousekeeping. Trash is now emptied daily as part of the security check system. Towels removed and replaced on day 4. Toiletries and coffee are only replenished at this time as well. They don’t clean, just do the things mentioned.

There is no catch (in the sense of it being fake). It's cheaper because you're booking it from someone who "owns" it. It's like renting someone's timeshare at another resort, it ends up being cheaper than buying direct.

The only "catch" is that you can't cancel it or change the booking once you book it through David's or another company. You also don't get DVC member discounts (but you do get free hotel parking). Also, you typically need to plan your vacation much further out than originally because DVC rooms get booked up fast.

For example, we booked our two upcoming trips 9 and 10 months in advance.

We've used David's (Polynesian @ $17 per point) and everything went smoothly. You can still control fastpasses, add ADR, do magical express, etc. (You link your reservation to your MDE app.)

We now just book straight from members for a bit cheaper. We create and sign contracts with them, and if you build a good enough relationship with the owner, you can sometimes edit your booking or cancel it last minute. But for a first-timer, I'd suggest using David's or DVC rental because everything is taken care of for you and they do the heavy lifting (hence why it's a bit more expensive).

If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I've learned a lot about this over the past couple of years.

You actually can still control fastpasses, ADRs, etc. David's or DVC Rental will give you a reservation number once your reservation is confirmed. You link that to your MDE account and then can do all our reserving. It's only the dining plan that you have to go through the original renter for. Also, if you have a specific room request, the owner would have to do that piece for you as well. Otherwise, you can do all the same things you'd be able to do otherwise. And the cost of insurance shouldn't be more than a couple hundred dollars max, depending on number of guests, length of stay, etc. Also, I'm a DVC member, so have access to check inventory. If you've got specific dates planned already, I can take a look and tell you if what you want is available.
Yes! Thank you!
I booked AoA from sept 29-oct 1 becasue our little one loves little mermaid. We are then booked at Poly from Oct 1-7 BUT we are completley flexible with our dates. We would like to go end of September but not later than mid October. If we do DVC we will chance AoA to only 1 night and do 7 nights Poly.
So 6 or 7 nights Poly end of September to mid October
2 adults
1 9yr old
1 2yr old
preferably standard view

ADVC Point renal is a signed contract. You need to read the stickies mentioned earlier and understand what you are commuting to.
A 7 night reservation on points will not have Mousekeeping. Trash is now emptied daily as part of the security check system. Towels removed and replaced on day 4. Toiletries and coffee are only replenished at this time as well. They don’t clean, just do the things mentioned.
Yes, I do remember hearing they don't do mousekeeping unless you are there a certain length of time. Don't mind that at all.

There is no catch (in the sense of it being fake). It's cheaper because you're booking it from someone who "owns" it. It's like renting someone's timeshare at another resort, it ends up being cheaper than buying direct.

The only "catch" is that you can't cancel it or change the booking once you book it through David's or another company. You also don't get DVC member discounts (but you do get free hotel parking). Also, you typically need to plan your vacation much further out than originally because DVC rooms get booked up fast.

For example, we booked our two upcoming trips 9 and 10 months in advance.

We've used David's (Polynesian @ $17 per point) and everything went smoothly. You can still control fastpasses, add ADR, do magical express, etc. (You link your reservation to your MDE app.)

We now just book straight from members for a bit cheaper. We create and sign contracts with them, and if you build a good enough relationship with the owner, you can sometimes edit your booking or cancel it last minute. But for a first-timer, I'd suggest using David's or DVC rental because everything is taken care of for you and they do the heavy lifting (hence why it's a bit more expensive).

If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I've learned a lot about this over the past couple of years.
Wait, DVC owners get free parking even with the new parking fee? That was a big problem with us when we booked because we were thinking about driving this time since my husband has ear problems with flying. That would be a big bonus for us if parking is free if we go the DVC route.

Wait, DVC owners get free parking even with the new parking fee? That was a big problem with us when we booked because we were thinking about driving this time since my husband has ear problems with flying. That would be a big bonus for us if parking is free if we go the DVC route.

Yes, parking would be free with a rental.

Yep. Any stay at DVC resorts while using DVC points (either rented or as an owner) means you don't have to pay for parking.

But, if you book a DVC villa straight through Disney's site with cash, you still have to pay for parking.

In general, an agency that costs less is paying owners less for their points.

So an agency paying less will get fewer premium points. There is no reason a Poly owner should accept $2 per point less, KWIM?

You can try the cheapest option, but have a higher risk of not getting a booking.

You have all been so helpful.I have another question. We stayed at AKL last year and went over to Kidani Village and saw they had a nice common room with kids toys and games. Does Poly have that at their villas?

At this time, both the standard view and the lake view studios are available for that entire date range (Sept 29-Oct 7). The sooner the better in terms of booking, but definitely want to book that before Feb, as that is the 7-month mark (so when the booking opens up to all DVC owners, even if they don't own at Poly).

At this time, both the standard view and the lake view studios are available for that entire date range (Sept 29-Oct 7). The sooner the better in terms of booking, but definitely want to book that before Feb, as that is the 7-month mark (so when the booking opens up to all DVC owners, even if they don't own at Poly).
Thank you!

Thanks for the help!
Yes, we've used them multiple times as recent as September. They are wonderful and very legit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter