DVC Rental and CFAR Travel Insurance

jwb811

Earning My Ears
We are planning a WDW trip for March 2022, and are strongly considering DVC rental. We have rented DVC points several times before, but all were pre-COVID. If we go the DVC route, we would purchase “cancel for any reason” travel insurance and the plans I’ve seen pay out up to 75% of non-refundable costs. Does anyone with fairly recent (since COVID) experience with this have any good or bad experiences to share, or any recommendations or advice? Thanks!

I've not come across any CFAR insurance that doesn't entirely negate the savings of renting (and then some).

If someone is not comfortable assuming the risk associated with a nonrefundable reservation, he/she should book a cash reservation that can be cancelled. JMHO. YMMV.

I also want to add that I read a report that someone needed to provide proof of it being non refundable and being canceled.

Not sure if that was this type of insurance but it would be important to know exactly what would be required.

I would go cash if this is your concern. Disney's cash cancellation policies are quite generous, and sounds like that has value to you.

I also want to add that I read a report that someone needed to provide proof of it being non refundable and being canceled.

Not sure if that was this type of insurance but it would be important to know exactly what would be required.
Would the issue be providing proof of cancellation? I’ve never had to cancel before, so I’m just curious how that would work and if there would be a problem providing documentation to satisfy a requirement like this. TIA!

Would the issue be providing proof of cancellation? I’ve never had to cancel before, so I’m just curious how that would work and if there would be a problem providing documentation to satisfy a requirement like this. TIA!

When you rent with a broker, the owner is not allowed to cancel or they can be on the hook for other expenses.

I think some owners would be reluctant to do it..even if asked.. because of it.

If you rent privately, you’d have to discuss with the owner those options. The bigger problem is that it’s hard to prove the reservation has been canceled without an owner sending a screenshot of their account points activity page. So, any renter that needs to provide proof needs to be sure the owner is willing to do that.

Or, it could be as simple as having a contract that states it’s non refundable. In that case it’s easy

I don’t rent often to strangers but when I do, I’m pretty strict in my terms so I wouldn’t be comfortable doing either.

That is why it’s important to make sure you find someone with a rental agreement with that offers you what you want and need if one was to get this type of insurance. I am sure they are out there..especially since the pandemic.

Rentals are private transactions so all owners have different polices so finding a good fit is really important.

I have never gotten this type of travel insurance so I really don’t know what is involved for proof. Start there because then you know what would be needed and you can ensure that if you do go this route, getting that from the owner or broker is possible!!

When you rent with a broker, the owner is not allowed to cancel or they can be on the hook for other expenses.

I think some owners would be reluctant to do it..even if asked.. because of it.

If you rent privately, you’d have to discuss with the owner those options. The bigger problem is that it’s hard to prove the reservation has been canceled without an owner sending a screenshot of their account points activity page. So, any renter that needs to provide proof needs to be sure the owner is willing to do that.

Or, it could be as simple as having a contract that states it’s non refundable. In that case it’s easy

I don’t rent often to strangers but when I do, I’m pretty strict in my terms so I wouldn’t be comfortable doing either.

That is why it’s important to make sure you find someone with a rental agreement with that offers you what you want and need if one was to get this type of insurance. I am sure they are out there..especially since the pandemic.

Rentals are private transactions so all owners have different polices so finding a good fit is really important.

I have never gotten this type of travel insurance so I really don’t know what is involved for proof. Start there because then you know what would be needed and you can ensure that if you do go this route, getting that from the owner or broker is possible!!
This is extremely helpful. Thanks!

It seems even CFAR policies now have a pandemic clause, so they aren't as all encompassing as in the past.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter