• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC point balancing 2022 vs 2021

For what it’s worth - at this point, I am thinking it is unlikely that DVCMC will make any changes to 2022 point charts a month into the 2022 booking year. They have either 1) had a change in management philosophy and are intentionally attempting to increase their operating profit at members’ expense, 2) think that all is as it should be and they are on reasonable ground because they are acting in members’ collective best interests, or 3) there has been a significant “brain drain” from retirements, layoffs, and departures, affecting their ability to manage the point charts in a way that would keep them reasonably stable like they were up through 2020. The latter is another way of saying that they are either short-staffed or are just not as familiar with their operations, obligations and responsibilities to members perhaps because of employee turnover.

Since a “plot” to devalue members’ points would involve planning, coordination, and internal communication (things that many large organizations, including DVCMC, are usually not particularly good at), I am thinking that the 2022 changes are most likely explained by either 2 or 3 or some combination of both. This view appears to be consistent with
verbal explanations I’ve received about other seemingly strange things when I’ve made inquiries. They are always nice, polite, and professional, but, often, the explanations have suggested a lack of familiarity with their operations or “rules.”

Of course, another possibility is that they are operating in a high stress environment because of the pandemic and it’s possible implications for layoffs, resulting in less than perfect decisions and implementation

For what it’s worth - at this point, I am thinking it is unlikely that DVCMC will make any changes to 2022 point charts a month into the 2022 booking year. They have either 1) had a change in management philosophy and are intentionally attempting to increase their operating profit at members’ expense, 2) think that all is as it should be and they are on reasonable ground because they are acting in members’ collective best interests, or 3) there has been a significant “brain drain” from retirements, layoffs, and departures, affecting their ability to manage the point charts in a way that would keep them reasonably stable like they were up through 2020. The latter is another way of saying that they are either short-staffed or are just not as familiar with their operations, obligations and responsibilities to members perhaps because of employee turnover.

Since a “plot” to devalue members’ points would involve planning, coordination, and internal communication (things that many large organizations, including DVCMC, are usually not particularly good at), I am thinking that the 2022 changes are most likely explained by either 2 or 3 or some combination of both. This view appears to be consistent with
verbal explanations I’ve received about other seemingly strange things when I’ve made inquiries. They are always nice, polite, and professional, but, often, the explanations have suggested a lack of familiarity with their operations or “rules.”

Of course, another possibility is that they are operating in a high stress environment because of the pandemic and it’s possible implications for layoffs, resulting in less than perfect decisions and implementation

My guess is it's all three... starting with (1), where leadership asks all departments to come up with ways to increase revenue by X %.
Since they already maxed out savings by cutting as much staff as possible, that leaves them with (3) who think, "no problem, let's tweak the seasons".

What does one do in this situation? DVD is still worth it to me, but I don't think what they're doing is OK.
I assume people will need to get legal advice - I googled timeshare lawyers but that seems to just be for trying to sell underwater timeshares.

I guess one could file a complaint with the FTC, not sure how much good that would do.

I'm still working on it; they rescheduled my call three weeks out because of GFV reopening. After sending an email with a significant amount of data and line-by-line contract interpretation; they want to include Yvonne Chang on the call as well.
Do you have a date for the call?

I quoted a number of posts from @i<3riviera in my posts, and the information from those quotes is still available on this tread.
I also have a 6 page document of items from one of his last posts that I saved for my own use.
Moderators, can I post the information from that document, for those who might want that information?
I saw the charts are all posted on the other forum.

I never got a response and this is the first time in out membership that we have been ignored. They have done something we think is illegal. We would join a class action if it comes down to that.

The first email reply I received was a curt: "you didn't provide enough identifying information for me to respond to you". A stern follow up email finally prompted a reply from YC's assistant.

I think emails are currently triaged by amotivated general CM or outsourced call center staff. Your email might have been missed instead of passed up the chain.
I would try emailing DVCM again?

The first email reply I received was a curt: "you didn't provide enough identifying information for me to respond to you". A stern follow up email finally prompted a reply from YC's assistant.

I think emails are currently triaged by amotivated general CM or outsourced call center staff. Your email might have been missed instead of passed up the chain.
I would try emailing DVCM again?
We wrote a letter, sent snail mail. I suppose it may have gotten lost...will do it again.

I was promised a follow up after my call with YC in January, but nothing yet.
I think I'm going to write a compaint to the Florida regulators.

they told me they would call be back after they looked at the future years surplus if they kept the same seasons. ::crickets::

Why aren't they talking about it? I would think they would be all over this.
I've been thinking about this over the past few months, and have reasoned that we're probably not going to see the main content of this thread on a publication or podcast.
- The 2020 chart retraction was never covered well when that was occurring. Even podcasters knowledgeable about DVC were consistently not knowledgeable about the significant concerns that were clearly laid out in that thread. The very brief synopsis that were spoken often glossed over the deeper, more salient concerns also laid out in the thread.
- When the main concerns from this thread were raised very, very briefly in a DVC podcast, the answer from the podcasters was, "but that would be illegal" and then the subject was dropped. I inferred that to mean, because an act would be perceived as illegal, therefore DVC would not be engaging in it. However, this thread makes it pretty clear that DVC doesn't feel it is engaging in anything unallowable by contract, and many clear-eyed analysis in the thread surmises that DVC's viewpoint is indeed contrary to contract allowance.
- The DIS forum and the podcasts are a formal publication of the various entities sponsored by Dreams Unlimited Travel, and (more importantly) Dreams benefits from a cordial relationship with all facets of Disney. (Let's also remind ourselves of the new DVC business line.) Therefore, it's really not in their best interests to shine a spotlight on areas that may rise to requiring a Florida Regulator to formerly address and perhaps correct.
- I found the self-removal of some of the most vocal and data oriented forum users content interesting. I don't ascribe a reason behind it- but it is interesting.
- Ultimately, the podcasts have never fully grasped these issues in the 2020 point chart thread and this thread. It's almost like they skimmed the thread, rather than took the time to understand it. AND... that's okay. It's their prerogative to develop their content as they see fit. I'd rather hear well informed commentary on whatever they'd like to discuss.

I realize this might be disappointing for those that want to see a publicized spotlight on the disparate understandings for what our DVC contracts allow with respect to point chart allocations, the relative benefit of breakage, and the re-defining of base year. I just don't think that it's going to happen, and it's up to us as owners to reach out to the various entities for meaningful change (or at least exploration), whether that is DVC management, Florida regulator, or other overseeing body. I respect Dreams/DIS for choosing what they want to produce. It's completely their purview to do so.

2 years ago that is essentially what they tried to do then reverted. For a lot of years they never made any changes at all so no, it hadn't been common but the action 2 years ago should not be forgotten.

Precisely, 2 years ago Disney was creating points out of thin air with the 'lockoff premium'

To those that say points can vary how is that possible there are 365.25 days in a year and at least how it was described to us back when Dinosaurs roamed the earth there were a FIXED number of points available for accomodations per UY based on the units declared into the timeshare. UY's are also 365.25 days long we were also told that points could not increase or decrease unless the resort physically changed (natural disaster or addition to resort)

I also remember when association meetings were interactive with the Disney management, DVD would make the presentations of the numbers and the rest of the meeting was a interactive Q&A,

The meeting format changed back when the funny business began, The report would be given, the DVD execs would file out and sawdust cookies would be served, NO QUESTIONS ALLOWED.

Even when we were active members the numbers for housekeeping were always suspect because I was comparing a Hilton timeshare with a similar number of units in Manhattan with BLT and BLT was around 3x the cost in housekeeping as the Hilton in Manhattan and how could that be because in no category was NYC a lower cost market than Orlando.

Ultimately we sold our 800 DVC points and bought a cessna 172 for vacation adventures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter