DVC point balancing 2022 vs 2021

This was an issue much discussed on these boards when DVC attempted to raise the points for studios and 1BRs almost year-round in the initial 2020 point charts. Based on the provisions of the DVC Membership Agreement, the Product Understanding summaries DVC provided to purchasers, and other representations made at the time of purchase, particularly in the earlier years, 1990s to the early 2000's, there is a very strong argument that DVC is not legally allowed to move points from one room category (such as a 2BR) to another room category (such as a studio). DVC can respond to "seasonal" changes by lowering points in one season and raising them in another for the same room category but it never reserved the right to correct room-size demand differences by moving points from one room category to another. It is noteworthy that DVC did not actually deny it made those prior representations during the controversy involving those 2020 charts, but instead asserted that it is not bound by prior representations made to purchasers.

Many support the idea of moving points from one room size to another in the hopes that it will lower 1BRs. The problem is that once you concede DVC can legally shift points from one room size to another, you will be inviting exactly what DVC attempted to do in 2020 -- raise points for any room size it felt like raising; in that situation both studios and 1BRs, while lowering them in others. In other words, one should never assume the members' grant of power to DVC to do something will mean it will be used in your favor.

Note, it is true that the modern DVC has moved points before in the last ten years, e.g., it raised points needed for treehouses by 15% year round, while lowering by a a small amount other rooms at SSR. The fact that it was done does not make it legal. The thing is no one sued over such prior changes. But the treehouse fiasco demonstrates how the modern DVC can act if power is conceded. The treehouses originally had the same point cost as 2BRs. DVD sold those treehouse points, partly using the promotion that the purchaser could get the three bedroom treehouse for the same nightly point cost as a 2BR. As soon as the treehouses reached the level of sell-out, DVC raised the nightly points needed by 15%. That is the kind of change you would get if members conceded generally that points could be moved from one room-size to another. You would be expecting a lowering of points needed for something like 1BRs and instead get an increase.

I see your point: if DVCM doesn't make changes, they can't make any mischief. This is a perfectly reasonable position. Two point charts in three years challenged and withdrawn, do not engender trust in DVCM's intentions or execution.

I don't much care how DVCM wants to reallocate points (between units/seasons), as long as total points stay neutral. But, I would protest every time DVCM fails to honor that basic obligation, regardless of whether the reallocations benefit my booking preferences.

Against all odds, a few people complaining succeeded to make a big corporation to rollback changes. I'll take that as a victory.

There are legal requirements for DVC to follow and they likely know its better to roll things back then have people filing lawsuits which IMO have factual information which could get DVC in trouble, make them look bad, and possibly expose other things during discovery.

I am not a lawyer though obviously.

I don't much care how DVCM wants to reallocate points (between units/seasons), as long as total points stay neutral. But, I would protest every time DVCM fails to honor that basic obligation, regardless of whether the reallocations benefit my booking preferences.

Total point count impacts all of us, no matter what we are booking.

This is our corporation. These are our buildings. If it's going to be off a little, shouldn't it be off in our favor?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter