DVC must stop rentals.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure that is what people are trying to do. It’s just that once you are an owner you get to know more about the system and how other owners use their points to maximize ownership.

I do agree that highlighting how hard certain reservations will be is not going to happen unless you find it in your research. Many new owners think DVC booking might match cash booking and it doesn’t.

But, the reality is that certain times of the year, booking at 11 months is needed in a point based system to secure certain rooms. And things have changed over the 13 years I have owned,

I used to have no problem getting SV studios at BWV for Columbus Day weekend when I owned there…then I couldn’t…so I had to adjust.

The great thing about the boards is you will learn and figure out how to maximize your ownership!

I think that there has been a tightening of availability due to revenge travel. A lot of people didn't feel comfortable or were unsure about what their country's rules concerning foreign travel when it came time to book for spring break and early summer. That has only intensified competition to book non-home resorts at 7 months for the fall. There will always be periods when certain studios will be difficult to reserve. But this year has been especially hard.
Totally agree on the revenge travel. Demand is sky high. Perhaps we are getting more complaints because we are in the 7 month window for booking the DVC busy season.

I agree with concern of spec renting as an issue because I think it blurs line into commercial renting and can negatively impact booking patterns. My issue is any solution to prevent it based on number of bookings or name changes imo would be more negative then the practice. The only solution I would be supportive of is if they tried to regulate from advertisment side to some degree (e.g. they target people who are openly posting multiple rentals that’s clear commercial use).

On the other topic I can’t remotely see how anyone would have problem with what Sandisw does. The idea of booking multiple trips and canceling what you don’t need isnt abuse but is way the system is designed to function and is as far from abuse as I can imagine. The whole system is based on booking your resort at 11mos then trying to switch at 7mos. This almost always results in me booking multiple trips over different weeks at different places as I try to string days together that become a possible trip. I’m not sure anyone is recommending changes but any change to limit ability of guests to do this would be complete destruction of the product.

Honestly, I don’t think most here have an issue with how I use my membership and I take no offense in anyway!

I think it does bring up the point that any meaningful changes to the system to try and curb spec renting or certain owners renting a lot of points, will do more harm than good to owners who bought and use for personal use.

I feel this isn’t a productive conversation, but your speculative booking means people who actually want to go, can’t. That’s just a fact.

It is what it is. Don’t like, sell my points, I know I know.

Booking 11 months out is pretty much speculative booking for everyone because a lot can happen in 11 months. Since owning DVC in 2019, I booked a studio for President's Day week at 11 months every year because it's NE mid-winter break for my kid. As the date gets closer, other things come up. Hell, I balked on my trip 3 months ago because airfare from NYC was $1100/person! That said, being able to rent out my reservation was a Godsend, since they were banked points that would expire. If I needed points or a reservation, I'd scour the RT forum and rent someone else's points at the same rate and it would be a "wash" in my mind.

If my sister tells me now that she'd might want to go to WDW in November, I'd snag up a room for her within minutes if it's available. If she decides not to go, I'll cancel. I don't see anything wrong with this at all. Early bird gets the worm, so I'm not waiting until that worm is gone.

23 pages in and I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is. I'm not talking about the OP. I get OP's issue. They were used to booking Jersey week 6 months out and the availability wasn't there this year. OK, totally get that. But there seems to be a lot of other comments on availability. For many of these other comments, what is the actual problem? Is the problem you can't get what you want at 11 months? AKV value studios were hard to get 5 years ago. That hasn't changed. Are there other studios that are harder to get now at 11 months as compared to pre-pandemic? Or are people finding that their SSR points aren't quite as useful at the 7 month window? I know people want to blame renting, but it's just one factor out of many that all add up to the same thing: higher demand looking for the same number of rooms.
There is no problem. Even the OP’s problem isn’t one since he could have booked at his home resort for 5 months but choose not to. People just want to dictate to others how they feel they should use their membership and enact rules to enforce their point of view.

23 pages in and I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is. I'm not talking about the OP. I get OP's issue. They were used to booking Jersey week 6 months out and the availability wasn't there this year. OK, totally get that. But there seems to be a lot of other comments on availability. For many of these other comments, what is the actual problem? Is the problem you can't get what you want at 11 months? AKV value studios were hard to get 5 years ago. That hasn't changed. Are there other studios that are harder to get now at 11 months as compared to pre-pandemic? Or are people finding that their SSR points aren't quite as useful at the 7 month window? I know people want to blame renting, but it's just one factor out of many that all add up to the same thing: higher demand looking for the same number of rooms.
For me personally (& I can only speak for myself) it’s the impact it’s having on certain resorts and especially “spec” rentals if you want to call it that.

In these groups renters want bcv/bwv above most others (low point chart compared to blt or riv etc). And they want *studios*.

Bcv is a home resort. I understand why it’s so popular, and competition is fierce there The spec rentals there aren’t even necessarily special events. People on these pages are not, for the most part, offering points up… they’re offering part/weeks… almost all the rentals are specs. It’s nothing like the boards here which try to discourage that behaviour.

There is no problem. Even the OP’s problem isn’t one since he could have booked at his home resort for 5 months but choose not to. People just want to dictate to others how they feel they should use their membership and enact rules to enforce their point of view.
What do you mean I could have booked at my home resort for 5 months?

What do you mean I could have booked at my home resort for 5 months?
You own OKW, right? You could have booked there 5 months ago in December 2021 for Jersey Week. In all likelihood you could have booked your dates for months, but you waited 5 months and a full month after the 7 month window opened.

Last edited:
You own OKW, right? You could have booked there 5 months ago in December 2021 for Jersey Week. In all likelihood you could have booked your dates for months, but you waited 5 months and a full month after the 7 month window opened.
I waited till I knew I wanted to go.

Fair enough. Other people made their decision sooner and used their points before you did. That happens all the time. We all learn what works and what doesn’t. Waiting 5 months didn’t work. I do hope everything works out for you.
Yes. Other people decided sooner. Other people booked spec weeks to rent.

Other people booked spec weeks for their great aunt from the fathers side who mentioned one time she likes Kissimmee in the fall. 😂

Joking about the third, but really, I’d just like a chance to decide, like I used to be able to do, hey, I’d like to use my timeshare in 6 months.

Sue me.

I know high demand means less availability and understand it. Just think it is not fair for renters get those rooms instead of owners. I talk about people who get rooms to rent at higher prices afterwards. There are many practices that Disney allows and I get it it's not illegal but selfish. As someone said above if we all do it it would be a mess. It is just a way of courtesy to other nembers

I've only been a member for a month and we are already planning to book copper creek 11 months out from our "planned" trips with our little girls. We bought their knowing we would want to stay there even if we can't find anything else. We will discuss at 7 months if we want to try to switch to another resort, if its not available, we stay at CCV.

I thought that was the whole point of buy where you want to stay? I'm specifically talking as a non local.

I saw the headline, scrolled to the end to post….

OP doesn’t seem to understand how the product works.

I’ll now leave.
Your assertion is debatable. He’s right about the rentals but it’s understandable that if you don’t own a resort that’s being targeted that you don’t care.

I've only been a member for a month and we are already planning to book copper creek 11 months out from our "planned" trips with our little girls. We bought their knowing we would want to stay there even if we can't find anything else. We will discuss at 7 months if we want to try to switch to another resort, if its not available, we stay at CCV.

I thought that was the whole point of buy where you want to stay? I'm specifically talking as a non local.
I hope you know that for Thanksgiving & Christmas you’ll need to walk your reservation if you want a studio. Or you can rent one off of a FB rental group.

I saw the headline, scrolled to the end to post….

OP doesn’t seem to understand how the product works.

I’ll now leave.
How it works and how it ought to work are two different things.

The product has a flaw that Disney has the ability to fix. I don't think it's productive to say "the flaw is just part of the system, everyone should deal with it." No, how about they fix the flaw?

Walking reservations is another symptom of the same problem. I don't blame members for walking. I blame Disney for pricing some rooms so low that walking is necessary to get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter