• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC monorail resort

200px-9f10.gif

:thumbsup2

This thread may be derailing (pun intended)...

From a technical standpoint, I don't think monorails are particularly cost effective - depending on the length of the run, etc.

It's not like you can purchase equipment off the rack like you can with some heavy rail or even light rail equipment. With DL (and later WDW) it was different - it represented a new, futuristic technology.

Implementing switching, etc. between tracks is problematic, making it impractical for extensive branching networks.

If we're talking a short "people-mover" run, it may be OK.

WDW is the only extensive, practical (non-amusement) use of a monorail in the US I can think of - Las Vagas and Seattle are still relatively short. And I'm sure the cost of expanding it is why you don't see extensions to MGM or AK. Buses are far most cost effective - and if one breaks down, you don't lose the entire loop...

And I AM a railfan...I'd much rather see more use of rails - mono and otherwise...

Get rid of ALL the parking lots except a central hub lot with monorail branches to all practical locations... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter