DVC monorail resort

simzac

DIS Veteran
I'm just curious what with the SSR threads here recently. How would everyone feel if DVC builds CRV or another monorail resort and it has exactly the same number of rooms as SSR? TIA

I'm just curious what with the SSR threads here recently. How would everyone feel if DVC builds CRV or another monorail resort and it has exactly the same number of rooms as SSR? TIA

I don't have a problem with any large DVC resorts. It's the small ones that bother me. Such a little tease. You think you can stay there, but all you can really do is visit. (Unless you buy it a ring and agree to marry it for the next 35 years, then schedule your "intimate dates" nearly a year in advance or else watch it go fawn over someone else who got in line first.)

I don't have a problem with any large DVC resorts. It's the small ones that bother me. Such a little tease. You think you can stay there, but all you can really do is visit. (Unless you buy it a ring and agree to marry it for the next 35 years, then schedule your "intimate dates" nearly a year in advance or else watch it go fawn over someone else who got in line first.)

Very clever! I've never seen the "buy where you want to stay the most" adage worded quite that way! :thumbsup2

simzac said:

I'm not exactly sure what your question is asking? Are you wanting people to say they'll be upset because another large DVC resort is being built? Or that it will be okay if it's on the monorail so people won't be buying there with hopes of staying elsewhere?

Just trying to figure out the question, and the reason for the question...I'm not getting it. :confused3

Very clever! I've never seen the "buy where you want to stay the most" adage worded quite that way! :thumbsup2

Thank you. The spirit of Richyams got to me I think. I've been reading far too many old threads.

I'm not exactly sure what your question is asking? Are you wanting people to say they'll be upset because another large DVC resort is being built? Or that it will be okay if it's on the monorail so people won't be buying there with hopes of staying elsewhere?

I thought it was a question meant to gauge reaction. So much is made of SSR being a large resort that's also away from a theme park. What if that large resort was near a theme park?

Anyway you slice it, I still think large resorts will end up overwhelming those small ones. But rather than being a factor of demand, it's a product of supply.

CRV will probably have a high demand, higher than the Epcot resorts because Magic Kingdom is indentified so much as "the" Disney park. And the monorail gives direct access to three resorts, with all their amenities, and two popular theme parks. But if it is large enough it should withstand demand far better and with less fuss than the so-called "little 3".

You are correct Brogan. I'm just curious if a large resort built where alot of DVC members want to own would bring the same objections as SSR. I feel it is a fair question. JMO

You are correct Brogan. I'm just curious if a large resort built where alot of DVC members want to own would bring the same objections as SSR. I feel it is a fair question. JMO

My guess:

When the resort is first announced for sale: DVC members and particular DISboarders will be doing backhanded somersaults of joy.

When the resort is opened and owners start competing for 7 month ressies: DVC members of smaller resorts will cry foul and accuse Disney of being greedy monoliths who built that monstrosity high rise just for pure profit. After all, everyone knows DVC owners are adults and adults prefer the restaurants of Epcot and nightlife of the Boardwalk far more. :eek:

Of course, privately the VWL owners will snicker to themselves as they toast the return of their relaxing refuge from those unwashed masses who only wanted to stay there for the ferry to MK.

I think it will really depend on the layout. If they build the CRV in the plan that has been floating around, and it had the same number of rooms in a 15 story tower (or how ever many it said), I wouldn't mind it. At SSR my main complaint is that some rooms are a 15 or so minute walk from the food court, guest services, etc. It's just not convienent, in my opinion. I guess I should say that SSR is too spread out for my taste.

I think it will really depend on the layout. If they build the CRV in the plan that has been floating around, and it had the same number of rooms in a 15 story tower (or how ever many it said), I wouldn't mind it. At SSR my main complaint is that some rooms are a 15 or so minute walk from the food court, guest services, etc. It's just not convienent, in my opinion. I guess I should say that SSR is too spread out for my taste.

Interesting response, Karen. I first stayed at SSR very early on in its development, so there were only 2 bus stops there at the time. Your response leads me to believe that there aren't enough bus stops at SSR. It isn't really any more spread out than OKW, and yet no matter where you are in OKW, it is relatively easy and quick to get to the main desk area by hopping on any bus that comes along. Is that not true at SSR now?

Actually, I would think filling the CRV tower could be a problem. For every person who wants to be closest to a park, there is probably a corresponding
person who wants to be away from the bustle. It is possible that CRV could fill both desires, since the tower is supposed to face the lake, but I don't really see it that way.

Rather than view it as a large resort near a park, I would view it as a large resort.....period. It will feel very Urban compared to SSR and OKW and AKV or even than VWL. VWL is also close to the same park, but with a rural rather than urban feel. I for one, would have zero interest in staying at CRV for the same reason I don't care for BWV. I'm just not sure the draw or problem is the large resort or the "feel" of the place.

I wouldn't mind if they built CRV, EP, the second rumored DTD location or something over at River Country.

I think a monorail resort would be great to have in the DVC system. My only concern is that that they don't make the resort too small.

I don't think you have to worry about a SSR type size at CRV, not enough space. But EP could be fairly large, if it gets built.

Actually, I would think filling the CRV tower could be a problem. For every person who wants to be closest to a park, there is probably a corresponding
person who wants to be away from the bustle.

I think you're a bit off here. There will always be more people who want that "prime" location near the MK. I have several friends who go to disney regularly that will only buy DVC when one is built on the monorail. My opinion is that if a CRV is built, it will sell out in record time.

Thanks. I didn't think it was unfair, I truly didn't understand what was being asked. Since I have no "objections" to SSR, I wasn't seeing what the question was.

Size can mean two things....acreage and number of villas. I don't know that if there is any land that could handle a resort the acreage of SSR on the monorail, but let's assume that there is. Imagine a monorail station where the boat dock is at SSR. If I'm staying in the Paddocks, for instance, I need to take a bus to get to the monorail. I can't see that as a good idea!

A resort the acreage size of SSR needs to be serviced by a bus route. Every resort on the monorail has easy walking access to the monorail by all guests.

If by size you mean number of villas, then the more compact hotel style might work. But to get the same number of villas as SSR, that would either be about 50 stories high or relatively long and spread out (in a manner that would put the BWV hallways to shame!). ;)

Again, I wouldn't have any objections to whatever DVC is built unless it is unpleasant to behold. And I am comfortable that Disney wouldn't do that. :)

I think you're a bit off here. There will always be more people who want that "prime" location near the MK. I have several friends who go to disney regularly that will only buy DVC when one is built on the monorail. My opinion is that if a CRV is built, it will sell out in record time.

My thoughts, too.
I also think that it might relieve some of the pressure on WLV, since much of the current demand may be for its proximity to the MK. If so, that would leave only BCV with the pressure (which Disney could relieve by building a YCV resort :thumbsup2 ).
These are only my thoughts, not even up to opinion level, and certainly not predictions (am I "flame-retardant" enough :teeth: ).

Interesting response, Karen. I first stayed at SSR very early on in its development, so there were only 2 bus stops there at the time. Your response leads me to believe that there aren't enough bus stops at SSR. It isn't really any more spread out than OKW, and yet no matter where you are in OKW, it is relatively easy and quick to get to the main desk area by hopping on any bus that comes along. Is that not true at SSR now?

Diane, I'm sure there are plenty of bus stops for the resort. I've stayed at SSR twice, both times for just one night. I never tried to take the bus to the main building--I like to be able to be at a location where I can walk there in just a few minutes--not get on a bus--that's my choice. And also the reason why I chose not to stay at OKW. To me, it's just too much of a hassle to wait for a bus and ride to a pool or food court at my resort.

I guess we all have our needs and desires when it comes to chosing a resort, and some don't mind a more spread out resort. I'm a lot happier when I'm staying somewhere where I can walk to the main pool or food court and gift shop.

I would not have any problem with the size being the same as SSR. But then, I like SSR (it may not be my first or even second choice, but I like having it as a choice just the same). I hope that they make CRV large enough that I am able to get a reservation at 7 months;)

Size can mean two things....acreage and number of villas. I don't know that if there is any land that could handle a resort the acreage of SSR on the monorail, but let's assume that there is. Imagine a monorail station where the boat dock is at SSR. If I'm staying in the Paddocks, for instance, I need to take a bus to get to the monorail. I can't see that as a good idea!

Goodness gracious, how do those folks at the Polynesian handle the drudgery! Now from the Carousel...?

But to get the same number of villas as SSR, that would either be about 50 stories high or relatively long and spread out (in a manner that would put the BWV hallways to shame!). ;)

Seriously? You do realize BWV is 5 stories tall and has 383 rooms and the proposed CRV building will be 16 stories tall. The Tower currently has 15 stories. Total resort size is over 1000 rooms. 50 floors is pushing it just a tad.

5 stories tall and 1/2 mile long

Instead of a 15 minute "walk" to the food court, it will likely be a fifteen minute "wait" for the elevator. LOL!

I would like to see Disney extend the monorail. There is no reason it can't be built to service every resort. Yes I'm serious! It would be a large initial investment but could eliminate most of the bus trafic. Not really that far fetched.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter