DVC contract long term plans

jppeek

Mouseketeer
As I’m reading more and more post I’m curious of how others look at their DVC

I had a son a bit older in age (after almost ten years of trying) and wanted to be able to spend a lot of time in Disney as he grows up.

After researching some, and crunching numbers I bought contracts with plans of doing 2-3 trips a year for 10-15 years and then hopefully selling my contracts and getting at least a decent chunk of my money back. Then I would have gotten to stay in some amazing resorts, with villas for a fraction of the cost.

Do most people buy with the intentions of keeping the entire length of the contract or has anyone else bought with a similiar mind set?

As I’m reading more and more post I’m a bit concerned that history may not be a great indicator of the future with the changes to restrictions.

Thank you to anyone who replies :)

We purchased in 2004 with intent to hold for ~15 years as needed to secure rooms for an annual tech conference held at the Dolphin/Swan facilities. The conference ended a few years back ... but we are still hanging on to the points with a loose grip. For now, we are enjoying "vacationing" on the points ... especially locally at the Grand Cal ... but if that becomes difficult ... we're sorta ready to sell.

To us, the biggest deterrent on selling is that the action is a one-way door given the restrictions. Once we sell ... there will be no path for us to return.

We purchased in 2004 with intent to hold for ~15 years as needed to secure rooms for an annual tech conference held at the Dolphin/Swan facilities. The conference ended a few years back ... but we are still hanging on to the points with a loose grip. For now, we are enjoying "vacationing" on the points ... especially locally at the Grand Cal ... but if that becomes difficult ... we're sorta ready to sell.

To us, the biggest deterrent on selling is that the action is a one-way door given the restrictions. Once we sell ... there will be no path for us to return.
I wonder if when the times comes I will Feel the same way and my best laid plans will change lol. Thank you for the reply!

We bought resale for our first contract and decided that we wanted to keep it the length of the contract (home resort of Saratoga Springs with some 30 some years left on the contract). Our reasoning is that we would be able to use it for the life of the contract (we'll be in our late 60s by then). We have an 18 month old and another one on the way and we thought about getting another contract at Bay Lake Tower to own for about 10 years for the sole purpose of having something walking distance to MK for our daughters. We aren't in love with the theming of the resort, but who can beat walking distance to MK. We eventually decided against it however, only because we knew in reality that we'd want to keep the next contract that we get because the wife and I are disney lovers and even if our children outgrew it, we'd still make use of the contract. So, we decided to change strategies and pursue a contract where we actually wanted to stay at (Grand Floridian).

I know there's a lot of prevailing strategies on choosing if, when, and where to buy in. If you do buy in with the intention to sell in 10-15 years, I'd say choose a home resort that's popular to stay at on it's own. If DVC has more stringent resale restrictions in the future such that buyers would be limited to staying at that resort, I'm sure my Saratoga points would lose all value since they're used as sleep-around points, whereas a contract at Poly or Grand Floridian might retain their values in those scenarios.

We bought resale for our first contract and decided that we wanted to keep it the length of the contract (home resort of Saratoga Springs with some 30 some years left on the contract). Our reasoning is that we would be able to use it for the life of the contract (we'll be in our late 60s by then). We have an 18 month old and another one on the way and we thought about getting another contract at Bay Lake Tower to own for about 10 years for the sole purpose of having something walking distance to MK for our daughters. We aren't in love with the theming of the resort, but who can beat walking distance to MK. We eventually decided against it however, only because we knew in reality that we'd want to keep the next contract that we get because the wife and I are disney lovers and even if our children outgrew it, we'd still make use of the contract. So, we decided to change strategies and pursue a contract where we actually wanted to stay at (Grand Floridian).

I know there's a lot of prevailing strategies on choosing if, when, and where to buy in. If you do buy in with the intention to sell in 10-15 years, I'd say choose a home resort that's popular to stay at on it's own. If DVC has more stringent resale restrictions in the future such that buyers would be limited to staying at that resort, I'm sure my Saratoga points would lose all value since they're used as sleep-around points, whereas a contract at Poly or Grand Floridian might retain their values in those scenarios.
So I bought Poly, GF, and Saratoga (Saratoga for the purpose of mostly using elsewhere). Love the epcot area but with those ending in 2042 I figured I wouldn’t be able to sell for much by the time I was done.

I got an amazing deal on my Poly when I bought, but with Poly 2 coming and some of the chats I follow sounding 100% convinced it won’t be an add on but a new exclusive with restrictions I’m starting to worry what my long term value will be. I felt so good in my plan but now very much second guessing it lol

Thank you for the reply!

So I bought Poly, GF, and Saratoga (Saratoga for the purpose of mostly using elsewhere). Love the epcot area but with those ending in 2042 I figured I wouldn’t be able to sell for much by the time I was done.

I got an amazing deal on my Poly when I bought, but with Poly 2 coming and some of the chats I follow sounding 100% convinced it won’t be an add on but a new exclusive with restrictions I’m starting to worry what my long term value will be. I felt so good in my plan but now very much second guessing it lol

Thank you for the reply!
Sorry misread your original post, thought you were just looking into joining DVC now (it's getting late haha). Yea, who knows what'll happen with Poly 2. We've thought about selling off our Saratoga points to buy Poly 2 direct (regardless of whether it'll be part of Poly 1 or not), but we'll see what happens!

Sorry misread your original post, thought you were just looking into joining DVC now (it's getting late haha). Yea, who knows what'll happen with Poly 2. We've thought about selling off our Saratoga points to buy Poly 2 direct (regardless of whether it'll be part of Poly 1 or not), but we'll see what happens!
Oh no problem, and yeah all we can do is wait and see what it will be. That craziness has me second guessing myself a bit. Anyway thanks again and have a goodnight!

We are in the process of selling one of our contracts. We plan to enjoy the other for another 10 years. Then at that point, our kids can use it or we will sell it.
I'm good with either option. In 10 years, my wife figures we will be too old to enjoy going. Or we can sell our contract and go on the money we get from selling it.

We first purchased DVC points about 20-years ago and never had a planned exit timeframe or strategy, but did take some measure of comfort in knowing that there was an active resale market should we decide to sell. We've sold our original contracts along the way for various reasons and then later bought new contracts as the pull of DVC lured us back in.

Nobody can really be sure what the state of affairs will be for DVC and the resale market 10-15 years down the road. New resorts will be built, the 2042 resorts will be sunsetting not too further after, and the restrictions on all of the resale points bought and sold since 2019 may reshape how folks have to use their points.

Time will tell and it will be an interesting ride.

We bought direct over 20 years ago - three kids. We had no intentions of selling them in the future. We added on a few times. We also took some comfort in knowing there was a strong resale market if the need came up.

As empty nesters, we are still enjoying our contracts as adults, adults with friends, family, our kids and grandchildren. I don't see us selling anytime in the future. We have been done adding on for a long time. Our points more than meet our needs. We have used them to trade once (II), taken many DCL cruises (using a combination of cash only, points only and cash and points), Hilton Head and Vero Beach.

We have enjoyed other non/disney/non DVC vacations too and will continue to do so when we can squeeze them in. My two sons have their own small contracts too (they use some of my points when and if needed. My daughter and SIL use some points here and there too).

Are there several reasons for selling? Yes. I can list a few. So I never say never. But for now. We are good and hope to keep them until we can't visit anymore :)

Last edited:
I think very few people knowingly do this going in. I have read on this board over the years that a surprisingly high number of people end up selling their contracts in 10-20 years for various reasons, with most probably never suspecting they would do so. The DVC Resale Market (see what I did there?) still amazes me with its ability to maintain and sustain, and even grow in price relative to other timeshares. Honestly, we had no idea about any of this going in. We figured it was just another $0.10 timeshare, but it was just another $0.10 timeshare we wanted a piece of. We tell people all the time on here to never buy DVC as an investment, and while that's not what you're implying doing; it would be the net of your actions had you purchased 20 years ago and be at the selling end today. But that may not be the case tomorrow.

Who knows what tomorrow's market brings, especially 15-20 years from now. So many things can and will change. You will be in a totally different place then from where you are now, and none of us has a crystal ball to know where that may be. Buy now to enjoy now, but buy with your eyes wide open and the knowledge gained as you do your research now. Research I dare say many of us never bothered to do.

We purchased 800+ points in 2008 in 4 separate contracts. We enjoyed the points immensely when our boys were growing up. We had many great Disney vacations.

But, we took our kids too much and one ended up hating Disney. So, we started to sell the contracts. We are in the process of selling our third contract right now. It is selling for double what we paid for it. We are keeping 270 BWV points for now - it is mine and my husband‘s favorite place to stay. We do not go to Disney much now - we just don’t enjoy it anymore. We discovered cruising a few years back and it is just so much better than the parks for us.

My husband and I bought at Riviera in 2021. We have 2 small kids (11 months & 3 years old) and we love Disney! No plans to sell, we’ll ride that out ..unless life circumstances change.

We are currently in ROFR for 50 points at Vero Beach (subsidized dues), and we plan to see in 10 years if we want to sell. We may get bored of annual beach vacations? Or, add-on somewhere else and use them at Vero as a replacement. Who knows, but this contract was bought with resale as a possibility before 2042.

Bought 2 years ago with 2 small children. The plan is obviously to hold until our deed expires in 2054 and be able to take our grandchildren. We've discussed that in the event that we want to take a few years off, we can always sell points vs selling the contract. Even if we do get Disney fatigue, Saratoga and OKW are great places to stay that are not overly Disney that can be used as out hotel as we explore other area parks and attractions.

As I’m reading more and more post I’m curious of how others look at their DVC

I had a son a bit older in age (after almost ten years of trying) and wanted to be able to spend a lot of time in Disney as he grows up.

After researching some, and crunching numbers I bought contracts with plans of doing 2-3 trips a year for 10-15 years and then hopefully selling my contracts and getting at least a decent chunk of my money back. Then I would have gotten to stay in some amazing resorts, with villas for a fraction of the cost.

Do most people buy with the intentions of keeping the entire length of the contract or has anyone else bought with a similiar mind set?

As I’m reading more and more post I’m a bit concerned that history may not be a great indicator of the future with the changes to restrictions.

Thank you to anyone who replies :)
Life laughs at us all as we make plans. Life happens, plans change.

17 years ago, I bought a timeshare... called DVC. The purpose was to prepay future vacations until the contract expired. I have added on and sold my timeshare contracts both direct and resale. My most recent purchase was at VGF2. But I was born in 1952, so you do the math. When I pass, they go to DD and she can decide what happens to them. I guess you could consider that my "exit strategy" LOL

I like the deluxe resorts and this, I found to be the most economical way to enjoy them. I'm always amazed at people who see it as an "investment" with an expectation that will retain or grow in value over time. I look at it like my car... I bought a product which I anticipated would depreciate in value over time. Did I make money when I sold some contracts? Yes, but that was never a plan... thought myself lucky that the market allowed it.

Bought a 2042 resort with a mix of resale and direct in 2021.
We are a young family so we plan to hold until 2042 and hope for an extension...

We bought in 1992, our daughter was 5 and our son wasn’t here yet😀.

Fast forward 30 years, daughter 35, son 27, grandsons 9 and 4. While we don’t use it as much as we used to and we rent out points to cover annual dues, our current feeling is we will keep it until 2042. It is amazing that we could sell it for 150% of what we bought it for, or a little more.

mac_tlc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter