DVC and Business

Mnymkr11

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone! It’s been a minute since I’ve been on the boards but I had a question and y’all are the smartest Dis Fans around so here I am. I know I can buy a contract using my business (we have clients n the area, might as well make use of the resorts when we are there), my question would be, what would y’all thing the best bang for the buck would be, 1 large contract or several smaller ones over multiple resorts? Also I own 2 contracts personally and love them but with acquiring a “corporate” DVC, which resort would be most beneficial IYO? And lastly, would it be beneficial to go through Disney themselves (inflated prices 🤮) for a large purchase instead of resale? Thanks for the insights everyone!

Great questions! I have stayed at Disney resorts on several occasions for business activities in Orlando, but usually have paid cash for those stays or rented points for a stay. As a DVC owner, I do like the idea of staying in DVC for business, but I have not done this before.

Just a few follow-up questions for you relative to your use needs so we can better answer your questions:

1. Relative to your business travel, are you able to plan well in advance for your business trips?
  2. Will you need to host business clients at your resort for meetings?
  3. How important is proximity of transportation to the resort relative to times that you may need to leave the resort for business activities or to meet with clients?
  4. Do you need to host clients for formal lunch or dinner meetings, and if so what types of food preferences do you have?
  5. Do you have specific room needs when you travel that may be different than those that you have during stage for vacation or non-business related activities?
  6. How long will your business retain these contracts and do you wish to sell some or all of your points in increments at sometime in the future?
  7. What things do you look for in a business accommodation with respect to hotels which may be different than hotels that you use for vacation travel?
Thanks!

For ‘business bang’! - I’d get VGF - just having that flagship moniker - to me - lends it a bit higher on the impress list…and I’d go with multiple medium sized contracts rather than 1 large…

I would go with Riviera. The direct price discounts right now are hard to beat. You can buy 200 points direct at less then you might pay for VGF resale. The pricing through 7/13 is $176 per point for 200-249 points for current owners.

For ‘business bang’! - I’d get VGF - just having that flagship moniker - to me - lends it a bit higher on the impress list…and I’d go with multiple medium sized contracts rather than 1 large…
Good comments, I agree that VGF is classic and striking. Certainly does make sense to buy multiple contacts rather than one large contract relative to non-business uses - but don’t know if this creates any additional complexity from a business perspedrive.

Great questions! I have stayed at Disney resorts on several occasions for business activities in Orlando, but usually have paid cash for those stays or rented points for a stay. As a DVC owner, I do like the idea of staying in DVC for business, but I have not done this before.

Just a few follow-up questions for you relative to your use needs so we can better answer your questions:

1. Relative to your business travel, are you able to plan well in advance for your business trips?
  2. Will you need to host business clients at your resort for meetings?
  3. How important is proximity of transportation to the resort relative to times that you may need to leave the resort for business activities or to meet with clients?
  4. Do you need to host clients for formal lunch or dinner meetings, and if so what types of food preferences do you have?
  5. Do you have specific room needs when you travel that may be different than those that you have during stage for vacation or non-business related activities?
  6. How long will your business retain these contracts and do you wish to sell some or all of your points in increments at sometime in the future?
  7. What things do you look for in a business accommodation with respect to hotels which may be different than hotels that you use for vacation travel?
Thanks!
Hey Joey thanks for the reply! i will list out answers in the same order you asked.

1. We are able to plan well in advance. Most of the points will likely be given to our employees as a thank you! (we are a small tight knit company of 52 employees. When my business partner (BP) and I want to use them, we will definitely be able to plan in advance.

2. We probably won't be hosting clients at the resort, it is possible that we book a few nights and give them away to clients as a thank you/appreciation.

3. For personal stuff, we love being close to the action and using disney transportation (i own at VGF and BW currently) but for this instance, we wouldn't really care.

4. If we host clients for a meal, outside of a few select Disney restaurants, we would most likely host off property. The Orlando area has some excellent choices that, frankly, put disney restaurants to shame.

5. In regards to rooms, if its my family going, my wife and I have 4 kids. So we usually rent a 2 BR, a 2br and a studio, or a grand villa. BP is just him and his wife and i believe the largest family that we have outside of mine is a family of 7 (one is in a crib) so realistically there might be a time where we have to reserve multiple rooms.

6. Well i would like to say we will keep the clients indefinitely but lets be real, we never really know. The 2 companies that we work with in FL have been our clients for 4.5 years and i would like to think we have a good relationship. There were there when we started and we now have exclusive rights to all their warehousing/storage and logistics. Again, hoping we have them for a looooong time.

7. Business-wise, i don't know if Disney resorts are really "for business"... I think i would probably use this mostly for leisure and gifting and "schmoozing"

I really really appreciate everyone's feedback!

There is specific IRS guidance on stuff like this, for vacation homes generally and timeshares specifically. This is advanced tax planning.
I figured there was some sort of regulation and definitely wouldn't pull the trigger until i spoke with our tax professional. I understand nothing on these boards is to be taken as financial advice.

Always NFA

Yeah I can see that. We love staying at VGF on our personal contract but i will be honest, I often get treated better when we stay at Grand Floridian not on our points. And we secretly LOVE AKL lol

1. We are able to plan well in advance. Most of the points will likely be given to our employees as a thank you! (we are a small tight knit company of 52 employees. When my business partner (BP) and I want to use them, we will definitely be able to plan in advance.
This is critical for DVC usage but can be a barrier for some who are considering DVC purchases. Checking this box for planning goes a long way in assisting with availability.
2. We probably won't be hosting clients at the resort, it is possible that we book a few nights and give them away to clients as a thank you/appreciation.
In this circumstance, probably the most important concept that many have discussed here is “buy where you want to stay.” Personally, I own CCV and VGF for these reasons – and these are such individual choices. I have used my personally owned VGF points to provide trips for my business associates as a gift or thank you on multiple occasions. For a first time trip for a family, VGF is one of the classic deluxe resorts, and is often what people associate with Disney (right or wrong – not trying to create a debate on what is best, just making a general statement of opinion).
3. For personal stuff, we love being close to the action and using disney transportation (i own at VGF and BW currently) but for this instance, we wouldn't really care.
I think if business needs in your resort choice (conference/meeting rooms, dining for clients, etc.) are low, then you have a lot of flexibility in your resort choice.
4. If we host clients for a meal, outside of a few select Disney restaurants, we would most likely host off property. The Orlando area has some excellent choices that, frankly, put disney restaurants to shame.
This gives you so many options - if proximity of resort or in-park restaurants is not critical
5. In regards to rooms, if its my family going, my wife and I have 4 kids. So we usually rent a 2 BR, a 2br and a studio, or a grand villa. BP is just him and his wife and i believe the largest family that we have outside of mine is a family of 7 (one is in a crib) so realistically there might be a time where we have to reserve multiple rooms.
I’m in the same boat for my family. The recent increase in studios at VGF was a positive factor for me in having more flexibility to book a 2-bedroom and a concurrent studio. Studios can be hard to come by at some resorts.
6. Well i would like to say we will keep the clients indefinitely but lets be real, we never really know. The 2 companies that we work with in FL have been our clients for 4.5 years and i would like to think we have a good relationship. There were there when we started and we now have exclusive rights to all their warehousing/storage and logistics. Again, hoping we have them for a looooong time.
I suppose if there is any uncertainty, it’s probably wise to consider your selling threshold as you buy points. I agree that if you purchase it could be very smart to purchase multiple smaller contracts (100-150 point increments for example) that would allow you to downsize and still have access to the same resort. Historically, smaller point contracts actually have higher per point value if you sell them on the resale market than large contracts (400 points for example).
7. Business-wise, i don't know if Disney resorts are really "for business"... I think i would probably use this mostly for leisure and gifting and "schmoozing"
Going for a resort with a lot of boxes checked may be smart in this circumstance: close to a Disney park (walkable?), great on site restaurants, lots of on-site amenities, close to Disney activities (golf, etc.), close to a Disney exclusive form of transportation (monorail, skyliner), great pools, great lounges, etc.

There are many here with much more experience than me, but hopefully this helps. Again, I currently own at VGF and CCV. Honestly, CCV is my favorite for my family. If it were not for the current length of the remaining contract at BCV, I’d also own there. I absolutely love AKV as well, but this may not be the classic Disney resort for business, and transportation can be a bit of an issue. I like it because it does feel somewhat removed from the rest of Disney and the theming and restaurants are amazing, but I’m concerned that it may not check many of the boxes you are looking for in this purchase. The Poly is great too, but I don’t think it currently meets all of your needs (no 2 bedroom, etc) – this may change substantially when the new Poly building opens. Finally, I don’t have any personal experience with RIV other than briefly walking through on a recent trip. I’ll yield to others on this resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter